Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Any other results from the club scene? We drew with Killeshandra today, they drew with the last kick of the ball - second week in a row. We had a man sent off with 15 mins to go and missed two great goals chances so I'm pretty disappointed. Kingscourt beat Drumgoon by 5 and Knockbride beat Shercock well too
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Keating scored 3 points.1 in the first half,2 in the second.
Eoin Smith is definitely worth a look at.Was in a few trial games with him and he is very strong and solid.I would call him a no nonsense Full-back.If he gets all injuries cleared up Im sure they will have a look.
Peter Reilly definitely came across as very vocal last night,I like this idea of him and one or 2 others in the Orange bibs sprinting across the field to give instruction or just to encourage even.It keeps lads on their toes.
We bet the Gaels by a point today.We made hard work of it,missed a penalty and a few handy goal chances but a wins a win.Im out injured at the mo and my heart still isnt right from watching on the side line.
Ballyhaise were beating Killinkere 2-9 to 1-7 with few minutes to go,it started to rain so it was time to go.
Any other results?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 08, 2009, 05:36:34 PM
Any other results from the club scene? We drew with Killeshandra today, they drew with the last kick of the ball - second week in a row. We had a man sent off with 15 mins to go and missed two great goals chances so I'm pretty disappointed. Kingscourt beat Drumgoon by 5 and Knockbride beat Shercock well too

Was watching ye again Today Celt Man. Poor game although I assume a lot of it was down to the conditions and the ref. They did level it late but then ye levelled late too. Probably a fair enough result. Some laugh the ref getting the score wrong. Just as well some of your lads questioned it or you could have been robbed off a point

put-it-up

Killygarry robbed Castlerahan 2-5 to 1-7 with a last minute goal. Scrappy game. Mackey showed well first half kicking four point but faded out!

put-it-up

Here you go boys

IMPERIAL BAR ACFL DIVISION 1             
Denn   1-8   1-11   Cavan Gaels   
Gowna   2-7   2-4   Cuchulainns   
Castlerahan   1-7   2-5   Killygarry   
Lavey   1-4   1-4   Crosserlough   
Belturbet   0-10   1-6   Mullahoran   
Ramor Utd   0-8   0-8   Redhills   
Lacken   2-4   2-8   Ballinagh   

CATHAL BRADY AUDI ACFL DIVISION 2             
Cootehill   0-8   0-8   Killeshandra   
Drumalee   0-9   0-8   Cavan Gaels   
Drumgoon   0-6   0-11   Kingscourt   
Ballyhaise   2-10   1-7   Killinkere   
Drung   0-5   1-5   Drumlane   
Shercock   0-4   2-9   Knockbride   
Kill   1-11   1-7   Crosserlough   

JOHN BRADY INSURANCES LTD ACFL DIVISION 3             
Corlough   1-5   0-11   Swanlinbar   
Bailieborough   2-4   0-2   Killygarry   
Arva   1-5   0-9   Ballymachugh   
Templeport   2-8   1-10   Shannon Gaels   

cavan4ever

Team Pld Won Draw Lost For Against Diff Points
Roscommon 3 2 0 1 44 34 10 4
Down 3 2 0 1 44 39 5 4
Tipperary 3 2 0 1 39 42 -3 4
Longford 3 1 1 1 39 38 1 3
Offaly 3 1 1 1 32 40 -8 3
Louth 3 1 0 2 45 36 9 2
Cavan 3 1 0 2 35 38 -3 2
Limerick 3 1 0 2 33 44 -11 2

mylestheslasher

Quote from: RednBlack on March 08, 2009, 11:37:14 AM
have just completed some stat analysis on last nights game. in first half we won 22% possession from breaking ball at midfield and 26% in second half. my point about their number 12 was based on the fact that from Down kick outs he was involved in either primary or secondary possession from kickouts 72% of the time he was on the field. that is why i felt McCutcheon should have pushed in tighter to him. we really need to improve this aspect of our game as Galligan and Walsh when he plays are good at breaking ball but we need someone to go and hoover it up. another interesting number is that in the second half from attacks inside the Down 45m line we converted 5 out of 11 intrusions into scores which in the conditions last night is very very good.

Myles: were you part of that poor crew down in the front of the stand who had to scramble at half time?? some shower that!!

What was everyones opinion of Mr Goldrick in the middle last night? Have the new rules gone by the wayside or are players now allowed to give one good tackle over the shoulder/around the head and only get a black book. This is the third league game I have witnessed a number of these tackles going in and no yellow yet it is stated clearly in the new rules that its a straight yellow. Just a question??

I was sitting with 6/7 brave leaguers on the entrance side of the stand. We didn't get under the cover so there was a bit of a scramble from some of the less hardy lads. I didn't scramble myself cos i'm just too hardy. I was the one with the bermuda shirt and shorts :D

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 08, 2009, 07:24:57 PM
Team Pld Won Draw Lost For Against Diff Points
Roscommon 3 2 0 1 44 34 10 4
Down 3 2 0 1 44 39 5 4
Tipperary 3 2 0 1 39 42 -3 4
Longford 3 1 1 1 39 38 1 3
Offaly 3 1 1 1 32 40 -8 3
Louth 3 1 0 2 45 36 9 2
Cavan 3 1 0 2 35 38 -3 2
Limerick 3 1 0 2 33 44 -11 2

You know, if we were to win all our remaining games we could still get promoted. This division is going to be very tight.

BallyhaiseMan

we beat Killinkere today, in horrendous conditions,
Best for us were Mark Brennan who kept James Clarke quiet,Michael Rooney at Full back, Shane Briody at wing back,
Stephen Smith at wing forward who was terrific from frees, Collie Reily at Centre Forward and Niall and Eamon Costello in the full forward line.

went down to Newry last night after telling myself all week that i wouldnt,
i thought Dermot Sheridan has a great game at full back despite a couple of worrying moments.
Best full back line that we can put out,hope they stick with it.
Ronan Flanagan i thought was very good and Johnny Crowe done fairly well also,John McCutcheon should have been let follow his man,but i wont attack Tommy Carr for trying different tactics.
Midfield,i thought Dan Gordon was very prominent in the first half until he ran out of steam, Galligan drifted in and out,hasnt put together a full great game this year yet,but he does show flashes of his undoubted ability.
Thought Martin Reily,Ray Cullivan and Cian Mackey especially were terrific,Michael Lyng and Jelly were good,disappointed in Larry, he  scored a great point, but still needs to drop some of the weight.
David Givney has a terrific pair of hands,Eugene Keating is just a terrific all round footballer,(scored 0-8 for cuchullains last week).

id imagine it will be David Givney and Ciaran Galligan at midfield next week, with Eugene Keating wing forward, perhaps Martin Reily switching into the corner and Larry losing out.
i think Rays position at IC level wil be full forward,hes such a handful with his movement and aerial ability.

There will be no Tommy Carr out calls this week  :P
i hope he makes me look like an idiot a few more times with wins like last night's, this year.  :D

mylestheslasher

I think you need to watch Galligan closely. I did last night. He contested every kickout and Down were really struggling  to get to the ball in the air before him. Clean catching was difficult in those condition. What is really impressing me is his running of the ball. When is the last time Cavan had a midfielder that ran up and down the pitch all night. He supported his men going forward and he tracked men back all night. Down could not run with him. If McCabe put in that performance for Cavan we'd all be saying how great he was. Cavan would not have won that game without Galligan. Suddenly, we have options in the middle of the park. McCabe, Galligan, Cullivan, Givney and Mulvey will all be fighting for those spots.

tierworker blue

Cheers for all the reports folks...could'nt make it north myself. Good to get a win under the belt and some improved performances...hopefully we can build on it and try to achieve some consistancy. Are we turning a corner?! Lets hope so!

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 08, 2009, 08:16:29 PM
Best for us were Mark Brennan who kept James Clarke quiet,Michael Rooney at Full back, Shane Briody at wing back,
Stephen Smith at wing forward who was terrific from frees, Collie Reily at Centre Forward and Niall and Eamon Costello in the full forward line.

i thought Dermot Sheridan has a great game at full back despite a couple of worrying moments.
Ronan Flanagan i thought was very good and Johnny Crowe done fairly well also,John McCutcheon should have been let follow his man,but i wont attack Tommy Carr for trying different tactics.
Midfield,i thought Dan Gordon was very prominent in the first half until he ran out of steam, Galligan drifted in and out,hasnt put together a full great game this year yet,but he does show flashes of his undoubted ability.
Thought Martin Reily,Ray Cullivan and Cian Mackey especially were terrific,Michael Lyng and Jelly were good,disappointed in Larry, he  scored a great point, but still needs to drop some of the weight.
David Givney has a terrific pair of hands,Eugene Keating is just a terrific all round footballer,(scored 0-8 for cuchullains last week).

id imagine it will be David Givney and Ciaran Galligan at midfield next week, with Eugene Keating wing forward, perhaps Martin Reily switching into the corner and Larry losing out.
i think Rays position at IC level wil be full forward,hes such a handful with his movement and aerial ability.

i hope he makes me look like an idiot a few more times with wins like last night's, this year.  :D

speaking of cullivan, I presume he is still with ye. was he involved today or this year yet?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Drung

QuoteI think Galligan was on but he kept drifitng in and out of vision

Were Mulvey and McKeever there?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 08, 2009, 09:35:08 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 08, 2009, 08:16:29 PM

speaking of cullivan, I presume he is still with ye. was he involved today or this year yet?

He hasnt been involved this year yet,IF he is still with us Celt Man. Your guess is as good as mine.

cavanmaniac

JUst catching up with these momentous events now, suffice to say I'm a happy maniac. All we need now is for Max to come in and tell us he backed Cavan to beat Down the day after we lost to Tipp, and then my weekend will be complete ;D

Expected a big response from our lads but was still surprised that we actually won. Delighted actually. What impresses me most is that we now seem to have a lot of options for various positions and although the full back line still isn't watertight, we at least look like a team with proper and intelligent input from the sideline, and with grit and fire and pride and all those good things we haven't seen much of for a long time. It's a good score for TC after he stuck his neck out last week and backed us to win the game, I hope now that he has the full panel under his thumb for the first time we can really get a measure of what he will be able to do.

I just hope this wasn't a one-off repsonse to the criticism after Tipp, we have to perform in every game with that level of commitment and graft and can't bask in this overlong and then revert to type when there's no big point to prove. From a hopeless position after two games, this win is a huge boost and with Louth having pissed on their chips against Offaly we have a right chance of promotion now if we can maintain this level of performance. All teams in the division can still retain realistic hopes of finishing in the top two as just two points separates first from last, it's a fair dogfight now for sure!