Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Didn't here much from the result only that Cavan played well with Galway's goals the only difference between the sides. Was given a quick run through the team...

Miller - came off second half with a tight quad, nothing serious

Fannin - followed Clancy out the field, played ok
Ted - played quite well overall
Hannon - got a bit of a roasting from Nicky Joyce

Podge - Played well
Keating - Unusual position for him, got a run around from Sean Armstrong
McCuthceon - Played well

Walsh - OK
Givney - OK

Mackey - Excellent
Cullivan - Not great
Sean Brady - Didn't hear
Jason - Played well
A.N Other ??
Pearson - Played well

In other news, Mulvey injured the hamstring during the week so will be out for a little while. There's also rumours abound that McCabe has quit the panel, not sure how true they are. Has anyone else heard anything?

Ballinagh lost out to Belturbet on Saturday by 6. A tight enough game throughout, Belturbet only pulled away in the last few minutes as Ballinagh threw everything forward but the Rories deserved the win. Jason showed his class up front, and kicked a couple of excellent points.

And lastly, that Drumlane result is shocking!

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 26, 2009, 11:55:13 PM
better than i thought it would be,We arent anywere near Galways lstandard at the moment so im happy with that.
Ourselves and Cootehill played out an interesting draw 0-14 to ourselves 2-08 Saturday evening. We lead 2-03 to 0-1
Cootehill then outscored us 0-12 to 0-01 over a 30 minute period in the middle of the game,Mark Brennan kicked a great score with the last kick of the game to equalise.
Celt Man what did you think of the game?

Ehh I'm still not too sure how I feel about the game, obviously we got off to a terrible start and 7 points down a few minutes into the second half, I would have taken a draw but anytime time you're winning in injury time and you end up drawing the game you are a little disappointed.  We missed an awful lot, think it was nearly 10 wides in the first half alone and a good few more when we were really on top in the second half.  Maybe though in the end both sides would have been happy enough with a draw, seen as both sides were missing a lot from their championship 15... Were you playing yourself??
BTW what's the story with Cullivan?? He didn't play on Saturday for you but he could play for Cavan in a challenge on Sunday??  Am I missing something here??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

D Best Full Forward ever

Quote from: Homer on April 27, 2009, 10:44:09 AM
Didn't here much from the result only that Cavan played well with Galway's goals the only difference between the sides. Was given a quick run through the team...

Miller - came off second half with a tight quad, nothing serious

Fannin - followed Clancy out the field, played ok
Ted - played quite well overall
Hannon - got a bit of a roasting from Nicky Joyce

Podge - Played well
Keating - Unusual position for him, got a run around from Sean Armstrong
McCuthceon - Played well

Walsh - OK
Givney - OK

Mackey - Excellent
Cullivan - Not great
Sean Brady - Didn't hear
Jason - Played well
A.N Other ??
Pearson - Played well

In other news, Mulvey injured the hamstring during the week so will be out for a little while. There's also rumours abound that McCabe has quit the panel, not sure how true they are. Has anyone else heard anything?

Ballinagh lost out to Belturbet on Saturday by 6. A tight enough game throughout, Belturbet only pulled away in the last few minutes as Ballinagh threw everything forward but the Rories deserved the win. Jason showed his class up front, and kicked a couple of excellent points.

And lastly, that Drumlane result is shocking!

Think Martin Reilly was the An other but dont know if he was playing full forward. Heard he scored 5 points.

Celt_Man

Quote from: D Best Full Forward ever on April 27, 2009, 01:26:29 PM

Think Martin Reilly was the An other but dont know if he was playing full forward. Heard he scored 5 points.

Pierson was full forward with Martin and Jayo either side of him.  Both corner forwards scored 5 points each.

Homer

Actually Cullivan should be AN Other on that team I put up. I didn't have it confirmed who was on the forty and meant to clarify that. All I heard was from a Galway man that their CHB had a good game on whoever our boy was.

whats my name

was talking to one of the lads on the panel today yeah mc cabe has quit the panel for definate.

big balla

Quote from: whats my name on April 27, 2009, 09:03:46 PM
was talking to one of the lads on the panel today yeah mc cabe has quit the panel for definate.
did you hear why he quit?

put-it-up

Quote from: RednBlack on April 27, 2009, 10:57:01 PM
yeah he's heading to South Africa with the Lions in place of O'Leary!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Hahahaah  brilliant red n black, could of come up with a better answer myself!

be surprised if he has quit, thought he woulda seen out the summer and then hang up his boots

sams the aim

yea well lets all hope seanie and all the lads give the championship a right go because the draw has been kind to cavan. Yea heard dermot packed it in its a strange one really after been on d squad for d league. Do the older fells still believe they are Cavan football and still believe 1997 was only last year and thats still the same way to win things. Heard galway was a good performance with a few good performances mackey martin reilly were good i think. Promising performance and hopefully we can keep improving in next six weeks or so.any word on club games d weekend?any good matches in div 1?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: sams the aim on April 27, 2009, 11:39:21 PM
yea well lets all hope seanie and all the lads give the championship a right go because the draw has been kind to cavan. Yea heard dermot packed it in its a strange one really after been on d squad for d league. Do the older fells still believe they are Cavan football and still believe 1997 was only last year and thats still the same way to win things. Heard galway was a good performance with a few good performances mackey martin reilly were good i think. Promising performance and hopefully we can keep improving in next six weeks or so.any word on club games d weekend?any good matches in div 1?
What club are you from Sams The Aim?

Davitt Man

Whats happening in kildallon this year, 1 win out of 6?? Are they missing players?

Celt_Man

From Hoganstand:
McCabe's Cavan future in doubt

Dermot McCabe looks to have played his last game for Cavan after manager Tommy Carr confirmed that he would not be part of his championship plans.

The 33-year-old Gowna colossus wasn't involved with the Breffni County for last Sunday's challenge match defeat to Galway in Headford, and afterwards Carr admitted that he would play no part in this year's championship.

"He hasn't been around for the last two weeks. He was due to be with us in Galway on Sunday, but he didn't come. As far as I am concerned that is the end for this season," he said.

McCabe has been the leading light of Cavan football for over a decade, being an ever-present since breaking into the team in 1995 when they lost the Ulster final. Two years later, the flame-haired midfielder played a starring role as Cavan captured their first Anglo-Celt Cup in nearly 30 years, and he was duly honoured with an All-Star award.

In 1998, he helped Ireland to victory over Australia in the revived International Rules series, but over the last number of years, his career has been blighted by injury, though he remained one of Cavan's best players, either as a midfielder or full forward.

Anyone else hear anything about that???

cavanmaniac

Heard nothing, no, but reading between the lines of what Carr is saying in the article it sounds to me like McCabe wasn't putting it in. He missed a league game a few weeks ago didn't he, and I'd say this latest no-show is the last straw for Carr. Just my own surmising there though. If it's Carr cracking the whip here, I applaud it. Rules are rules and they apply to all.

There's things about McCabe have annoyed us all to distraction down the years but just like it was when Larry was off the panel for a while, his absence will make us appreciate him more. He had many faults and in some ways maybe the panel is better off without him and his domineering ways but overall the fella deserves our thanks for the years of service he gave us in the blue jersey; one of the better players we've produced in the last 20 years.

The GAA

The best player you have produced in that time - if you want to consider producing the goods in championship football the barometer

Drung

Well said TheGAA (terrible name by the way).

McCabe was head and shoulders above them all - consistently brilliant on the big day.