Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Fair point Cavan4Ever, hard to see him not being there unless he decides to go travelling or some such, hope not. Any chance Flanagan might end up in defence which is where he's operating with DCU, gives you one more space to fill in the forwards
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 19, 2009, 08:42:11 PM
Fair point Cavan4Ever, hard to see him not being there unless he decides to go travelling or some such, hope not. Any chance Flanagan might end up in defence which is where he's operating with DCU, gives you one more space to fill in the forwards

Id say Flanagan prob will play in defence.  If everyone stays fit there should be a good forward line and half back line.  Midfield will be weak and we all know the problems in the full back line.

Mr. Pain

Call him Mr. Raider call him Mr. Wrong
Call him Mr. Pain
Call him Mr. Pain
He'd say: I know what I want
and I want a row
I want you cause I'm Mr. Pain
I know what I want and I want a row

No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

North Longford

Quotehe interesting league opener across the border in Longford.

On our side of the border I would say the main interest is actually what 15 Longford will have.
For some strange reason despite the acquisition of Glen Ryan things seem to have gone a bit belly up.
The 20+ point hammering by Louth does not tell a lie with the amount of players missing for various reasons and Ryan has said he is going to continue to use the league to experiment.
The depth of talent in Longford football does not allow for much valid experimentation.
The list below are the players who played for Longford in the championship last year.
None of those in bold are likely to be playing against Cavan and its probably true to say if you were asked to name the 5 best players in Longford most of them would come form these. I fear a hiding!!

D Sheridan;  - Injured longterm
D Brady,
N Farrell,
C Conefrey;  - retired
S Mulligan,  - currently not available

A O'Connor,
DC O'Reilly; - currently not available
L Keenan, - Injured longterm

P Dowd (0-02); - injured
D Farrell,
P Barden (0-02), - injured
D Masterson;
F McGee (0-04, 1f),
P Berry,
B Kavanagh (0-03, 2f). - currently not available
K Mulligan,
P Foy 
James Martin (0-3, 2f), currently not available
David Barden  - injured

Celt_Man

Quote from: Mr. Pain on January 19, 2009, 11:07:39 PM
Call him Mr. Pain
Call him Mr. Pain
and I want a row

What sort of gobshite are ya?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 20, 2009, 07:48:16 PM
Quote from: Mr. Pain on January 19, 2009, 11:07:39 PM
Call him Mr. Pain
Call him Mr. Pain
and I want a row

What sort of gobshite are ya?

:D :D :D

Mr. Pain

Celt Man, Mr. Pain was trying to lighten up the site a little bit. You are now on Mr. Pain's hitlist and off his Christmas card list! You think you know pain?
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

cavanmaniac

Jesus North Longford, that looks like a fairly thorough emptying of the can.

I can see Ryan's reasons though, if there are so many not available along with the fact that he's a new man in an unfamiliar county, he has little choice but to experiment if it's only to confirm that the talent is not there. How many of the Leinster minor side from a few years back actually came through?

North Longford

QuoteHow many of the Leinster minor side from a few years back actually came through

From Last years championship........

N Farrell,
S Mulligan,  - currently not available
DC O'Reilly; - currently not available
D Farrell,

plus Enda Williams who was injured for the championship last year.
I suppose 1/3 is not too bad if they were all still available.

The following years minor team was possible even better but got beaten by Louth in the 1st round.
They subsequently were very unlucky to lose a leinster U21 final to laois and would have added the following to last years team

P Dowd (0-02); - injured
D Masterson;
F McGee (0-04, 1f),
P Berry,
B Kavanagh (0-03, 2f). - currently not available
P Foy

and the following from the same team are also on the panel this year

B Gilleran,
B McElvaney
K Smith,
C Flynn (59).

plus shane Mulligan and Noel farrel were underage for the second year.

So the 2003 minor team/2006 U21 team has contributed 12 to the panel which is way above average i'd say.

Drung

Classic stuff on Hogan stand today...

Point 1 : its called sarcasim! I know u ballyhaise people dont have much of a sense of humor,but come on-try to smile once in a while or ar you in a thick mood looking towards as quoted "another unsuccessful slog in division 2"?
Point 2 :This is a message board for comments! its not an spelling competition!
Point 3 :All my medals I won-I played for all them every match leading to the final and including the final-just shows how much you know!

Point 3 to lighten up your humor-Did you hear of the Ballyhaise Bra?....All support and no cup!!

Point 3 in twice. Brilliant.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Drung on January 22, 2009, 02:56:50 PM
Classic stuff on Hogan stand today...

Point 1 : its called sarcasim! I know u ballyhaise people dont have much of a sense of humor,but come on-try to smile once in a while or ar you in a thick mood looking towards as quoted "another unsuccessful slog in division 2"?
Point 2 :This is a message board for comments! its not an spelling competition!
Point 3 :All my medals I won-I played for all them every match leading to the final and including the final-just shows how much you know!

Point 3 to lighten up your humor-Did you hear of the Ballyhaise Bra?....All support and no cup!!

Point 3 in twice. Brilliant.

Sweet mother of god let this cretin never find this board.

cavan4ever

:D :D :D  It gets better and better.  That place should be closed down or else a age limit but on it on sign-up.  Thats persuming that they are kids if there not god help them.

anglocelt39

Hogan Stand, some good posts and posters, it's a pity that you have to wade through some desperate dross to get there. Interestingly though, about a year ago a certain visitor to this thread had to effectively re-sit his/her admission exam to Hogan Stand when the other posters ganged up on said person for the particularly inane nature of material posted. Some achievement or what.

T Carr maintaining a fair media presence anyway, hope it's still going on in July. Look forward to Longford in just over a week. So the two problem positions-fullback-in common with every County in the Country. Secondly midfield, are things getting a bit more promising there-Walsh if he can remain injury free, the Galligan lad seems to have started well and is getting stuck in which would not have been a huge trait, McCabe (?), Ray Cullivan is playing there with DCU might be an option. Final comment/question, can anybody update on Sean Brady, unless I'm mistaken he won a County medal in Dublin playing midfield for UCD a few years ago and was highly rated which seemed promising-injuries, loss of interest or something else? Thanks for any help on this one.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

Are the new rules going to be in place for the championship?

Drung

Quotethe Galligan lad seems to have started well and is getting stuck in which would not have been a huge trait

Seeing as you have said "seems", I take it you haven't seen any matches so far this year.

How many times have you seen Galligan play?