Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Think Larry will defo be a impact sub come the summer. He is not past it yet, just needs to sharpen up. I think he is a great asset to have in the panel and apparently he is excellent in training.

Lads, whats the story with Pierson? What did he injure?

cavanmaniac

It sounds to me like first priority for Tommy Carr is trying out as many players in different positions as he can, and if we can chalk up enough wins and challenge for promotion at the same time, then so be it.

I feared we wouldn't have the same sting in us against Limerick as we had against Down when we took to the field with public opprobrium bouncing off the drumlins, and it sounds like this is how it played out.

It's pleasing on one hand that we're trying lots of things at this stage of the year rather than juggling with the formula come June like Keogan did last year, but I'd personally like to see a relatively young side learning in the higher level of Division 2 next year and I hope we knuckle down a bit better to the task from here on.

It'll be a hell of a battle against the table-topping Rossies on the 29th in Breffni now especially if the lads are as up for it as they were in Newry.

And I'll tell you something else, Tipp are giving the division a fair rattle!

Thanks to all observers for keeping us absentees posted!

mylestheslasher

Anyone know what the story with Pierson is. I heard he was injured but not from a reliable source. Pity if he is gone from the panel as he was playing well.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 16, 2009, 04:27:48 PM
Anyone know what the story with Pierson is. I heard he was injured but not from a reliable source. Pity if he is gone from the panel as he was playing well.
He missed the opening game against Killygarry through injury so I presume that's still the case. He talked to the papers as if he meant business this year so hopefully he'll be back soon.

put-it-up

The U21 team arrived in my email account last night. Here it is

Alan O'Mara
Patrick Carroll
Rory Dunne
Ray Farrelly
Barry Watters
James McEnroe
Daniel Graham
Gearoid McKiernan
David Givney
Declan McKiernan
Eugene Keating
Robert Maloney-Dernham
Conor Smith
Ray Cullivan
Niall McDermott

anglocelt39

Thanks Put it up, was it yourself on another thread was saying that only 4 or 5 lads are at their final under 21 year, have you any idea what that number is on the team you have just posted. It's hard to see us going a serious distance in this competition if you have not got a strong core of lads who are right at the age limit I would have thought. Mind you, now that I've typed that, we got to an Under 21 AIF in 96 with a pretty young team. Feckit forget those few sentences and give me an idea of the number, if  you can..........
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Lawrence of Knockbride

Is the game in Armagh and what time? Anybody going? Anyone got directions to the pitch?-

cavan4ever

Quote from: put-it-up on March 17, 2009, 12:30:40 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on March 17, 2009, 11:45:16 AM
Thanks Put it up, was it yourself on another thread was saying that only 4 or 5 lads are at their final under 21 year, have you any idea what that number is on the team you have just posted. It's hard to see us going a serious distance in this competition if you have not got a strong core of lads who are right at the age limit I would have thought. Mind you, now that I've typed that, we got to an Under 21 AIF in 96 with a pretty young team. Feckit forget those few sentences and give me an idea of the number, if  you can..........

Angloclet, of that starting 15, only Cullivan is overage next year i believe. Jesus that is a young team. O'Dowd and Gaffney aren't playing so I presume they are injured.

I dont know, i'm a believer in if they are good enough they are old enough. Sure 5 or 6 of that team have already experienced senior-inter county football.

It will be interesting to see if they can produce on the night. But for gods sake we need a repeat of that AI sucess back in 96. It gave the whole county a boost and boy god could we do with that again. It only takes one team to change a counties reputation

We need some of our underage teams to produce very soon. There have been to many moral victories over the years.  What AI sucess was there in 96 ?

put-it-up

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 17, 2009, 12:46:22 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on March 17, 2009, 12:30:40 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on March 17, 2009, 11:45:16 AM

Angloclet, of that starting 15, only Cullivan is overage next year i believe. Jesus that is a young team. O'Dowd and Gaffney aren't playing so I presume they are injured.

I dont know, i'm a believer in if they are good enough they are old enough. Sure 5 or 6 of that team have already experienced senior-inter county football.

It will be interesting to see if they can produce on the night. But for gods sake we need a repeat of that AI sucess back in 96. It gave the whole county a boost and boy god could we do with that again. It only takes one team to change a counties reputation

We need some of our underage teams to produce very soon. There have been to many moral victories over the years.  What AI sucess was there in 96 ?

my bad, I think my subconcious was wishing we had sucess in 96! ;D I just meant that sucess they enjoyed in getting to the final, played a big part in the Ulster Win of 97.

cavanmaniac

Massive Cavan crowd in Thurles that day, Peter Reilly went for glory in the last few minutes, didn't pass the ball and elected to shoot a wild one that went high wide and not very handsome. Kerry tacked on a few scores and won easily enough in the end.

We were a county on the move then alright. I've highlighted the players I recall as going on to represent their counties in senior championship, and had a stab at the clubs as well for a laugh, someone can correct any mistakes no doubt.

I believe there has been underage talent enough in the county to at least repeat our All-Ireland final appearance at this grade in the intervening years, it'd be a huge fillip if we even got to an Ulster final or something this year. Anyway, that's very previous of me, but am just highlighting how a county in the doldrums with seemingly no apparent right to expect an U21 run, can sometimes do just that.

Here's hoping anyway.

Kerry 1-17 Cavan 2-10

Kerry: D. Murphy; K O'Driscoll, B McCarthy, M O'Shea; K Burns, C Drummond, E Fitzmaurice; D O'Sé, W Kirby; D Dwyer, L Hassett, D O'Cinneide; J O'Shea, B Clarke, MF Russell. Subs: J Brennan for Clarke, R O'Rahilly for Brennan, J Ferriter for J O'Shea

Cavan: A Donohoe - Belturbet; P Murphy - Belturbet, M Reilly - Knockbride, C McCarey - Kill; P Brady - Laragh, P Reilly- Knockbride, M McGuaran - Lacken; D McCabe - Gowna, T Farrelly - Cucus ; D Fagan - Mullahoran, R Brennan - B'Boro, A Forde Shannon Gaels as he was then; J Reilly - Belturbet, L Reilly - Knockbride, M Graham - Cavan Gaels

Homer

EDIT-  D'oh missed it on previous page  :P

Cavan u21 team for tonight....

Alan O'Meara (Bailieborough)
Patrick Carroll (Ballinagh)
Rory Dunne (Redhills)
Raymond Farrelly (Ramor)
Daniel Graham (Cavan Gaels)
James McEnroe (Ramor)
Barry Watters (Drung)
David Givney (Mountnugent)
Gearóid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
Declan McKiernan (Killeshandra)
Eugene Keating (Cuchullains)
Robert Maloney Derham (Cavan Gaels)
Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)
Raymond Cullivan (Ballyhaise)
Conor Smith (Cuchuillains)

Dane O'Dowd, Enda Gaffney, Adrian Cole and Niall O'Reilly all out injured. Fairly strong side considering the injuries, lots of versatility there. Looking like I'll be able to make the trip up, hopefully it will be a happy one home.

cavan4ever

Has that team being realised to the media?

mylestheslasher

Are Northern Sound covering the match?

mylestheslasher

Beaten again by 2 points. I'm pissed off now.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 18, 2009, 09:19:03 PM
Beaten again by 2 points. I'm pissed off now.

Behind for most of game, there is always next year.