Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 20, 2009, 03:12:54 PM
Quote from: Thastheball on February 20, 2009, 02:28:15 PM
I'm saying that their roles were messed up. A coach who was the manager and a manager who was the coach. Only in Cavan, imagine having two of the best in Ulster at their respectives jobs and our county board messes it up. where else would it happen

Tragic when you put it that way all right. Kind of obvious question though, given that they are two of the best in the game in their proper roles, did they ever think of just putting their heads togehter and both doing what they were best at, regardless of the job title?

You would have thought that. two men of their calibre and experience, you would think that they would have said, irrespective opf our job titles, let's do this our way. Would there not be a serious cross over of the skills involved in each role?

BallyhaiseMan

Welcome back to the board TTB, your insights have been missed.

as for a team the next day, its too soon to be asking Michael Hannon to start a game in my opinion, he doesnt have the amount of training behind him,most others do.
Better to keep our best defender(in my opinion) out until hes 100%

Put it up

Barry Watters
Ronan Flanagan
Martin Cahill, That is a fairly light half back line, i would imagine Johnny Crowe or Podge would be in there to give it a bit of power.

Full Back come the championship will be Michael Hannon id imagine, Podge and Dunne just dont have the burst of speed at IC level for the position.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 20, 2009, 06:02:25 PM
Welcome back to the board TTB, your insights have been missed.

as for a team the next day, its too soon to be asking Michael Hannon to start a game in my opinion, he doesnt have the amount of training behind him,most others do.
Better to keep our best defender(in my opinion) out until hes 100%

Put it up

Barry Watters
Ronan Flanagan
Martin Cahill, That is a fairly light half back line, i would imagine Johnny Crowe or Podge would be in there to give it a bit of power.

Full Back come the championship will be Michael Hannon id imagine, Podge and Dunne just dont have the burst of speed at IC level for the position.

I think Watters is struggling with a groin injury and is going to need a operation.

Celt_Man

I really don't see it but a lot of people seem to think that Michael Hannon is our best defender... Where has that come from?? I can't remember him playing well on any of the opposite's dangerman in a long time...

Again don't know where Barry Waters comes from either, still very young and very light for this level.  And he isn't actually a good defender, I'm not saying he isn't good on the ball and going forward but that's not what half back is all about at all
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

whats my name

i think put it up has a good team there the only way cavan are goin 2 make an impact in the next few years is by sticking with the younger lads on the panel like watters keating,dunne,givney the should be getting reagular football at inter county level thats the only way cavan will be able to compete with the power houses of ulster football in the next few years!!!!

and on another note sean brady why is he still on the county panel he has only played with castlerahan twice in the last three years you wouldnt see that on any county panel in the country he has not merited a place on the county panel i know he is injured alot and thats whats holding him back from playing but by him being in there and not being fit to play he is keeping another good footballer of the current county i.e anton reilly different position but well fit for county football from what we seen in the mckenna cup i know where talking gaa here but in soccer if a player has only played that much in a three year spell he would be let go

whats my name

i dont think watters is struggling with an injury cavan4ever he played a full u-21 game against fermanagh at the weekend was at it he played very well as did rory dunne

cavan4ever

Quote from: whats my name on February 20, 2009, 08:30:14 PM
i dont think watters is struggling with an injury cavan4ever he played a full u-21 game against fermanagh at the weekend was at it he played very well as did rory dunne

Maybe not but thats what im being told.

mylestheslasher

Thatstheball - how do you think the players will react after the widespread criticism of their performance against Tipp? Will we get a big effort against Down or will it be more of the same.

mylestheslasher

I hope they do. A win against Down could really lift our season and get us going again. Some of our players put in great performances in the Sigerson Cup last week. Martion Reilly scored 2-3 for DIT. Seanie Johnstone 0-6 for DCU. Cullivan got 0-3 and Flanagan got a point or two. It is hard to see why we don't get the same level of performance from our players in Cavan jerseys. I do believe the blanket defences in the last 2 games are posing major problems for our smaller players.

descartes

QuoteSome of our players put in great performances in the Sigerson Cup last week. Martion Reilly scored 2-3 for DIT. Seanie Johnstone 0-6 for DCU. Cullivan got 0-3 and Flanagan got a point or two.

its good to see so many of the cavan lads doing well at this level. a brother of one of the dublin lads on the DIT panel was asking me about hannon... came as news to me but apparently he is over them? good to see that too.

anyway, based on the polar opinions of these two, Ballyhaiseman Vs Celt_Man

QuotePosted on: February 20, 2009, 06:02:25 PMPosted by: BallyhaiseMan

QuotePosted on: February 20, 2009, 06:23:42 PMPosted by: Celt_Man
I really don't see it but a lot of people seem to think that Michael Hannon is our best defender... Where has that come from??

it got me thinking... if you could only pick 1 defender on the cavan panel to play in the full back line... who would you pick?
now i know i've already said that Sheridan and Hannon should be in the fullback line come championship but that was based on them having great games and a very good partnership in the qualifier match against kildare, if i could only pick one sheridan would probably lose out based on his relative lack of experience, but i really think this guy could be our francie bellew in a few years. and i mean that as a compliment, He's not the best player in the world but from what i've heard his attitude is top class. Francie didnt really start playing intercounty untill he was 25/26 so b4 anyone starts hounding on about this being ridiculous give sheridan time to develop.

so BHman, Celt_Man et al? lets be having it from you??  will anyone pick podge i wonder?  ;)

and just to finish off, the calls for tommy carr to go are ridiculous. 2 games? if you were an intercounty manager how much time with your panel do you think you should be given before getting the chop, and no the Mckenna cup dont count since the college based lads are not around!!!

give the man a chance, even keoghan got 2 years ffs!!!!

put-it-up

lads i have a lot of time for Mickey Hannon. I think he has been hung out to dry in the past by been given the sole responsability of say Benny Coulter but In my opinion he will be corner back. The reason I included Rory Dunne is simple - he is fantastic in the air. He is calm and has a great pair of hands. He struggles though, when asked to be a more typical corner back. if asked to follow his man left right and centre, he can be punished. But use the fella's strengths and let him take control of the skies.

Again anyone know where Eamon Reilyl went too?He would give us an anchor at centre back.

Watters does not need an operation - immediately anyway, he played a full game last week with the U21's

I think the U21s need to step up to the plate this year. If they show they are good enough for senior level, let 6 or so of them into the team to freshen things up. I dont think are problem is having poor players. Just too many players at the same average level

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 20, 2009, 06:23:42 PM
I really don't see it but a lot of people seem to think that Michael Hannon is our best defender... Where has that come from?? I can't remember him playing well on any of the opposite's dangerman in a long time...

Again don't know where Barry Waters comes from either, still very young and very light for this level.  And he isn't actually a good defender, I'm not saying he isn't good on the ball and going forward but that's not what half back is all about at all

he got a roasting from Coulter in Casement in McElkennons last year fair enough

Coulter scored 2 goals on Paul Brady the next year in Breffini when we were under Keoghan/Grimley, Michael Hannon switched over onto him and kept him quiet,
Hannon also kept him quiet in the replay in Newry where Coulter had next to no impact.
I believe he is the best defender we have.
He also done a good job on StevieMac last year against Armagh.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: descartes on February 21, 2009, 04:58:06 PM

QuoteSome of our players put in great performances in the Sigerson Cup last week. Martion Reilly scored 2-3 for DIT. Seanie Johnstone 0-6 for DCU. Cullivan got 0-3 and Flanagan got a point or two.

its good to see so many of the cavan lads doing well at this level. a brother of one of the dublin lads on the DIT panel was asking me about hannon... came as news to me but apparently he is over them? good to see that too.

anyway, based on the polar opinions of these two, Ballyhaiseman Vs Celt_Man

QuotePosted on: February 20, 2009, 06:02:25 PMPosted by: BallyhaiseMan

QuotePosted on: February 20, 2009, 06:23:42 PMPosted by: Celt_Man
I really don't see it but a lot of people seem to think that Michael Hannon is our best defender... Where has that come from??

it got me thinking... if you could only pick 1 defender on the cavan panel to play in the full back line... who would you pick?
now i know i've already said that Sheridan and Hannon should be in the fullback line come championship but that was based on them having great games and a very good partnership in the qualifier match against kildare, if i could only pick one sheridan would probably lose out based on his relative lack of experience, but i really think this guy could be our francie bellew in a few years. and i mean that as a compliment, He's not the best player in the world but from what i've heard his attitude is top class. Francie didnt really start playing intercounty untill he was 25/26 so b4 anyone starts hounding on about this being ridiculous give sheridan time to develop.

so BHman, Celt_Man et al? lets be having it from you??  will anyone pick podge i wonder?  ;)

and just to finish off, the calls for tommy carr to go are ridiculous. 2 games? if you were an intercounty manager how much time with your panel do you think you should be given before getting the chop, and no the Mckenna cup dont count since the college based lads are not around!!!

give the man a chance, even keoghan got 2 years ffs!!!!

Big fan of Dermot Sheridan, hes a typical Mullahoran player,Tough,Resiliant, a good defender,good marker and has good ability aswell.

Michael Hannon, A N Other ,Dermot Sheridan             would be my first choice full backline

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 21, 2009, 03:18:49 PM
I hope they do. A win against Down could really lift our season and get us going again. Some of our players put in great performances in the Sigerson Cup last week. Martion Reilly scored 2-3 for DIT. Seanie Johnstone 0-6 for DCU. Cullivan got 0-3 and Flanagan got a point or two. It is hard to see why we don't get the same level of performance from our players in Cavan jerseys. I do believe the blanket defences in the last 2 games are posing major problems for our smaller players.

?????? blanket defence from Tipperary. I didn't see it Myles. No need for it as they had no interest in the ball.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up on February 23, 2009, 05:30:38 PM
Heard the Seniors beat the U21's at the weekend in Breffni.

Wasn't at it myself but I was told by one of the players that Walsh was very effective at full-forward, Lyng was creative at CF and McCabe was back too. Dermot Sheridan was meant to have done very well of Givney. Oh an James Reilly appeared as well.

The U21's are still not a settled team. Cullivan and Dane O'Dowd were missing. Keeper made a couple of saves and Rory Dunne did ok on Walsh but was left far too exposed. Other than that it was a battling performance with no stand out performances.

we are playing Armagh 18th of march the day after Cross play in the club final, Cross have 6 members of the under 21 team in their ranks,
you couldnt get Armagh at a better time, and id be very disappointed if we didnt beat them. it was said before but id much prefer a seperate manager for the under 21's someone who could devote their entire time from November-May to them.