Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Boo shocked because I saw them beat St Galls...they didnt even resemble the team that beat St galls.

BallyhaiseMan

Johnston went off injured in the first half Myles,i believe he kicked 0-1 before leaving with a reoccurance of the hamstring injury.

young minor Robert Maloney Derham came on for him.

boojangles

I didnt go up to Armagh yesterday,wasnt in Casement either so wasnt gonna hop on the bandwagon.My father and brother both travelled.1st half was fairly even,all but 1 score coming from play.Johnston and Paul O Donnell both had to come off injured after about 10 minutes.Both being replaced by Minors.2nd half was a completely different story.Gaels played stupid tactics with only 2 inside forwards and Lyng coming back far too deep.Gaels had 5 Minors on at one stage yesterday.Only Anthony Forde played well for the Gaels.Enda King tried hard as usual but the Midfield was dominated by the Derry men.
Some people are blaming the fact that the Gaels had to play the League final last weekend and they were sluggish as a result,I cant take that as an excuse.The Gaels have enough talent in reserve that could have competed, and probably beat Cucuhalinns last weekend. Surely the Ulster match should be the priority,and resting a few like Johnston would have been the wise thing to do.Like how many League titles have the Gaels won now?Did the Gaels look to have that game called off last weekend?

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: boojangles on November 17, 2008, 02:48:00 PM
I didnt go up to Armagh yesterday,wasnt in Casement either so wasnt gonna hop on the bandwagon.My father and brother both travelled.1st half was fairly even,all but 1 score coming from play.Johnston and Paul O Donnell both had to come off injured after about 10 minutes.Both being replaced by Minors.2nd half was a completely different story.Gaels played stupid tactics with only 2 inside forwards and Lyng coming back far too deep.Gaels had 5 Minors on at one stage yesterday.Only Anthony Forde played well for the Gaels.Enda King tried hard as usual but the Midfield was dominated by the Derry men.
Some people are blaming the fact that the Gaels had to play the League final last weekend and they were sluggish as a result,I cant take that as an excuse.The Gaels have enough talent in reserve that could have competed, and probably beat Cucuhalinns last weekend. Surely the Ulster match should be the priority,and resting a few like Johnston would have been the wise thing to do.Like how many League titles have the Gaels won now?Did the Gaels look to have that game called off last weekend?

ballinderry were down to play the ;ast league game of the season last weekend, if they had won it they had the league won...guess what?...they conceded the game. Tells its own story of priorities.

boojangles

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 17, 2008, 02:51:41 PM
Quote from: boojangles on November 17, 2008, 02:48:00 PM

ballinderry were down to play the ;ast league game of the season last weekend, if they had won it they had the league won...guess what?...they conceded the game. Tells its own story of priorities.
Point proven.The Gaels should not have been risking most of their 1st team last weekend.That was the Gaels best chance of winning an Ulster or at least getting to a final in the last 10 years.A league Final should not have got in the way.Derry County Board didnt call off the game for them,but Ballinderry didnt let that get in the way.

cavanmaniac

I see Saint Pats Cavan have failed to build on their opening win over Omagh CBS in the McRory.

Beaten by St. Pat's Armagh and St. Mary's of Belfast by 12 and 18 points respectively in their most recent games. :-[

Denn Forever

Anyone know how Redhills did in their game?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 17, 2008, 08:06:24 PM
Anyone know how Redhills did in their game?

They lost to Trillic but not sure by how much

milltown row

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 14, 2008, 09:38:18 AM
Quote from: milltown row on November 13, 2008, 09:57:23 PM
he's a forward player!!!

if Jonstone is injured then i fear for Cavan Gaels

So forwards don't defend now! Have you missed the last 10 yrs of Ulster Football.

so he must have stayed up front this week ;)

boojangles

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 17, 2008, 04:27:54 PM
I see Saint Pats Cavan have failed to build on their opening win over Omagh CBS in the McRory.

Beaten by St. Pat's Armagh and St. Mary's of Belfast by 12 and 18 points respectively in their most recent games. :-[
Not sure what went on there. I believe that they were missing most of their best players because of some of the recent club fixtures.Minor finals,Senior games etc.

cavanmaniac

This fixture bullshit really annoys my hole. Cavan were out of the championship in June or whatever and yet we still only managed to play our senior final in mid October or something. Every year around this time, the county board seem to pile in various competitions that have been mothballed and long fingered all year, if there was streamlining in all counties there'd be much more room for more fixtures and players would be freed up for alot more important competitions. I'm no longer based at home and not a player but that's how it looks from afar anyway...

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 18, 2008, 10:46:11 AM
This fixture bullshit really annoys my hole. Cavan were out of the championship in June or whatever and yet we still only managed to play our senior final in mid October or something. Every year around this time, the county board seem to pile in various competitions that have been mothballed and long fingered all year, if there was streamlining in all counties there'd be much more room for more fixtures and players would be freed up for alot more important competitions. I'm no longer based at home and not a player but that's how it looks from afar anyway...

The senior final does be fixed from the start of the year for October.  The majority of county finals are played in September/October.

cavanmaniac

Yes I realised that but surely Cavan - and all other county boards - could have their championships finished off earlier. I'm asking, not stating. I would be fairly sure there were large tracts of the summer where clubs were idle and even when the county team exited the championship, there seemed to be no hurry to keep the games coming thick and fast. Is that not what players would want (again, asking).

I dunno, I just reckon tighter scheduling all round would leave ample room for whatever other championships have to be finished, as well as Interprovincials and International Rules? After all, this is not the opportune time of the year to be playing finals and so on.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 18, 2008, 12:22:37 PM
Yes I realised that but surely Cavan - and all other county boards - could have their championships finished off earlier. I'm asking, not stating. I would be fairly sure there were large tracts of the summer where clubs were idle and even when the county team exited the championship, there seemed to be no hurry to keep the games coming thick and fast. Is that not what players would want (again, asking).

I dunno, I just reckon tighter scheduling all round would leave ample room for whatever other championships have to be finished, as well as Interprovincials and International Rules? After all, this is not the opportune time of the year to be playing finals and so on.

Maniac has a point. Cavan Gaels finished up the championship 2 weeks before there 1st game in the Ulster Club. Cavan exited the championship at 1st round stage. Tyrone won the All Ireland and their county championship is finished and ready for Ulster Club. How can that be?

BallyhaiseMan

The Problem is lads,

The Master Fixture list has the Championship down for starting in Late July,

Even though Cavan are Anually out of the championship in Mid June,

you're then left with maybe 5/6 weeks free,Without league games for alot of teams aswell.

If the County Board tried bringing the championship forward, Clubs would object that their training was set for them to peak in Late July,Lads were taking holidays etc etc.

Id prefer a championship starting in May and Finishing in Late August,
Season is far too long from January-October(County Final day) and then it finally ends in October/November with League games and Under 21 Finals.