Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Also to make a long story short, Crosserlough are now under the management of Sean 'Pilot' Lynch.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Homer on April 15, 2009, 11:05:42 AM
Also to make a long story short, Crosserlough are now under the management of Sean 'Pilot' Lynch.
Yea I heard there was all sort of comings and goings on there... need to get it sorted, we're almost at the half way point of the league and they still have no points

Oh and boojangles, ahh there wasn't any fighting over the penalty its just it wasn't immediately clear who was gonna take it thats all
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4sam

Castlerahan are being managed by former Meath manager Eamonn Barry.

Drung

Quoteacting the candy man

I give up!

boojangles

handballer09

Well lads.

The Irish Nationals are being held in Cavan this weekend, the Open Singles is in Kingscourt all weekend and the B Singles is in St Pat's on Saturday.

Paul Brady and Michael Finnegan are in the Open and Patrick Clerkin is in the B.

Worth checking it out, Paul and Michael are both playing Friday evening.

Here's a link to a story and a savage video clip (click the small white icon in the bottom right to make it full screen).

http://www.anglocelt.ie/articles/2/38472

put-it-up

Lads does anybody else not like the current format we use for our club league's?

I mean, if a team finsihed top of Division Two, should they not automatically be crowned champions? Why do they have to have a final with the second place team to see who wins the cup when they have topped the league you know?

Should second and third not play-off for promotion with the second and third bottom team from the higher Division instead?

Also think they the league should be wrapped up before championship - finishing off the season in Novemeber or December in my opinion is bullshit.

Anyone any suggestions on how to improve it's structure and competitiveness?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up on April 15, 2009, 05:09:10 PM
Lads does anybody else not like the current format we use for our club league's?

I mean, if a team finsihed top of Division Two, should they not automatically be crowned champions? Why do they have to have a final with the second place team to see who wins the cup when they have topped the league you know?

Should second and third not play-off for promotion with the second and third bottom team from the higher Division instead?

Also think they the league should be wrapped up before championship - finishing off the season in Novemeber or December in my opinion is bullshit.

My Views on this would be
The Top placed team in the league should be the League Champions
Second place team should also be promoted, There should be no "League Final" .
Same in relegation
Bottom two relegated.

No need for any play off for second/third placed team,just adding unnecessary games.

I dont think its possible to have the league done with before the championship starts in June,
But its definetely possible to have the league over by Late July, Early August.
There are too many weeks during the summer when their are no games, when League games should be played.
If the county by some miracle are still involved in the Championship come late June/July,Then incase of scheduling problems clubs should have to play league games without them.
The Under 21 championship should also be started and finished between say April and June.

The last games of the year should be the Senior/Intermediate/Junior Championships finals or the Reserve Championships finals if they are played after.

Celt_Man

I'd be fairly happy with the league the way it is... it's mid way through April and after next weekend we'll have played 6 out of 13 rounds of the senior league and 2/3 games out of 12/13 of the juniors... I don't mind the top 2 playing off for silverware, I can even see the argument for the top 4 playing off but no point not top 8 for quarter finals.  I think most of the league will be 80% over by the time of the championship comes around and I'm glad there are group stages this year.  With the old way, you could get knocked out fairly quick and with the league pretty much over, you could potentially have some teams with few or none or only a couple of meaningless middle of the table league games during the summer months which would be torture.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up

sorry but for me whoever tops the league should win.though I do understand if they wanted the second team in div2 to play say the second last in div1 to create some excitement. Also can't believe they don't get the u21s out of the way before summer. If they did that, then I would not mind the league  finishin up around October. Then everybody has November and December to rest up. Sorry if there are spellin mistakes, I'm on the iPhone.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 15, 2009, 05:35:10 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on April 15, 2009, 05:09:10 PM

My Views on this would be
The Top placed team in the league should be the League Champions
Second place team should also be promoted, There should be no "League Final" .
Same in relegation
Bottom two relegated.

No need for any play off for second/third placed team,just adding unnecessary games.

I dont think its possible to have the league done with before the championship starts in June,
But its definetely possible to have the league over by Late July, Early August.
There are too many weeks during the summer when their are no games, when League games should be played.
If the county by some miracle are still involved in the Championship come late June/July,Then incase of scheduling problems clubs should have to play league games without them.
The Under 21 championship should also be started and finished between say April and June.

The last games of the year should be the Senior/Intermediate/Junior Championships finals or the Reserve Championships finals if they are played after.

What he said.

big balla

Quote from: Drung on April 15, 2009, 11:42:48 AM
Quoteacting the candy man

I give up!

do you kick any ball yourself drung?

Babe Ruth 47

Quote from: Homer on April 15, 2009, 08:49:42 AM
Here is the article/list

Quote from: KingOfSeptember on January 06, 2009, 10:05:59 AM
From anglocelt.ie
Article published just before Christmas I think.

THE GAA close season has seen plenty of action behind the scenes as clubs look to secure managers for the 2009 season.
The cult of the "have whistle, will travel" outside manager continues to grow in popularity, with the majority of the 40 clubs in the county opting for managers from outside their own members and, in many cases, from outside the county.
Most Cavan clubs will have new men at the helm in 2009, while a number, including county champions Cavan Gaels, have yet to confirm a manager.
Beaten Intermediate finalists Ballyhaise landed a coup by securing the services of the highly-rated Mickey Graham, the county minor coach, while Lacken Celtic will be managed by former Leitrim manager Declan Rowley.
Their neighbours Ballinagh, who have enjoyed considerable success in recent years under Bernard Morris, will be managed by the experienced John Mulvaney of Ramor, while Morris himself returns to home club Gowna, where he will take on a selector's role.
Junior and Intermediate champions Drung and Redhills are holding on to their managers (Joe Fitzpatrick and Mickey Cadden respectively) for the new season.
Kingscourt also retain their outgoing manager, Meath native Dudley Farrell.

Movers and Shakers

Arva
2008: Sean Pierson 2009: Lacken clubman Gabriel Keogan takes the reins.
Bailieborough
2008: Vincent Kelly 2009: Francis Clarke, who was selector last year under Kelly, will take over as manager.
Ballinagh
2008: Bernard Morris 2009: Former Ramor United manager and Cavan defender John Mulvaney.
Ballyhaise
2008: Gerry O'Rourke 2009: Mickey Graham will be combining the Ballyhaise role with his duties as county minor manager
Ballymachugh
2008: Malachy Flanagan 2009: Flanagan has gone back to play with his club Killoe in Longford so the club are in the process of selecting a new manager.
Belturbet
2008: Mark Lawlor 2009: The club are in the process of looking for a new manager and should have someone in place by the time of the AGM on January 7.
Butlersbridge
2008: Brendan Nelligan 2009: Former Cavan senior selector and Drumlane and Ballyhaise manager Phelim Plunkett returns to the club.
Castlerahan
2008: Sean Fitzpatrick 2009: No manager has been appointed yet, although it has been rumoured that this ambitious club approached no less a figure than Crossmaglen manager Donal Murtagh.
Cavan Gaels
2008: Mick O'Dowd 2009: No change at the moment following another successful year. The club will examine it over the close season.
Cootehill Celtic
2008: Kevin Caraher 2009: Reports suggest that Monaghan native Caraher is staying on, although this has not been confirmed. Caraher met the players before the AGM recently.
Corlough
2008: Cathal Murphy 2009: Kinawley native Murphy is staying on.
Cornafean
2008: Ciaran Creegan 2009: Former Gowna official Gerry Cadden takes over from Leitrim native Creegan, who was in the job for three years.
Crosserlough
2008: Ollie Murphy (took over from Colm McEvoy during the season) 2009: Murphy will be manager again.
Cuchullains
2008: Fintan Cahill 2009: Cahill retains the job
Denn
2008: Kevin Mulvaney 2009: Despite rumours that Donal Keogan is to return to his home club as manager, it looks likely that, with Kevin Mulvaney having stepped aside, 2008: team trainer Gary Farrelly will take on the role of bainisteoir.
Drumalee
2008: PJ Carroll 2009: Undecided. The club elected a new chairman and vice-chairman at their recent AGM and they are in the process of looking for a new team manager.
Drumgoon
2008: Ray McCarron 2009: The club are looking for someone at present.
Drumlane
2008: Noel Marron 2009: Former Monaghan defender Marron will be staying on as manager.
Drung
2008: Joe Fitzpatrick 2009: Although it has yet to be confirmed, all of the indications are that Fitzpatrick will be staying on following a successful 2008:.
Gowna
2008: Mick McCormack 2009: Mick McCormack will continue in the manager's bib. Former Cavan player and Ballinagh manager Bernard Morris will be a selector.
Kildallan
2008: Emmet Curry 2009: The club are currently looking for a new manager after Curry opted not to stay on.
Kill
2008: Barry Crudden 2009: Having delivered the Division Three league title in 2008:, Crudden, a garda, will stay on as team manager
Killeshandra
2008: Stephen King, Tom Downes and Junior McKiernan 2009: Ciaran O'Reilly, who guided Mullahoran to the 1998 county title, has been appointed.
Kilinkere
2008: John Mulvaney 2009: Sean Finnegan takes over as manager.
Killygarry
2008: Declan Sheridan 2009: Unclear as of yet, although trainer James Lovett will not be staying on. The AGM is on January 10.
Kingscourt Stars
2008: Dudley Farrell took over from Paddy Bates midway through 2009: Farrell, a Meath selector under Colm Coyle in recent years, will remain as manager.
Knockbride
2008: Brian Comesky 2009: Comeskey is not running again and the club have yet to appoint a manager.
Lacken
2008: Joe O'Connor 2009: Former Leitrim senior manager Declan Rowley, who has enjoyed success with St Mel's College in Longford, is the new manager.
Laragh United
2008: George Crowe 2009: Crowe is seeking a second term but nothing will be ratified until the AGM on January 3.
Lavey
2008:; Terry Hyland 2009:.
The experienced Hyland will remain as Lavey manager.
Maghera
2008: Paul O'Dowd 2009: A final decision on the new manager will be taken after a meeting of the players.
Mountnugent
2008: John Lynch, Martin O'Reilly 2009: Sean Fitzpatrick of Castlerahan takes over as manager.
Mullahoran
2008: Pascal Canavan 2009: Tyrone legend Canavan was re-appointed at the AGM last month.
Munterconnaught
2008: Jim Gilsenan 2009: Gerry Hanly, a Galway man who managed the club to the junior final a number of years ago, returns.
Ramor United
2008: PJ Buckley 2009: The same management team has been ratified by the club executive.
Redhills
2008: Mickey Cadden 2009: Donagh, Co Fermanagh native Cadden will stay at the helm as the club enter senior ranks.
Shannon Gaels
2008: Tom Reilly 2009: The club's minor manager Eugene Walsh has stepped up to take over the senior team. Reilly will continue as club chairman.
Shercock
2008: Raymond Reilly, Liam Duffy, John Coyle 2009: The club AGM was postponed due to a death recently and nothing will be decided until after Christmas. Last year's management team are  in the running for the role again, along with a couple of others.
Swanlinbar
2008: Aodhan Murphy 2009: Murphy is staying on as manager.
Templeport
2008: Tommy Mimna 2009: Mimna, who is a Templeport clubman, is staying on as manager with Tyrone man Hugh Donnelly acting as team trainer.

Thanks for that lads. ;)

boojangles

I think the Senior Leagues are grand the way they are,as Celt Man said we will have 6 games played this weekend.AS long as the top 2 are promoted that is the main thing.A Final between the Top 2 is no harm as it generates revenue and at the end of the day winning a league final isnt as important as winning promotion.
I would have a problem with the way the Reserve Leagues are managed though. I havent played Reserve in years but there are alot of players who would only train for the point of playing Reserve football. Drumalee hav only played 2 reserve games so far this year.How are we supposed to keep all lads interested if they havent had a game in weeks. There seems to be a very relaxed attitude with getting these games ran off. When our reserve team is doing well it has a knock on affect on our Seniors. Numbers improve at training, some of the reserve team players are pushing for their place on the Senior team and it improves the overall standard of everybody. There is a better buzz about the place and everyone is pushing eachother on. I understand that logistically its not as easy with clubs in different divisions but 2 games so far this year isnt good enough.
I also think its a disgrace how our U-21 Championship is ran.As I have said before how are we supposed to pick our County U-21 team when we have no Championship running aroung the time the panel should be picked. U-21 football is probably the fastest grade of football you will play yet it is pushed to the end of the year to be played in bad pitches, in bad weather before bad crowds.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on April 16, 2009, 11:25:32 AM
I think the Senior Leagues are grand the way they are,as Celt Man said we will have 6 games played this weekend.AS long as the top 2 are promoted that is the main thing.A Final between the Top 2 is no harm as it generates revenue and at the end of the day winning a league final isnt as important as winning promotion.
I would have a problem with the way the Reserve Leagues are managed though. I havent played Reserve in years but there are alot of players who would only train for the point of playing Reserve football. Drumalee hav only played 2 reserve games so far this year.How are we supposed to keep all lads interested if they havent had a game in weeks. There seems to be a very relaxed attitude with getting these games ran off. When our reserve team is doing well it has a knock on affect on our Seniors. Numbers improve at training, some of the reserve team players are pushing for their place on the Senior team and it improves the overall standard of everybody. There is a better buzz about the place and everyone is pushing eachother on. I understand that logistically its not as easy with clubs in different divisions but 2 games so far this year isnt good enough.
I also think its a disgrace how our U-21 Championship is ran.As I have said before how are we supposed to pick our County U-21 team when we have no Championship running aroung the time the panel should be picked. U-21 football is probably the fastest grade of football you will play yet it is pushed to the end of the year to be played in bad pitches, in bad weather before bad crowds.
The reason that the reserve leagues are run so badly is that Gaelic Football is the most elitist sport I've ever came across. No matter what spin managers put on it, no matter if the games are on the same day against the same opposition it's always the same.
This is the level of the game I found myself at when I played and the bullshit ranged from the manager leaving after the senior game to the referee deciding to only play 20 minutes a half. And apart from the likes of Killygarry who always put out strong reserve teams, most clubs reserves will play approximately 6-7 games during the spring and early summer. Then when the championships kick in junior players might as well hang up the boots for 7-8 months as they'll be lucky to be allowed to train never mind play a game. It's always funny to look at the final league tables showing each team in division 6 having played 13 games whereas about 60% of that figure would be more accurate.
Rant on pause. >:(