Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Anglo Celt mentioned your clubmate Sean Brady C4Sam,
id hope this would be the year that he cements his starting place on the county team,we all know of his undoubted ability.
Id like to see him tried at Centre Half Back.

cavan4ever

BallyhaiseMan

well after last year, its the only way it could head  :-[

anglocelt39

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 23, 2009, 07:33:14 PM
Anglo Celt mentioned your clubmate Sean Brady C4Sam,
id hope this would be the year that he cements his starting place on the county team,we all know of his undoubted ability.
Id like to see him tried at Centre Half Back.

Where would you position Mark McKeever BHM. I still think back to that day against Armagh when McKenna got sent off in the first minute (was it 04?). I think Mckeever was drafted into the centre in the re-organising that went on. I though the was awesome that day. But I suppose there's a lot of water under the bridge since then and he's been chopped and changed a good bit since.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Drung

I thought he played as a conventional wing-forward that day?

Could be wrong though...

Jesus he was class that year. Unreal against Derry too.

BallyhaiseMan

He scored a couple of unreal points against Derry,
If it had been Maurice Fitzgerald or the Gooch who scored them,people countrywide would still be raving about them.
For all Marks qualities,His one weakness is speed,he doesnt have blazing speed,Himself and Ronan Flanagan are two similar and somewhat interchangeable players players,outstanding on the ball,tough as nails,but both lack pure speed and both can play either a half back or forward.
Any coach will tell you your fastest men on the team should be your backs,Dont know with the way the game is going whether we can afford both Flanagan and McKeever in the backline.
id have Mark as a wing forward.

Ray Cullivan Michael Lyng Mark McKeever

Sean Johnston Dermot McCabe Gerard Pierson

everyone fit that would be my forward line.

anglocelt39

I'm not sure where McKeever ended up that day, I thought Trevor Crowe was moved out to the middle after McKenna was sent off and McKeever was drafted back, I just remember being awe struck by this 19 year old barrelling into Armagh men without fear or favour, and that's without even thinking of the points which others have mentioned. Other memories of that day were a fired up Ger Pierson and McCabe patrolling midfield on one leg-the common theme of course being Gowna and the late Eamon Coleman, interesting indeed. That year can possibly go down as a massive missed opportunity-Crowes one and only year, Lyng and Gaynor plucked from minor level and doing some serious stuff. Eamon RIP had his faults but christ he showed that we have the players to do the business if there is a bit of belief instilled. Over to Mr. Carr.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 23, 2009, 11:11:18 PM
I'm not sure where McKeever ended up that day, I thought Trevor Crowe was moved out to the middle after McKenna was sent off and McKeever was drafted back, I just remember being awe struck by this 19 year old barrelling into Armagh men without fear or favour, and that's without even thinking of the points which others have mentioned. Other memories of that day were a fired up Ger Pierson and McCabe patrolling midfield on one leg-the common theme of course being Gowna and the late Eamon Coleman, interesting indeed. That year can possibly go down as a massive missed opportunity-Crowes one and only year, Lyng and Gaynor plucked from minor level and doing some serious stuff. Eamon RIP had his faults but christ he showed that we have the players to do the business if there is a bit of belief instilled. Over to Mr. Carr.

best memory of that year for me was against Derry. Anthony Gaynor lost the head momentarily as he was getting a hard time with Johnny McBride, and wee Eamon goes mental with him,all you could see from the terrace was them going at verbally,
And the Cavan and Derry fans in stitches.  ;D

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 23, 2009, 11:15:44 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 23, 2009, 11:11:18 PM

best memory of that year for me was against Derry. Anthony Gaynor lost the head momentarily as he was getting a hard time with Johnny McBride, and wee Eamon goes mental with him,all you could see from the terrace was them going at verbally,
And the Cavan and Derry fans in stitches.  ;D

Pierson nearly chipping Hearty with Cavan leading by 2 points and time nearly up :(

mylestheslasher

I'm fairly sure he played at ctr back after Crowe went to mid field. He went ploughing into armagh men that day like they were minors. Its amazing what lads can do when they have nothing to lose.

As for the Gaynor, coleman spat. That was nothing compared to the U21 final when Gaynor got sent off. I was sitting behind the Cavan dug out and coleman went absolutley bananas with gaynor. Called him every sort of a c*nt that ever walked. It was awful funny. Gaynor looked totally shell shocked :D

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Drung on January 23, 2009, 07:25:35 PM
QuoteIt was at one stage something of an in-joke on the team

If we're going to repeat every "in-joke" we hear then we'll be here a long time.

Being an 'in-joke' doesn't mean it wasn't being said, by an actual team mate of his, do you think I just made it up for the craic? Like I said, I hope he comes on strong, literally. Nobody could but be pleased to see a big and somewhat mobile man operating effectively around the middle for Cavan.
Btw, I think it was Tommy Carr that was quoted about him being a good bit fitter than most others on the team. Anyway, I don't want it to sound like I'm against the lad, I just have my doubts, but players can up their game and I hope my doubts are unfounded.

ac is a man after my own heart with that observation about how the Gowna lads were running through walls for Coleman. It just shows there is potential there if the right man instills the right attitude (and don't bother wading in Max we don't want to hear it). That was the last time Cavan really looked like doing something although the following year took us to Rd 4 of the qualifiers I think we were slipping back into bad habits.

Jesus don't remind me of the game against Derry. I have the video of it here - two balls I think dropped into the goalkeeper's arms in the dying moments and the scores level (I'd rather see a ball blazed wide than that) one of them from Jayo, can't recall the other. And then we were shot to ribbons in extra time. Another galling loss to Derry, by Jesus they've made us pay for '97.

Myles was that U21 game against Down, went to extra time? I recall it clearly. Coleman went f**king postal altogether after he got the line, in fairness he was a candidate for a red all match and Coleman was at his wits' end trying to keep him in check, he just went ape when Gaynor inevitably let his hot head ruin things.

Ach let the games begin then we can really start talking. Who's heading Longford?

tierworker blue

I'm heading anyhoo. Other stuff goin' down over the last few weeks meant that I did'nt get to any mc Kenna cup games and I'm itching for the league to start!
For the first time in years I have the feeling we're on the road back to something decent. The last eejit set us back years, and it'll take time to build a proper foundation but with the right set up and a reinstilled sense of belief (that has been lacking for far too long...the psychological side is as important an element as anything imo) it'll not be long before we're compeditive again methinks.
I feel a change in the air...nothing like a new beginning to shake things up, eh?!
You may change that tagline Cavanmaniac...it's safe to wake up...the year of the idiot is over!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: tierworker blue on January 24, 2009, 02:18:58 AM

I'm heading anyhoo. Other stuff goin' down over the last few weeks meant that I did'nt get to any mc Kenna cup games and I'm itching for the league to start!
For the first time in years I have the feeling we're on the road back to something decent. The last eejit set us back years, and it'll take time to build a proper foundation but with the right set up and a reinstilled sense of belief (that has been lacking for far too long...the psychological side is as important an element as anything imo) it'll not be long before we're compeditive again methinks.
I feel a change in the air...nothing like a new beginning to shake things up, eh?!
You may change that tagline Cavanmaniac...it's safe to wake up...the year of the idiot is over!
I'll be there too. Only saw the Queens game which was depressing. But I have my season ticket ordered. Did any of the rest of ye invest in one? Anyone heading to cheer on our boys in Drogheda tomorrow

cavan4sam

BHMan sorry for only getting back to you now re Sean Brady. To tell you the truth your guess is as good as mine with that man. it really is time for him to step up to the mark at seior inter county level, he has never done anything of note (although some seasons were ruined by injury) and this will be his sixth year on the panel. I think Sean is too lazy, Cavan had a meeting before the Armagh game last week and all players were supposed to be there college lads and all and there was no sign of Sean Brady or Dermot McCabe (there may have been others absent but i know those 2 for a fact). I think if he was dropped of the panel it might give him the kick up the arse he needs. Maybe then he might play a few games for us and get back to his best. In reality he hasn't played to his full potential for Castlerahan since we won the Intermediate in 2001 when he was outstanding, he was 16 for that whole championship apart from the 2 finals.

We had our first meeting with new manager Eamonn Barry on Sunday last and there was sign of Sean either, in fact only 17 turned up. Sean is undoubtedly a superb player, dont get me wrong, but I dont know if this will be his year, I hope he proves me wrong.

I know a lot of you will disagree with me on this point but I think Ronan Flanagan should be centre half back for Cavan. Ive seen so much of the lad and played with him often enough to know that his most effective position is at CHB. Some of you might think that he is not a stopper, which he isn't but his contribution from CHB is unbelievable. He has unbelievable vision and sees everything so quickly. I know a lot of you that were at the Kildare game last year think that Nicholas Walsh changed the game but in my opinion in was the move to put Ronan at CHB that changed it. If he has a flaw it is that he is too versatile and can paly as well at corner back as he could at corner forward. He needs to nail down a position.

I was going to make the trip to Drigheda tomorrow but i think i will watch it on the box instead. In all our conversation about midfielders I dont think we really mentioned that Cullivan has been playing there for DCU for the whole of the O'Byrne Cup and it will be interesting to see what Tomy Carrs plans are for him. In my opionion he is a bit too short to be a top class inter county midfielder but if you had Pierson and Johnston inside on their own and Cullivan lined out at 14 but brought out to play around the middle it would be interesting. Ill definitely be in Longford next Sunday, lets hope our boys get off to a winning start.

The Forfeit Point

you shouldnt have any fears cavan4sam, ye will get your winning start! in tatters at the moment, dont seem to be able to pull together a decent club team!