Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Cheers for the report. I'm in two minds as to how I feel about losing this. On one hand you'd like the lads to keep winning all the time but then again we've won this competition numerous times in recent years and it's never done us any good once the real stuff starts in championship. Nobody will remember the Hastings Cup if we do well in championship.

I wouldn't be familiar with the players that aren't on the senior panel but I would say your comments on Mackey are well founded. He's a bit of a one-trick pony IMO, flits in and out of games and needs the ball handed to him because he's not the type to fight for a dirty ball. He's becoming a bit of a luxury player. His club mate Flanagan looks the far classier act, the real deal and in a few years will be an important player for Cavan if he stays injury free.

I'd say Podge will come good too, I also rate this lad highly.

When is the Monaghan game?

The Bottom Brick

Can anyone name the team which started the Under 21 match, no programmes left when I got there...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavan4ever

Any clubs have challenge games at weekend?? 

mylestheslasher

Killeshandra had a challenge against the bridge, scheduled for 3 thirds of 25 minutes each. I hear it go abandoned in the 2nd third after a big fist fight couldn't be stopped.

Was Cullivan not playing at all for the U21's? I thought we'd win that but it doesn't really matter.

Mackey has made some decent sub showings for the seniors this year. Do you think maybe the fact that it is U21 means he is trying too hard as he see himself as one of the senior players on the team. Or is he just not up to it??

cavan4ever

Im not sure about mackey either.  He is light and needs to bulk up alot but then he could lose some of his pace which is all he really has going for him. 

BallyhaiseMan

C4Ever

i got the impression from watching Mackey against Wicklow and Tyrone in the Mckenna that he has bulked up a fair bit over the last year,

Handball Ace with his James Clarke comparison is correct.
Blistering pace can make you stand out at County Minor level where some of your opposition may not be as physically developed as you are,
But at County Senior Level,You need alot more attributes than just pace,because every defender is fast enough to stay with you.
Raymond Galligan is a good player,wouldnt be suprised to see him start alongside McDonald at Centrefield against Monaghan.
wasnt at the under 21 game so like Brick,i wouldnt mind seeing the team that started, if anyone has the time  :)

cavan4ever

But is he strong enough for inter county football??   

BallyhaiseMan

Strong enough Yes in my opinion
Good enough, i have my doubts,Despite his great speed,Hes not like a young Larry Reily who could twist and turn a defender inside out.

cavan4ever

In my opinion he is not strong enough and he wont go for the 50-50 balls.

BallyhaiseMan

To tell you the truth though, im always dubious about these pre season games concerning the amount and what type of training the players were doing during the week,
The Under 21's could have had a hard session the night before(they do train on Friday Nights i believe)
and Mackey amongst others could have been sluggish after it.

cavan4ever

Yeah well summer football prob suits him better anyway...

It's tipp this weekend anyway anyone know if there is a game the week after or what dates the remaining league games are?

Handball Ace

1 Delaney - spent the game roaring like an ass, then got lobbed. Cant make Kilinkere juniors apparently

2 Slowey
3 Podge
4 Madden

5 Jordan
6 Sheridan
7 McCormack

8 McDonald
9 Cunningham

10 Anton reilly
11 Martin reilly
12 Mackey

13 Lynch
14 Flanagan
15 Galligan

Ronan Fla should have been shot for passing to Mackey when he was one on one, Mackey shot be shot for calling it

cavan4ever

Quote from: Handball Ace on February 19, 2007, 04:08:42 PM
1 Delaney - spent the game roaring like an ass, then got lobbed. Cant make Kilinkere juniors apparently

:D :D :D

trim blue

What was the score in the U 21 match lads?
ah sure tog out anyway

Homer

Quote from: trim blue on February 19, 2007, 06:12:58 PM
What was the score in the U 21 match lads?

Not sure think it was 1-10 to 0-11, but they lost by two anyway.

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 19, 2007, 10:58:26 AM
When is the Monaghan game?

Paddys Day :-[ at 12 in Clones

Quote from: Handball Ace on February 18, 2007, 09:19:16 PM
We may forget about Mackey, he's the exact same as James Clarke was a couple of years ago. You can get away with scorching pace at minor level but when he makes the step up, the lad won't count. Stay on his inside and 4 times out of 5 he'll either solo round in circles and get smothered, overcarry, or kick the ball wide or straight up in the air

Cheers for the report Ace, but the same was said about Jelly after he made his debut on to the county scene and look at him now (I know he is in bad form at the moment, but come Championship he will still be our most dangerous forward), Mackey will be a match winner for Cavan yet.

Had to go away on Saturday myself and missed the match but good to see there was a strong contingent from the board present.