Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

Maybe this week-end's results in Newry and Kilmallock might suggest that both Tipp and Cavan are better teams than most of you were saying after the game in Breffni Park.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 08, 2009, 08:36:44 PM
I think you need to watch Galligan closely. I did last night. He contested every kickout and Down were really struggling  to get to the ball in the air before him. Clean catching was difficult in those condition. What is really impressing me is his running of the ball. When is the last time Cavan had a midfielder that ran up and down the pitch all night. He supported his men going forward and he tracked men back all night. Down could not run with him. If McCabe put in that performance for Cavan we'd all be saying how great he was. Cavan would not have won that game without Galligan. Suddenly, we have options in the middle of the park. McCabe, Galligan, Cullivan, Givney and Mulvey will all be fighting for those spots.

Galligan is a terrific athlete with very good football ability and a great attitude, in my opinion hes done enough in periods of games this year(which ive seen, the only one ive been disappointed with him was Tipp) to warrant nearly an automatic place at midfield. None of the other options in Givney,McCabe, Cullivan,Mulvey and Walsh have his engine to get up and down the pitch,even if hes not playing particularly well at times, he will give us that.
id like to see Givney alongside him at MF against Limerick.
Might not even be a bad idea to put Walsh as a sweeper in the backline IF limerick have a tall full forward.
Good to see some big men showing promise.

boojangles

I think for things to click with that Cavan team we need to create as much space in the forward line as possible. My father has been going on and on about the need for Cavan to play a 3rd Midfielder leaving Jelly and Pierson inside.His ideal man for the 3rd midfielder role is Paul the Gunner(being from Mullahoran) and I suppose he has a point.He is excellent in the air,has the reactions of a cat to get in for breaking ball,he is very comfortable on the ball,he can attack and defend and he is very fit.He is also a good passer of the ball which is vital.I think Cullivan could work also in this role.Judging by his performance Saturday nite,a free role would definitely suit him.BHMan and Myles talked about the yards Galligan covered and they are right,Galligan was crying out for ball around the Down goals a few times but never got it but Cullivan I felt covered even more ground,he was everywhere.
You can say that the opposing team can just drop a man back in front of the full-forward line but it is very hard to cover the runs of a 2 man full-forward line on an open field like Breifne Park,anybody who has played in the States or 13-a side could tell you that.With Johnson and Pierson firing on all guns you have 2 of the most dangerous forwards in the province.And if that isnt working you always have the option of throwing in a big target man.
Just on another point,a quick question for anybody who was in Newry-Would any of yous think that Cavan could have played the brilliant controlled possesion game on Saturday nite if Dermot McCabe was playing?

the salmon of knowledge

spot on BHM, givney and galligan for MF next week hopefully,galligan is a good foil for givney as he does a hell of alot of tracking back that goes unhearlded, a good footballer, but it seems to be his great attitude and application that sets him apart, when givney is on form, catching well we dont need a 3rd midfielder, as there is no reason to crowd the midfield, keating really threw his name into the ring for future games, mackey also

boojangles

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on March 09, 2009, 03:04:59 PM
spot on BHM, givney and galligan for MF next week hopefully,galligan is a good foil for givney as he does a hell of alot of tracking back that goes unhearlded, a good footballer, but it seems to be his great attitude and application that sets him apart, when givney is on form, catching well we dont need a 3rd midfielder, as there is no reason to crowd the midfield, keating really threw his name into the ring for future games, mackey also
[/b]
As well as Givney did,there is a hell of a difference between a league match in March and the intensity of an Ulster Championship match.We seen the stats that RednBlack had up about the Down game,we won something like 25% of breaks or possession at Midfield.imagine if we had have broke even!Midfield is a minefield and if we are to have any chance of competing against the Tyrones,Derrys or Armaghs, it will be at getting more breaking ball and not winning clean possession-Just ask Mickey Harte and Brian Dooher.Maybe RedNBlack can be more precise but I would say that 90% of ball at Midfield is broke in the modern game,no matter whether we have Daragh O Se or Sean Cavanagh,which we do not.My main point of the 3rd midfielder was to create more space for our inside forwards-not to crowd midfield. But we can not rely on David Givney,Ciaran Galligan,Nicholas Walsh or anybody else to win enough possession therefore its Breaks,Breaks and more Breaks.

Drung

Boojangles, did your father consider running for the Cavan job?

Just curious.

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on March 09, 2009, 05:26:00 PM
Boojangles, did your father consider running for the Cavan job?

Just curious.
No, why do you ask?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: RednBlack on March 09, 2009, 04:21:19 PM
Quote from: boojangles on March 09, 2009, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on March 09, 2009, 03:04:59 PM
[/b]
As well as Givney did,there is a hell of a difference between a league match in March and the intensity of an Ulster Championship match.We seen the stats that RednBlack had up about the Down game,we won something like 25% of breaks or possession at Midfield.imagine if we had have broke even!Midfield is a minefield and if we are to have any chance of competing against the Tyrones,Derrys or Armaghs, it will be at getting more breaking ball and not winning clean possession-Just ask Mickey Harte and Brian Dooher.Maybe RedNBlack can be more precise but I would say that 90% of ball at Midfield is broke in the modern game,no matter whether we have Daragh O Se or Sean Cavanagh,which we do not.My main point of the 3rd midfielder was to create more space for our inside forwards-not to crowd midfield. But we can not rely on David Givney,Ciaran Galligan,Nicholas Walsh or anybody else to win enough possession therefore its Breaks,Breaks and more Breaks.

thats a pretty impressive guesstimate!!!! On Saturday between wides and scoring kick outs there was 44 in total. Only 4 clean catches were made. Thats a 91% breaking ball rate.

If you study the difference in Galligan and Walsh under the ball you will see Galligan bats it down whereas Walsh tries to direct it volleyball style out to a player. This is a part of Galligan's game he needs to work on. Even from talking to squad players they will tell you that he can run forever but needs to put in Sean Cavanagh style hours to get his ball skills up to IC level. Even allowing for the horrible conditions last weekend and his fantastic running a number of times he spilled the ball in possession either during pick up stage or soloing. He looks damn good moving around the field so I hope Carr puts in that work with him similar to what Harte did with Cavanagh to get him strong on both feet.

And it is great to see a big strong Cavan team on the park. We no longer look like we can be bullied easily and that was a promise Carr made at the start. That he would find big men and coach them into IC footballers if he has to at this stage. Lets hope the ball keeps rolling next Saturday.

Having watched McCabe at our place a last week I have to say his only position if at all is on the square. He just couldn't get up and down the park in a club league game. I know he ended up in bed the rest of the week sick so maybe he wasn't feeling well even then but with Walsh Galligan Givney and Cullivan around the place I would say give these guys the scope to learn and gel and not have them looking over their shoulders for the old brigade to return for summer football.

Only a few weeks ago some people were talking about Giveny being too slow in releasing ball etc when at FF. I know he had a couple of nice moments catching on Saturday (he did that at FF too) but is MF a position for him if he is seen as too slow inside??

i believe you can afford one midfielder who isnt the quickest, if you have an athletic fast player alongside him, which we have in Galligan.
a comparison in type would be Colin Holmes(not very quick) and Enda McGinley(very athletic) who combined well at midfield for Tyrone last year.
Before anyone says anything about that comparison,im not comparing them as players to our lads,but as type of players with certain strengths and weaknesses.
Its worth a go for 45-50 minutes of a league game,and if its not working, we can change it.

Swadman

Belturbet   0-10   1-6   Mullahoran.   Played in Kildallan. I hear there was a "shamozal" where a player thumped someone on the line. I dont know the details or who hit who but the sooner every club strictly controls how many they let into the field the better (I suggest all toged out subs + 6 max)

boojangles

Was talking to a Belturbet player last nite but got cut off before I got the full low down but basically the Belturbet player went to fetch the ball out of the Mullahoran dugouts to take a sideline ball when one of the selectors dropped an elbow as he went by,the Belturbet player(who I wouldnt mess with) turned around and split him.All hell broke loose I heard then.Now 2 wrongs don't make a right but I know myself in the heat of a game if an opposing selector met me with a shoulder or elbow I know exactly what Id end up doing.And I wouldnt apologise for it either.
Drung,ya never answered me?

Drung

He seems to be an expert from what you say, I just thought we could do with a man like that in charge.

I don't know either of you by the way.

Celt_Man

Imperial Bar A.C.F.L. Division 1 Round 2
Denn v Cavan Gaels - Cavan Gaels to win a close one                                                                                Right
Gowna v Cuchulainns - CuCu's to beat a Gowna team with tired county players                                                 Wrong
Castlerahan v Killygarry - forgot this one originally coz I was coming back to it - still not sure, maybe Castlerahan to shade it but tiredness of county boys could be for a big factor in last 10 mins                                                                                                                                Wrong
Lavey v Crosserlough - Lavey to beat - going by reports from last week - a poor C'lough side                              Wrong
Belturbet v Mullahoran - Belturbet to bounce back after last week                                                                  Wrong
Ramor Utd. v Redhills - one of the ties of the round, ramor to repeat last years div 2 final win                            Wrong
Lacken v Ballinagh - ballinagh to improve upon last wk's performance but local derbies like this are sometimes a lottery                   Right

Cathal Brady Audi A.C.F.L. Division 2 Round 2
Cootehill v Killeshandra - I think this is gonna be very tight but we have one of our main boys back - so ourselves by 1 or 2???       Wrong
Drumalee v Cavan Gaels - again a derby but you'd think Drumalee might be too much for CG, considering both CG teams are playing at same time        Right
Drumgoon v Kingscourt - Kingscourt by a point or two                                                                                                                Right
Ballyhaise v Killinkere - Ballyhaise to get things back on track by a goal or more                                                                               Right
Drung v Drumlane - always a tight game between these two especially down in bunnoe, going for a draw                                      Wrong
Shercock v Knockbride - Knockbride to win by 3 or 4, tierney and a lesser extend larry too much for Shercock to handle                   Right
Kill v Crosserlough - I believe Kill are still missing a few but the fact that C'lough are playing the same day and need a win in div 1 so won;t use the same players, kill by a point or two                                                                                                                                                                      Right

John Brady Insurances Ltd A.C.F.L. Division 3 Round 2
Sat - Templeport v Shannon Gaels - not too sure about div 3 in general, both teams beaten last wk, but going for Shannon Gaels - the goals killed them last wk so if they stop them this wk, 1 or 2 point win                                                                                                                                     Right
Munterconnacht v Butlersbridge - again a tight one, munterconnacht to make home advantage count                                        off
Corlough v Swanlinbar - good win for corlough last week but I could see Swad having too much for them this wk, Swad by 3 or 4   Right
Cornafean v Kildallon - Killdallon to bounce back after last weeks defeat                                                                                     Off
Laragh Utd v Mountnugent - again potential cracker, both will be in the shake up for promotion if Laragh can handle Givney they'll win but I don't think they will so Mountnugent by 2                                                                                                                                                              Off
Bailieboro v Killygarry - bailieboro should win this by 5 or more                                                                                                      Right
Arva v Ballymachugh - not too sure, ballymachugh haven't played yet so Arva with a game under the belt and home advantage by 2            Wrong

ten out of 18 right - 56% getting a bit closer to my college results now!!!
Just a point, it seems given the number of close games where I got the verdict wrong by one score or a draw that there was a good few entertaining games on despite the sticky conditions... I often think it's a pity that the league games aren't staggered a bit more, would enjoy taking in a couple of league games over the wkend.  It's one of the things I love about the championship, heading to games on thursday, friday, saturday and maybe one before you play on sunday or whatever way it works out....
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on March 10, 2009, 01:30:13 PM
He seems to be an expert from what you say, I just thought we could do with a man like that in charge.

He would be very knowlegable about the game.He has been over alot of winning teams over the years both with my own club and his home club,all the way up through underage and onto Senior level. He was never involved with any County teams but he would definitely have been alot better than some selectors we would have seen involved in Cavan teams over the years.He can read a game and wouldnt freeze along the line like alot of managers but anyway,thats life.

Mr. Pain

Quote from: boojangles on March 10, 2009, 04:56:55 PM

He would be very knowlegable about the game.He has been over alot of winning teams over the years both with my own club and his home club,all the way up through underage and onto Senior level. He was never involved with any County teams but he would definitely have been alot better than some selectors we would have seen involved in Cavan teams over the years.He can read a game and wouldnt freeze along the line like alot of managers but anyway,thats life.

Hey Daddy's boy, give us a break! If he was that good he'd be considered.
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Mr. Pain on March 10, 2009, 06:39:07 PM
Quote from: boojangles on March 10, 2009, 04:56:55 PM

Hey Daddy's boy, give us a break! If he was that good he'd be considered.

What a gobshite.....

The man was asked a question and gave an answer... Do your stirring elsewhere
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010