Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babe Ruth 47

Was hoping to go alright, what time is throw in?

BallyhaiseMan

Its on Sunday at 2pm lads??? or so i believe.

Babe Ruth 47

Was looking at the fixtures that are on the Gaelic Life Website, It says it is on Wed the 9th of Jan at 8pm. By my reconing wednesday does not fall on the 9th till 2013. Thats gonna make some balls of the fixtures shedule. They are going to have to hold up the All Ireland for some McKenna cup game thats not on for 4 years :)
Seriously though, any one confirm when it is on? Have to head up that end of the country tomorrow any way but was planning to hit the road soon and watch the match?

Babe Ruth 47

Found a correct version:

2009 Dr McKenna Cup

All Sunday games at 2pm: All midweek and Saturday games at 7.30pm

(Extra time must be played in Semi finals & Final)

Saturday January 3

Cavan v Queens at Cavan

Sunday January 4

Roinn 1

Section A

Fermanagh v Derry at Enniskillen

UUJ v Donegal at Ballybofey

Section B

Tyrone v Monaghan at Omagh (Date TBC)

St Mary's v Down at Newry

Section C

Armagh v Antrim at Armagh

Sunday January 11

Round 2

Section A

Derry v UUJ at Ballinascreen

Donegal v Fermanagh at Ballyshannon

Section B

Monaghan v St Mary's at Emyvale

Down v Tyrone at Newry

Section C

Antrim v Cavan at Casement Park

Queens v Armagh at Armagh

Wednesday January 14

Round 3

Section A

Fermanagh v UUJ at Enniskillen

Derry v Donegal at (TBC)

Section B

Tyrone v St Mary's at Omagh

Monaghan v Down at Inniskeen

Section C

Armagh v Cavan at Cavan

Antrim v Queen's at Casement Park

Wednesday January 21

Semi Finals:

(1) C v B

(2) A v 4th Placed Team

Sunday January 24

Final

1 v 2

Homer

From The Hoganstand...

Under 21s crash to defeat against Rossies
07 January 2009

Cavan 0-7
Roscommon 3-13

Cavan's Under 21's suffered a heavy defeat in the preparations for their new season last Saturday as they fell victim to Roscommon by a massive 15 points at St Aidan's, Templeport in the Hastings Cup.

In fairness to the hosts, they were came up against a Roscommon side in which many of their players would have been part of the minor side that captured the All-Ireland Minor Championship in 2006 without the likes of Rory Dunne, Dane O'Dowd, Barry Watters, Eugene Keating and Conor Smith due to college commitments.

It was Cavan who opened the score after three minutes though, when Cavan Gaels attacker slipped Declan McKiernan inside for a point. Donal Shine cancelled that out for the visitors, but a 30 metre free from Mark Cunningham got the young Breffni men back in front.

The Rossies replied in the best possible fashion when Fintan Cregg crept through to force a good save off Mark Clarke in the Cavan goal and was quickest to the rebound to net his side in front.

A long range free from Shine was met by some accurate kicks from Dunne, but it was Roscommon that would lead at the interval by 1-5 to 0-4.

After the game's resumption, the leaders had put the difference to seven Shine (2) and David O'Gara undoing the Cavan defence before McKiernan and Dunne kept Tommy Carr's side in the chase with a white flag each.

Time was running out on Cavan though and when Kevin Higgins popped up with a superb point at the last quarter it looked as though Roscommon were on their way. Two minutes later Higgins tapped in a goal after a mistake from Cavan's sub 'keeper Brian Coleman.

The half-forward would get his second before the game was out to ensure that a 15-point defeat would be endured by the home side before the full-time whistle sounded.

Cavan - Mark Clarke; Niall O'Reilly, Tomas O'Reilly, Joshua Hayes; Declan Meehan, Damien Reilly, Oisin Minagh; Daniel O'Hara, James McEnroe; Mark Cunningham (0-1), Declan Costello, Declan McKiernan (0-3); Adrian Cole, Enda McHugh, Martin Dunne (0-3). Subs: Stefan Connolly, Raymond Farrelly, John Sheridan, Brian Coleman, Levi Murphy.

Roscommon - Mark Miley; Paul Gleeson, Neil Collins, Peter Domican; Donal Ward (0-2), David Flynn, Colm Garvey; Donal Shine (0-5), David Keenan; Fintan Cregg (1-0), Paul Garvey (0-1), Kevin Higgins (2-1); Conor Devaney (0-1), Mark Laughlin (0-1), David O'Gara. Subs: James McKeague, Keith Waldron (0-1), Ger Brady, Eamonn Bannon, Alan O'Hara.

boojangles

Quote from: Homer on January 07, 2009, 04:28:15 PM
From The Hoganstand...

07 January 2009

Cavan 0-7
Roscommon 3-13

Cavan's Under 21's suffered a heavy defeat in the preparations for their new season last Saturday as they fell victim to Roscommon by a massive 15 points at St Aidan's, Templeport in the Hastings Cup.

In fairness to the hosts, they were came up against a Roscommon side in which many of their players would have been part of the minor side that captured the All-Ireland Minor Championship in 2006 without the likes of Rory Dunne, Dane O'Dowd, Barry Watters, Eugene Keating and Conor Smith due to college commitments.

It was Cavan who opened the score after three minutes though, when Cavan Gaels attacker slipped Declan McKiernan inside for a point. Donal Shine cancelled that out for the visitors, but a 30 metre free from Mark Cunningham got the young Breffni men back in front.

The Rossies replied in the best possible fashion when Fintan Cregg crept through to force a good save off Mark Clarke in the Cavan goal and was quickest to the rebound to net his side in front.

A long range free from Shine was met by some accurate kicks from Dunne, but it was Roscommon that would lead at the interval by 1-5 to 0-4.

After the game's resumption, the leaders had put the difference to seven Shine (2) and David O'Gara undoing the Cavan defence before McKiernan and Dunne kept Tommy Carr's side in the chase with a white flag each.

Time was running out on Cavan though and when Kevin Higgins popped up with a superb point at the last quarter it looked as though Roscommon were on their way. Two minutes later Higgins tapped in a goal after a mistake from Cavan's sub 'keeper Brian Coleman.

The half-forward would get his second before the game was out to ensure that a 15-point defeat would be endured by the home side before the full-time whistle sounded.

Cavan - Mark Clarke; Niall O'Reilly, Tomas O'Reilly, Joshua Hayes; Declan Meehan, Damien Reilly, Oisin Minagh; Daniel O'Hara, James McEnroe; Mark Cunningham (0-1), Declan Costello, Declan McKiernan (0-3); Adrian Cole, Enda McHugh, Martin Dunne (0-3). Subs: Stefan Connolly, Raymond Farrelly, John Sheridan, Brian Coleman, Levi Murphy.

Roscommon - Mark Miley; Paul Gleeson, Neil Collins, Peter Domican; Donal Ward (0-2), David Flynn, Colm Garvey; Donal Shine (0-5), David Keenan; Fintan Cregg (1-0), Paul Garvey (0-1), Kevin Higgins (2-1); Conor Devaney (0-1), Mark Laughlin (0-1), David O'Gara. Subs: James McKeague, Keith Waldron (0-1), Ger Brady, Eamonn Bannon, Alan O'Hara.

I like to keep myself up to date with most underage players coming through but can anybody tell me what clubs the lads in bold play for?
Thtas not a strong Cavan outfit by any stretch of the imagination while Roscommon have a few Senior players,I wouldnt be too worried by this TBH.we have alot of strong footballers to come back to that panel.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Although I understand those that say "don't be so negative so early", I would agree with Boojangles' comments re the senior panel but would also mention that I know of one player who should at least be on the U-21 panel. He came home from college two weekends in a row for the Development games only to be told they were postponed and so gave up after that due to exam pressures.
Then despite two of his club-mates being called up for the U-21s he received no call-up despite being at least as good and in fact a more consistent performer. The difference between him and the other two is that they were county minors two years ago and so have been seen by most with any interest in the inter-county scene.
It begs the question of how much scouting is done for underage players or is it just a case of bringing through members of previous U-16 and minor panels.
This one individual has played for his club since he was 16 and has been consistently outstanding but hasn't had the exposure of many others. So when are the likes of Peter Reilly or Tommy Carr supposed to have seen him?
I'm sure there are plenty of others in similar boats.
But as Mr. Pain says, rant over.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on January 07, 2009, 06:03:37 PM
Quote from: Homer on January 07, 2009, 04:28:15 PM
From The Hoganstand...

07 January 2009

Cavan 0-7
Roscommon 3-13

I like to keep myself up to date with most underage players coming through but can anybody tell me what clubs the lads in bold play for?
Thtas not a strong Cavan outfit by any stretch of the imagination while Roscommon have a few Senior players,I wouldnt be too worried by this TBH.we have alot of strong footballers to come back to that panel.
Like yourself Boojangles id like to think that id know a fair bit about players around the county,
But i have no idea what club Mark Clarke plays for.
Daniel O Hara is a Shannon Gaels clubman i believe.

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on January 07, 2009, 07:19:35 PM
Although I understand those that say "don't be so negative so early", I would agree with Boojangles' comments re the senior panel but would also mention that I know of one player who should at least be on the U-21 panel. He came home from college two weekends in a row for the Development games only to be told they were postponed and so gave up after that due to exam pressures.
Then despite two of his club-mates being called up for the U-21s he received no call-up despite being at least as good and in fact a more consistent performer. The difference between him and the other two is that they were county minors two years ago and so have been seen by most with any interest in the inter-county scene.
It begs the question of how much scouting is done for underage players or is it just a case of bringing through members of previous U-16 and minor panels.
This one individual has played for his club since he was 16 and has been consistently outstanding but hasn't had the exposure of many others. So when are the likes of Peter Reilly or Tommy Carr supposed to have seen him?
I'm sure there are plenty of others in similar boats.
But as Mr. Pain says, rant over.
I couldnt agree more about your point there Lawrence.I dont know who you are talking about in particular but I know for sure that in Cavan once you have made your place as a County Minor that will definitely guarantee you at least a call-up at Under-21 level,no matter how you have been playing with your club.That is 3 years after minor level. There is feck all scouting done in this county.Nobody is responsible for it.the County manager will do very little scouting in general.Its handier to just call up a lad from the Under-21 panel.Then we wonder why some lads fall away and on the other side of it,why some lads arent performing that are on County teams.
Most people judge a footballer in this county from reading the Celt,Echo or the Post.the problem with that is that in general it is One mans opinion and in most cases the sports writers in this county dont know next to nothing about football(Kevin Carney and Paul Fitz to a lesser extent not included)Typical lazy journalism- its the same names get mentioned over and over.once a man gets a reputation,its very hard for him to lose it, no matter how bad he plays.I know of one man in my club and no matter how good or bad he plays he will always be earmarked as playing well.Im sure all of yous could name somebody from your own club in the same position.
Until we get some sort of scouting structure in the county at all levels we will always be behind.
Whats Tony Bradys job in the County Board? Is he Coaching Officer?

BallyhaiseMan

would Nicholas Walsh not be Coaching Officer Boojangles??
Tony Brady owns his own business so im told,
a job as a Coaching Officer should be full time.
County Board recently appointed, 5 or 6 full time coaches throughout the county,Tyrone's Peter Donnelly being one of those.

boojangles

No Nicholas Walsh is Full-time Development Officer.That is more in charge of games development,development squads and coaching in the schools.he would be the boss of Peter Donnelly, Shaun Doherty and Finbar Reilly and all them coaches AFAIK.As far as I am aware Tony Brady is Coaching officer,but its not a full-time post as it should be.
All it would take is one man to organise scouting for all grades up to Senior.He could have a list of people from all across the county that could watch particular players that may be performing well.If he hears good things about one player then he could go watch him himself.If he thinks he is up to it then he should get a call in to whatever panel applies,or at least be asked to go in and train with a particular panel.There would be an overlap on different teams( A minor could be playing with a senior club team) so he could kill 2 birds with the one stone as they say.I know it would take a full-time post or close to it but surely 25-30k could be set aside each year for such a post.I suppose the best thing to do would be to send in a motion at the next convention.

BallyhaiseMan

Definetely agree,Every club  in the county should be screened and observed at least once throughout the year to see if they have any players to offer,
They way its done nowadays in most clubs,
Club officials are asked to nominate players for trials,
a process which can be complicated and ruined by favouritism etc etc.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on January 07, 2009, 10:21:04 PM.
All it would take is one man to organise scouting for all grades up to Senior.He could have a list of people from all across the county that could watch particular players that may be performing well.If he hears good things about one player then he could go watch him himself.If he thinks he is up to it then he should get a call in to whatever panel applies,or at least be asked to go in and train with a particular panel.There would be an overlap on different teams( A minor could be playing with a senior club team) so he could kill 2 birds with the one stone as they say.I know it would take a full-time post or close to it but surely 25-30k could be set aside each year for such a post.I suppose the best thing to do would be to send in a motion at the next convention.

One problem with that is who would that man be, scouting for players is a very skilled task and it's surprising to see how many people don't notice all the off the ball runs one forward could make to create space for his centre forward who ends up scoring 7 or 8 points or whatever.  In other words everyone sees the flashy stuff but the simple off the ball work often time doesn't get notice at all.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 07, 2009, 11:06:33 PM
a process which can be complicated and ruined by favoritism etc etc.

I understand your point about favoritism complicating clubs sending some players for trials but I've been at trials that have been ruined by favouritism to certain clubs also.  For example about scouting, we should definitely have another two of our lads involved in the U 21 set up this year, most people on here will guess who one of them is fairly quickly but I doubt if anyone will get the second person.  Even though last year was his third year of intermediate championship and he was minor in '08 and honestly he can play anywhere on the field and did play everywhere for us throughout the year too.  But he didn't make the county minor panel last year (a fact which will always baffle me) and that will probably be held over him for the next few years as regards County selection, but if he had of made the panel, regardless of how he played last year for our seniors he would have been looked at for the U21s this year.  Therein lies the problem with a lot of county football in cavan
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

Would it be that Mullen lad Celt man?

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 09, 2009, 01:04:35 PM
Quote from: boojangles on January 07, 2009, 10:21:04 PM.

One problem with that is who would that man be, scouting for players is a very skilled task and it's surprising to see how many people don't notice all the off the ball runs one forward could make to create space for his centre forward who ends up scoring 7 or 8 points or whatever.   In other words everyone sees the flashy stuff but the simple off the ball work often time doesn't get notice at all.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 07, 2009, 11:06:33 PM
a process which can be complicated and ruined by favoritism etc etc.

I understand your point about favoritism complicating clubs sending some players for trials but I've been at trials that have been ruined by favouritism to certain clubs also.  For example about scouting, we should definitely have another two of our lads involved in the U 21 set up this year, most people on here will guess who one of them is fairly quickly but I doubt if anyone will get the second person.  Even though last year was his third year of intermediate championship and he was minor in '08 and honestly he can play anywhere on the field and did play everywhere for us throughout the year too.  But he didn't make the county minor panel last year (a fact which will always baffle me) and that will probably be held over him for the next few years as regards County selection, but if he had of made the panel, regardless of how he played last year for our seniors he would have been looked at for the U21s this year.  Therein lies the problem with a lot of county football in cavan
Thats exactly what Im trying to get at,I hate selfish players and it drives me even more insane when I see them getting recognised as being Star men and all that.But at times I wonder whether you'd be better off being a selfish player in this County because thats all anybody
seems to recognise. Not too many people can pick out a player like the one you describe Celt man.But thats not to say there isnt a man who can do the job,but it definitely couldnt be given to any tom,dick or harry.
Like Cootehill for instance,Colm Smith-loads of ability and a great left foot but very selfish and wouldnt have a great work rate.yet he is seen as your star forward.Typical Cavan.