Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

I see our hurlers came very close to a first win in the Ulster championship, losing by 1 point away to Fermanagh. It would be nice for them to get some reward for what must be a tough station. There does seem to be some progress there though. Anyone hear how the team bonding weekend went?

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 10, 2009, 08:43:56 PM
Anyone hear how the team bonding weekend went?

Was McKeever there? :P

Homer

Cavan drew with Westmeath down in Mullingar at the weekend. Haven't hear teams or anything, but apparently they played quite well.

whats my name

i was at the game in mullingar the team that started was fintain reilly,hannon,sheridan,brides,mc cutheon,keating,podge,galligan,walsh,sean brady,mackey,lyng,larry,jason,martain reilly. they played very well could have one it but the defence is a major problem anytime the ball comes near them your on edge they cant cope with high ball and its a major worry coming to championship.

Western Blue

Since Dermot McCabe 'hung up his boots' the team seem to be playing better football despite the losses against Galway/Westmeath in the knowledge that his dressing room influence is not a treat? As I see it, the defence in the games to date are tryinghard and are under pressure but we just don't have the quality defenders in the county now or in the last 10 years , which is a pity as we are getting 50/50 ball in midfield and the forwards  capable of roasting any opposition this summer. Fingers crossed we can be a surprise in Ulster this summer!!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Western Blue on May 11, 2009, 10:49:47 PM
Since Dermot McCabe 'hung up his boots' the team seem to be playing better football despite the losses against Galway/Westmeath in the knowledge that his dressing room influence is not a treat? As I see it, the defence in the games to date are tryinghard and are under pressure but we just don't have the quality defenders in the county now or in the last 10 years , which is a pity as we are getting 50/50 ball in midfield and the forwards  capable of roasting any opposition this summer. Fingers crossed we can be a surprise in Ulster this summer!!

Agreed, but if we couldf unearth a FB in the next year or two there would be hope. Our FB line is nervous, our corner backs have one eye on their man and one eye on the high ball in as the have no confidence that our FB can deal with it. Maybe in a year or two Dunne will get a bit stronger and do a job for us there. The last 2 decent FB's we had were big strong men (Ciaran Brady and Damian Reilly), we need another. I suppose we can't say carr has not tried to resolve the issue. He's Given Podge a decent amount of games, then Dermot Shierdan and than Eoin Smith (belatedly). I fancy Sheiridan to start the 1st game, get a rough ride and to be replaced by Smith!

Drung

QuoteHe's Given Podge a decent amount of games, then Dermot Shierdan and than Eoin Smith (belatedly

Eoin Smith has only played about two or three challenge matches.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Drung on May 12, 2009, 09:44:14 AM
QuoteHe's Given Podge a decent amount of games, then Dermot Shierdan and than Eoin Smith (belatedly

Eoin Smith has only played about two or three challenge matches.

I know - thats why I put "belatedly" at the end of  the sentence, i.e. he didn't try him early enough.

cavan4ever

Any truth in rumour of Killygarry playing illegal player(s) against Arva and Butlersbridge rednblack?

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on May 12, 2009, 02:56:21 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on May 12, 2009, 02:49:28 PM
Any truth in rumour of Killygarry playing illegal player(s) against Arva and Butlersbridge rednblack?
Haven't heard anything but having been at both games and knowing who played all are members so would say its a rumour. What did you hear or whats been said?

It was a fellow that plays for Bridge that told me.  They have it that Killygarry played someone they shouldnt have against Arva and themselves.  Arva are suposed to be appealing to county board about it but Bridge arent because they won.   Someone from their first 12 is what i was told. 

Drung

Eoin is a good footballer, but let's be serious - he's no Darren Fay. The attitude on here is that he will solve all of Cavan's defensive problems, but he won't. If he improves quite a bit  - which he could well a lot of players do when they get on a county panel  - and grows into the role, he'll do well. But that's a big if.

He is no better than Hannon, Dunne etc. Of course, he is also no worse and is probably worth his place on the panel, but he has had a couple of games and hasn't set the world alight with high fielding or big hits or any of the rest that rightly or wrongly we tend to associate with the traditional full-back.
Plus, he is injury prone. And the last thing we need is another defender with dodgy hamstrings/knees/head [insert here]...

QuoteTed has got all of about 45 minutes to impress TC at FB. He has been mostly played int he corner. He has also just done his hamstring so God knows when he will be back.

Red n Black, in the current era, where teams often play two players inside instead of three, the positions are evry much inter-changeable.
Ted marked a Bradshaw lad who was way over six foot against Galway according to the report I read, so even if he wasn't wearing number three, he can rest assured that he got his aerial ability round the square and all of the other traits you need in a full back tested.

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on May 12, 2009, 03:54:30 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on May 12, 2009, 03:10:15 PM
Quote from: RednBlack on May 12, 2009, 02:56:21 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on May 12, 2009, 02:49:28 PM
Haven't heard anything but having been at both games and knowing who played all are members so would say its a rumour. What did you hear or whats been said?

It was a fellow that plays for Bridge that told me.  They have it that Killygarry played someone they shouldnt have against Arva and themselves.  Arva are suposed to be appealing to county board about it but Bridge arent because they won.   Someone from their first 12 is what i was told. 

Not true. One lad who played was originally on the first 12 back at start of year but got moved off it long ago. They are probably going by the list published in the blue book but as we all know that is out of date as soon as it is published!!!

I didnt think it would be a stunt a club would play in division 3 anyway. 

whats my name

i was at the westmeath game and eoin smith came on for hannon and i was actually surprised by the way he played he won the ball off his man 3 times when it was played into him and dispossessed a man for a half a goal chance i thought he gave a good account of himself

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on May 12, 2009, 03:43:26 PM
Eoin is a good footballer, but let's be serious - he's no Darren Fay. The attitude on here is that he will solve all of Cavan's defensive problems, but he won't. If he improves quite a bit  - which he could well a lot of players do when they get on a county panel  - and grows into the role, he'll do well. But that's a big if.

He is no better than Hannon, Dunne etc. Of course, he is also no worse and is probably worth his place on the panel, but he has had a couple of games and hasn't set the world alight with high fielding or big hits or any of the rest that rightly or wrongly we tend to associate with the traditional full-back.Plus, he is injury prone. And the last thing we need is another defender with dodgy hamstrings/knees/head [insert here]...

QuoteTed has got all of about 45 minutes to impress TC at FB. He has been mostly played int he corner. He has also just done his hamstring so God knows when he will be back.

Red n Black, in the current era, where teams often play two players inside instead of three, the positions are evry much inter-changeable.
Ted marked a Bradshaw lad who was way over six foot against Galway according to the report I read, so even if he wasn't wearing number three, he can rest assured that he got his aerial ability round the square and all of the other traits you need in a full back tested.
Your commenting on Ted Smith from the reports you read?? I dont think your in any position to judge the lads 2 performances from reading about them. How do you know if he didnt set the world alight? You will find very few Full-backs in Ireland who set the world alight anyway.
Come Championship I think our 2 corner backs should be Michael Hannon and Keith Fannin and I would be very happy with them two men there. Full-Back is a toss of a coin between 3 or 4.
Eoin Smith seems to be very unlucky with injuries.I dont think he goes a full year injury free.

mylestheslasher

So have the county team any further challenges lined up for the coming weeks.

Getting near the time to have a stab at the championship team. Heres mine for what its worth...

James Reilly (has he been in goals since being dropped against Louth?)
Hannon
Sheridan
Fannin
McCutcheon
Flanagan
Brady
Galligan
Walsh
Lyng
Cullivan
Mackey
Johnstone
Pierson
Givney (3rd midfielder)

A lot of lads on the bench that would expect a game too.

I think thats the best we have but on paper looks fairly weak. Should be a fit, athletic enough team though.