Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

How can a town the size of cootehill struggle to field a minor team?

Celt_Man

Ha I knew that one was coming.... Because it's not that big of a town, with a very small catchment area.  For example, less than a mile from the pitch (which is the center of town) you have people playing from rockcorry and latton, kill, drumgoon and drung.  This years minor team at under 14 level four years ago only had 18 players two of which were girls.  Sure look at Fannin, he lives in the main estate in the tow but yet he plays for drumgoon. 
And as well as one of our minor players transferred to Kill this year too and another player U16 transferred to Drumgoon.
The numbers in the national school aren't as big as they were when I was at school there either.  When I was in 6th class, there was 35 in the class now I think the average is 16/17 so that doesn't help either.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Drung on February 25, 2009, 11:28:23 AM
QuoteSorry Drung,i have to say i disagree, Coulter scored both goals on Gunner that day,i remember it well

You obviously don't remember it that well because Coulter only scored one goal that day...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cavan-smash-and-grab-669705.html

Embarrassing.

What else do you remember well, as a matter of interest??!

Yes im very embarrassed indeed, i should remember every single detail from every match that ive been to since i was 6 or 7,averaging about 5 league games and every championship game every year. Grow up Drung  :D

"Michael Hannon provided the solution. Coulter was far less accurate and dangerous once he was switched onto him after 21 minutes and, under pressure, shot three wides in the second half." Nice quote there, Seems like Hannon didnt do such a bad job.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 25, 2009, 12:09:19 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on February 25, 2009, 11:51:14 AM
Any truth in what I heard about a bit of trouble at your Minor game at the weekend Celt_Man a few red cards and game blown up early?

Yea unfortunately it's true and even more that I wasn't at it... Oh the trouble we have had getting a minor team this year, first of all we really do only have 13 or 14 players and the county board - in all their wisdom - put us in division 2 so we had to fight to get out of that and into division 4 where we have been hammered in both games so far. 
I heard that there was a nasty enough undercurrent to the whole game, it was the second half and we were getting well beaten, think we had 4 points, ballymachugh maybe 3 -9 or something like that. One of our players was through on goal but got taken out with a two footed lunge from behind!!! so our boy pushed the guy that tackled him and then some other ballymachugh boy came in and punched our player and away yer go.... I think 5 saw red, 2 cootehill and 3 of their boys, one of our lads had to get stitches in his face where he was opened - one of their boys seemingly was wearing a ring.... I am told the ref wanted to start the game again but another fight broke out beside him and he had enough and lifted the ball... so overall it's a bit of clusterf**k

i think any of us who have played Ballymachugh before,would know they arent  the most civilised individuals that ever stepped onto a football field.
Worst supporters for abuse i ever came across at underage level.

descartes

QuoteSorry Drung,i have to say i disagree, Coulter scored both goals on Gunner that day,i remember it well

QuoteYou obviously don't remember it that well because Coulter only scored one goal that day...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cavan-smash-and-grab-669705.html

Embarrassing.

What else do you remember well, as a matter of interest??!

Coulter scored one goal on Brady, set up another goal a few minutes later, and had set up a goal chance a few seconds earlier that was badly missed by daniel hughes... this all in the first 2o mins or so

heres a quote from that article

QuoteCavan were guiltier of even wilder shooting from further out, with 9 to 6 wides by the break, but their big worry was one which has bamboozled many a team: how to stop the brilliant Coulter?

Michael Hannon provided the solution. Coulter was far less accurate and dangerous once he was switched onto him after 21 minutes and, under pressure, shot three wides in the second half.

and here are the cavan players ratings from that same article

CAVAN -  J Reilly 7; P Brady 5. E O'Reilly 6, M Cahill 6; M Hannon 8, A Ford 6, R Flanagan 6; D McCabe 9, L Mulvey 5; R Cullivan 6, M McKeever 6, L Reilly 7; J O'Reilly 6, G Pierson 8, S Johnston 7.  Subs: M Lyng 8 for Cullivan (42 mins), C Mackey 7 for Johnston (50), N Walsh 6 for Mulvey (55), S Brady 7 for Pierson ( 61), J Crowe 7 for Brady (63).

so according to the paper he was, along with lyng who was a second half substitute and pierson, cavans best player after dermot mcCabe that day.

you obviously dont like the guy celt_man. is this a cootehill v drumgoon tribal thing? Steven McDonnell is armagh free taker, he takes the frees regardless of who gets fouled, so now you're blaming him for all the fouls that get committed? i always thought that was one of hannons best attributes, that he doesnt give up frees...

and in light of what i've found out about how he's been playing injured for the last 2-3 years requiring a couple of operations to fix the problem i only have more respect for the man.

you still never came up with an alternaitve Celt_Man???

Cavan have to play sheridan full back, and give him 4-5 games to get comfortable in there, hannon beside him when he's fit and recovered, and then depending on the opposition Either brides or Dunne will slot in.

Celt_Man

Quote from: descartes on February 25, 2009, 04:43:01 PM

so according to the paper he was, along with lyng who was a second half substitute and pierson, cavans best player after dermot mcCabe that day.

you obviously dont like the guy celt_man. is this a cootehill v drumgoon tribal thing? Steven McDonnell is armagh free taker, he takes the frees regardless of who gets fouled, so now you're blaming him for all the fouls that get committed? i always thought that was one of hannons best attributes, that he doesnt give up frees...

and in light of what i've found out about how he's been playing injured for the last 2-3 years requiring a couple of operations to fix the problem i only have more respect for the man.

you still never came up with an alternaitve Celt_Man???

Cavan have to play sheridan full back, and give him 4-5 games to get comfortable in there, hannon beside him when he's fit and recovered, and then depending on the opposition Either brides or Dunne will slot in.

Ahh here, go handy, that's a bit of a leap... I said I don't know where it keeps coming that he is our best man marker and you reckon I don't like him... I never even said that he shouldn't be on the team, it's just I hate this business of AN other (anyone not specifically Hannon) has the name of being our best forward or best defender or "I remember one day he played and he was unstoppable" etc etc - basically giving someone a tag and then regardless of how he plays after that, he has this tag and thats what everyone refers to.

Then you reckon I'm blaming him for McDonnell putting over frees, again a bit of a stretch... I never mentioned anything of the sort. I remember the Armagh game very well last year and Hannon didn;t do very well on him at all for several reasons among them his groin problem definitely hampered him as well as recovering from being sick or a head injury or something like that plus the fact that Armagh had a unbelievable amount of possession in the middle of the field so the pressure was almost relentless.

It has nothing to do with a Cootehill Drumgoon thing, I always thought Fannin had a very rough ride last year, couldn't understand why he was being left out in the cold and I would even say that I think Fannin is a better corner back than Hannon. Always remember he did a great job on Peter C in the drawn Tyrone game a couple of years ago but like I said earlier his performance then shouldn't get him a place on the team now

the salmon of knowledge

ok C4E point taken and cant possibly disagree with you, i was at the 2 league matches so far this year, as always should i mention, unless they are miles away, eg waterford. i dont know what club your from so dont know who was shouting what... i know alot of those lads would not be at league games if not for givney.
does not matter though, nobody goes out with a blue shirt on without aiming to give it his all. personal insults are terrible and have no place in football. Read the other GAA website, and any county player would hand back the jersey, with the abuse personally directed at them.
but to be honest C4E, stand beside a bunch of lads from any club in the county, and you will be able to associate them with that sort of stuff, a very fickle crowd the cavan supporters

cavan4ever

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on February 25, 2009, 05:30:58 PM
ok C4E point taken and cant possibly disagree with you, i was at the 2 league matches so far this year, as always should i mention, unless they are miles away, eg waterford. i dont know what club your from so dont know who was shouting what... i know alot of those lads would not be at league games if not for givney.
does not matter though, nobody goes out with a blue shirt on without aiming to give it his all. personal insults are terrible and have no place in football. Read the other GAA website, and any county player would hand back the jersey, with the abuse personally directed at them.
but to be honest C4E, stand beside a bunch of lads from any club in the county, and you will be able to associate them with that sort of stuff, a very fickle crowd the cavan supporters

I think the abuse had as much to do with where is was from than anything else.

the salmon of knowledge

i find that mulvey and especially Walsh get a hard time from some groups of so called fans... behind me in longford a certain group of players from a div 2 club gave walsh an awful doing, including telling one of Carrs staff to take that fat f$%*er out of the middle of the field...
dont think you can fall out with a parish over a few sunshine supporters, myself and the two guys i travel to all games with will not be heard, no matter how the game goes...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on February 25, 2009, 10:49:12 PM
i find that mulvey and especially Walsh get a hard time from some groups of so called fans... behind me in longford a certain group of players from a div 2 club gave walsh an awful doing, including telling one of Carrs staff to take that fat f$%*er out of the middle of the field...
dont think you can fall out with a parish over a few sunshine supporters, myself and the two guys i travel to all games with will not be heard, no matter how the game goes...

You can bet though that the same lads wouldnt call Nicholas Walsh a fat f**ker to his face though, they would shit themselves.
i always go by the opinion that either on here or at a game, you shouldnt say anything about a player that you wouldnt say to his face.
Theres no problem with criticising a players performance,but that type of personalised crap is out of order.

descartes

ok Celt_Man, fair enough, i was just making reference to this point

QuoteAnd again... A quick trawl online shows that McDonnell scored (0-6, 0-2 frees), 0-1 "45" in that game. 0-3 from play and conceding a couple of frees is poor enough in my opinion.

dont remember him conceding those frees.

i wouldn't be a prolific poster on this board, more an avid reader but when i see something i disagree with i'll throw my hat into the ring. I'd be a big cavan supporter, haven't missed a league or championship game since 2004, which includes 2 trips to waterford (05 & 07) where there were less than 30 of us down there, and 2 trips to tipperary whose pitch in ardfinnan i swear is actually further away from cavan than waterfords, so i feel like i can talk confidently on form displayed by various cavan players over the last half decade anyway...

agreed on the fannin thing, dont think he got a fair deal from keoghan, think it all stems from the time he conceded 4 pts from play against mattie forde inside the first 20 mins in a league match in breffni parkr, heard afterwards that keoghan never really gave him a fair chance after that. (incidentally i remember him being replaced by hannon after 25 minutes or so, who kept forde completely out of the game thereafter.)

on a differetn subject walsh takes abuse he definitely doesnt deserve, always feel he's underapreciated, might not be the most technically gifted footballer int he world, but has great athleticism, can nullify an opponent, and can think his way around a pitch, hope time proves me right on that last assertion  ;)

Drung

QuoteThe numbers in the national school aren't as big as they were when I was at school there either.  When I was in 6th class, there was 35 in the class now I think the average is 16/17 so that doesn't help either.

That doesn't hold water in my opinion.
Lots of rural clubs in the county would struggle to have nine or ten in a class in their local school.
The problem with Cootehill seems to be deeper than that. It would be a huge boost for the county if Cootehill could get a decent set-up and start contributing players to various county teams.
Bailieborough, Ramor and Kingscourt are on the way back, time for Cootehill and Belturbet (to a lesser extent) to step.

jimjim

You can bet though that the same lads wouldnt call Nicholas Walsh a fat f**ker to his face though, they would shit themselves.
i always go by the opinion that either on here or at a game, you shouldnt say anything about a player that you wouldnt say to his face.
Theres no problem with criticising a players performance,but that type of personalised crap is out of order.
[/quote]

Hello all, have been viewing the board in recent times and its good to see that there is people that can talk sense about football instead of that bull on hoganstand. At least ye all seem to know what ye are talking about.

Tis a disgrace the amount of bloody eejits that attend games, you will hear them criticise all day long but never appreciate them when its due.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Drung on February 26, 2009, 01:30:41 AM
QuoteThe numbers in the national school aren't as big as they were when I was at school there either.  When I was in 6th class, there was 35 in the class now I think the average is 16/17 so that doesn't help either.

That doesn't hold water in my opinion.
Lots of rural clubs in the county would struggle to have nine or ten in a class in their local school.
The problem with Cootehill seems to be deeper than that. It would be a huge boost for the county if Cootehill could get a decent set-up and start contributing players to various county teams.
Bailieborough, Ramor and Kingscourt are on the way back, time for Cootehill and Belturbet (to a lesser extent) to step.

I know lots of rural clubs struggle to have nine or ten but I can only talk about what I know is happening in Cootehill.  That isn't the main reason but any club would suffer if their playing pool dropped by 50% in 5 years or so.

Truthfully we have always struggled with numbers and a lot of the time we seem to perform and paper over the cracks. For example, a couple of years ago we had a U16 team in a div 2 semi final against ballyhaise actually, it was 15 a side but we only had 17 so we were struggling the whole year to field a team.  But we had two players on that team who were playing senior football at the same time (basically they were exceptional footballers for their age) who carried the team that far.  So an outsider could look in and say jaysus they were in a div 2 semi final cootehill must be flying but in reality that team should have been playing 13 a side at a lower division.

Anyway enough about that, BHM whats the story with Cullivan? Is he back? Is he gone? Is he in limbo?

And welcome to the board jimjim, that hoganstand wrecks my head, the whole thing of starting a thread and creating 10 other usernames so I can agree with myself really bugs me...

whats my name

cavan4ever you should stop criticising other clubs when your on club is just as bad we witnessed dogs abuse towards the munterconnught players from a certain county members mother from drung at the munterconnught game last year which was uncalled for and you don't hear us complaining it happens in football !!!!!