Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on February 15, 2009, 01:31:08 PM
As I said I wasnt at any of the games but I know for certain that McCormack couldnt have been any worse than at least 2 or 3 other backs who will be playing today.There is more future in trying to bring on a lad who is 22 and give him plenty of games than trying and trying with a lad who is 27/28 who has got numerous chances with the County but hasnt played well since 2002 IMO.But anyway I dont wanna start a personal slagging match or an argument but thats my opinion.There were alot of lads who could have got the chop that werent playing well but their reputations kept them there.

I know he is a good player but he did himself no favours againsts Queens but with match day panels of 24 lads are going to be giving much time to prove themselves. So it looks like Galligan and Walsh in Midfield for the year now with Mulvey rumoured to be gone, it will be interesting to see what will happen if either get injured.

BallyhaiseMan

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Cavan 0-11 Tipperary 0-13
that was fuckin disgraceful, Even Donal Keoghan didnt lose to Hurling counties.Tommy Carr should f**k off back to dublin if thats the best he  can do,

1.Fintan Reily
done nothing wrong,varied kickouts well in second half. 7

2,Michael Brides
One of Cavans better players, got some key blocks and deflections in. 7

3.Pauric Reily
wasnt great,dragged out and didnt impact the game much. 6

4.Keith Fannin,
Like Brides, had to defend alot of space,fouled a few times,but wasnt the worst. 6

5.Martin Cahill,
done ok,legs went near the end,was probably one of the better players in an atrocious performance. 7

6.Ronan Flanagan
thought he was very poor,distribution was poor,nearly got a few players killed by poor passing,
Number 11 Philip Austin for Tipp roasted him and was Tipp's main man from open play. 5

7.Johnny Crowe,
decent, wasnt really bad or good,needs to get quicker and lighter if he is to have afuture at IC level. 6

8.Nicholas Walsh,
caught 2 or 3 clean, didnt have a bad game,put himself about,but had no support what so ever though. 7

9.Ciaran Galligan, im a big fan,but he was very poor today, he didnt seem to be jumping at all(injury)didnt impact the game whatsoever,change could have came quicker,replaced by Lyng. 5

10.Eddie Reily
scored 0-1,works hard,but hes missing that bit of class and composure for IC level,not accurate enough. 5

11.Ray Cullivan
got on alot of ball,but delivery was poor,didnt win any ball in the air eitherand dropped a few short, 5

12.Martin Reily,
kicked a few frees,but his man, No. 7 Brian Fox, ran forward at will scoring 2 or 3 from play, 5

13.Sean Johnston,
Very poor,dropped ball after ball short and just never got going. 5

14.David Givney,
He has talent,but he has absolutely no pace whatsoever,beaten 4 or 5 times after getting a 5 yard headstart,caught 3 times for overcarrying aswell,he wont be a serious option this year im afraid. 4

15.Gerard Pierson
Cavans best player,
always showing,battling,kicked couple from play and very accurate from frees. 7

subs
Michael Lyng
Dermot Sheridan(yellow carded) then replaced by John McCutcheon
Cian Mackey(scored aterrific point from play)

One again like after the Waterford game, we are the laughing stock of the whole Country.
Relegation seems certain, as if we cant beat Longford or Tipp,
we arent going to beat Limerick,Louth or Down..
Thank God Club football is starting back soon.

anglocelt39

Quote from: REDCOL on February 15, 2009, 04:35:34 PM
I never thought I would say it, but our new manager is a joke. Still playing Podge FB and this result is right up there with the Waterford debacle.

Bit insulting to Waterford, very insulting to Tipp and showing an unwillingness to recognise where we are at as a county, I.e. number 8 in Ulster at best and things may have to get worse before they get better-i.e. number of guys at the stalwart level all but finished-McCabe, Forde, Larry, Jason. trying to pick up the pieces after a two year joke of a management regime (the McKeever incident could be seen as one of the leftovers of the previous regime). Two weeks break now, Sigerson will be well and truly finished by next game, achievement at this stage will be to stay in Division 3. We have two of to so-called winnable games played and lost, division 4 is possibility and potentially disasterous.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

AC
even Donal Keogan with Paul Grimley/Julie Davis on board,beat teams like Tipp and Longford well in his first year to get us promotion,
This was diabolical.
We dont have the best players in Ulster or Ireland,
But we have the players to be contesting for promotion in this division,
Losing to a patched up Longford and Tipp(at home!) is unacceptable,
If Carr had any pride, he would walk after that.

BallyhaiseMan

RednBlack
Re:Your comment about the fundamentals(picking the ball up)

the likes of Jelly,Mickey Lyng,Cullivan Ronan Flanagan and co have spent as many hours on the training field practising the skills of catching,kicking,shooting,picking the ball up all their lives as the Sean Cavanaghs and Gooch Coopers of this island.
players will make mistakes,falling over the ball when trying to pick it up which happened,Martin Cahill and Johnny Crowe a couple of times today.
my disgust with today was,that Cavan didnt know what to do when they were down,No ideas, when Tipp dropped two men back,Kicking the ball straight to the spare man, or launching it in high when our forwards were outnumbered 5-2.
Tipp just ran the ball on the overlap in wave after wave,they always seemed to have a free man running into space at speed every time.
The Players arent completely blameless,But that team today looked to have no direction,co-ordination or planning,
Tipp were a far better coached team,with an actual game plan of running the ball at speed.

Onlooker

That was a very sweet win today for a young Tipperary team that is largely based on the Under 21 teams of 2007 and 2008 that pushed the eventual All Ireland Champions Cork and Kerry all the way in two Munster Finals.  I am not one for gloating but the references to losing to hurling counties I find quite insulting and condescending.  Hurling is the No. 1 sport in Tipperary, but there are a lot of footballers in the county as well and I am proud of the players that pulled off that win today.  This win gives us a chance of keeping our place in Div. 3.  It will be a struggle, but we have a realistic chance of surviving as wins away from home are a major boost in the NFL.  With regard to Tommy Carr it is worth mentioning that he played for Tipperary, before he played for Dublin.  He would have a certain knowledge of some of the Tipp players, but he does not seem to have put that to any great use today.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Onlooker on February 15, 2009, 05:28:08 PM
That was a very sweet win today for a young Tipperary team that is largely based on the Under 21 teams of 2007 and 2008 that pushed the eventual All Ireland Champions Cork and Kerry all the way in two Munster Finals.  I am not one for gloating but the references to losing to hurling counties I find quite insulting and condescending.  Hurling is the No. 1 sport in Tipperary, but there are a lot of footballers in the county as well and I am proud of the players that pulled off that win today.  This win gives us a chance of keeping our place in Div. 3.  It will be a struggle, but we have a realistic chance of surviving as wins away from home are a major boost in the NFL.  With regard to Tommy Carr it is worth mentioning that he played for Tipperary, before he played for Dublin.  He would have a certain knowledge of some of the Tipp players, but he does not seem to have put that to any great use today.

my comments were not meant to be condescending Onlooker,and i apologise if you were insulted by them however you can imagine how we feel,we were expecting to be challenging for promotion,yet we have lost to the two supposedly weakest teams in the division.
You do have some fine players in that team,
Barry Grogan is as good a placekicker as ive seen.
Philip Austin your number 11 was outstanding
as was Number 7 Brian Fox.
we are in freefall,thanks for not gloating and best of luck to Tipp in Football and Hurling for the rest of the year
as for Tommy Carr, i hope he doesnt let the door hit him on the way out  >:(

Onlooker

Cheers, Ballyhaiseman.  No hard feelings at all.  I can certainly sympathise with Cavan supporters, having left many League and Championship games in deep despair!.  Things are never as bad as they seem at the final whistle, but I am a loss to understand how Cavan have struggled for so many years.   I know that there is a passion for football in Cavan and they do say that the darkest hour is before the dawn.  With regard to Barry Grogan, I expect he was kicking the frees off the ground and I think there is lot to be said for that method instead of kicking from the hand.  I still can't see Cavan being relegated to Div. 4.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Onlooker on February 15, 2009, 05:54:38 PM
Cheers, Ballyhaiseman.  No hard feelings at all.  I can certainly sympathise with Cavan supporters, having left many League and Championship games in deep despair!.  Things are never as bad as they seem at the final whistle, but I am a loss to understand how Cavan have struggled for so many years.   I know that there is a passion for football in Cavan and they do say that the darkest hour is before the dawn.  With regard to Barry Grogan, I expect he was kicking the frees off the ground and I think there is lot to be said for that method instead of kicking from the hand.  I still can't see Cavan being relegated to Div. 4.

I think your wrong there.

Drung

QuoteIf Carr had any pride, he would walk after that.
Just so we're clear: you think that if Tommy Carr doesn't quit as manager after six weeks of collective training, he has no pride?
Also, the Tipp freetaker was good but by no means that best I have seen. It's not like he kicked 0-10 and was flinging them over from all angles. He scored six or seven frees, all in front of the goals (more or less) and a couple from about 40 to 45 metres.
He dropped a couple short as well, actually.
Well done to Tipp, thoroughly deserved the win, great workrate.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Drung on February 15, 2009, 06:52:48 PM
QuoteIf Carr had any pride, he would walk after that.
Just so we're clear: you think that if Tommy Carr doesn't quit as manager after six weeks of collective training, he has no pride?
Also, the Tipp freetaker was good but by no means that best I have seen. It's not like he kicked 0-10 and was flinging them over from all angles. He scored six or seven frees, all in front of the goals (more or less) and a couple from about 40 to 45 metres.
He dropped a couple short as well, actually.
Well done to Tipp, thoroughly deserved the win, great workrate.

Yes Carr should quit,perhaps it might stop the plunge into division 4 if we could get someone decent in.
6 weeks of collective training? give me a break,Its the same for everyone, Yet the Tipp players were far faster and fitter than us.
He gave strength and conditioning programmes out in November, he should have been able to judge if the players had done it and whether their fitness was up to scratch beforehand.If not they should have been left off the panel.
One example is Pauric Reily, who is clearly off the pace and not fit,Yet was played in both games.
Either Tommy Carr cant judge a player or his training programmes are not worth a shit.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Probably best if some of us didn't post right after the game as emotions are running high. I'd agree a little with what everyone says. The basic skills were lacking in places-not being able to pick the ball up etc. although the pitch looked bumpy. But the biggest problem as far as I saw it was all under the broad heading of Attitude.

We came out very relaxed and I would suspect that the players were complacent. If you start a game like that it's very difficult to change the mentality half way through. Tipperary played some nice football in the first half, moving & supporting the ball well in hand passing moves in particular. But what are our lads thinking or being taught?

When a half back goes on the overlap to support a team-mate why must our lads wait until he has the bal in his handsl and is 10 metres ahead before deciding to make the big lung-bursting, crowd pleasing chase back. I remember John Giles saying of Denis Irwin that he rarely makes sliding tackles cos he puts himself in a position so that it's rarely necessary. We had Eddie & Martin Reilly chasing back trying to gain 10 metres on a man when being switched on in the first place would have done the job.

The half foward line wasn't interested in making themselves available as an option all day long and the amount of times our backs had to play the ball across the pitch to retain possession was unbelievable. Of course you got the usual old school brainless fans demanding it be lumped in long to nobody.
There was no gameplan and you could clearly hear Brides telling them not to be putting every ball in high. Was the plan to put the ball in high? Was there a plan?

The Cavan mentality has been there for years. We think we're better than we are. We'll walk over Tipperary is the belief whereas the Tipp belief was ""We can win this game if we work our arses off". And guess who was right?

Having spoken to players that worked with TC, the fear was always that despite his much needed disciplinarian approach, he is a dour manager that won't do much for inspiration. Our lads need both sides of it.

Ridiculous to be calling for him to resign IMO but another sad day to add to the list of the recent ??? years. I took look forward to club action in a fortnight. :'( ???

BallyhaiseMan

The Forward movement has been poor for years,on one occasion in the first half all 3 in the full forward line all dummied one way then  ran into the same area crowding it out.
we used to get away with it, when we had sheer pace in Jayo and Larry in their youth who could take on and beat their markers with sheer speed,but some coaching and set plays must be undertaken,
If you ever watch the Tyrone forwards even in the McKenna cup, they make diagonal runs,interchange and are very hard to pick up.

im going to give the talk about Carr and the Tipp game a rest,like evryone else im in bad form over it.

whats my name

i think ballyhaise man your being a bit hard on givney there with the ratings out of 10 if you look at the game he set up 3 points from wining the ball inside he scored a point he won the ball in the early stages that set up eddie for a goal chance i know he wasnt outstanding but sum of the ball that was going into him was cat because hes a big man speed isnt hes strongest point its ball wining ability!!!! balls in high is where he is going to do the damage for cavan and also most of the balls that came near him today he either broke or caught i think he has a big future with cavan and hes only 19 he has plenty of time 2 mature into his role do you agree??????

and also did anyone think cavan looked unfit 2day or was it just me???????

Drung

To say Carr should quit is completely ludicrous.
He has been manager for five competitive matches, two of which we have won! Is five matches enough to fix two years of rubbish from the Keogan era??
If we get in a new manager, what happens if we lose two more league matches? He should go and we can get someone else in???
Let's talk sense here. The search for the quick fix solution is what we've all said is wrong with Cavan, including you BallyhaiseMan. It takes time to build a winning team. That was Keogan's team today, not Carr's.
I will judge him at the end of this season. Defeat, and the manner of it, is a bitter pill to swallow but let's not be hasty.
On Givney, he set up a couple of points and scored one which was almost a goal. He'll make it in time.