Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Quote from: anglocelt39 on March 13, 2009, 07:13:01 PM
The only real chance I get to follow Cavan's progress these days is via Northern Sound on the net. After a while you have no choice but to get used to it , in fact it gets to the stage of being "so bad it's good" type of thing as you wait for the next faux pas. Put it up I've seen the Shamrocks play twice in the current century-distance and slim pickings being the reason, still a few of us keep tabs on things from  a distance so I would be familiar with a few of the names you mention.

Seems from what you say that a few of the old guard stayed around a bit too long, happens in manys a club. Are the likes of Neil Donnellan, Rob Mulhall, Andy Coleman togging out-it's lads like that you would need to be stepping up if you are to bounce back. Young Luke Sheridan was one hardy buck at minor level, I think injuries did him no real good. Will watch, as best we can, from distance. Keep us posted.

No Neal Donnellan is not around this year and Andy Coleman said he did not want to play. Truth be told he has not wanted to play for the last couple of years...It is a shame because boy god was he one good footballer in his younger years!
Young Sheridan has had cruciate troubles, done it for a second time only two weeks ago. The poor fella was only getting back into the swing of things.

PS, my heart goes out to you having to use Nortern Sound, you must be an intelligent man to decipher the codes they use :D

What club are u anglocelt39?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: put-it-up on March 13, 2009, 07:32:59 PM
The only real chance I get to follow Cavan's progress these days is via Northern Sound on the net. After a while you have no choice but to get used to it , in fact it gets to the stage of being "so bad it's good" type of thing as you wait for the next faux pas. Put it up I've seen the Shamrocks play twice in the current century-distance and slim pickings being the reason, still a few of us keep tabs on things from  a distance so I would be familiar with a few of the names you mention.

Seems from what you say that a few of the old guard stayed around a bit too long, happens in manys a club. Are the likes of Neil Donnellan, Rob Mulhall, Andy Coleman togging out-it's lads like that you would need to be stepping up if you are to bounce back. Young Luke Sheridan was one hardy buck at minor level, I think injuries did him no real good. Will watch, as best we can, from distance. Keep us posted.

No Neal Donnellan is not around this year and Andy Coleman said he did not want to play. Truth be told he has not wanted to play for the last couple of years...It is a shame because boy god was he one good footballer in his younger years!
Young Sheridan has had cruciate troubles, done it for a second time only two weeks ago. The poor fella was only getting back into the swing of things.

PS, my heart goes out to you having to use Nortern Sound, you must be an intelligent man to decipher the codes they use :D

What age is Coleman? I watched him play in the intermediate first round last year and he had a savage second half. Destroyed his man. I'm with ya on the pub Celt-Man. Can't watch any game properly. Good craic if you don't care about the performance but if it's any kind of analysis you're after then forget it. Luckily I don't care too much for the rugger.

anglocelt39

Same as yourself put it up, but long long gone. Ties that bind and all that
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on March 13, 2009, 08:02:03 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on March 13, 2009, 07:32:59 PM

What age is Coleman? I watched him play in the intermediate first round last year and he had a savage second half. Destroyed his man. I'm with ya on the pub Celt-Man. Can't watch any game properly. Good craic if you don't care about the performance but if it's any kind of analysis you're after then forget it. Luckily I don't care too much for the rugger.

Ah Coleman is  a serious footballer, has serious talent. But motivation was the problem. He broke his collarbone a few years ago and never really recovered.

I am another man, that bloody hates watching a game in the pub. Someone is always there to distract and you cant fully focus on the game itself.

Ah you must return to the Shamrocks anglocelt. Any chance we could put you in on the square :D

cavanmaniac

Random obscure Northern Sound moment (away league game versus Waterford some years ago)

"And McCabe goes up for the ball.....he soars high...and down he comes. He's like a jumbo jet.

"Interestingly, a jumbo jet, I read during the week, burns some 34,000 litres of aviation fuel on take off which is an incredible amount when you think about it meanwhile the applause in the background tells you Pierson has tapped over a free for Cavan..."

Honest to Jasus, if you listen long enough they'd nearly do something outrageous - like tell you the f**king score or something.

Worst of all, and I'll never forget it, was the qualifier against Limerick some years back, we drew down there and then lost in Breffni. We were a point down in injury time (perhaps in extra time I can't recall) and we won a scoreable free near the Limerick goals. Just as you're inching to the edge of the seat and saying a Hail Mary, the commentator in his boundless wisdom breaks off for some interesting fact or other about such and such's grandfather who won a Junior C league with Adrigole in Cork having worked in Cavan earlier in the year as a rat catcher for the council etc. etc.
You can hear the crowd cheering in the background and you're dancing around the kitchen with your heart in your mouth wondering is it Limerick fans cheering a wide or our boys cheering an equaliser and then you hear the full time whistle and - almost as an afterthought - the bollocks casually mentions that Peter Reilly tapped over a free moments previously and the game was going to a replay.

You couldn't make it up, seriously.

BallyhaiseMan

ah a Balieborough discussion, this is a first  :-* il try and not offend Anglocelt and put it up
Neil Donnelan could have done with a trial on the county team, ive seen him put some very good players in his pocket.
David Rooney is also a very good footballer as is Declan Reily.
Midfield would be a problem for you lads id say, Never really replaced big Charlie.
Seen your junior team against our lads in Championship semi final last year in atrocious conditions in Virginia, you had a few big lads at centre field who were useful, Barry McMahon???
Paddy Byrd is a good player, terrific free taker off the ground from what i seen a few years ago. Dessie Reily is also a good forward.
what age is young Niall Kelly,been hearing he was the scourge of some very good Ballyhaise underage teams over the last 5 years,hes going to be a good one id imagine.
Andy Coleman was a class act,done well on his only real county duty under Eamon Coleman(especially good game against Armagh in the league)
Far too many good players to be getting relegated to Div 3, i cant imagine if the attitude is right,that anyone will take any points off ye in the league.

as for Big Charlie and Lambe, still strutting their stuff for the juniors ,handy lads to have about for a junior team
Running into Charlie Clarke even at 35/36 would not be pleasant.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavanmaniac on March 13, 2009, 11:41:17 PM
Random obscure Northern Sound moment (away league game versus Waterford some years ago)

"And McCabe goes up for the ball.....he soars high...and down he comes. He's like a jumbo jet.

"Interestingly, a jumbo jet, I read during the week, burns some 34,000 litres of aviation fuel on take off which is an incredible amount when you think about it meanwhile the applause in the background tells you Pierson has tapped over a free for Cavan..."

Honest to Jasus, if you listen long enough they'd nearly do something outrageous - like tell you the f**king score or something.

Worst of all, and I'll never forget it, was the qualifier against Limerick some years back, we drew down there and then lost in Breffni. We were a point down in injury time (perhaps in extra time I can't recall) and we won a scoreable free near the Limerick goals. Just as you're inching to the edge of the seat and saying a Hail Mary, the commentator in his boundless wisdom breaks off for some interesting fact or other about such and such's grandfather who won a Junior C league with Adrigole in Cork having worked in Cavan earlier in the year as a rat catcher for the council etc. etc.
You can hear the crowd cheering in the background and you're dancing around the kitchen with your heart in your mouth wondering is it Limerick fans cheering a wide or our boys cheering an equaliser and then you hear the full time whistle and - almost as an afterthought - the bollocks casually mentions that Peter Reilly tapped over a free moments previously and the game was going to a replay.

You couldn't make it up, seriously.

Terrible commentary indeed Maniac,they would sicken your hole rambling on about something or another. id say about 30-40% of their commentary is non football related, absolutely abysmal.

trim blue

Ah yes Northern Sound, Radio Ga Ga with a couple of A's missing  ;D The problem with yer man is that you get the impression he would be just as happy doing a programme on knitting as commentating on a match.. thanks to all you lads for last weeks great match reports, will be depending on you again this week...
ah sure tog out anyway

anglocelt39

Ah you must return to the Shamrocks anglocelt. Any chance we could put you in on the square

The Square as in Nixy's? That's the only Square I'd be up to at this stage put it up. Amazing how things change, Kingscourt were bloody serious operators when I was knocking around in the late 70's early 80's, you wouldn't think it now. Beauty of the GAA I suppose, one or two mentors can make such a difference to a club, The Shamrocks were absoultely banjoed at the time and the legendary Donal Kellly returned from England and banished all negative attitudes within 12 months (understand his son Paul is busy doing the same thing at underage level now). He took a minor team from the arsehole of nowhere to a county final within 12 months. Remember him in the dressing room in Breffni before a County semi final against a Mullahoran/Gowna combination who were hot favourites. He gave a very reasoned and sensible team talk to the assembled townies before concluding with the immortal words "right lads get out there and kick the shite out of the f**kers, which we did............."

Sorry to be a bore about all this lads and sounding like your fathers but enjoy the moment, don't end up a sad p***k like me saying 20 years later "why didn't I try harder"

Fair play for the words BHM, after all the annoyance Fab Vinnie landed on you.

God the pints were ok tonight.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

put-it-up

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 13, 2009, 11:42:34 PM
ah a Balieborough discussion, this is a first  :-* il try and not offend Anglocelt and put it up
Neil Donnelan could have done with a trial on the county team, ive seen him put some very good players in his pocket.
David Rooney is also a very good footballer as is Declan Reily.
Midfield would be a problem for you lads id say, Never really replaced big Charlie.
Seen your junior team against our lads in Championship semi final last year in atrocious conditions in Virginia, you had a few big lads at centre field who were useful, Barry McMahon???
Paddy Byrd is a good player, terrific free taker off the ground from what i seen a few years ago. Dessie Reily is also a good forward.
what age is young Niall Kelly,been hearing he was the scourge of some very good Ballyhaise underage teams over the last 5 years,hes going to be a good one id imagine.
Andy Coleman was a class act,done well on his only real county duty under Eamon Coleman(especially good game against Armagh in the league)
Far too many good players to be getting relegated to Div 3, i cant imagine if the attitude is right,that anyone will take any points off ye in the league.

as for Big Charlie and Lambe, still strutting their stuff for the juniors ,handy lads to have about for a junior team
Running into Charlie Clarke even at 35/36 would not be pleasant.

Ballyhaise man you know more about our team than some of the previous managers ;D

We do, talent is not our problem - from what I gather it is more an attitude thing! Sometimes I think of us as the club version of Cavan (tongue in cheek)/

Niall Kelly has singlehandedly beaten Ballyhaise at times in the last few years. It was like a little shoot off between him and Tierney (another outstanding talent).Kelly's problem is he is currently out of shape and a has lost his burst of space. Still only a minor I am sure he will get it back.

Byrd is a fantastic player, but ther is no controlling him. Paul Sharkey is another good player.

I think it is going to take the majority of this season for our team to click, given there are so many new faces. But as you say if the attitude is right, not many teams should take points off us.

PS. if only there was a record of dumb quotes from Norther Sound. I reckon if the two boys were asked to speak about a ball of cotton wool for 70 minutes they would somehow manage it!

Babe Ruth 47

2 more points, won 9 - 10. Sounded absolutely diabolial, but 2 points ia 2 points. Limerick seemed to miss an awful lot. Roll on Armagh and the Rossies

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on March 14, 2009, 09:04:49 PM
2 more points, won 9 - 10. Sounded absolutely diabolial, but 2 points ia 2 points. Limerick seemed to miss an awful lot. Roll on Armagh and the Rossies
Wouldn't go as far as diabolical but Limerick should've been out of sight after 20 minutes missing both goal and point chances aplenty. It took that same length of time for Jelly & Larry to decide to run, although in fairness to Johnston he had his hands full telling Martin Reilly what he should be doing. ::)

Full-back line did well overall but I hope that's the last we see of Sean Brady at CHB. Whoever's plan that was, hats off for originality but bring back Flanagan (where was he and Cullivan?)
Midfield were poor enough although Mulvey ran around gamely if headless before being called ashore for the ginger one.
Keating did quite well as did Mackey, overdoing it on occassion.
It seems like Carr is trying different players in different positions, and as with Podge let's hope he learns as time goes on.

2 points in the bag if a little fortunate and I haven't mentioned Jonny Crowe's performance which I think we should all try to forget.

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on March 14, 2009, 09:48:45 PM
Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on March 14, 2009, 09:04:49 PM
Wouldn't go as far as diabolical but Limerick should've been out of sight after 20 minutes missing both goal and point chances aplenty. It took that same length of time for Jelly & Larry to decide to run, although in fairness to Johnston he had his hands full telling Martin Reilly what he should be doing. ::)

Full-back line did well overall but I hope that's the last we see of Sean Brady at CHB. Whoever's plan that was, hats off for originality but bring back Flanagan (where was he and Cullivan?)
Midfield were poor enough although Mulvey ran around gamely if headless before being called ashore for the ginger one.
Keating did quite well as did Mackey, overdoing it on occassion.
It seems like Carr is trying different players in different positions, and as with Podge let's hope he learns as time goes on.

2 points in the bag if a little fortunate and I haven't mentioned Jonny Crowe's performance which I think we should all try to forget.
it wasnt pretty, it wasnt great, but it was a win.

Couldn't believe when i saw Brady with number six on his back (really dont rate him), and Crowe was appalin..would have taken him off at HT.

I thought Keating was poor but he needs time - has alot of potential. Mackey impressed. Larry got in the way at times,  it was like he was trying too hard. That was a good lad marking Jelly.

Cullivan got an injection today and was rested. Wednesday was given the priority over this league game. Was reasonably happy with FB line, but Limerick were  poor. If they had of brought there scoring boots they would of been out of sight after 15 mins.

whats my name

poor game but 2 points is 2 points not much positives from the game keating was poor as was johnny crowe where was larry in the second half was he playing though dermott sheridan was solid enough at full back limericks number 25 donealot of damage who ever he was but at least we got 2 points

BallyhaiseMan

25 for Limerick was Stephen Kelly, he wasnt very far away from an all star 5/6 years ago when limerick got to a few Munster finals in a row,hard man to watch.

Going by the ratings you can see our full back line was outstanding last night.
Miller made a terrific save in the first half, best goalkeeper for one on one's in the country and its not even close,Kickouts were varied,He hit Givney well when he came on. 8

Michael Hannon, he was marking AFL Target and one of the best young players in the country, Ian Ryan who scored 3-7 against Meath last year, and what did he do?? completely nullified him from open play. Terrific performance. 8

Dermot Sheridan, i thought he was going to be in trouble with that 6'3 plus full forward,but he coped very well,only made one mistake when he misjudged the flight of the ball in the first half. 8

Keith Fannin, Man of the match for me, made interception after interception, terrific defensive display. 9

Only harsh point on the full back line was they did give away a few frees, However the referee Duffy from Sligo was awful and you couldnt touch a Limerick player inside your own 45 without giving away a free.

Half back line,
John McCutcheon, done well, kicked a great point off his left foot in the second half, switched over onto Stephen Kelly in the second half and kept him fairly quiet after. 7

Sean Brady, got a roasting by the aforementioned Kelly in the first half, never really enforced himself into the game,dont think hes going to hold the Number 6 jersey. 5

Johnny Crowe, Johnny had a night to forget, gave the ball away 3 times in a row in the first half, also got a bit of a roasting when Kelly moved onto him. Taken off and replaced by Rory Dunne. 5

Lorcan Mulvey, i might get abuse for this,but i thought Mulvey done fairly well last night,he seems to have lost a bit of weight from the start of the year,was moving rightly last night,done stupid things like diving into tackles,kicked a good score and put in a good shift against a player who was at least 2 inches taller than him.Only caught one clean ball from what i can remember though,replaced by McCabe. 7

Ciaran Galligan,done well,Like Mulvey only had one clean catch,but most of the ball was broken,kicked a good score in the first half,got up and down the field all night long,just like we have come to expect from him. 7

Martin Reily,kicked a few frees and one from play but his first touch last night was terrible,he kept on fumbling the ball and losing it in contact,H has all the skills but didnt have his best day at the office last night,kicked 2 wides. 6

Eugene Keating, got on a lot of ball,kicked 3 wides from fairly scoreable positions which could have proved crucial,Hes definetely worth another shot though,id say he will be much improved wednesday night. 6

Cian Mackey, Rednblack im going to have to disagree with you here, while he wasnt near as good as his majestic performance against Down,and he did do some stupid things,like holding the ball too long and running into cul de sacs as you said,i thought he was decent last night,scored a good point from play,ran at the Limerick backline causing them problems. 7

Eddie Reily,worked very hard and battled gamely,unlucky to be taken off as he didnt do anything wrong,Hes improved an awful lot in knowing when to give the pass,if all the Cavan players had his heart and determination, we wouldnt be in Division 3,thats for sure. 7

Sean Johnston, looked dangerous when he got the ball,but kicked two balls short which he has a habit of doing,must have ended up with 0-4 or 0-5, as RednBlack said he does roar and shout alot at other players about the type of ball coming in,Not what you want to be hearing when your bursting your arse. 8

Larry Reily, Larry had a night to forget, kicked 4 wides all from scoreable positions bar maybe 1,he has lost a fair bit of weight, and still has that burst of speed, when he left 3 Limerick defenders for dead in the second half. I think he will be more of an impact sub come the summer. 5

subs
Rory Dunne for Crowe, made two telling dispossessions in the last 10 minutes,One on Limericks last attack of the game.Big game from him wednesday night and he might force his way back into the team at wing back.

Dermot McCabe, a slimmer McCabe came on,sprayed some good ball around,has alot of work to do on his sharpness and fitness though.

David Givney,thought he was outstanding when he came on for Martin Reily i think it was, One of the few Cavan men to win a few breaks, an area which we were cleaned out of,for certain periods especially in the first half,Made one good catch aswell and drove forward when given the chance. 8

Conor Smith,only came on at very end

Jason Reily, came on with a few minutes left.

Positives for me was the Goalkeeper/ Full back line who were excellent, we also created alot of chances, Larry had 4 wides, Keating 3 ,Martin Reily 2 and Seanie dropped 2 short,all scoreable.

Negatives were plenfitful aswell im afraid, for a period of 10 minutes in the first half we didnt win one break at centrefield, all in all with the exception of McCutcheon, The Half back and half forward lines were very poor in my opinion.
Midfield battled gamely against bigger men, while Limerick caught 4 clean ballagainst our 3(Givney,Mulvey,Galligan) it was mostly breaks as the modern game is,and we werent proficient at that last night at all.

Forwards were wasteful last night,Limerick missed 6-7 points in the first half
we didn the same in the second.

Good to win all the same,we played better in Longford and lost.