Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 12, 2009, 08:16:38 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 12, 2009, 06:38:20 PM
well another defeat, im off out for a few ,but some of our exiles,Maniac/Myles etc might not have been at the game,so here it goes.

Cavan 2-13 Louth 2-16

Cavan played some good football at times, but once again some serious weaknesses have been exploited by Louth,
The Full back line was at sea,too loose marking their men, i was scared shitless, everytime the ball went in high, Louth could have had 3 more goals.
Midfield without Galligan was seriously done for pace,
And we still havent figured out how to play against a crowded defense.
Shooting was terrible in the first half

1.Fintan Reily, Terrific save in the first half, kickouts were good,Solid game and couldnt do anything for either goal. 7

2.Michael Brides, ive always been a fan of Brides robust style of play,but he was seriously roasted by Colm Judge today, just hasnt the speed anymore. 5

3.Rory Dunne, good on the ball,but hes not the answer at full back, was pushed around by Shane Lennon,Will start come the championship but not at full back. 6

4.Michael Hannon, Worst game ive ever seen H play,Darren Clarke scored something like 1-5, 1-6 most of it from play.There has to be a problem with fitness or injuries there because Hannon has kept much better players than clarke quiet. 5

5.John McCutcheon, got on an obscene amount of ball, yellow carded when he cleaned one of the louth men out of it, done ok, certain strarter for me come the championship. 7

6.Gunner, gave away the first point,but was fairly steady thereafter,Best option we have for Centre Half. 7

7.Podge, i thought this was podges best performance for a long time in a Cavan shirt, finished well for the goal, drove forward at pace,
His lack of acceleration wasnt exploited on the wing.
Dont know if you can afford himself and Rory Dunne due to their lack of pace. 7

8.Nicholas Walsh,put himself about, got on alot of ball,made a good catch or two,competed well ine the air,
But he was taken to the cleaners by Paddy Keenan on the ground, Keenan must have scored 3 or 4 from play, Replaced by McCabe. 6

9.Lorcan Mulvey, replaced after 20 minutes by Eugene Keating, He found Ronan Carroll's pace hard to stay with, But he was perhaps unfortunate to be taken off. 6

10.Ray Cullivan,Ray done some good stuff, won good ball and good passes but he also done stupid things,like try and bull through 2 and 3 players at a time, and kicked some poor wides Fairly solid performance. 7

11.Michael Lyng, Still searching for his big performance after his injuries, He was solid,sprayed alot of ball around and was always an option for a pass,But again like Ray missed some bad wides. 7

12.Ronan Flanagan, Rony's worst performance in a Cavan shirt in my opinion,He didnt exert himself into the game like he usually does,and didnt impact the game. 5

13.Larry Reily, Larry had few wild shots, and was replaced after about  25 minutes by Martin Reily, perhaps unfair,

14.Seanie Johnston,he was virtually assaulted throughout the whole game today, and got nothing from the tool of a referee, also done some stupid things,but also kicked some great scores,Another day and another referee, hed have had about 5 or 6 more frees. 7

15.Eddie Reily, He was poor in the first half,but terrific in the second half, kicked 2 great points from play,chased harried everything,taken off near the end. 7

subs
McCabe on for Walsh
Keating for Mulvey--- kicked a good score, but was lethargic in the most his man,number 7 done a serious amount of damage.
Martin Reily----- decent enough performance, didnt impact the game as much as we know he can.
Pierson, came on near the end, as a replacement for the carded McCutcheon
Givney replaced Eddie,didnt see much ball.

Almost not arsed to argue with you BH man but............
.....................Agree, Dunne good footballer - not a FB
I thought Lyng was poor.
I thought Keating carried the ball well for us.
Podge looked good going forward.
Their two wing-backs did most of the damage coming forward so think you're a little harsh on Hannon although he is off the pace of things.
Johnson is the Ronaldo of Cavan football. Anyone who likes Ronaldo will like him. Anyone with sense won't. He can't stand to attention for a minute silence or the National Anthem, tying his laces and talking to the lads. He's been in the papers talking about how the players attitudes need to be right for every game  :D He was fouled all day I agree and he also kicked some nice scores but every foul he gave away he had something to say, he pushed his player in retaliation on more than one occasion causing the ball to be brought forward. To be honest I'm sick looking at him and if he decided that his ever-so complicated life needed him to go to Australia or wherever then I'd be glad to see the back of him. Now easy on the abuse lads, i'm at the end of a long league campaign. ;)

Keating did carry the ball well,but his man ran him into the ground, They eventually had to switch Flanagan onto him,
That should never have to happen a forward IMO. Really a mixture of good and bad from him.
Im a big fan of Michael Hannon, at his best,hes one of the best in Ulster in my opinion,but hes not playing up to his usual level.
Agree with yourself and RednBlack
Johnston has been at it the whole year, hes always been loud on the field,But this year has been staggering
He gave Keating an awful moutful aswell,when he gave the ball away,disgusting stuff
Thats not what a young lad who has bags of talent needs to be hearing,the same as Martin Reily,they need encouragement.

BallyhaiseMan

Fintan Reily of redhills was the goalkeeper,Put it up.

Rednblack asks a good question, where are we at this stage in Carrs regime?

There has been some good signs and good football played,But we have serious weaknesses going forward,and if we can see them,IC managers can see them aswell.
Eoin Smith was on the bench today,I think he should have been brought on when the full back line was struggling,and to give him game time at this level.
The Importance of Galligan was obvious today,
Mulvey,Walsh,McCabe just cannot cover the ground with the more mobile midfielders at this level,
Ray is in my opinion an inch or two too small for IC midfield.
We need a targetman at full forward, either, Givney,McCabe,Cullivan or an other,whom we can kick first time ball into, because at the moment most of our play is slow and laboured we have no ideas when the opposition crowd out their backline.

Id be optimistic about Carrs regime, i lost the plot with him after the Tipp game,but ive seen glimpses of our potential in different games, and while it might not be saying much,We are going alot better than last year.

mylestheslasher

An exile i might be but I made this match. I'm going to start with Johnstone and you know I hope he reads this board. I was disgusted when during the minutes silence he couldn't even stand to attention beside his own team and instead took the opportunity to tie his laces and stretch the hammers. During the national Anthem he decided to walk around the huddle of Cavan players who did show respect and drink some water and then spit it out. What a little bollix. He needs to learn some respect. His attitude on the pitch was also atrocious. Any ball that went astray got a volley of abuse and Seanie standing with his hands on his hips. Not once did he tackle a back coming out. If I were Cavan manager I would drop him for a game cos clearly he thinks he is Cavan. Your not Seanie, your just a player and no more. If we to look to Eddie Reilly beside him and take a leaf out of Eddies efforts he could be one of the best in Ireland. As someone said above Gooch, Canavan and the top forwards do not behave like that. Cop on Seanie and Tommy Carr, take some action.

I thought this was a poor Cavan performance. Dunne is not aggressive nor strong enough for FB. When the Louth CHB was moved in on him it was big trouble. I thought the two corner backs were also very loose. Hannon simply stood of that Clarke lad and let him shoot with no pressure. Our midfield did well enough for maybe 3/4 of the game but got cleaned in the vital last 1/4 when they seemed to have no legs. Some don't rate Galligan but I thought that he was a big loss. I thought podge did well on the ball but was loose enough defending and the same with Gunner. McCutcheon was decent enough. I thought our half forward line made little impact. For me Lyng was poor, didn't get into the game and in the end seemed to run out of steam. We really struggle against athletic teams that get men behind the ball. We have no strength to break tackles and no target man inside. We try and thread the ball through the eye of a needle to johnstone. Normally we kick it away and the defending team breaks at pace. Then you have some lads really trying to make tackles and some standing with their hands on their hips. Cavan allowed Louth to break repeatedly and the 6 forwards did not work enough to stop it.
The masters of mass defence and athletic counter attacks Fermanagh will probably be our 1st match in the championship.
Saying this I think Carr has done a reasonable job. Hes tried different players in different roles. At the start of the year we were really worried abour midfield but we seem to have a couple of options now. FB he has not solved and it is a shame Eoin Smith was not brought in on time to give him a run. He'd be a gamble at FF for the championship. I hope he can see that we need a target man at FF or at least the option of a target man. I think Carr will need another year or two to make any real strides bit he is doing ok and learning bit by bit of the panel he has inherited.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up on April 12, 2009, 10:05:06 PM
Aye I saw Fintan was in goals, but what I was wondering was where was James? Don't tell me there has been a fall out?

Do you know who was the sub-keeper BHM? And I thought you were heading out for pints!
It's still early yet  ;D
He was on the bench, Togged out aswell.
dont know what the story was, slight injury? or maybe just giving Fintan Reily a chance.

put-it-up

It is very strange that James wasn't in the goals. He is far better than Fintan and mans the defence much better.

Fintan is ok but not really an intercounty keeper. Hannon is playing shocking stuff at the minute - think he could do with a couple of club games under his belt.

With regards to Jelly, i noticed that bad attitude sneaking into his game. Maybe he need's to have a look at himself. Potentially he is one of the top 5 forwards in the county, but he needs to work off the ball ( which i felt he did against Roscommon) and learn to apprecaite that the other boys are bursting their B locks off to try and get the ball into him.

After our league campaign what do you think our best 15 is? Here is what I think
James
Hannon - with time
Dermot Sheridan - no other real options. Wish Eoin Smith had of got a league game or two
Brides - Is a good man marker

Flanangan - A great all round footballer but it better in defence than attack
Gunner - If we just get him to use his head and hold the middle
McCutcheon or Dunne - Tough call, both have impressed and really developed under Carr

Galligan - Not his biggest fan, but we need his effort and engine
Still not sure who will partner him. Mulvey still has to win me over but looks the best option

Mackey - will be great when he is back to full fitness
Lyng - Really liked what I saw against Roscommon. Tackled hard and always gives an option
Martin Reilly - Has not been as consistent this year, but I think highly of him

Pierson - Two years ago he was better than Jelly
Cullivan - let him have a free role. Can drifit out and leave space for the boys inside
Jelly - Get him a spoon full of cop on and kicking points over the bar

On the bench we have the likes of Podge, Larry, Jayo, Dermot, Keating, Givney and so on. Players that are actually capable of coming on and doing something. One thing that does concern me of my team, is the lack of height, but Carr will just have to get us playing to out strengths

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: put-it-up on April 13, 2009, 12:15:49 AM
It is very strange that James wasn't in the goals. He is far better than Fintan and mans the defence much better.

Fintan is ok but not really an intercounty keeper. Hannon is playing shocking stuff at the minute - think he could do with a couple of club games under his belt.

With regards to Jelly, i noticed that bad attitude sneaking into his game. Maybe he need's to have a look at himself. Potentially he is one of the top 5 forwards in the county, but he needs to work off the ball ( which i felt he did against Roscommon) and learn to apprecaite that the other boys are bursting their B locks off to try and get the ball into him.

After our league campaign what do you think our best 15 is? Here is what I think
James
Hannon - with time
Dermot Sheridan - no other real options. Wish Eoin Smith had of got a league game or two
Brides - Is a good man marker

Flanangan - A great all round footballer but it better in defence than attack
Gunner - If we just get him to use his head and hold the middle
McCutcheon or Dunne - Tough call, both have impressed and really developed under Carr

Galligan - Not his biggest fan, but we need his effort and engine
Still not sure who will partner him. Mulvey still has to win me over but looks the best option

Mackey - will be great when he is back to full fitness
Lyng - Really liked what I saw against Roscommon. Tackled hard and always gives an option
Martin Reilly - Has not been as consistent this year, but I think highly of him

Pierson - Two years ago he was better than Jelly
Cullivan - let him have a free role. Can drifit out and leave space for the boys inside
Jelly - Get him a spoon full of cop on and kicking points over the bar

On the bench we have the likes of Podge, Larry, Jayo, Dermot, Keating, Givney and so on. Players that are actually capable of coming on and doing something. One thing that does concern me of my team, is the lack of height, but Carr will just have to get us playing to out strengths
I was going to post that very question before the Louth game.

I'd adjust your team as follows put-it-up:
Fanin in for Brides
Cahill in for Hannon if form doesn't pick up. I like Brides but I think Fannin has performed best at corner-back overall and Cahill has been a little hard done by.
I agree that Sheridan is the best option we've tried and I must admit that despite some efforts, I've never seen Smith play.

I'd have McCutcheon and Dunne at wing-back with Gunner in the middle. They've been solid when playing there.

Walsh to partner Galligan in the middle. Can't rely on Lorcan to do anything. Could make an impact from the bench though.

I'd have Flanagan in for Martin Reilly. He's tried hard despite Johnston's efforts but I just don't think he's good enough if we have everyone available.

I'd probably have McCabe in for Cullivan. Tough to leave him out but something has to give plus he hasn't really been tried there has he?

That leaves a bench of Fintan,Brides,Cahill,Podge,Mulvey,Cullivan,Sean Brady,Eddie,Larry,Keating,Givney and of course McKeever whenever his sabbatical is over ;)

Now if we could only get them all pulling in the one direction.....

1.James Reilly
2.Michael Hannon
3.Dermot Sheridan
4.Keith Fannin
5.John McCutcheon
6.Paul Brady
7.Rory Dunne
8.Nicholas Walsh
9.Ciaran Galligan
10.Cian Mackey
11.Micheal Lyng
12.Ronan Flanagan
13.Gerard Pierson
14.Dermot McCabe
15.Sean Johnston

Has the look of champions, no? ???

mattockranger

well lads tough game yesterday

just wonder was mackay injured?
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mattockranger on April 13, 2009, 12:47:11 PM

He's been out for a while with the mumps I think. Rumour had it he'd back yesterday but it wasn't the case.

Babe Ruth 47

I was told from an exteremly reliable source that Miller was dropped due to disiplinary reasons. Refused to do some stuff at training. Pity but I'm sure it was just a gentle reminder.

big balla

Quote from: cavan4ever on April 12, 2009, 10:24:36 AM
Heard a few stores about Redhills game best one was they were down by 5 with 3 minutes to go and got 2-1 in last few minutes.  Hope they get whats coming to them soon getting very hard to listen to some of them lads  :-X . There on some run though.

Cant believe Kill beat Drumlane.

I'm a new member to the board and this is my first post. have followed the thread for the last 50 pages or so. felt i had to comment on what you said cavan4ever.
redhills have come a long way since playing division 3 league and junior championship a few years ago, they should be allowed to enjoy the succuss they're having without people saying they "get whats coming to them". they are on a fantastic run for a club of their size and its only natural that they would become more confident

cavan4sam

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 13, 2009, 05:18:11 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on April 13, 2009, 12:47:11 PM

He's been out for a while with the mumps I think. Rumour had it he'd back yesterday but it wasn't the case.

Just to update ye on Mackey, he played for us on Saturday evening but had very little energy, his illness had completely drained him, still scored a couple of points, but was only at one third of what he can do.

By the way we bet Ballinagh 2-11 to 0-7. That moves us on to 6 points from 4 games and unlucky not to have the full compliment, last minute goal v Killygarry. Denn up next for us in a local derby and they are yet to pick up a point.

cavan4ever

Quote from: big balla on April 13, 2009, 08:46:49 PM
Heard a few stores about Redhills game best one was they were down by 5 with 3 minutes to go and got 2-1 in last few minutes.  Hope they get whats coming to them soon getting very hard to listen to some of them lads  :-X . There on some run though.

I'm a new member to the board and this is my first post. have followed the thread for the last 50 pages or so. felt i had to comment on what you said cavan4ever.
redhills have come a long way since playing division 3 league and junior championship a few years ago, they should be allowed to enjoy the succuss they're having without people saying they "get whats coming to them". they are on a fantastic run for a club of their size and its only natural that they would become more confident

Point taken.

So there is a good break now till the championship starts for Cavan.  Hopefully there will be plenty of challenge games to get try and get the problem positions sorted out.  What is the real story with McKeever does anyone know.  At the time Carr said he wasnt suspended from the panel , that he was just taking some time off.  He'd struggle to get on the team anyway the way he was playing.

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4ever on April 14, 2009, 01:41:26 PM
Quote from: big balla on April 13, 2009, 08:46:49 PM

Point taken.

So there is a good break now till the championship starts for Cavan.  Hopefully there will be plenty of challenge games to get try and get the problem positions sorted out.  What is the real story with McKeever does anyone know.  At the time Carr said he wasnt suspended from the panel , that he was just taking some time off.  He'd struggle to get on the team anyway the way he was playing.
I believe that McKeever was more than willing to go back in to the panel if he was asked.At the time he thought it would be for a month or 2.He never got the call and I believe that he is very pissed off considering every other player(and there was a few) that broke the rules that Carr had set out has since been asked back to the panel.
I think at this stage he should have been asked back in.Cavan could really do with Mark McKeever on top of his game. but I dont think he would go back in now so we'l just have to get on with it.

The club coverage continues to spread on the Cavan thread.
Big Balla any word on Paddy Gumley,he had to wait a few months on word,Did he hear anything of late?

cavan4sam

from what I have been told by members of the panel, McKeever was thrown off the panel of going on the beer after the over night stay in Mayo, it was his second offence so that was why he was kicked off. Apparently his first offence was either before or after the Antrim game. I cant remember which.

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4sam on April 14, 2009, 01:54:50 PM
from what I have been told by members of the panel, McKeever was thrown off the panel of going on the beer after the over night stay in Mayo, it was his second offence so that was why he was kicked off. Apparently his first offence was either before or after the Antrim game. I cant remember which.
Yes thats true.It was the second offence,the first being missing the Antrim game.I suppose its 2 strikes and your gone.But he should have been told that.