Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

offthebeatentrack

There have been numerous players who have played out of their level and have played so much football that they burnout by their early 20's. This is an unfortunate situation. Clubs and Counties want to do well and will pick and play their best players at that given time, no matter what age bracket they lie in, IMO! I believe, especially underage players should only play in their age group. However alot of these players want to play in the older age groups especially if they are making their place and playing well. It happens in every county and it is one of the reasons player burnout should be looked at. In a given year a player might be playing, club U21, and senior, college football and Intercounty football. This is too much football in one season and the body needs a break especially as playing competitive football is so tough!

anglocelt39

Report from Celt on W'meath match, they do seem to be improving (the Celt that is). Very interesting chat about the possible line up for championship. Can't add much I'm afraid but somebody's comment that we can't afford to have too many lads who are a bit small in stature in the forward did stick out, this has been a killer for us over the past several years. Mackey and Martin Reilly seem to be on form at the moment and we know what Johnston can do, do we suffer something if all three line out? Martin Reilly impresses me and seems to be as game as they come but I recall him having a bit of stagefright against Armagh in the Championship last year which can happen to any lad, hopefully he will be more comfortable this time out if he gets the chance.

Positive performance by Cavan in challenge
by Paul Fitzpatrick
Print |  Email

Cian Mackey, who had an excellent game for Cavan, sets up an attack.
Pic by: James Brady

Westmeath 1-12

Cavan 0-15

Paul Fitzpatrick

at Cusack Park, Mullingar

A lively Cavan side, minus a number of regulars, drew with an almost full-strength Westmeath in this well-contested senior football challenge in excellent conditions at Cusack Park last Saturday evening.

While the intensity petered out in the closing stages of the match, which was played in a format of three 25-minute periods, there were plenty of hard hits and the workrate, for both teams, was impressive throughout.

A feature of the match was Cavan's ability to strike fast on the break. Having opened the scoring with a pointed free from the excellent Cian Mackey in the third minute, Cavan's next score came at the end of one such move when Nicholas Walsh and Martin Reilly combined to set up Mackey for a sweet score on the run.

Having made most of the early running, Cavan were hauled back in the ninth minute when Thomas McDaniel latched on to a pass from David Shaughnessy, cut through a gap in the Cavan full-back line and planted the ball in the bottom of the net, giving Fintan Reilly no chance.

In perfect conditions for attacking football, Cavan continued to press forward with Mackey and Micheal Lyng linking defence and attack to great effect. The latter saw a shot unluckily rebound off the upright after a nice move in the 13th minute and from the next attack, the reliable Dessie Dolan curled over a free to make it 1-1 to 0-2.

Conor Lynam extended Westmeath's lead on the quarter hour mark, collecting a quick free following a foul by Michael Brides - who went on to turn in a super second half - and tapping over from close range.

Cavan replied immediately with a brilliant point, Hannon starting a flowing move which involved Lyng and Jason O'Reilly and resulted in Larry Reilly firing over a neat right-footed score.

A Dolan free was cancelled out by a 40 metre point from Larry as Cavan continued to play the betetr football and their play was rewarded when Mackey slotted over his third point to leave a point in it in favour of Westmeath, 1-3 to 0-5, at the end of the first period.

A close-range Mackey free, following a foul on Nicholas Walsh, brought the sides level just after the restart.

Martin Reilly and Dolan exchanged frees before Ciaran Galligan nudged Cavan in front again with a neat point on the run.

Westmeath, who featured around a dozen of what is expected to make up their championship team, got little change out of a battling Cavan defence for long periods after the opening flurry and were reliant Dolan's placed balls for scores.

Two quick points from the full-forward, the second from play, saw the lead change hands but Cavan were soon back on level terms after a tidy point from Lyng, following good work by Martin Reilly.

Jason O'Reilly, who displayed a huge workrate as usual, pushed Cavan in front again with a punched point and substitute David Givney, who caught the eye with a couple of mesmerising catches, stretched the lead to two with another after Lyng and Martin Reilly had combined well.

Dolan set up David Duffy to bring the gap back to one, 0-11 to 1-7, as the second period drew to a close.

Despite a number of personnel changes, the intensity of the match dropped in the third period. Dessie Dolan helped himself to two quick points, the second of which came from play from the right touchline and was the score of the match, but Rya Cullivan – who showed well on his introduction – delivered a super pass for Mackey to tie matters once more.

Sub Barry Watters, who will provide an extra option for Tom Carr now that he has recovered fitness, set up Martin Reilly for another as the match opened up completely.

Dermot Sheridan, Michael Brides and Padraig O'Reilly battled hard as Cavan held off the Westmeath forwards under sustained pressure for five minutes and on a rare foray, Lorcan Mulvey curled over a fine point to put two in it for Cavan.

Another Dolan free, this time from 30 metres, was cancelled out by Sean Brady as Cavan looked set to hold on.

However, a tidy point by Conrad Reilly and, fittingly, a Dolan free drew Westmeath level as the match petered out.

CAVAN: Fintan Reilly, Michael Brides, Dermot Sheridan, Michael Hannon, Padraig O'Reilly, Eugene Keating, John McCutcheon, Nicholas Walsh, Ciaran Galligan (0-1), Cian Mackey (0-5, 1f), Micheal Lyng, Sean Brady (0-1), Jason O'Reilly (0-1), Larry Reilly (0-2), Martin Reilly (0-2, 1f)

SUBS: Eoin Smith, David Givney (0-1), Ray Cullivan, Lorcan Mulvey (0-1), Paul Brady, Barry Watters

WESTMEATH: Gary Connaughton, Finian Doyle, Jim Gavin, Alan Claffey, Michael Ennis, Derek Heavin, Donal O'Donoghue, David Shaughnessy, David Duffy (0-1), Conrad Reilly (0-1), John Smith, Doran Harte, Thomas McDaniel (1-1), Dessie Dolan (0-9, 7f), Conor Lynam
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

Dessie Dolan kicked 7 frees that not a good sign for our defence.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Just a small point when we're guessing at the likely team for the championship. Larry was named at 14 against Westmeath and he spent the latter stages of the league coming out and playing as an extra man around the middle. It could well be that TC is going to go with 2 men inside given that he hasn't tried Cullivan in there and I don't think Givney has been used in there (in competive games) since the Longford match. ???

mylestheslasher

So whats the story with James Reilly not playing in any of the last few games. I heard a rumor that he has fallen out with management - anyone know if this is true?

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 14, 2009, 09:58:54 PM
So whats the story with James Reilly not playing in any of the last few games. I heard a rumor that he has fallen out with management - anyone know if this is true?

He came off injured in a challenge game, i think he will be alright for championship.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: RednBlack on May 14, 2009, 10:17:23 PM
you can be guaranteed TC is going to go with two inside and that Mackey will come in off the right side to sweep around the middle of the park. Go in and watch a training session and its very obvious whats being rehearsed. Even the patterns of build up play form the back. No backwards ball and kick pass forward as much as possible.

Well I am glad to see that they are working on a game plan - something that was obviously missing in previous years.

cavanmaniac

I dunno about these gameplans lads.

I for one am really going to miss the WORRRRRRRRRRKRAAAAAAAAATE.

:'(

whats my name

i was at the westmeath game and james Reilly was there as was Rory Dunne but none of them were togged out for some reason. but we need miller in the goals he is like the shay given of newcastle when he was with them. shit defence but still managed 2 keep them in games when they were being over run.

anglocelt39

Rednblack you seem to be keeping a particularly close eye on the action even getting as far as taking in a few training sessions and the likes. Now I've lost count of the number of times during the past several years where Mattie Kerrigan/Dermot McCabe/Sean Johnston have been in the media telling us how well training is going only for the results to suggest something else. What's your feeling on how the camp is set at the moment as regards morale, committment, reaction to new management team etc? Can you guage from the training sessions? Has the way the departures of Mckeever and McCabe been handled had a positive impact or......

Myles, wouldn't be so sure about Fermanagh being the opposition, certainly their League run wasn't up to much. Down will have a (small) amount of impetus from Div 3 promotion and, probably more importantly, under 21 run.

If we can win 1 championship game, one backdoor game, not get disgraced elsewhere and lads like McCutcheon, Galligan and one or two others show an aptitude for championship football I'll put that down as progress in a difficult enough year. Here's hoping.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

I think posters should be careful about what is said in relations to tactics on this.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavan4ever on May 15, 2009, 01:56:40 PM
I think posters should be careful about what is said in relations to tactics on this.

I think it will be wet and windy on Sunday. I think Fermanagh will love that. I think that pitch is tight and is notoriously difficult to get a result in. Fermanagh will try and make a war out of this game and it all depends if Down have the balls to dig in and fight back. I don't think they have to be honest.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 15, 2009, 02:59:37 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on May 15, 2009, 01:56:40 PM

I think it will be wet and windy on Sunday. I think Fermanagh will love that. I think that pitch is tight and is notoriously difficult to get a result in. Fermanagh will try and make a war out of this game and it all depends if Down have the balls to dig in and fight back. I don't think they have to be honest.

Are you on the party pills again myles.

cavan4ever

Carr announces championship panel

Cavan manager Tommy Carr
15 May 2009

Cavan senior football manager Tommy Carr has announced a 31-man panel for his side's championship campaign this summer.

After much speculation, the Tipperary man has opted not to include veteran midfielder Dermot McCabe in his selections, while Gowna club mate and former captain Mark McKeever is also left out after being dropped by Carr early on during the Breffni County's league campaign.

New captain Ronan Flanagan is obviously included and there are two goalkeepers selected with two-time All Star nominee James Reilly and Redhills' Fintan Reilly making the cut, while four recognised midfielders have been chosen in Nicholas Walsh, Lorcan Mulvey, Ciaran Galligan and Ray Cullivan to try and fill the void left by McCabe.

Carr has also brushed aside recent rumors that ace attacker Sean Johnston will be missing his county's championship campaign by selecting the Cavan Gaels sharpshooter in the squad.

There are three new faces that come into the panel since Cavan concluded their NFL campaign at the end of last month; Killygarry defender Eoin Smith and Under 21 stalwarts Gearoid McKiernan and Tomas O'Reilly.

Cavan kick-off their championship campaign one June 6 against the winners of this Sunday's Ulster SFC opener between Fermanagh and Down, who they will meet in either Kingspan Breffni Park or Pairc Esler, Newry in the quarter-finals depending on the outcome of this weekend's encounter.

Cavan SFC panel 2009: Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), James Reilly (Drung), Fintan Reilly (Redhills), Paul Brady (Mullahoran), Michael Brides (St Oliver Plunketts), Rory Dunne (Redhills), John McCutcheon (Cootehill), Keith Fannin (Drumgoon), Michael Hannon (Drumgoon), Padraig O'Reilly (Ballinagh), Dermot Sheridan (Mullahoran), Ciaran Galligan (Drung), Nicholas Walsh (Cavan Gaels), Lorcan Mulvey (Butlersbridge), Ray Cullivan (Ballyhaise), David Givney (Mountnugent), Larry Reilly (Knockbride), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Eddie O'Reilly (Mullahoran), Jason O'Reilly (Belturbet), Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels), Micheal Lyng (Cavan Gaels), Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Gerald Pierson (Gowna), Eugene Keating (Cuchulainns), Martin Cahill (Denn), Sean Brady (Castlerahan), Eoin Smith (Killygarry), Barry Watters (Drung), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Tomas Reilly (Killeshandra).

BallyhaiseMan

Wouldnt worry about talking about tactics lads,
Malachy O Rourke will know all about us, if Fermanagh get through and Ross Carr/DJ Kane have already seen some of our tactics in the League game in Newry.

Anglocelt said what he believed would be a good championship for us.

For me
I sincerely believe we will beat Fermanagh if they get through with home advantage(i dont think we would beat them in Enniskillen)
It will be very hard to go down to Newry and get a result if its Down we are playing.(i wouldnt be confident at all)
If we can get through to the Ulster Semi Final,Then probably Donegal will await, in Clones, Again a very winnable game.
An Ulster Final apperance is a reasonable goal this year in my opinion,
An Ulster Title is very unlikely because i dont think we would beat any of the 4 in the other side of the draw,but you never know on the day i suppose.
3 Wins in the Championship this year would be significant progress.