Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

I remember seeing Donal Meade in Action on quite a few sunny days in Clones during the early/mid 70's. Played for Cross/Cuchulainns. As I recall played half-forward/Midfield and was well worth his place. Fairly sure he was involved in Ulster Final Against Derry in 75 or 76 which we lost after a replay. For some reason or other I think he was either lost to England or else used to commute home from England for matches, which wasn't totally unhdeard of at the time.

wouldn't bet my house on all of the above, the years plays tricks on the mind.

RIP and thanks for the good days.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Swadman

Quotereports that corlough have lost up to 7 players due to immigration... its championship though, so nothing can be taken for granted. its sad to see a club that doesnt have huge numbers anyway to take such a crippling blow.
Hi Guys, I'm back from hibernation mode now that most of the snow has melted off Cuilcagh. I don't think my neighbours' plight is as bad as the rumour suggests. They may be trying to lull you into "over-cocky" mode, Salmon of K. You were lucky you missed group 1.  :o
FYI: I am fairly sure that 2 teams go through from each group, so in a group of 3 there is the possibility of play-offs and therefore further fixture delays.
Let's pray for a dry summer.
Myles, you got the Death Group too but Co. Board has decided that there won't be any relegation from Intermediate or Senior for 2 years.  So no pressure, enjoy the experience and build on it.

gortnaleck

Donal passed away last year alright.I think he went to secondary school up north some where.As far as I know he was related to the Morgans who played for Cavan in the 40s. In Cavan he played with Cuchullains(sp).He lined out for Cavan in the 70s and would have been a wing half back in the Ulster Final of 1978 which Cavan lost to Down. He was a good lad RIP

cavan4ever

Quote from: RednBlack on February 11, 2009, 12:34:41 PM
Heard Mark McKeever got kicked off the panel. Anyone else hear this? Supposed to do with a day on the razz wearing County gear last weekend!!

Hope not but wouldnt suprise me.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: RednBlack on February 11, 2009, 12:34:41 PM
Heard Mark McKeever got kicked off the panel. Anyone else hear this? Supposed to do with a day on the razz wearing County gear last weekend!!
Any idea how reliable this rumour is RednBlack? I agee with C4E. Given both McKeever's history and that of Carr I wouldn't be surprised. If it's true (and I hope it's not) the silver lining might be the message sent to anybody else interested in it. I'm going to be optimistic and assume it's untrue for the minute.

Very interesting championship draws. A couple of questions for any of ye that might fill me in. What happens if one of the amalgamted teams gets relegated from senior. Will they play intermediate next year and would they be obliged to compete or could the amalgamation be scrapped if they so wished?

Also, is one of the amalgamtions Maghear/Muinterconnaught or Magher/Mountnugent? I wouldn't have thought either of these combined would be fit for senior level (no offence SOK).

Homer

Swadman mentioned it above but I had heard from a few others that there will be no relegation invloved in both Senior and Intermediate this year (Swadman also includes next year).

cavan4ever

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on February 11, 2009, 01:31:00 PM

Very interesting championship draws. A couple of questions for any of ye that might fill me in. What happens if one of the amalgamted teams gets relegated from senior. Will they play intermediate next year and would they be obliged to compete or could the amalgamation be scrapped if they so wished?

Also, is one of the amalgamtions Maghear/Muinterconnaught or Magher/Mountnugent? I wouldn't have thought either of these combined would be fit for senior level (no offence SOK).

Maghera/Munterconnaught wouldn't be fit for intermediate IMHO and  the West Cavan Clubs i dont know if they would be fit for senior.  

mylestheslasher

If McKeever was acting the bollox then he deserves to be given the boot. This year we got rid of Keoghan, got a decent manager and are trying to rebuild. It should have been a clean sheet for every player. It is very dissapointing if a player of McKeevers talents threw that away to go on the rip.

Celt_Man

Yea there is on relegation in senior or intermediate this year or next year. This will bring the number of teams up to 16 in both grades- handier for the 4 groups of 4 scenario.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavanmaniac

If it's true re: McKeever, it's a shame because he's a good player, but if he deserved it, then I applaud it.

We've carried too many slackers and wasters in the past to the long-term detriment of our prospects of ever getting back to some sort of respectability, and it has to stop if we are to have any sort of a foundation on which to build. Carr said as much in his first week about commitment and discipline, he flagged it up for all to see and he's now (if it's true) showing that he's consistent and not to be messed with in this regard. Hard decisions have to be taken and a line drawn in the sand on the sorry debacles of years past.

I'm not writing McKeever's epitaph prematurely here, I'm more making a general point.

cavan4ever

Right ladsIf its true will he be that much of a miss?

Has he performed to the levels of his early years in the past 2-3 years?

There is no doubt he would be a miss but i dont know if it that big.

Drung

He's no loss. He hasn't played a good game for Cavan since 2004, mainly because he hasn't dedicated himself to the cause for any manager bar Coleman. By the way, he wasn't the only Cavan player on the beer last Sunday!
I drove through Cavan Town and saw five players heading into the Imperial - how did I spot them? Every one was wearing Cavan gear and they were all full!
Also, one was singing and two were wrestling! My pasenger said to me "only in Cavan" and I had to agree.

Drung

Cavan Town was like a ghost town by the way, which made the Party Boys all the more noticeable.

mylestheslasher

I suppose in truth lads we don't know the full story so all this is speculation. But surely Carr must have a reason for putting McKeever of the panel - why else would he do it?
I was told once (don't know if its true) that the tyrone players are made fold up their jerseys and treat it with the utmost respect after games/training. I can buy into that as respect should be shown to your teams colours. When you wear the county gear you have an obligation to have a bit of manners. Falling around the street would not be acceptable to me if I were Cavan manager. A few pint in February would be ok but getting hammered definetely not. If thats harsh well I'm sure there'd be another lad willing to make that life choice and join the panel. No one is forced to play football after all.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 11, 2009, 04:14:45 PM
I suppose in truth lads we don't know the full story so all this is speculation. But surely Carr must have a reason for putting McKeever of the panel - why else would he do it?
I was told once (don't know if its true) that the tyrone players are made fold up their jerseys and treat it with the utmost respect after games/training. I can buy into that as respect should be shown to your teams colours. When you wear the county gear you have an obligation to have a bit of manners. Falling around the street would not be acceptable to me if I were Cavan manager. A few pint in February would be ok but getting hammered definetely not. If thats harsh well I'm sure there'd be another lad willing to make that life choice and join the panel. No one is forced to play football after all.

I agree with that Myles.  The players have to decide what they want and im sure they all said at the start of the year that they would follow whatever rules tommy set out for them or else they wouldn't be on the panel.  It not the first time this player has been dropped for similar either, but if their were other players "singing" and "wrestliing" around the streets on a Sunday night how can 1 player be singled out?