Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

wasnt McKeever dropped last year aswell for the same reason? then he returned to the panel later.
It might be different this year though.

tierworker blue

If this is true (again, stressing the 'if'...) then it is unacceptable behaviour and Carr has made the right decision.
I have no problem with a lad enjoying himself at all, and I'm quite partial to a few pints and a bit of buckleppin' myself, but there must be pride in the jersey above all in my opinion. Falling around Cavan town in a beered up state in county gear just is'nt good enough. It's that kind of thing that must be purged from the county set up completely if we are ever going to find our way out of the doldrums...we've seen it way too often.
I'm happy that Carr does'nt seem willing to pander to lads who are given an inch and take a mile. A solid foundation for the future cannot be built on that kind of eegitin'.
Myles mentioned about the Tyrone lads having to fold the jerseys and such and whilst I don't like comparing ourselves to other counties, I believe this is the respect that is due to the colours.

anglocelt39

actin the bollix by members of the Cavan panel Act 6.0.

Eamon Coleman RIP had a benevolent enough attitude towards it, Marty McIlkennon tried to control it but failed (witness his last year in charge, the team he put out in the first round of the championship featured one of the most crippled forward lines ever seen as I recall), Donal Keogan, well,....................................., so the test was always going to be very soon coming to Tommy.

Now it's an amateur sport and it's the Month of February but if it's true that fellas are falling around the place in their County gear, how much more of a direct challenge to a new managers authority can you have.

Entering the Imperial-were they so shitfaced as to forget who is in charge??

If it's in any way true it's time to act Tommy
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Looks like I am going to miss the game on Sunday. Have a club match myself in my adoped team. Could some kind board member post a report please?

BallyhaiseMan

No bother myles, il have one u by 6pm on sunday evening

Yes i have no life outside football   :'(

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on February 13, 2009, 11:05:02 AM
Good chance James Reilly back between the posts on Sunday. Will be interested to see if the onion sack billows as much as recent games!!!

He might need a bit of training first as he will be a bit rusty after a long lay off but its a must win game so i wouldnt be suprised to see him play.

descartes

QuotePosted by: RednBlack

Cavan vs Tipperary - F Reilly, M Brides, P Reilly, M Hannon, M Cahill, P Brady, J Crowe, C Galligan, N Walsh, E Reilly, R Flanagan, C Mackey, M Reilly, D Givney, G Pierson

wher'd you get that team from?

mylestheslasher

Good man rednblack. you seem to have the inside line on the county set-up. Looks like you were right about McKeever. Carr seems to be still trying new things. Flanagan at Ctr Forwrd and Paul Brady to Ctr Back. No sign of Cullivan - perhaps he is injured. He still seems to be persevering with Podge at FB. Still no Johnstone in the team. Will be interesting to see how we get on. Tipp might not be that bad and I expect, if they have done the basic homework, that they'll pump loads of high ball at their FF.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 14, 2009, 01:44:51 PM
Good man rednblack. you seem to have the inside line on the county set-up. Looks like you were right about McKeever. Carr seems to be still trying new things. Flanagan at Ctr Forwrd and Paul Brady to Ctr Back. No sign of Cullivan - perhaps he is injured. He still seems to be persevering with Podge at FB. Still no Johnstone in the team. Will be interesting to see how we get on. Tipp might not be that bad and I expect, if they have done the basic homework, that they'll pump loads of high ball at their FF.

I'd imagine they'd be told to pump lots of low balls at our full forward as he would have time to waken up when it's in the air if they were hight.

I see miller & fintan's cousin is getting married today. I wonder who'll be spiking whose drink

boojangles

Been away for a few weeks,havent been at any Cavan games this year at all so Im not going to comment too much.Very dissapointed that our man Enda McCormack didnt make the cut,for a lad who seemed to be progressing well but I suppose some things never change in this county.Some lads find it harder to get off the Cavan panel than they do getting on it.A name means more in Cavan than footballing ability.
Just heard that Paddy Gumley is gonna be out of football for a number of months.He was concussed or something at a training lately but they sent him to the Doctors just to be cautious,it turns out he was very lucky and that there may be a heart problem or something.Very sad news for a lad who had done so well to get in there.I wish Paddy a full recovery.
Red n Black makes a very good but obvious point about Coaching in this county.I made a similiar point on the board a number of months ago about the lack of good coaches or people willing to give their time to clubs any more.The proof of the pudding has been in Terry Coyle park every Saturday morning for the last 20 years.Cavan Gaels with the enormous effort of the Reilly brothers and numerous other volunteers dedicated themselves to coaching week in week out for the last 20 years.They thought young lads how to be winners and they have been reaping the rewards ever since.6 County Champioships in this decade alone tells its own tale.No other club in the county has sustained the level of Underage success like the Gaels and it shows at Senior level.
As for the Championship draw,well nothing like a good tough Group to get the head focused.We will be lucky to win a game in that group!!

cavan4ever

Welcome back boojangles.  Im afraid Enda McCormack wasnt up to the standard in the 2 games that i saw and i dont think it was a big suprise that he was cut from the panel.  Yeah heard that about Gumley hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 14, 2009, 08:28:30 PM
Welcome back boojangles.  Im afraid Enda McCormack wasnt up to the standard in the 2 games that i saw and i dont think it was a big suprise that he was cut from the panel.  Yeah heard that about Gumley hopefully he will make a full recovery.
More than a little harsh on McCormack C4E IMO. Maybe it was because he was beside Podge but I thought he did ok. Especially when you see the number 3 unchanged. Sad to hear about Gumly. I suppose if he's ok and healthy it's a good thing it was spotted on time but at least it explains his absence after a decent spell with the county. Here hopes all works out for him.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: REDCOL on February 15, 2009, 10:50:34 AM
He got gate on Friday night, he iis not in the country today

Holy Fu*k. Carr is that pissed with him that he banned him from the country. This man must wield unreal power :D

boojangles

As I said I wasnt at any of the games but I know for certain that McCormack couldnt have been any worse than at least 2 or 3 other backs who will be playing today.There is more future in trying to bring on a lad who is 22 and give him plenty of games than trying and trying with a lad who is 27/28 who has got numerous chances with the County but hasnt played well since 2002 IMO.But anyway I dont wanna start a personal slagging match or an argument but thats my opinion.There were alot of lads who could have got the chop that werent playing well but their reputations kept them there.

Drung

QuoteI wasnt at any of the games... There were alot of lads who could have got the chop that werent playing well

How do you know?

McCormack's man, Ciaran Close, scored 0-5 from play in Belfast. That was the game which lost him his place. Good lad and good club player but county player? No.