Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: cavan4sam on January 24, 2009, 01:00:25 PM
BHMan sorry for only getting back to you now re Sean Brady. To tell you the truth your guess is as good as mine with that man. it really is time for him to step up to the mark at seior inter county level, he has never done anything of note (although some seasons were ruined by injury) and this will be his sixth year on the panel. I think Sean is too lazy, Cavan had a meeting before the Armagh game last week and all players were supposed to be there college lads and all and there was no sign of Sean Brady or Dermot McCabe (there may have been others absent but i know those 2 for a fact). I think if he was dropped of the panel it might give him the kick up the arse he needs. Maybe then he might play a few games for us and get back to his best. In reality he hasn't played to his full potential for Castlerahan since we won the Intermediate in 2001 when he was outstanding, he was 16 for that whole championship apart from the 2 finals.

We had our first meeting with new manager Eamonn Barry on Sunday last and there was sign of Sean either, in fact only 17 turned up. Sean is undoubtedly a superb player, dont get me wrong, but I dont know if this will be his year, I hope he proves me wrong.

I know a lot of you will disagree with me on this point but I think Ronan Flanagan should be centre half back for Cavan. Ive seen so much of the lad and played with him often enough to know that his most effective position is at CHB. Some of you might think that he is not a stopper, which he isn't but his contribution from CHB is unbelievable. He has unbelievable vision and sees everything so quickly. I know a lot of you that were at the Kildare game last year think that Nicholas Walsh changed the game but in my opinion in was the move to put Ronan at CHB that changed it. If he has a flaw it is that he is too versatile and can paly as well at corner back as he could at corner forward. He needs to nail down a position.

I was going to make the trip to Drigheda tomorrow but i think i will watch it on the box instead. In all our conversation about midfielders I dont think we really mentioned that Cullivan has been playing there for DCU for the whole of the O'Byrne Cup and it will be interesting to see what Tomy Carrs plans are for him. In my opionion he is a bit too short to be a top class inter county midfielder but if you had Pierson and Johnston inside on their own and Cullivan lined out at 14 but brought out to play around the middle it would be interesting. Ill definitely be in Longford next Sunday, lets hope our boys get off to a winning start.

I agree C4S, Flanagan did swing the Kildare game more than Walsh. Walsh definitely spoiled everything that came his way at midfield and was a huge improvement as I've never seen a pair dominate that area as Kildare's two men did. But equally, McKeever was disgracefully bad that day at CHB and when Flanagan moved in there it coincided with Cavan getting a foothold.
I'd be happy to see him there for a few league games as his reading of the game can easily make up for his lack of stature. Put it this way, I'd prefer him there than Podge and definitely ahead of Chesty who would most likely step aside for a big man anyway. If Gaynor came back and got his game together then he's an obvious option but that's a very huge IF and not one we should be holding out for.
I'd say Cullivan would do us for wing-forward where he can add another pair of hands to our new look midfield. McCabe at full-forward, providing he's in some way mobile, is our best best IMO. Sean Brady for full back I say ;)

mylestheslasher

So are Sean Brady and McCabe training with the county if they are missing meetings?

I was reading in the gaelic life that Cavan and some other counties have hired John Maughan to train their Dublin based players. I think Mayo were one of the other teams. With so many players in Dublin you'd wonder how well that would work if Carr is working on tactics and the like. Maybe it is only for the pre season hard running stuff.

anglocelt39

The stories of the Late Eamon and Anthony G, bring tears to your eyes. Gave him his start at senior level as a 19 year old, you get the impression that Eamon was like a father trying to control an out of control son by times. I was at a game against Waterford in Dungarvan a few years ago when we absolutely hammered the Deise, it was embarrasing really, Despite the total mismatch it didn't stop Anthony getting involved in a running battle with his opposite number. Cue Eamon bursting a blood vessel from the sideline trying to get him to "Calm the !@#@#@ down.........", possibly not the best way to look for the desired effect but priceless in a way. Eventually the lad was subbed to a stream of invective from Wee Eamon.

We could run a separate thread in tribute to the departed Derry Man. I was at a League Match in Wexford Park in the piss pours of rain, the one year Trevor Crowe lined out. A narkier shower of feckers in the stands and on the sideling you would travel a good distance to come across. The agro was getting serious between the mentors and Paddy McNamee and Marty McIlkennon were showing themselves as well capable of holding the Breffni line. In the middle of the Shemozzle Eamon is roaring at the Wexford lads calling them "free state B@#tards". In the excitement I think he forgot that he was now in charge of a team of free state b@#@rds"
Thanks for the memories and hope the view is good from Heavens sidelines Eamon.

Boojangles was having a go here the other week about too many people being on the panel based on what they did at minor level. By the looks of it, seems that Sean Brady would be one case in point. He's been around the panel for the last 3/4 years without doing an awful lot. If he's not showing the interest at this stage might be time for a rest.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 25, 2009, 02:01:10 PM

Boojangles was having a go here the other week about too many people being on the panel based on what they did at minor level. By the looks of it, seems that Sean Brady would be one case in point. He's been around the panel for the last 3/4 years without doing an awful lot. If he's not showing the interest at this stage might be time for a rest.

What i heard of him last year he was well rested as he was always carrying a injury when it came to training and was lazy.  Maybe C4S can let us know if he is a good trainer from what i heard he isn't

BallyhaiseMan

Watched the DCU Louth game today,

we had Barry Watters(on programme at corner back but was dragged out)
Dermot Sheridan and Ronan Flanagan on the wings,
Ray Cullivan at midfield.

Barry Watters done well at times as did Rony Flanagan who got yellow carded in frustration near the end. Dermot Sheridan seemed to be doing a man marking job on Darren Clarke at least for the first half,made a few good blocks and interceptions,but had a tough time on the on-form Clarke.
Ray started well,kicked a good score and caught a couple but went out of the game after that,His marker Brian White had a great game. Disappointed with his performance.

Jelly came on,kicked a few frees and a lovely score from play,and lofted a high ball in for the goal.

so sign of Michael Lyng(injured???)

mylestheslasher

Jelly got t wo points from play. Both suberb. Ball into his chest, 1/2 steps and bang over the bar. One of the right and one of the left. I'd say he most of got 0-5 in half a game. I think Cullivan is too small for midfield and likewise Flanagan too small for ctr back. Shierdan got a bit of a roasting. Louth looked very fit. So much for no training in December. The same applies for Donegal who finished strong in extra time against Queens which makes me wonder how long they've been training.

Anyone hear about Cavan playing a challenge this weekend?

Celt_Man

Cavan beat wexford in a challenge on Saturday. Think it was 2-14 to 12 points. Larry and Tierney were supposed to be on fire, larry wit 5 and Tierney wit 1-3. Team was: Elliot; McCormack, dunne, fannin; McCutcheon, sean brady, Cahill; Podge, Gibney; Martin Reilly, Anton Reilly, McKeever; jayo, Tierney and Larry.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

Great to see that optimism has returned to the thread.

Saw the DCU game on TG4 and Louth were well worth their win.  At times it seemed like men against boys.

Looking at the game, I was thinking that DCU were a Cavan-lite team when I thought it was only Watters, Cullivan and Johnson.  Now it seems there were other cavanmen on the team.

I thought that Cullivan had a good first half but was a bit anonymous in the 2nd half.  Surprised to see Watters as a corner back but was thinking that maybe he was going to used like Ryan McMennamin of Tyrone.  He does play as a forward in Cavan (?) and it was a bit obvious when he tried to tackle.

Enough of the analysis, it is great that Cavanmen are getting lots of game and it can only be for their and our good.  Roll on assault on Division 3!
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavan4ever

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 26, 2009, 10:54:20 AM
Great to see that optimism has returned to the thread.

I thought that Cullivan had a good first half but was a bit anonymous in the 2nd half.  Surprised to see Watters as a corner back but was thinking that maybe he was going to used like Ryan McMennamin of Tyrone.  He does play as a forward in Cavan (?) and it was a bit obvious when he tried to tackle.

Enough of the analysis, it is great that Cavanmen are getting lots of game and it can only be for their and our good.  Roll on assault on Division 3!

He has played nearly all his club football in the forwards. The louth corner forward came out the field and that was probaly the reasons that watters was put there.  His attacking abilities would be stronger than his defensive ones.

cornafean

If there's anyone from Cornafean here, they might be interested in this article which appeared in the Sunday Indo yesterday.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/tradition-and-toil-keep-the-flame-alive-1614024.html

The print edition of the paper also contains a nice photo of Peadar McSeain, Sean Masterson and Pat Joe Brady along with a Cornafean jersey.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

cavan4ever

Found this on cavan gaa board, Cavan beat wexford 2-14 to 12 points. Larry and Tierney were supposed to be on fire, larry wit 5 and Tierney wit 1-3. Team was: Elliot; McCormack, dunne, fannin; McCutcheon, sean brady, Cahill; Podge, Gibney; Martin Reilly, Anton Reilly, McKeever; jayo, Tierney and Larry.

Will whoever posted this stop quoting this board on hoganstand. 

cavan4ever

Are most people heading to Longford on Sunday?

Who would you prefer to see in goals Ellliot or Fintan Reilly?

mylestheslasher

Hope to head over to longford. The person quoting you on hoganstand is probably just having a wee look in and not posting here. I'd say that the hoganstand admin will not let them print the URL of this site. I feel like that film "night of the living dead", we are all in the safe shopping mall of gaaboard and the zombies are outside in hoganstand trying to get in to eat our brains!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cornafean on January 26, 2009, 12:56:14 PM
If there's anyone from Cornafean here, they might be interested in this article which appeared in the Sunday Indo yesterday.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/tradition-and-toil-keep-the-flame-alive-1614024.html

The print edition of the paper also contains a nice photo of Peadar McSeain, Sean Masterson and Pat Joe Brady along with a Cornafean jersey.

I doubt they are looking in, I'd say your the only one with internet access out there in Redland. ;)

From the article....

"Some fine players came from the outskirts, from Killeshandra and Arvagh, to play for the Reds in those days of plenty because they had a senior team and it offered blow-ins a route to the county team"

To name a few "blow ins" from Killeshandra,
Big Tom
John Joe
Tommy Connolly
Packie Phair
Packie Devlin

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 26, 2009, 06:50:20 PM
Hope to head over to longford. The person quoting you on hoganstand is probably just having a wee look in and not posting here. I'd say that the hoganstand admin will not let them print the URL of this site. I feel like that film "night of the living dead", we are all in the safe shopping mall of gaaboard and the zombies are outside in hoganstand trying to get in to eat our brains!

:D