Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

HAD things worked out differently, Nicholas Walsh would be alongside Tadhg Kennelly offering advice to the host of Irish youngsters about to try their hand in the Australian Football League.

As the 21st century dawned, Walsh was Cavan's -- and possibly the country's -- brightest up-and-coming Gaelic football talent. So much so that he was handed the impressive honour of being selected on the Irish U-17 International Rules teams for two successive years, in 1999 and 2000.

At that stage, clubs and counties were more naive about the shop window that those underage tests against an AFL selection were. Unwittingly, the GAA had shone a spotlight on some of the country's finest young players by bringing them together in one convenient location for AFL clubs to scout. Departures were inevitable and Walsh was quickly spotted and signed by the Melbourne Demons.

And with the recruitment of some of the best young players again in the headlines, Walsh's story is perhaps more relevant now than ever. After he captained the Irish side against the Aussies in 2000, he received a telephone call while on his way home from school. Representatives from the Demons were in his Cavan home waiting to speak to him about a possible move Down Under.

Some months earlier, he had performed well in a trial co-hosted by the Melbourne club and the Western Bulldogs. Naturally, his parents were unsure about letting the then 17-year-old move to the other side of the world to pursue a professional career in a sport that was alien to him, but Walsh's ambition was such that they finally relented and agreed to a contract with the club.

Unfortunately, it was that same ambition and drive that ultimately proved to be his undoing. Eager to catch up with the more physically developed Aussies of his age, Walsh pushed his young body to extremes, to the point where it simply couldn't cope with the demands he placed on it.

Osteitis pubis (OP) set in on the Cavan youngster, a condition that can render sufferers incapable of sustained physical activity. In other words, his core muscles couldn't carry the bulk he had managed to build up quite quickly in Australia. With no established cure, the Cavan man's days as a professional athlete were numbered.

"I was taking extra sessions at every opportunity," Walsh recalled. "More kicking and more weights, every chance I got. I thought it would help bring me on quicker and help me improve, but in reality my body broke down from the inside out."

OP is quite a common problem in the Aussie Rules, but Walsh maintains an admirably philosophical view on his time in the AFL. The Demons were good to him and put him through his final year of secondary school in Australia while they also helped finance a sports management degree. He was assigned an established club professional (Cameron Bruce), who was charged with helping Walsh develop as an AFL footballer.

"When I played with the school I was placed in and with Melbourne's feeder club, they used to make a video of all my matches," he revealed. "And then Cameron would sit down and go through them with me and point out different things, like what I had done well and where I should have made the run. Really they couldn't have done any more for me. And when my contract was up I suppose they had to make a business decision and I came back home."

And despite having come so close to a professional career, Walsh isn't one for regrets.

"I'm not one for looking back and saying, 'what if'. Of course, if I had to go over a year later my body would have been better able to cope with the demands. But then there is nothing to say that a contract would have been on the table then. And the club were very good to me, you couldn't fault them. At the end of the day, they are running a business."

In his own words, Walsh was "just getting by" financially in his first year, but by year two he was earning approximately AUS$30,000 (about €15,500). With accommodation paid for and transport supplied, it was more than enough for a comfortable existence.

Perhaps the disappointment of missing out on another contract with the Demons was tempered when he made his debut for the Cavan senior side shortly after returning home.

"I made my debut for Cavan playing alongside Larry Reilly against Donegal in 2004 and he was a legend in Cavan before I left and still is.

"But I found it hard to get back kicking the round ball. Some people would say my kicking was never great anyway, but I found it particularly hard to re-adjust."

Now he works full-time for the Cavan County Board as football development officer and has resumed activity with both club (Cavan Gaels) and county.

But during the summer the AFL was thrust back into his life dramatically. On the weekend the Feile was being held in Cavan, Australian scout Gerard Scholly let himself on to the back pitch at Breffni and conducted trials with AFL hopefuls. Walsh happened on the scene and told him in no uncertain terms where to go.

"It was a disgrace what went on there. He just turned up on the pitch and I actually couldn't believe what was going on. He said that he presumed it was a public park, but anyone who knows the back pitch knows that would be a very hard mistake to make. He even had the lads togging out in the cars because obviously the dressing-rooms wouldn't have been open.

"Obviously with my links to the AFL, some people might have assumed I had something to do with that, but that's just not true. It was a big day for Cavan and myself personally to be hosting the Feile and it was just a disgrace what went on there.

"I spoke to Nickey Brennan directly about it since then, and also to some of the parents who had turned up on the day, and they all presumed he had gotten permission to use the pitch. But that simply wasn't the case."

While the 'talent drain' is not as significant as stated by some commentators, young GAA players will continue to find the lure of a chance of life as a professional sportsman too great to turn down, as we have witnessed in recent weeks.

Traffic

It's not all one-way traffic, though. Cork's Michael Shields recently returned home after a spell with Carlton, while Aisake O hAilpin looks set to follow suit after being released by the same club. Laois duo Colm Begley and Brendan Quigley went out to the Brisbane Lions but Quigley didn't settle and returned home, while Begley has just been picked up by St Kilda. Previously, Bernie Collins (Cork) and Kevin Devine (Dublin) went out to Australia around the same time as Walsh but both returned home. It seems that more players will return to Gaelic football than carve out a career in the AFL but as long as there are success stories like Martin Clarke -- who has taken the game by storm -- Aussie clubs will continue to take the chance of unearthing a gem on these shores.

Kyle Coney is the most noted young player to take his chance. A star of the Tyrone All-Ireland minor-winning side, he recently confirmed his intention to join the Sydney Swans and more are sure to follow his lead after Ricky Nixon confirmed that he will run more camps similar to the one held in Breaffy, Co Mayo, earlier this year.

Although Walsh's time Down Under ended in disappointment, he believes it is worth the risk.

"There is no harm going over, but do your research," Walsh urged. "I spoke to Tadhg Kennelly before going over and he is always more than willing to help out and give you a pointer and I would speak to anyone who might be thinking of going over too. Some clubs are better prepared to cope with taking on an Irish lad than others and that has to be taken into account.

"Be sure of your terms too, I have heard stories of lads going over and not getting what they had been promised. But there are good stories too. I happened to be over there last year and I spoke to Martin Clarke and he is getting on very well. He has a separate coach for each skill set and is being very well looked after."

So is the same fate that befell Walsh likely to repeat itself with another Irish youngster?

"I don't think that is as likely to happen again. GAA players have really caught up in terms of weight programmes and most lads going over will have been introduced to physical conditioning at a young age, so they'll be better able to take it."

The U-17 tests that provided the platform for Walsh to shine are no longer part of the calendar but it seems likely that as long as the AFL continues to offer the only chance of life as a professional sportsman for the GAA player, some of the best talent in the country will be willing to take a chance
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

Quote from: boojangles on December 08, 2008, 05:49:11 PM
Final trial games were held over the last few weekends.The management outlined that they wanted to have a panel picked for the 1st week or so of December.Tommy Carr spoke a bit about what he was looking for, such as team work,communication,work rate etc.The trial I was at 2 weeks ago was very loose with a few suspects trying to do it all themselves.Fitness levels wouldnt have been the best with alot of us but I thought that David Givney from Mountnugent really impressed,Paddy Gumley also showed well.Lorcan Mulvey looked good on the ball as usual.Its hard to know if there will be that many new faces called in.Most of the lads at that trial would have been on the County panel at some stage over the last few years.

Cheers boojangles, it's always good to get the inside steer! I hope TC holds true to the bit above in bold, that's the basic building block he needs to put right at the corbnerstone of anything he hopes to achieve in Cavan, be it success in its own right or more realistically, the leaving behind of something solid to work with for the next man in charge. How did he strike you, how did he come across?

ac39, read that earlier yesterday alright, I remember being quite annoyed when we lost Walsh and maybe he owuld have become a great footballer had he stayed for those formative years. All in all, I think Australia ruined him...he no longer tries to catch a ball, is a poor kicker and seems overly interested in the niggle. That said, he'll still be an important player for Cavan as a spoiler/agitator when fit because we're very bare around midfield.

Celt_Man

I was at the final trial on Saturday in Killinkere.... 12 a side (although in fairness they had only planned to play 13 a side and two boys didn't make the game for whatever reason) with no sideline marked out on at least one side of the field, no subs and 25 mins a side... Anyway, have to say overall it was a good match, very even until one side lost one of their backs, they were calling him "Ted" and he looked to be wearing killygarry coloured shorts - don't know him, and there was no subs to bring on and then the other side pulled away.  Hard to judge players on a trial game in December, a lot were lacking that bit of sharpness from training away a couple of times a week apart from anyway of the ones in college.  John Tierney played a great game in the middle of the field alongside McCutcheon - the pair of them shaded it over Walshe and I think it was Fiachra Cork from Castlerahan.  Paddy Gumley from Redhills is a cert for the panel, kicked some outrageous scores  as did Ronan Reilly from Kildallon, big lump of a lad with great feet - anyone know what age he is???  Flanagan, Mackey and Cullivan were very good as well and Darren Smith from Lavey - given his performance against Dublin for the juniors as well -  should get a shot and make the panel.  Ciaran Shields played well but I haven't seen a lot of him - how did he do in the regional games, definitely looked up to the pace anyway.   A few others who will be on the Under 21 side would benefit from training with the seniors but maybe just aren't ready for the complete set up to the senior panel proper a la Ado Cole and Dane O'Dowd.  Interesting enough Jayo was there and played reasonably well, obviously still content to go through the trial process to make the panel again.... should make it also
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavanmaniac

Cheers Celt Man, us exiles appreciate the info. Such knowledge is important for pontificating in the pub you know. ;D

boojangles

Quote from: cavanmaniac on December 09, 2008, 10:47:48 AM
Quote from: boojangles on December 08, 2008, 05:49:11 PM
Final trial games were held over the last few weekends.The management outlined that they wanted to have a panel picked for the 1st week or so of December.Tommy Carr spoke a bit about what he was looking for, such as team work,communication,work rate etc.The trial I was at 2 weeks ago was very loose with a few suspects trying to do it all themselves.Fitness levels wouldnt have been the best with alot of us but I thought that David Givney from Mountnugent really impressed,Paddy Gumley also showed well.Lorcan Mulvey looked good on the ball as usual.Its hard to know if there will be that many new faces called in.Most of the lads at that trial would have been on the County panel at some stage over the last few years.

Cheers boojangles, it's always good to get the inside steer! I hope TC holds true to the bit above in bold, that's the basic building block he needs to put right at the corbnerstone of anything he hopes to achieve in Cavan, be it success in its own right or more realistically, the leaving behind of something solid to work with for the next man in charge. How did he strike you, how did he come across?

ac39, read that earlier yesterday alright, I remember being quite annoyed when we lost Walsh and maybe he owuld have become a great footballer had he stayed for those formative years. All in all, I think Australia ruined him...he no longer tries to catch a ball, is a poor kicker and seems overly interested in the niggle. That said, he'll still be an important player for Cavan as a spoiler/agitator when fit because we're very bare around midfield.
Tommy Carr only spoke for a bit,but I was impressed with what he said.Basically that he wasnt looking for individuals but rather lads who did the simple things well,supported team mates,worked hard and communicated well.After that it was mostly Peter Reilly and Niall Lynch who did the talking.
Would agree with Celt Man,I would be very suprised if Paddy Gumley doesnt make the panel.As for Ronan Reilly from Kildallon,I would have to disagree,didnt do alot in the trial I was at and is very lazy.Will kick points if he gets room.No harm to Killinkere but surely there is a better surface in the county to have a County Trial on,whats wrong with Kildallon or Templeport,Drumalee has staged a few trial and regional games in the last few weeks too.13 a side is a bit stupid too.I doubt it would have been that hard to get 4 more lads,but anyway.
The TED you refer to is Eoin Smith from Killygarry,a fine full-back who has been very unlucky with injuries.he would have won a Sigerson medal with Sligo IT a few years back.Would definitely be worth a shot on the panel.Great upper body strength.
Im sure they will have a panel in place in the next week as I think they should have got a look at most players by now.

mylestheslasher

The trials may not be going 100% to plan and it remains to be seen if  they unearth players good enough to play at inter county level but I think the county board, Tommy Carr and his selectors should be commended for at least trying to do the right thing. Maybe next year they will be run a bit better and the players/clubs will show a bit more interest in them

Denn Forever

When do we wake Cavanmaniac up?  2008 is nearly over and I'm sure he would like to rub the sleep from his eyes and be ready for the McKenna Cup.

WAKEY WAKEY CAVANMANIAC!!![/b]

;D
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Wouldn't know too much about Ronan Reilly at all, but I was impressed with the few scores he kicked on Saturday -  I wouldn't know from that one game I saw him in if he was good enough and I'm always wary about taking a young lad into the senior set up too soon... Another reason why the U-21s is so important, apart from the merits of winning anything at that level, it really should be a staging ground for younger players who are maybe just not quite ready for the senior set up.... Also the Junior team/Development squad should be used as a follow on for players who are in the same boat outside the U 21 grade to eventually feed into the senior set up.  It should be said that 3 of the better performers on Saturday - Tierney, Paddy Gumley and Darren Smith - played very well on the junior team in Dublin in June which was a wee bit unlucky to be beaten by Dublin who went to win the All-Ireland.

cavanmaniac

Ha ha Denn Forever I've just copped that alright, hopefully I'll awake to find the new reality is a lot more pleasant than the nightmare. Ah feck it I can't wait for some sort of intercounty action to start up again!

cavan4sam

I just stole this off the Ulster Club Championship thread.

Word is coming through that Cavan Gaels have launched an appeal into their game last weekend with Ballinderry - Cavan Gaels allege that Ballinderry played a lad who was under 14. 

Technically Cavan Gaels are right  - the lad Bell ( who is a monster for 14 ) is under 14 and under the new rules shouldn't be playing -

But surely Cavan Gaels should have taken their beating and forgot about a protest ?

It's not as if he was overage ?? He's an under 14 who happens to be a huge lad for his age.

seamusthebard

Quote from: cavan4sam on December 10, 2008, 11:38:57 AM

Word is coming through that Cavan Gaels have launched an appeal into their game last weekend with Ballinderry - Cavan Gaels allege that Ballinderry played a lad who was under 14. 

Technically Cavan Gaels are right  - the lad Bell ( who is a monster for 14 ) is under 14 and under the new rules shouldn't be playing -

But surely Cavan Gaels should have taken their beating and forgot about a protest ?

It's not as if he was overage ?? He's an under 14 who happens to be a huge lad for his age.

What a crowd of sore losers.

boojangles

God if this is true I would have to agree with Seamus the Bard.We had the same problem this year for a Minor Championship game.We had a superb U-14 who was well fit to play Minor and we played him in the Championship Q-Final against Drumgoon.There was word that Drumgoon were gonna object but common sense prevailed and they let it pass and fair play to them.i know rules are rules but the Gaels will be doing themselves no favours if they object here.

cavan4ever

Quote from: seamusthebard on December 10, 2008, 11:55:03 AM
Quote from: cavan4sam on December 10, 2008, 11:38:57 AM

What a crowd of sore losers.

Rules are rules though. 

seamusthebard

Is it true that the referee dished out about five red cards to your players after the game for their misconduct and that they will not be available and that they will be severely punished for the remainder of the competition anyway if you were to win your protest.

Celt_Man

I think I'd be embarrassed with this appeal if I was involved with the Cavan Gaels... I know its illegal but jaysus he was U-14, you'd think they would be trying to keep that fact on the down low... Any reports on how the game actually went?