Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 16, 2009, 01:34:09 PM
The reason that the reserve leagues are run so badly is that Gaelic Football is the most elitist sport I've ever came across. No matter what spin managers put on it, no matter if the games are on the same day against the same opposition it's always the same.
This is the level of the game I found myself at when I played and the bullshit ranged from the manager leaving after the senior game to the referee deciding to only play 20 minutes a half. And apart from the likes of Killygarry who always put out strong reserve teams, most clubs reserves will play approximately 6-7 games during the spring and early summer. Then when the championships kick in junior players might as well hang up the boots for 7-8 months as they'll be lucky to be allowed to train never mind play a game. It's always funny to look at the final league tables showing each team in division 6 having played 13 games whereas about 60% of that figure would be more accurate.
Rant on pause. >:(

I agree 100% with ya Lawrence, the thing about refs decided to only play 20 mins a side or something like that, just to get that annoyance of a junior game over with as quickly as possible, really gets on my nerves. 
I rememeber one year our seniors went 6/7 weeks without a game around the start of the summer because Cavan got a middling run in the chamionship that year and ok I wasn't happy but I could understand if not agree with the logical behind playing no club senior game - but why in the name of jaysus was there no junior games on?? Couldn't get my head around it.
And I think the reserve championships should be based on a groups too.  Adds to the whole competitiveness of a competition and as Boojanges said helps competitveness within a club.
I thought it was no coincidence that when Ballinagh won the intermediate title, they also won the  Junior C championship around the same time.  And also got to the Under 21 division 2 final 
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Drung

I don't know what the situation is now but I remember about seven or eight years ago our U16's didn't play a match for the whole of June, July and August!

Celt_Man

Quote from: RednBlack on April 16, 2009, 09:23:20 PM
Quote from: Drung on April 16, 2009, 06:22:41 PM
I don't know what the situation is now but I remember about seven or eight years ago our U16's didn't play a match for the whole of June, July and August!
when you try to arrange games for lads under 16 and down during the summer months you end up with half teams as so many are away on holidays. this year there will be a sevens tournament ran during the summer for under 14s and lots of blitz tournaments for under 12's with a new under 12 league starting in August rather than a championship. Under 16 championship happening in July to give them games with an under 16 sevens happening when they go back to school to give the guys who are not playing schools football more games.
Jaysus never heard anything about that before and I'd be involved in one of those teams... Where did you hear this? Any more information about it?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tierworker blue

This was in the Independent today. What think ye? Going by the games I was at last year (most of 'em) I'm surprised to see us 4th on the list to be honest. I know we're always up there as one of the best supported counties in the country (sometimes you'd wonder why, eh?!) but I thought DK's last year in charge had numbers at the lowest in years. If we're making the top 4 at this moment/standard imagine the numbers that would turn out if we even got a small glimmer of success......it would be unreal!
So if you're up there Jebus......

Fans' devotion to boys in blue confirmed by loyalty trends

Thursday April 16 2009

DUBLIN, Mayo, Monaghan and Cavan have the highest number of loyal football supporters in the country while Kilkenny, Tipperary, Limerick and Galway head the devotion list in hurling, according to receipts from league games.

The figures are based on average gates for home games in the 2008 competitions.

The returns for the 2008 Leagues also show that Division 2 yielded only €7,500 less than Division 1 in football and that between them they yielded a total of €1.52m. Divisions 3 and 4 combined brought in €387,000.

Division 1 of the NHL returned €1.1m while the three lower divisions grossed just €42,000 between them. Hurling finals out-performed football by €51,000 across the four divisions.

The highest-earning divisional games in football were Dublin v Meath (€80,545) and Dublin v Monaghan (€80,382). Both were Division 2 games but comfortably out-stripped the top two in Division 1 (Donegal v Derry, €58,610 and Galway v Mayo, €41,229). Mayo were well ahead of the rest in Division 1 but were lucky that two of their three games features clashed with 2007 All-Ireland champions, Kerry and Galway.

On the basis that supporters who attend league games are more loyal than the summer brigade who turn out for the championships only, the average home gate is a reasonable indicator of loyalty trends.

The huge population imbalances between various counties also has to be taken into account when assessing loyalty figures.

Monaghan had a solid campaign in Division 2, eventually losing out on promotion on the final day while Cavan were relegated. However, Monaghan averaged almost €34,000 in home gate receipts while Cavan reached €31,647.

That's considerably more than all of the Division 1 teams with the exception of Mayo who averaged €41,229. Cavan and Monaghan beat Tyrone, Kerry, Galway, Kildare, Donegal and Derry.

Dublin led the way nationally from Division 2, averaging €49,000 while Wexford, who were promoted, topped Division 3 on €15,498. Wicklow were the biggest home draw in Division 4, averaging €4,136 per game.

Kilkenny and Tipperary led the way in hurling, followed by Limerick, Galway and Wexford. The highest receipts at a Division 1 NHL group game was recorded at Nowlan Park where patrons paid €75,647 for the Kilkenny v Waterford clash while the lowest was €5,100 at Offaly-Clare.

The full house in Croke Park for the Dublin-Tyrone NFL game last January will give this year's figures a major boost but it now remains to be seen how much the Division 1 (Kerry v Derry) and Division 2 (Cork v Monaghan) finals will yield at Croke Park on Sunday week. It's unlikely that the crowd will exceed 25,000. However, that would be a major improvement on last year where less than 10,000 attended.

- Martin Breheny

cavan4ever

That is good enough going because if i remember right there were only 3 home games last year, id say the Monaghan game draged us into that positon.

put-it-up

it is the first I have heard about the restructuring of the underage competitions but it is something I would defo agree with. U12 and even u14 players can benefit alot more from blitz run competitions. Smaller pitches, greater intensity and will improive their basic skills IMO.

I am glad to see the organisers are trying to be progressive.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Anyone got the weekend's fixtures?

put-it-up

Here you go Lawrence

Saturday, 18th April 2009 @ 6pm
Imperial Bar A.C.F.L. Division 1 Round 6
Castlerahan v Denn
Referee:  M G Brady
Lavey v Ballinagh
Referee:  Patrick Brady
Belturbet v Cavan Gaels
Referee:  Raymond Kelly
Ramor Utd v Cuchulainns
Referee:  Jimmy Galligan - Lacken
Redhills v Killygarry
Referee:  Gerry Sheridan
Mullahoran v Crosserlough
Referee:  Martin Sexton
Lacken v Gowna
Referee:  Joe McQuillan

Cathal Brady Audi A.C.F.L. Division 2 Round 6
Drumgoon v Cootehill
Referee:  Martin Brady - Ballinagh
Ballyhaise v Crosserlough (Game at 3pm)
Referee:  Jimmy Galligan - Killygarry
Drung v Killeshandra
Referee:  Oliver O'Reilly
Shercock v Cavan Gaels (Game at 2.30pm)
Referee:  John Smith
Knockbride v Kingscourt
Referee:  Brian Crowe
Drumlane v Killinkere
Referee: John Emmo
Kill v Drumalee
Referee:  Robbie McDermott

John Brady Insurances Ltd A.C.F.L.  Division 3 Round 6
Corlough v Munterconnacht
Referee:  Martin Brady - Lacken
Laragh Utd v Butlersbridge
Referee:  Seamus O'Connor
Bailieboro v Shannon Gaels
Referee:  Darren Ward
Killygarry v Swanlinbar (Game at 3pm)
Referee:  Ollie Donohoe
Mountnugent v Kildallon
Referee:  Raymond Tynan
Arva v Templeport
Referee:  Gavin Smith

Sunday, 19th April 2009 @ 2pm
Cavan Waste Disposal Ltd A.C.F.L.  Division 4 Round 3
Drumlane v Gowna
Referee:  Gerry Skelly
Maghera v Kingscourt
Referee:  Kieran McCarville
Mullahoran v Belturbet
Referee:  Mickey Lee
Drumalee v Cuchulainns
Referee:  Harry Conaty
Knockbride v Castlerahan
Referee:  Tony Gregory

A.C.F.L.  Division 5 Round 3
Lacken v Templeport
Referee:  Ciaran O'Reilly
Bailieboro v Ballyhaise
Referee:  John Pat Martin
Kildallon v Drumgoon
Referee:  Chris McCaffrey
Redhills v Laragh Utd
Referee:  Jim Hyland
Killinkere v Cootehill
Referee:  Tony McDonald
Lavey v Ramor Utd
Referee:  Felim O'Reilly

Philp Miney Meats Ltd A.C.F.L.  Division 6 Round 3
Ballymachugh v Corlough
Referee:  Peter Fahy

Shannon Gaels v Butlersbridge
Referee:  Liam Kelly
Munterconnacht v Crosserlough
Referee:  Paddy Carroll
Swanlinbar v Arva
Referee:  John Cassidy
Kill v Killinkere (Game at 5pm)
Referee:  Ollie Henry
Drung v Mullahoran (Game at 5pm)
Referee:  Stephen McKiernan
Killeshandra v Killygarry (Game in Killygarry)
Referee:  Eugene Tormey
Mountnugent v Cornafean
Referee:  Jim Giblin

Fixtures:

Padraig Sheridan, Ballymachugh, rest of the game 28/03/2009.

put-it-up

Surprised nobody mentioned the story in the Celt this week about Gearoid McKiernan at the AFL Camp. Dont think it was in any of the other papers.What do you's think about it.

On the topic of papers, I don't see the local papers every week? How is the coverage?

put-it-up

ACFL Predictions Weekend 17/04/09

Last weeks score: 12/17

Imperial Bar A.C.F.L. Division 1 Round 6

Castlerahan v Denn – Denn have yet to pick up points and that does not like changing this weekend.
Lavey v Ballinagh – It is going to be a close one. Will predict Ballinagh to bounce back from last week's drubbing.
Belturbet v Cavan Gaels – Can't look past the Gaels at full strength.
Ramor Utd v Cuchulainns – Think I might try to get to this one. Cucu's have been brutal and although I see a big improvement coming, I think Ramor will utilize home advantage.
Redhills v Killygarry – Redhills to continue to defy belief in Division One. I've a lot of respect for this team.
Mullahoran v Crosserlough: Mullahoran with five or six to spare. Not impressed with Crosserlough at all this year.
Lacken v Gowna – Pearson is back, so is McCabe; Gowna to get their fourth win of the campaign.

Cathal Brady Audi A.C.F.L. Division 2 Round 6

Drumgoon v Cootehill: It's big. Potential share of the spoils here?
Ballyhaise v Crosserlough: Mickey Graham's team to hammer Ballyhaise with the help of Tierney and Cullivan.
Drung v Killeshandra: Drung were boosted by a win over the Gaels last week and will kick on and grab a second pair of two points from the unbeaten Killeshandra.
Shercock v Cavan Gaels: Shercock are poor and the Gaels will ease past them.
Knockbride v Kingscourt: This is a top of the table clash. Knockbride are going to push Kingscourt all the way. The Stars might just sneak it though.
Drumlane v Killinkere: Drumlane let themselves down last week and will come back strong.
Kill v Drumalee: Drumalee for me. Kill will do well to avoid relegation.

John Brady Insurances Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 3 Round 6

Corlough v Munterconnacht: Munchies to show there is life after Powerade!
Laragh Utd v Butlersbridge: Laragh were knocked off their pedestal last weekend by Shannon Gaels. A potential draw, but the home side might just sneak it.
Bailieboro v Shannon Gaels: The best game by a mile in this Division as top meets second. If Shannon Gaels win, it will blow the promotion race wide open but Bailieborough are going to be hard bet.
Killygarry v Swanlinbar: Swanlinbar are more or less already out of the promotion race, but they will blow Killygarry away.
Mountnugent v Kildallon: Both teams are yet to hit top form. Draw.
Hardest three to call:
Laragh Utd v Butlersbridge, Knockbride v Kingscourt, Drumgoon v Cootehill

Lawrence of Knockbride

I see Cornafean aren't down to play in Division 3 this weekend. They had a reserve game postponed because of a certain former players' stag a few weeks ago. And now his wedding is on tomorrow and they're not playing again. He mustn't have invited any reserve players as they're playing on Sunday. Marrying a Drumalee woman I think. Sure your game is on Boojangles? ;)

cavanmaniac

Just a quick one on the club fixtures above. It seems a common theme here about reserve games and such like having erratic scheduling, and the one about the U16 team being idle in June July and August takes the biscuit.

I haven't lived in Cavan for years now, but wonder what happens at county conventions every year that the affected clubs don't rise a stink? It just seems to happen every year, is there never any pressure put on the CB about it?

cavan4ever

Good to see Redhills get what was coming to them  :D

Killeshandra beat Drung was great first half.  Drung dominated whole game but kicked wide after wide. Galligan was useless Drung play better when he isnt about if he was in most other counites he  wouldnt get near a county team, he cant catch or kick.

mylestheslasher

Drung play better when galligan isn't about? Thats a bit of a stupid statement considering he was  their player of the year last year. Great to see the leaguers start so well but they did the same last year too before fading out towards the end of the season.

boojangles

Kill beat us by a point yesterday evening. McKenna scored a point in the last minute.Badly refereed by Robbie McDermott,bad for both teams and I never saw as many balls being thrown up in all my life-definitely the sign of a bad ref.Was a few heads at that wedding alright,Art McSeain married a daughter of everybodys favourite referee Tommy Lyons, but I think most of them behaved. Bad result and bad performance but we had enough chances to win it but we were 1-3 down after 10 minutes. Kingscourt and Killeshandra are starting to pull away