Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Drung on February 24, 2009, 01:55:21 PM
QuoteCoulter scored 2 goals on Paul Brady the next year in Breffini when we were under Keoghan/Grimley, Michael Hannon switched over onto him and kept him quiet,

Your memory is playing tricks BallyhaiseMan.
Coulter scored one goal on Brady, who was then switched to the wing, and he got another and a couple of points on Hannon...

QuoteHe also done a good job on StevieMac last year against Armagh

And again... A quick trawl online shows that McDonnell scored (0-6, 0-2 frees), 0-1 "45" in that game. 0-3 from play and conceding a couple of frees is poor enough in my opinion.

QuoteHannon also kept him quiet in the replay in Newry where Coulter had next to no impact.

You're right there!

Sorry Drung,i have to say i disagree, Coulter scored both goals on Gunner that day,i remember it well because i thought beforehand,Gunner would be well fit to compete with Coulter in the air,but he was taken to the cleaners.
Hannon then switched in on him, and while Coulter did see alot less ball after that, Hannon stuck a lot tighter.
He did of course take Coulter completely out of the game in the replay.

as for the Armagh match, its hard to blame any backs for conceding frees and scores from play
when Paul McGrane and KieranToner won about 65% of the ball at midfield,
Hannon done as good a job on McDonnell as anyone considering the circumstances.

I think hes the best man marker we have, with Dermot Sheridan the next best.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 24, 2009, 02:27:55 PM
Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on February 24, 2009, 02:11:46 PM
you seem to know your ball pretty well C4E so i will overlook the snipe at mountnugent, cause as you say, it has nothing to do with givney waering a blue shirt.
i am not just standing up for him cause he is a club man, but in all fairness when the lad wins one of those big high balls, surley the inside forwards should be queing to take the ball off him, but against longford and tipp there was nobody there... nobody can deny this surely!!! eddie was the only lad who looked to play off him and they took him off wrongly in both games, in my opinion, seeing also that he was the only one really trying to hassle the backs coming out with the ball!!
in the games leading up to the league, gumley was working well with givney but things have turned out unfortunately for him.
but as for the statement about givney not having mastered the basics... well, if he can score 7-17 in a championship run without the basics, cant wait to see him when he does

Ive only got my disliking for Mountnugent from the weekend.

I am just going on from what i have seen from him in a Blue Jersey.  Yes he scored 7-17 or 10-27 in the junior championship and that was a great achievement.  How many other counties in ulster would he get playing for at number 14, a good full forward shouldnt need players running off them they should be fit to beat their man and get some of their own scores.

I don't agree with what you say there really and it is also a trait that you see throughout the county clubs and county senior panel. The days of giving the ball to a man and waiting for him to best his man and score are long gone. Todays game is about the FF line playing as a unit, making space for each other, running off each other and taking the ball at speed from each other. Cavan are chronic at this and have been for years. Was at the Longford game and Givney won lots of ball in dangerous positions, turned looking to lay it off and there was no one coming anyhwere near him. He even managed to hold the ball up a bit and still no support arrived. Eventually he lost the ball or got pulled for a foul. I would say 80% of the time that was the fault of his fellow forwards or management tactics, the other 20% were his mistakes mostly down to a little lack of sharpness and lack of experience. I think he is only 19 and I expect to see him do well for Cavan in the future.

cavan4ever

Ronan Clarke and Sean Cavanagh dont wait to be done for over carrying waiting to pass to someone when they get the ball.

mylestheslasher

2 perfect examples. Both make way more scores than they take themselves. Armagh especially are masters of the FF line working as a unit. You don't think you are being a bit harsh critising a 19 year old, used to playing jnr football in his first season as an inter county player? We can't have it both ways in demanding new players are tried and then bemoaning the fact that they are not good enough. We have no choice but to work with these lads and try and bring them along.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 24, 2009, 08:37:47 PM
2 perfect examples. Both make way more scores than they take themselves. Armagh especially are masters of the FF line working as a unit. You don't think you are being a bit harsh critising a 19 year old, used to playing jnr football in his first season as an inter county player? We can't have it both ways in demanding new players are tried and then bemoaning the fact that they are not good enough. We have no choice but to work with these lads and try and bring them along.

Thats the problem he is to used to having all day on the ball playing junior football.  Yes i may be harsh but its my opinion and i hope he proves me wrong.

anglocelt39

Delighted to see this Givney lad get a chance-bit of size, ability to catch a ball allied to some scoring power isn't something we seem to have a lot of in the county this few years. We must allow him, surely, 2 or three years to realise his potential given that he's 19 years old and playing junior football at the moment. He may not even make it onto the championship team but a prolonged run in the league might bring him on a lot. Remember Pierce McKenna-we took him out of junior football and he looked that for 2/3 years, we persisted with him and he didn't work out too bad at all. It took Anthony Forde one heck of a long time to settle into a defensive role on the County Seniors (he got there in the end although I think he would have been a really top class half forward in a county that wasn't so desperately stuck, or so it seemed) for defenders. Looking at the small ball code, Dan Shanahan would never have made it to year 3 for Waterford if certain supporters had their way, by year 10 he was hurler of the year.

Keogan got absolutely lambasted, and quite rightly, for giving lads a "chance" and then dispensing with them after 20 or 30 minutes, hope we can learn from that. A final thought on the topic, we've given Ger Pierson a fair few chances over the past 6 years, hopefully this is the year he shows what he can do.

What was the story about Jelly in today's indo, denying he had quit the county panel, hopefully nothing more than a bit of a blow out after what was a disappointing week at colleges level.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

the salmon of knowledge

please fill us in on why mountnugent has you in a tizzy since the weekend C4E??

BallyhaiseMan

C4ever were you fighting some mountain men from mountnugent at the weekend? :P Tough shower up that part of the country  ;D  ;)

cavan4ever

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on February 25, 2009, 12:48:23 AM
please fill us in on why mountnugent has you in a tizzy since the weekend C4E??
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 25, 2009, 02:21:43 AM
C4ever were you fighting some mountain men from mountnugent at the weekend? :P Tough shower up that part of the country  ;D  ;)

I heard the abuse that some of them were dishing out to one of my fellow clubmen at the Tipperary game, i'd say alot of them were never at County game before until this year.

mylestheslasher

Theres nothing worse than going to a match and having to listen to imbeciles roaring garbage beside you. I expect they were demanding that our players stop "pricking around with the ball" i.e. Handpass and "Let it in the fu*k", code for drive the ball as high and long as possible in the general direction of the goal.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 25, 2009, 10:19:22 AM
Theres nothing worse than going to a match and having to listen to imbeciles roaring garbage beside you. I expect they were demanding that our players stop "pricking around with the ball" i.e. Handpass and "Let it in the f**k", code for drive the ball as high and long as possible in the general direction of the goal.

No it was nothing like that.

Who all is going to Newry on Saturday evening?

Drung

QuoteSorry Drung,i have to say i disagree, Coulter scored both goals on Gunner that day,i remember it well

You obviously don't remember it that well because Coulter only scored one goal that day...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cavan-smash-and-grab-669705.html

Embarrassing.

What else do you remember well, as a matter of interest??!

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 25, 2009, 10:25:50 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 25, 2009, 10:19:22 AM
Theres nothing worse than going to a match and having to listen to imbeciles roaring garbage beside you. I expect they were demanding that our players stop "pricking around with the ball" i.e. Handpass and "Let it in the f**k", code for drive the ball as high and long as possible in the general direction of the goal.

No it was nothing like that.

Who all is going to Newry on Saturday evening?

No one I hope, it's not till the following Saturday night the 7th March.
I would hazard a guess at what they were roaring at Galligan was it?  I don;t mind people giving out about the play, "ah he shouldn't have passed it etc" but I don't understand why they have to get personal.  I have gotten into more than one "exchange of views" with other cavan "fans" when they said stuff that cut particularly close to the bone, and it wasn't about any of my clubmen either.  
Having said all that I wouldn't hold it against the club that person was from, after all there's gobshites in every club. Yes even my own, look at the minor board chairman ;)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

Any truth in what I heard about a bit of trouble at your Minor game at the weekend Celt_Man a few red cards and game blown up early?

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 25, 2009, 11:51:14 AM
Any truth in what I heard about a bit of trouble at your Minor game at the weekend Celt_Man a few red cards and game blown up early?

Yea unfortunately it's true and even more that I wasn't at it... Oh the trouble we have had getting a minor team this year, first of all we really do only have 13 or 14 players and the county board - in all their wisdom - put us in division 2 so we had to fight to get out of that and into division 4 where we have been hammered in both games so far. 
I heard that there was a nasty enough undercurrent to the whole game, it was the second half and we were getting well beaten, think we had 4 points, ballymachugh maybe 3 -9 or something like that. One of our players was through on goal but got taken out with a two footed lunge from behind!!! so our boy pushed the guy that tackled him and then some other ballymachugh boy came in and punched our player and away yer go.... I think 5 saw red, 2 cootehill and 3 of their boys, one of our lads had to get stitches in his face where he was opened - one of their boys seemingly was wearing a ring.... I am told the ref wanted to start the game again but another fight broke out beside him and he had enough and lifted the ball... so overall it's a bit of clusterf**k
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010