Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavan4ever on January 09, 2009, 01:10:57 PM
Would it be that Mullen lad Celt man?

No although Mark Mullen would be a candidate for the U 21s definitely, the other two I meant to say earlier should be very close to if not on the team.
Quote from: boojangles on January 09, 2009, 01:56:19 PM
Thats exactly what Im trying to get at,I hate selfish players and it drives me even more insane when I see them getting recognised as being Star men and all that.But at times I wonder whether you'd be better off being a selfish player in this County because thats all anybody
seems to recognise. Not too many people can pick out a player like the one you describe Celt man.But thats not to say there isnt a man who can do the job,but it definitely couldnt be given to any tom,dick or harry.
Like Cootehill for instance,Colm Smith-loads of ability and a great left foot but very selfish and wouldnt have a great work rate.yet he is seen as your star forward.Typical Cavan.

I agree whole heartily with ya but again look at the people who would have the power to appoint a person to this position... personally I don't think the present county board could run water, never mind a complex organisation like a modern day county board.  Gone are the days when anyone can hold a poistion at the top table - without sitting on the fence some people just aren't qualified to do the job properly.  The county board should be run like a medium sized business and have the right people at the top to administer it too.  The current co board would give that job if it ever existed to someone already in the scene (one of the good old boys), you know the kind, doing the rounds with coaching jobs with the county and doubling up being over teams as well i.e. someone who shouldn't get it.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 09, 2009, 03:35:11 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on January 09, 2009, 01:10:57 PM
Would it be that Mullen lad Celt man?

No although Mark Mullen would be a candidate for the U 21s definitely, the other two I meant to say earlier should be very close to if not on the team.
Quote from: boojangles on January 09, 2009, 01:56:19 PM
Thats exactly what Im trying to get at,I hate selfish players and it drives me even more insane when I see them getting recognised as being Star men and all that.But at times I wonder whether you'd be better off being a selfish player in this County because thats all anybody
seems to recognise. Not too many people can pick out a player like the one you describe Celt man.But thats not to say there isnt a man who can do the job,but it definitely couldnt be given to any tom,dick or harry.
Like Cootehill for instance,Colm Smith-loads of ability and a great left foot but very selfish and wouldnt have a great work rate.yet he is seen as your star forward.Typical Cavan.

I agree whole heartily with ya but again look at the people who would have the power to appoint a person to this position... personally I don't think the present county board could run water, never mind a complex organisation like a modern day county board.  Gone are the days when anyone can hold a poistion at the top table - without sitting on the fence some people just aren't qualified to do the job properly.  The county board should be run like a medium sized business and have the right people at the top to administer it too.  The current co board would give that job if it ever existed to someone already in the scene (one of the good old boys), you know the kind, doing the rounds with coaching jobs with the county and doubling up being over teams as well i.e. someone who shouldn't get it.
I know what ya mean.Politics plays a big part in the running of football in this county,be it the administration end of things or the picking of teams and that is another big problem hindering us. Id have damn all trust in the County Board and you'l be pleased to hear Celt man that it will probably get worse as regards giving jobs out to the boys.There are now only 6 County Board meetings a year after this years convention which means most of the Officers in there will be basically making decisions without consulting the clubs.
Would you have any ideas for a man that could fill that role?
On another point Celt man,I seen yas a few times this year,What age is that McCrudden lad Gary is it,he impressed me against Killinkere.is he underage for Under 21?

anglocelt39

Hiya lads, agree with most of your heartfelt comments about favouritism, fellas being overlooked if they have not made it at underage level, fellas being overlooked if they are not flash harry's etc. etc. However I think the answer at each level of County team (Minor, under 21 and senior) is a bit simpler than ye are making out i.e. Bossman and selectors to get off their holes, attend games, form their own conclusions and take no shite from so called movers and shakers on the County board.

example of same-Marty McHugh-anthony forde and Jason Reilly didn;t play minor football for Cavan (might stand corrected on Jayo, it's a fact re. Forde. Marty also didn't go for the flash harry all the time, more the bloke who could do a very specific job (Shiels, Cunningham) Didn't take shite either-Butt. We're a pretty small enough county, it shouldn't take a massive infrastructure to uncover the real talent-it will take a bit of application, real appreciation of what is required and a tendency not to take too much shite from people .
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on January 09, 2009, 07:26:55 PM
Would you have any ideas for a man that could fill that role?
On another point Celt man,I seen yas a few times this year,What age is that McCrudden lad Gary is it,he impressed me against Killinkere.is he underage for Under 21?

No idea, someone without an agenda or prejudice against any clubs??? Does such a man exist??  Ehh Gary is 23 sometime this year but I could never see him going for the county anytime soon, just wouldn't have the interest to commit it.

Drung

QuoteLike Cootehill for instance,Colm Smith-loads of ability and a great left foot but very selfish and wouldnt have a great work rate.yet he is seen as your star forward.

Colm Smith is Cootehill's best forward.

tierworker blue

Did'nt make it to Casement today...Anyone at it? Any ska?

cavan4ever

Quote from: tierworker blue on January 11, 2009, 11:31:24 PM
Did'nt make it to Casement today...Anyone at it? Any ska?

I wouldn't think their were to many at it.  Doesn't seem to be any reports knockng about either.

mylestheslasher

Didn't go up myself but I thought someone on here was going to make the trip (Ballyhaiseman?). Couldn't get Northern Sound working on the old pc either - although that was probably a blessing in disguise.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 12, 2009, 09:22:52 AM
Didn't go up myself but I thought someone on here was going to make the trip (Ballyhaiseman?). Couldn't get Northern Sound working on the old pc either - although that was probably a blessing in disguise.

Tried that myself they are a disaster.

Celt_Man

Just heard the team that's all.... Fintan Reilly between the sticks, McCormack, Podge and Martin Cahill; McCutchen, Dane O'Dowd and Gunner in the Half backs; Galligan and Walshe in the middle, Mackey, Anton Reilly and Mad Edward, Gumley, Gibney and Pierson in the FF line.  Heard Galligan and someone else got yellows, galligan was also captain. And I believe the bould Larry make an appearance...

Quote from: Drung on January 11, 2009, 09:54:53 PM
QuoteLike Cootehill for instance,Colm Smith-loads of ability and a great left foot but very selfish and wouldnt have a great work rate.yet he is seen as your star forward.

Colml is definitely Cootehill's best scoring forward and that's not always the same thing as a team's best forward...

cavan4ever

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 12, 2009, 11:00:42 AM
Just heard the team that's all.... Fintan Reilly between the sticks, McCormack, Podge and Martin Cahill; McCutchen, Dane O'Dowd and Gunner(0-1) in the Half backs; Galligan and Walshe(0-1) in the middle, Mackey, Anton Reilly and Mad Edward, Gumley(1-3), Gibney and Pierson(0-1) in the FF line.  Heard Galligan and someone else got yellows, galligan was also captain. And I believe the bould Larry make an appearance...Jason also scored a point.  Cavan only scored 3 points in second half.  Got the scorers from the star don't remember the rest.

Quote from: Drung on January 11, 2009, 09:54:53 PM

Colml is definitely Cootehill's best scoring forward and that's not always the same thing as a team's best forward...

Homer

Didn't make it up myself as I was struck down with the dreaded man-flu all weekend.

From Northern Sound I could tell...

Dane O'Dowd seemed to have a good game.
Ciaran Galligan was also said to be playing well up til his dismissal (yellow card)
Martin Cahill was the other player to leave the pitch with a yellow card
Nicolas Walsh went in and out of the game
Gibney made some great catches inside and set-up a lot of scores
LARRY is back!

cavan4ever

Quote from: Homer on January 12, 2009, 11:09:35 AM
Didn't make it up myself as I was struck down with the dreaded man-flu all weekend.

Anyone who travelled up there would need their head examined especially if they were in Breffini the week before. 
It seems like it was an improvement anyway.  Looking forward to the Armagh game next weekend.

Homer

Also I heard the u21s ran out 5 point winners over Longford at the weekend in the Hastings Cup. Didn't hear teams or anything else though.

mylestheslasher

Tommy Carr celebrated his first win as manager of Cavan when the Breffni County came away from Casement Park with a hard-fought two-point win over a dogged Antrim side.

The strong breeze blowing from the M1 end of the ground ensured that the football wasn't going to be pretty and while Carr's side scored just three second-half points, they just about deserved their victory.

Antrim, also under new management in the shape of Liam Bradley, will rue a number of missed chances. Corner-forward Ciaran Close and midfielder Michael McCann had gilt-edged opportunities to find the net -- one in each half -- but on both occasions goalkeeper Fintan Reilly saved brilliantly.

The game's only goal came through Cavan's Paddy Gumley, who fired past John Finucane on 22 minutes in the middle of a 1-3 burst without reply for the visitors, after which they led by 1-5 to 0-2.

Six minutes later, Ger Pearson added a point to give Cavan a seven-point cushion, but Antrim replied with points from McCann, Aodhan Gallagher and Close to trail 1-8 to 0-7 at the break.

The home side continued to enjoy plenty of possession after the restart, but were simply not clinical enough in front of the posts. However, they stuck to their task and chipped away at the Cavan lead, cutting the deficit to two points through McCann on 53 minutes.

Close saw his goalbound shot saved when one-on-one with the goalie before Pearson and Eddie O'Reilly gave Cavan breathing space.

Close added his sixth point of the day in injury-time and sub Colm Fleming completed the scoring with a great effort with his first touch of the day, but Cavan held out for a deserved win - much to the relief of Carr.

<>Scorers -- Cavan: P Gumley 1-3 (0-2f, 0-1 '45), E O'Reilly 0-3, G Pearson 0-2, P Brady, N Walsh, J O'Reilly 0-1 each. Antrim: C Close 0-6, M McCann 0-3 (0- 2f), A Gallagher, K Brady, C Fleming 0-1 each.

Cavan -- F Reilly; M Cahill, P Reilly, E McCormack; P Brady, D O'Dowd, J McCutcheon; C Gallagher, N Walsh; C Mackey, A Reilly, E O'Reilly; P Gumley, D Givney, G Pearson. Subs: J O'Reilly for Gumley, L Reilly for Gallagher (yellow card), J Clarke for A Reilly, J Crowe for Brady, Gumley for Cahill.

Antrim -- J Finucane; C Maxwell, S McVeigh, A Douglas; T Scullion, P Carey, L Carlin; M McCann, B Hasson; A Gallagher, K Brady, D McAlernon; C Close, D Graham, G McAleese. Subs: K Cunningham for Douglas, D Edwards for Graham, N O;Connell for McAleese, C Creaney (yellow card) for D McAlernon, K McGlinchey for Hasson, C Fleming for Creaney.

Ref -- C Branagan (Down)