Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 12, 2009, 09:25:39 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on April 11, 2009, 09:16:38 PM
Heard Kingscourt won by 12 or so. Knockbride by 3, Kill beat Drumlane by 2. And I don't want to talk about our game
Did yourself & Boojangles fall out? ;D
Kingscourt are flying and what happened Drumlane?
Homer, your crowd seem to be in trouble?

Aye things aren't great at the moment. We have had a spate of injuries and as they say there's only so many times you can go to the well. Castlerahen were fully deserved of their win but the margin flattered them a little. No real stand out performances, Mackey was pretty quiet but kicked one tremendous score at the end. As cavan4sam says it will take him a while before he's fully over a dose of the mumps.

Lavey are up next and I'd only expect another one or two of the lads to make it back in time for it so another tough tie ahead.

Was up in Drogheda on Sunday. Thought the general fitness levels of our lads was very poor and a few of them seemed to be out on their feet. Would agree with some of the previous comments made regarding Johnston's attitude, he really needs to take a good look at himself before he starts talking to newspapers. I was surprised that Eoin 'Ted' Smith wasn't thrown in at FB for a while as it looked like a FF that would be right up his street.

Quote from: boojangles on April 14, 2009, 02:14:03 PM
Quote from: cavan4sam on April 14, 2009, 01:54:50 PM
from what I have been told by members of the panel, McKeever was thrown off the panel of going on the beer after the over night stay in Mayo, it was his second offence so that was why he was kicked off. Apparently his first offence was either before or after the Antrim game. I cant remember which.
Yes thats true.It was the second offence,the first being missing the Antrim game.I suppose its 2 strikes and your gone.But he should have been told that.

I'm a fan of McKeever's but he shouldn't have to be told. To be honest he should have been out on his ear after the first incident. Having a few too many drinks the weekend before a game is one thing but not bothering to turn up for a match because you're on the beer is completely unacceptable.

Besides this I had heard that he had been invited back in but didn't return. I'm not sure how long ago this invite was made.

Celt_Man

Heard Kingscourt won by 12 or so. Knockbride by 3, Kill beat Drumlane by 2. And I don't want to talk about our game

No didn't fall out with anyone, but still can't get over how we didn't at least grab a draw.  We were beaten by a point but missed a peno, 35m free and a 45 and the last shot came back off the upright to - and that was all in the last 5 minutes.... Mind you we weren't great by any means...
Boojangles what did you make of it? Were you playing?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavanmaniac

Yes thats true.It was the second offence,the first being missing the Antrim game.I suppose its 2 strikes and your gone.But he should have been told that.

Every time McKeever is mentioned on this board, a story about carousing in the Imperial or general indiscipline isn't far behind in coming. A lad playing intercounty as long as he is shouldn't have to be reminded that acting the candy man before or after games would result in excommunication. He's a good footballer at his best but hasn't been playing anywhere near that in recent times, going by reports here, and frankly, I'm of the opinion that one less shitehawker on the panel no matter how good he is or was, is a healthy thing in the long run. If Carr hits the panic button and has him back for the summer it'll be a very bad move and send out a bad signal to the others that once, again, it's cart blanche for everyone to behave how they want.

Tommy's either cleaning up the scene or he's not, there can be no inbetweens and half measures and that applies to all players I hope.

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavanmaniac on April 14, 2009, 02:42:07 PM

Every time McKeever is mentioned on this board, a story about carousing in the Imperial or general indiscipline isn't far behind in coming. A lad playing intercounty as long as he is shouldn't have to be reminded that acting the candy man before or after games would result in excommunication. He's a good footballer at his best but hasn't been playing anywhere near that in recent times, going by reports here, and frankly, I'm of the opinion that one less shitehawker on the panel no matter how good he is or was, is a healthy thing in the long run. If Carr hits the panic button and has him back for the summer it'll be a very bad move and send out a bad signal to the others that once, again, it's cart blanche for everyone to behave how they want.

Tommy's either cleaning up the scene or he's not, there can be no inbetweens and half measures and that applies to all players I hope.

On that point in a differnt way alot of posters are disgusted with Johnstons continual abuse of his team mates and disrespect of the National anthem should he be dropped as it seems to be having an effect on the players around him.

boojangles

Quote from: Homer on April 14, 2009, 02:23:39 PM
Quote from: cavan4sam on April 14, 2009, 01:54:50 PM
from what I have been told by members of the panel, McKeever was thrown off the panel of going on the beer after the over night stay in Mayo, it was his second offence so that was why he was kicked off. Apparently his first offence was either before or after the Antrim game. I cant remember which.

I'm a fan of McKeever's but he shouldn't have to be told. To be honest he should have been out on his ear after the first incident. Having a few too many drinks the weekend before a game is one thing but not bothering to turn up for a match because you're on the beer is completely unacceptable.

Besides this I had heard that he had been invited back in but didn't return. I'm not sure how long ago this invite was made.
What I meant there is that if he is gone of the panel for the year he should have been told that and not leaving him hanging.Tommy Carr was dead right in putting the foot down, once everybody got the same treatment.Im 99% sure that McKeever was never asked back in after that.

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 14, 2009, 02:37:18 PM

No didn't fall out with anyone, but still can't get over how we didn't at least grab a draw.  We were beaten by a point but missed a peno, 35m free and a 45 and the last shot came back off the upright to - and that was all in the last 5 minutes.... Mind you we weren't great by any means...
Was away for the weekend Celt Man,Im still injured anyway so Im making the most of this time off, in preparation for a long summer staying in.By all accounts it was a very exciting game although low scoring.Conditions had a big bearing on it too I heard.We wer missing a few so glad some lads are starting to step up to it. What happened for your penalty? I heard there was abit of squabbling over it? Were ya playing yourself?
Div 2 is looking like its gonna be very tight again.Kingscourt are looking good but after that who knows.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavan4ever on April 14, 2009, 03:05:25 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on April 14, 2009, 02:42:07 PM

On that point in a differnt way alot of posters are disgusted with Johnstons continual abuse of his team mates and disrespect of the National anthem should he be dropped as it seems to be having an effect on the players around him.

I'm of the opinion that Carr should lay down the law to Johnstone. He needs to be told that his team mates deserve respect and that he needs to stop moaning and work as hard as everyone around him. He also needs to show respect to his country and his hosts by respecting the national anthem and the minutes silence. If he still thinks he is bigger than Cavan football then maybe a stint on the side line is exactly what is needed. Fermanagh had a certain Rory Gallagher that was at the same shite and he got the boot and the team moved on and bonded better. Its up to johnstone if he wants to be part of the team or if he is just interested in representing himself. I can tell you one thing, I would not tolerate the behaviour I witnessed in Drogheda from any player no matter how good they are.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on April 14, 2009, 03:44:27 PM

Was away for the weekend Celt Man,Im still injured anyway so Im making the most of this time off, in preparation for a long summer staying in.By all accounts it was a very exciting game although low scoring.Conditions had a big bearing on it too I heard.We wer missing a few so glad some lads are starting to step up to it. What happened for your penalty? I heard there was abit of squabbling over it? Were ya playing yourself?
Div 2 is looking like its gonna be very tight again.Kingscourt are looking good but after that who knows.

Yea my favourite ref had a bit of sorting out to do before the penalty, making sure everyone stood exactly where they were told, which meant the kicker was standing over it for about 2 whole minutes which is never ideal. Not that I'd accuse him of doing that deliberately :P
Aye I was running around for a while, it was tight going not sure I have ever played on a pitch as heavy as that before.
Yea if someone doesn't take points off Kingscourt soon, they will be hard to catch. Although think that might happen this week when they are playing Knockbride.  
We on the other hand, get to pick ourselves up for another civil encounter with our fellow parishoners Drumgoon!!! ;D

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 14, 2009, 04:02:59 PM
Quote from: boojangles on April 14, 2009, 03:44:27 PM

Yea my favourite ref had a bit of sorting out to do before the penalty, making sure everyone stood exactly where they were told, which meant the kicker was standing over it for about 2 whole minutes which is never ideal. Not that I'd accuse him of doing that deliberately :P
Aye I was running around for a while, it was tight going not sure I have ever played on a pitch as heavy as that before.
Yea if someone doesn't take points off Kingscourt soon, they will be hard to catch. Although think that might happen this week when they are playing Knockbride.  
We on the other hand, get to pick ourselves up for another civil encounter with our fellow parishoners Drumgoon!!! ;D
No offence or anything Celt Man but I have to say I really hate playing in Cootehill.The grass always seems to be long and heavy and the whole look of the place is dreary. Im sure you think nothing off it tho.
Gerry Sheridan can be very picky lately,I used to really rate him as a ref when he would explain decisions but nowadays he seems to be the Boss and thats it.
I actually heard that there was a few of your lads fighting over who was taking the penalty but maybe I picked it up wrong??
We have Kill away next which can be tricky.Im sure they will be buzzing after that shock win.
Yous and Drumgoon,Im sure there will be fireworks.Yous are going for a treble of League wins are yas?

big balla

Quote from: boojangles on April 14, 2009, 01:53:22 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on April 14, 2009, 01:41:26 PM
Quote from: big balla on April 13, 2009, 08:46:49 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on April 12, 2009, 10:24:36 AM
Heard a few stores about Redhills game best one was they were down by 5 with 3 minutes to go and got 2-1 in last few minutes.  Hope they get whats coming to them soon getting very hard to listen to some of them lads  :-X . There on some run though.

Cant believe Kill beat Drumlane.

I'm a new member to the board and this is my first post. have followed the thread for the last 50 pages or so. felt i had to comment on what you said cavan4ever.
redhills have come a long way since playing division 3 league and junior championship a few years ago, they should be allowed to enjoy the succuss they're having without people saying they "get whats coming to them". they are on a fantastic run for a club of their size and its only natural that they would become more confident

Point taken.

So there is a good break now till the championship starts for Cavan.  Hopefully there will be plenty of challenge games to get try and get the problem positions sorted out.  What is the real story with McKeever does anyone know.  At the time Carr said he wasnt suspended from the panel , that he was just taking some time off.  He'd struggle to get on the team anyway the way he was playing.
I believe that McKeever was more than willing to go back in to the panel if he was asked.At the time he thought it would be for a month or 2.He never got the call and I believe that he is very pissed off considering every other player(and there was a few) that broke the rules that Carr had set out has since been asked back to the panel.
I think at this stage he should have been asked back in.Cavan could really do with Mark McKeever on top of his game. but I dont think he would go back in now so we'l just have to get on with it.

The club coverage continues to spread on the Cavan thread.
Big Balla any word on Paddy Gumley,he had to wait a few months on word,Did he hear anything of late?

I'm working away from home at the minute and i'm not sure wht the story is with Gumley, I think he was told he'd have to wait three months to find out but i dont think the time is up yet.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on April 14, 2009, 04:16:38 PM
No offence or anything Celt Man but I have to say I really hate playing in Cootehill.The grass always seems to be long and heavy and the whole look of the place is dreary. Im sure you think nothing off it tho.
Gerry Sheridan can be very picky lately,I used to really rate him as a ref when he would explain decisions but nowadays he seems to be the Boss and thats it.
I actually heard that there was a few of your lads fighting over who was taking the penalty but maybe I picked it up wrong??
We have Kill away next which can be tricky.Im sure they will be buzzing after that shock win.
Yous and Drumgoon,Im sure there will be fireworks.Yous are going for a treble of League wins are yas?

Sure we'll try and cut the grass the next day for ya. ;D But I agree with you so far as to say the ground could do with a bit of spring cleaning or something to that effect.
Kill are a tough nut to crack at home, their pitch is very narrow and they are, obviously enough, well used to play on that narrow of a pitch.
Gerry has turned out to be a real see you next tuesday at times.  He did our league game against drumgoon last year and is alleged to have said a few things to them about ourselves during the game that a neutral ref shouldn't have said.
Aye going for three league wins in a row is right... taking nothing for granted nor have I any right to do otherwise but we need the win if we want to continue the move towards the top

Babe Ruth 47

Quick Question Lads

Is it available anywhere, or would it be possible to briefly compile, a list of the management teams for each individual club throughout the county????   

Cheers Lads

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on April 15, 2009, 04:04:30 AM
Quick Question Lads

Is it available anywhere, or would it be possible to briefly compile, a list of the management teams for each individual club throughout the county????  

Cheers Lads
I think someone posted an incomplete list here before the start of this season.
Now try to get some sleep. ::)

Homer

Here is the article/list

Quote from: KingOfSeptember on January 06, 2009, 10:05:59 AM
From anglocelt.ie
Article published just before Christmas I think.

THE GAA close season has seen plenty of action behind the scenes as clubs look to secure managers for the 2009 season.
The cult of the "have whistle, will travel" outside manager continues to grow in popularity, with the majority of the 40 clubs in the county opting for managers from outside their own members and, in many cases, from outside the county.
Most Cavan clubs will have new men at the helm in 2009, while a number, including county champions Cavan Gaels, have yet to confirm a manager.
Beaten Intermediate finalists Ballyhaise landed a coup by securing the services of the highly-rated Mickey Graham, the county minor coach, while Lacken Celtic will be managed by former Leitrim manager Declan Rowley.
Their neighbours Ballinagh, who have enjoyed considerable success in recent years under Bernard Morris, will be managed by the experienced John Mulvaney of Ramor, while Morris himself returns to home club Gowna, where he will take on a selector's role.
Junior and Intermediate champions Drung and Redhills are holding on to their managers (Joe Fitzpatrick and Mickey Cadden respectively) for the new season.
Kingscourt also retain their outgoing manager, Meath native Dudley Farrell.

Movers and Shakers

Arva
2008: Sean Pierson 2009: Lacken clubman Gabriel Keogan takes the reins.
Bailieborough
2008: Vincent Kelly 2009: Francis Clarke, who was selector last year under Kelly, will take over as manager.
Ballinagh
2008: Bernard Morris 2009: Former Ramor United manager and Cavan defender John Mulvaney.
Ballyhaise
2008: Gerry O'Rourke 2009: Mickey Graham will be combining the Ballyhaise role with his duties as county minor manager
Ballymachugh
2008: Malachy Flanagan 2009: Flanagan has gone back to play with his club Killoe in Longford so the club are in the process of selecting a new manager.
Belturbet
2008: Mark Lawlor 2009: The club are in the process of looking for a new manager and should have someone in place by the time of the AGM on January 7.
Butlersbridge
2008: Brendan Nelligan 2009: Former Cavan senior selector and Drumlane and Ballyhaise manager Phelim Plunkett returns to the club.
Castlerahan
2008: Sean Fitzpatrick 2009: No manager has been appointed yet, although it has been rumoured that this ambitious club approached no less a figure than Crossmaglen manager Donal Murtagh.
Cavan Gaels
2008: Mick O'Dowd 2009: No change at the moment following another successful year. The club will examine it over the close season.
Cootehill Celtic
2008: Kevin Caraher 2009: Reports suggest that Monaghan native Caraher is staying on, although this has not been confirmed. Caraher met the players before the AGM recently.
Corlough
2008: Cathal Murphy 2009: Kinawley native Murphy is staying on.
Cornafean
2008: Ciaran Creegan 2009: Former Gowna official Gerry Cadden takes over from Leitrim native Creegan, who was in the job for three years.
Crosserlough
2008: Ollie Murphy (took over from Colm McEvoy during the season) 2009: Murphy will be manager again.
Cuchullains
2008: Fintan Cahill 2009: Cahill retains the job
Denn
2008: Kevin Mulvaney 2009: Despite rumours that Donal Keogan is to return to his home club as manager, it looks likely that, with Kevin Mulvaney having stepped aside, 2008: team trainer Gary Farrelly will take on the role of bainisteoir.
Drumalee
2008: PJ Carroll 2009: Undecided. The club elected a new chairman and vice-chairman at their recent AGM and they are in the process of looking for a new team manager.
Drumgoon
2008: Ray McCarron 2009: The club are looking for someone at present.
Drumlane
2008: Noel Marron 2009: Former Monaghan defender Marron will be staying on as manager.
Drung
2008: Joe Fitzpatrick 2009: Although it has yet to be confirmed, all of the indications are that Fitzpatrick will be staying on following a successful 2008:.
Gowna
2008: Mick McCormack 2009: Mick McCormack will continue in the manager's bib. Former Cavan player and Ballinagh manager Bernard Morris will be a selector.
Kildallan
2008: Emmet Curry 2009: The club are currently looking for a new manager after Curry opted not to stay on.
Kill
2008: Barry Crudden 2009: Having delivered the Division Three league title in 2008:, Crudden, a garda, will stay on as team manager
Killeshandra
2008: Stephen King, Tom Downes and Junior McKiernan 2009: Ciaran O'Reilly, who guided Mullahoran to the 1998 county title, has been appointed.
Kilinkere
2008: John Mulvaney 2009: Sean Finnegan takes over as manager.
Killygarry
2008: Declan Sheridan 2009: Unclear as of yet, although trainer James Lovett will not be staying on. The AGM is on January 10.
Kingscourt Stars
2008: Dudley Farrell took over from Paddy Bates midway through 2009: Farrell, a Meath selector under Colm Coyle in recent years, will remain as manager.
Knockbride
2008: Brian Comesky 2009: Comeskey is not running again and the club have yet to appoint a manager.
Lacken
2008: Joe O'Connor 2009: Former Leitrim senior manager Declan Rowley, who has enjoyed success with St Mel's College in Longford, is the new manager.
Laragh United
2008: George Crowe 2009: Crowe is seeking a second term but nothing will be ratified until the AGM on January 3.
Lavey
2008:; Terry Hyland 2009:.
The experienced Hyland will remain as Lavey manager.
Maghera
2008: Paul O'Dowd 2009: A final decision on the new manager will be taken after a meeting of the players.
Mountnugent
2008: John Lynch, Martin O'Reilly 2009: Sean Fitzpatrick of Castlerahan takes over as manager.
Mullahoran
2008: Pascal Canavan 2009: Tyrone legend Canavan was re-appointed at the AGM last month.
Munterconnaught
2008: Jim Gilsenan 2009: Gerry Hanly, a Galway man who managed the club to the junior final a number of years ago, returns.
Ramor United
2008: PJ Buckley 2009: The same management team has been ratified by the club executive.
Redhills
2008: Mickey Cadden 2009: Donagh, Co Fermanagh native Cadden will stay at the helm as the club enter senior ranks.
Shannon Gaels
2008: Tom Reilly 2009: The club's minor manager Eugene Walsh has stepped up to take over the senior team. Reilly will continue as club chairman.
Shercock
2008: Raymond Reilly, Liam Duffy, John Coyle 2009: The club AGM was postponed due to a death recently and nothing will be decided until after Christmas. Last year's management team are  in the running for the role again, along with a couple of others.
Swanlinbar
2008: Aodhan Murphy 2009: Murphy is staying on as manager.
Templeport
2008: Tommy Mimna 2009: Mimna, who is a Templeport clubman, is staying on as manager with Tyrone man Hugh Donnelly acting as team trainer.

boojangles

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on April 15, 2009, 04:04:30 AM
Quick Question Lads

Cheers Lads
Jesus there is football fanatics and there is you Babe! Couldnt sleep with this bothering ya???
Thats seems quite a comprehensive list-from whats missing -
Drumalee have former player Mickey Lee as Manager with 2 former players as selectors-JohnPat Reilly and Martin Sexton and former player Tommy Costello in charge of Div 4 side.
Gary Donohoe who used to play with Gowna is over Belturbet