Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: Drung on February 16, 2009, 12:38:07 PM
I was at all the three McKenna Cup matches and McCormack was poor in all - when I saw his direct opponents scored 0-5 against Antrim (and got in for a goal whioch he fluffed), the writing was on the wall.
In fairness, he shouldnt have been left on Close for the whole match that day.

T think that enough about him now.

boojangles

I was at all the three McKenna Cup matches and McCormack was poor in all - when I saw his direct opponents scored 0-5 against Antrim (and got in for a goal whioch he fluffed), the writing was on the wall.

last Question on this matter-Was he worse than our Full-Back?

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on February 16, 2009, 11:36:38 AM

BH Man, I think calling for Tommy Carrs head is a bit premature TBH but in the end I dont think it matters.
Red n Black Im sorry to say but your wasting your time thinking you can change things.I have been involved in my club at coaching for the last few years and Im only 24 and still playing.Ideally players should be let play and ex-players or parents should look after Underage in a club but its not happeneing.Parents or anybody else for that matter just don't wanna give up their time anymore.If one good thing comes out of this recession it is that maybe some people mite dedicate more of their free time(because there should be lots) to Coaching young lads.

I honestly don't think I could agree with ya more, I'm the same with my club... Some parents don't want to know and they use it as  a baby sitting service and some of the coaches or people involved really don't know what they are doing and can end up doing more harm than good.  There are days when it could depress ya...

By the way, wasn't at the game yesterday but have heard a few accounts of it by now and it seems to me that the attitude was poor yesterday and it's a hard thing to try and change half way through the game especially when it's in the back of your mind that it's against supposed "inferior" opposition...
Roll on Cavan Gaels and the start of the leagues!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on February 16, 2009, 01:13:23 PM

last Question on this matter-Was he worse than our Full-Back?

He was worse in the Armagh game podge did ok when clarke moved out the field a bit.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: RednBlack on February 16, 2009, 11:45:47 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on February 16, 2009, 11:44:09 AM
Anyone going to head to Newry in two weeks?
Wouldn't miss it!!
......fuckin season ticket.
I felt like you on Sunday at half-time Boojangles. You feel a bit of pride in attending all the games and laugh at people that say they wouldn't watch if it was in their back garden. But when you see a lack of effort it might be a time to pack all in. Here's hoping that there was heavy training during the week or some reason we couldn't function.
Can you imagine the slobbering that Benny Coulter must be doing?

Drung

QuoteT think that enough about him now.

I don't understand?
Boojangles, apart from the Queens match, McCormack was worse than Podge in the other two games in my opinion. He should have been tried in a different position because he was lost at corner-back.
What has happened Tierney??

Mr. Pain

This is typical of Cavan supporters. Slating players and managers before they get a chance. Carr has to be given a bit of time, no matter what credentials he has or hasn't. The lads playing are good enough to beat Tipperary. The problem has to be in the head. Ballyhaise Man, a bit OTT. Boojangles, go to the games and then make a point. Mr. Pain posted back a while ago about McCormack. While he is a good footballer he didn't perform in the games he played. Yes, you can talk about Padraig Reilly, it is strange to keep him in that position, he will probably tell you that himself. We do have to build a team and instant success will not happen although we should be beating these teams. Are there any leaders in the team? Who is the captain? The players have to stand up and take charge. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

mylestheslasher

I tend to agree with Mr Pain. Carr and his back room team need some time. I think BMH when some time passes you'll see that changing manager now will do no good. I wasn't at the game but I can only imagine ye all felt like I did when I went to  the famous Waterford game a couple of years ago. There was a lot more at stake that day mind you (promotion if we got 1 point if I remember correctly). We have left ourselves an awful hill to climb but I think we are capable. I also have a theory as to part of the reason we are been beaten. Since now we have a potentially dangerous FF line, teams like Longford and Tipp are going to pack the defence. I don't think Cavan are used to playing against that and certainly have no idea how to counter it. This happened this year v Longford, then Tipp. Last year against W'Meath for one. We played better against the bigger teams that went one on one with us. The fact that we are not a big strong team means that it is harder to play against these tactics as we need men to break the tackle. That is a contributory factor IMO.

cavanmaniac

There's an awful lot of despair in here but I can't help thinking alot of it is a bit knee jerk. I'm surprised at BHM's signature change and calls for Carr out, that smacks of over reaction to me to be honest and not like BHM but I guess it's still very soon after a very galling loss.

I was working in Dublin so didn't make the game, so perhaps I'd be feeling a lot worse if I'd witnessed the performance first hand. Then again, at this remove, maybe it's easier to have more perspective.

Carr, quite simply, hasn't had a wet week to implement his ideas or do anything really. He's experimenting a little and will obviously have a certain style he will need time to implement, or worst case scenario, time to show he can't implement one. If he had dispensed with Podge at full back already we'd likely be saying he was chopping and changing too quickly a la Keogan, who let's not forget was giving debuts at midfield come championship time, so dishevelled and panicky were his preparations. Whatever our best team will be, we will know it come summer, I'm confident of that with this manager.

Also, at this time of the year, off the wall results like this are common in the league. Lower ranked teams like Tipp can have a serious fitness edge and that counts for alot too, especially if the other team happens to have had a very heavy session in a given week, as someone alluded to on this very thread in the run up to the match. The Longford loss too was something of a comparable freak by all accounts.

I'm hopeful that the Sheridan(?) lad brought in from Virginia VS to train the team will have us in the right shape coming nearer the end of the campaign. I'm also happy that the likes of Mulvey and McKeever were given a fair crack to prove themselves and have taken too much rope and are now after getting fucked off, unlike previous regimes where they were endlessly indulged. That's a huge plus for me, it's the corner stone of anything we hope to do and was the first step that we were avoiding taking in recent years, so let's just wait and see if results slide into line in time.

As ac says, with cool heads and a reaction to this defeat, plus the selection lessons learned perhaps, we can still hold our place in this Division I believe.

Put it this way, I still doubt, with all respect, that Tipp would beat Cavan in a championship match come summer, all things being equal as regards a full team, fitness etc. Let's keep a bit of perspective and not be takiing the nuclear option quite so hurriedly. I accept this raises a few doubts and casts a few clouds but it's very early days and let's take a breath and see how the rest of the season goes before making our judgements.

I'm not expressing full confidence in Carr or anything as regards winning things, just saying we have to give him a fair crack before assessing him properly. I do believe he can put a solid foundation in place and sad though it is to have to acknowledge it, Cavan football is so firmly in the mire that with this small acheivement we would have to be happy. Only on that can we build.

Let's just take a breath here.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 16, 2009, 09:01:18 PM
There's an awful lot of despair in here but I can't help thinking alot of it is a bit knee jerk. I'm surprised at BHM's signature change and calls for Carr out, that smacks of over reaction to me to be honest and not like BHM but I guess it's still very soon after a very galling loss.

I was working in Dublin so didn't make the game, so perhaps I'd be feeling a lot worse if I'd witnessed the performance first hand. Then again, at this remove, maybe it's easier to have more perspective.

Carr, quite simply, hasn't had a wet week to implement his ideas or do anything really. He's experimenting a little and will obviously have a certain style he will need time to implement, or worst case scenario, time to show he can't implement one. If he had dispensed with Podge at full back already we'd likely be saying he was chopping and changing too quickly a la Keogan, who let's not forget was giving debuts at midfield come championship time, so dishevelled and panicky were his preparations. Whatever our best team will be, we will know it come summer, I'm confident of that with this manager.

Also, at this time of the year, off the wall results like this are common in the league. Lower ranked teams like Tipp can have a serious fitness edge and that counts for alot too, especially if the other team happens to have had a very heavy session in a given week, as someone alluded to on this very thread in the run up to the match. The Longford loss too was something of a comparable freak by all accounts.

I'm hopeful that the Sheridan(?) lad brought in from Virginia VS to train the team will have us in the right shape coming nearer the end of the campaign. I'm also happy that the likes of Mulvey and McKeever were given a fair crack to prove themselves and have taken too much rope and are now after getting fucked off, unlike previous regimes where they were endlessly indulged. That's a huge plus for me, it's the corner stone of anything we hope to do and was the first step that we were avoiding taking in recent years, so let's just wait and see if results slide into line in time.

As ac says, with cool heads and a reaction to this defeat, plus the selection lessons learned perhaps, we can still hold our place in this Division I believe.

Put it this way, I still doubt, with all respect, that Tipp would beat Cavan in a championship match come summer, all things being equal as regards a full team, fitness etc. Let's keep a bit of perspective and not be takiing the nuclear option quite so hurriedly. I accept this raises a few doubts and casts a few clouds but it's very early days and let's take a breath and see how the rest of the season goes before making our judgements.

I'm not expressing full confidence in Carr or anything as regards winning things, just saying we have to give him a fair crack before assessing him properly. I do believe he can put a solid foundation in place and sad though it is to have to acknowledge it, Cavan football is so firmly in the mire that with this small acheivement we would have to be happy. Only on that can we build.

:D :D :D...cant see the wood for the trees....thats as funny as I have seen in a while...not near wise. That warped sense of non reality explains it all :D

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on February 16, 2009, 09:18:05 PM

:D :D :D...cant see the wood for the trees....thats as funny as I have seen in a while...not near wise. That warped sense of non reality explains it all :D

YAWN!

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2009, 09:26:22 PM

YAWN!

In fairness to Max it is a really stupid statement to make.

the salmon of knowledge

i must say, that was the worst cavan preformance i ever seen yesterday, no joke...
but to look for carrs head is too much, sack him, then what,?? no matter what any man needs some time, a precious commodity as a manager these days.
but, probably the most distressing thing of all yesterday was the lack of shape, premedittated attacking patterns and any type of a general plan. I think anyone who was at the game will agree, we looked like the hurling county yesterday(with respect).

so what were our attacking options??

presumabaly the high ball to our FF who ideally collects and offloads to oncoming WHFs was one plan.
well that was out the window, the FB marshalled givney well, and even if he won it, there was literally a cavan man in sight!

we cant run hard at opponents as we cant break tackles
we cant rely on quality distribution from midfield and CHB

just very very bad

Lawrence of Knockbride

A lot of sense talked but maybe we should be concentrating on the league rather than the championship.

Oh learned one Max, please do enlighten us. Let me guess, you backed Tipp to win?