Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the salmon of knowledge

put it up, dunno where you get ur info, but sheridan could not have linked up well with givney, seeing as givney was playing for mountnugent at the weekend :P

cavan4ever

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on February 23, 2009, 06:57:24 PM
put it up, dunno where you get ur info, but sheridan could not have linked up well with givney, seeing as givney was playing for mountnugent at the weekend :P

All weekend? 

He must be tired and Sheridan was marking him.

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on February 24, 2009, 08:05:28 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on February 23, 2009, 07:14:01 PM
Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on February 23, 2009, 06:57:24 PM

All weekend? 

He must be tired and Sheridan was marking him.

Spot on Cavan4ever. Givney was out performed by Sheridan. The young lad has potential but needs a lot of work done. Was told Walsh did well at FF bagging 3 goals. No sign of Seanie. Heard he had a spot of bother in Dublin last week after the DCU game. Dermot McCabe back at midfield.

I reckon it would be hard to coach the basics of the game to 19/20 year old. 

Drung

Do you think Givney hasn't mastered the basics, like catching and kicking?
I think he has unreal hands and he kicked some amazing scores in the Junior Championship last year.
We would be glad of him C4E, would you not agree? Him and O'Rourke in the full forward line...!

cavan4ever

From what im seen of him for Cavan this year all he can do is catch. 

He can't pass and he took some wild shots against Longford and there still looking for the balls, he isnt winning balls in front of him that he should be. 

I only seen him once last year in the Junior Final  and he fielded some lovely ball and kicked some good scores but he still lost out on a lot of ball he should have being winning. 

The above rant has nothing to do with the fact i hate Mountnugent.

Drung

I think he scored something crazy like 8-21 in the Junior last year.
Must have headed the goals and fisted the points so.
He kicked two massive points in the second half of the junior final, did you miss them?

cavan4ever

Quote from: Drung on February 24, 2009, 12:23:09 PM
He kicked two massive points in the second half of the junior final, did you miss them?

Against poor teams i dont want to be putting the lad down he is a good Junior footballer but i dont think he would cut it at a higher level his reactions are very slow.

I hope he proves me wrong in the blue of Cavan but cant see it happening.

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 24, 2009, 11:48:13 AM
From what im seen of him for Cavan this year all he can do is catch. 

He can't pass and he took some wild shots against Longford and there still looking for the balls, he isnt winning balls in front of him that he should be. 

I only seen him once last year in the Junior Final  and he fielded some lovely ball and kicked some good scores but he still lost out on a lot of ball he should have being winning. 

The above rant has nothing to do with the fact i hate Mountnugent.

Givney has potential but in fairness to any full forward in the land, you always limit the damage he can do when both corner forwards don't stand within an asses roar of him.

Anyone hear the latest about the County junior team? Apparently it is up and running, it seems that Tierney, Anton and Ronan Reilly have kinda been pushed over to that without any word for the senior management.  Heard that one lad appeared for training in dublin to find out it was cancelled and then came down on Friday night to find out training had been on the night before. Talk about being cut out of the loop.  If that happen in the club, there would be an uproar and rightly so.  It starting to reel of a bit of a shambles but in fairness that could be an isolated incident (which happened twice!!!) so I won't break down in despair just yet..

Heard a few names mentioned for the juniors -  Tierney, Anton, Ronan Reilly, darren smith and sean maguire from lavey, ted smith, donal thomas and padraig cahill from killygarry, declan gaffney.
I think they pretty much have games for the next couple of weeks where possible with Louth in the Leinster Junior championship in 4 or 5 weeks, Terry Hyland is over them it seems so sounds like it is being run right, unlike the senior set up, remember with a bit of luck Cavan could have beaten Dublin last year.  A dublin side that went on to win the All-Ireland
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

They beat the Gaels in a challenge game on Saturday.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 24, 2009, 12:42:42 PM
Quote from: Drung on February 24, 2009, 12:23:09 PM

Against poor teams i dont want to be putting the lad down he is a good Junior footballer but i dont think he would cut it at a higher level his reactions are very slow.

I hope he proves me wrong in the blue of Cavan but cant see it happening.
Lads, I'm all for developing the game at inter-county level but does anyone think that again the clubs are likely to lose out? We have the usual number of league games where the senior county players aren't available. We're used to that. But with the leagues starting up this weekend I'm now hearing that we have a panel for the Cavan Junior team. I'm not sure about Sigerson but I know there are Trench Cup games on this weekend which will deprive clubs of players. And to top it off I've spoken to someone who is playing football for their employer in the All-Ireland inter-firms tournament.
We hear all about burn-out, too many games etc. and here we have limited companies travelling the country to play games.
Any views?

Drung

QuoteCoulter scored 2 goals on Paul Brady the next year in Breffini when we were under Keoghan/Grimley, Michael Hannon switched over onto him and kept him quiet,

Your memory is playing tricks BallyhaiseMan.
Coulter scored one goal on Brady, who was then switched to the wing, and he got another and a couple of points on Hannon...

QuoteHe also done a good job on StevieMac last year against Armagh

And again... A quick trawl online shows that McDonnell scored (0-6, 0-2 frees), 0-1 "45" in that game. 0-3 from play and conceding a couple of frees is poor enough in my opinion.

QuoteHannon also kept him quiet in the replay in Newry where Coulter had next to no impact.

You're right there!

the salmon of knowledge

you seem to know your ball pretty well C4E so i will overlook the snipe at mountnugent, cause as you say, it has nothing to do with givney waering a blue shirt.
i am not just standing up for him cause he is a club man, but in all fairness when the lad wins one of those big high balls, surley the inside forwards should be queing to take the ball off him, but against longford and tipp there was nobody there... nobody can deny this surely!!! eddie was the only lad who looked to play off him and they took him off wrongly in both games, in my opinion, seeing also that he was the only one really trying to hassle the backs coming out with the ball!!
in the games leading up to the league, gumley was working well with givney but things have turned out unfortunately for him.
but as for the statement about givney not having mastered the basics... well, if he can score 7-17 in a championship run without the basics, cant wait to see him when he does

cavan4ever

Quote from: the salmon of knowledge on February 24, 2009, 02:11:46 PM
you seem to know your ball pretty well C4E so i will overlook the snipe at mountnugent, cause as you say, it has nothing to do with givney waering a blue shirt.
i am not just standing up for him cause he is a club man, but in all fairness when the lad wins one of those big high balls, surley the inside forwards should be queing to take the ball off him, but against longford and tipp there was nobody there... nobody can deny this surely!!! eddie was the only lad who looked to play off him and they took him off wrongly in both games, in my opinion, seeing also that he was the only one really trying to hassle the backs coming out with the ball!!
in the games leading up to the league, gumley was working well with givney but things have turned out unfortunately for him.
but as for the statement about givney not having mastered the basics... well, if he can score 7-17 in a championship run without the basics, cant wait to see him when he does

Ive only got my disliking for Mountnugent from the weekend.

I am just going on from what i have seen from him in a Blue Jersey.  Yes he scored 7-17 or 10-27 in the junior championship and that was a great achievement.  How many other counties in ulster would he get playing for at number 14, a good full forward shouldnt need players running off them they should be fit to beat their man and get some of their own scores.

Celt_Man

Yea in fairness I think it was a wee bit over the top to say Givney hasn't mastered the basics... I think the best word to describe him is raw and I mean that in a good way.  Like anything raw, he will be what you make of him.  He is a big man and that already puts defenders on edge and in fairness at the Longford he won a handful of balls cleanly while the longford full back to my memory never one clean at all - I'm disregarding the few that the FB outpaced him for, anyone can see Givney isn't the quickest so the solution is don't give him a ball where he has to rely on speed.  Bascially what I'm saying is going by the Longford game (wasn't at Tipp game) Givney will guarntee you some clean ball and a fair few breaks around the square so it's up to the corner forwards and to a lesser extend wing forwards to get in and get those breaks like their life depending on it (i.e. showing a bit of hunger)

Quote from: RednBlack on February 24, 2009, 08:05:28 AM
No sign of Seanie. Heard he had a spot of bother in Dublin last week after the DCU game.

What does that mean??

By the by, were anyone of you at the coaching conference on Saturday in the Kilmore?  I thought it was a interesting enough day, some of the presentations were more relevant than others but I took a lot from it all the same
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

whats my name

i think celt man is right with what he said how many balls did givney break in the tipperary game and no one was around to make use of the breaking ball he is a very good player and its going to take time to get used to the inter-county senior game but he definitly has a future in the cavan jersey and tommy carr said in the post or maybe the celt that givney was a huge asset at full forward and that he was a star in the making!!!! he would be better then mc cabe in there hes far more agile and he doesnt look like he has a 40ft trailer attached to him when he is trying 2 turn!!!!!