Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

How many teams are going down in Div 3 to Div 4, or does that depend on who is in the bottom 2.

cavanmaniac

Cillian Sheridan was shaping up as some prospect before he left. Had one savage catch of a ball. Would have been lost at senior level with his lack of physique I fear, but sure we'll never know now anyway...

Hollow Man

Denn Forever

He was referenced in the ITV commentry as a talented Gaelic Footballer.  Well done the lad and hopefully he won't fade away like Stokes.

Does anyone know if Tommy Carr is one to change when the initial plan of action is redundant?  

Apparently Denn had had practice a plan for the final and when they were faced with the conditions that were present i.e. CG playing against a strong wind in the first half, they stuck to their plan i.e. flood midfield and defense.  That why we got so much possession HM.  No one had the cop on to play to the conditions.  So I hope that Tommy Carr can adapt.

11 wides in the game so we need to unearth some forwards. But it was great to be there.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavanmaniac

He must be the first Cavan man to play at Old Trafford. Not unless we had a few cricketers there over the years that the Celt didn't pick up on...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 22, 2008, 12:40:54 PM
He must be the first Cavan man to play at Old Trafford. Not unless we had a few cricketers there over the years that the Celt didn't pick up on...

Quite a few Cavan men have played in wembley though.

CC1

Quote from: Swadman on October 22, 2008, 08:40:38 AM
Any chance they can get Cillian back for the last game in Div 2 and hopefully avoid the drop to Div 3. I don't want to be getting my bicycle out for that trip next year !!!
Well you have Bailieboro, Shercock or Killinkere to choose from... Take your pick from those three! Going to be a long trip whatever way you look at it! :P
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

cavanmaniac

Can anyone shed any light on the 'Regional Games' that Tommy Carr has organised? What are they about, how are they organised etc.? They're a new one on me I must say but are obviously some sort of trawling/trialling system so they can't be a bad idea...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 23, 2008, 02:43:39 PM
Can anyone shed any light on the 'Regional Games' that Tommy Carr has organised? What are they about, how are they organised etc.? They're a new one on me I must say but are obviously some sort of trawling/trialling system so they can't be a bad idea...

They were done last year too. The county is split into a number of regions containing a number of clubs. Each club nominates some players. The county board appoint some selectors/managers for each region. They select a team and the different regions play each other as the Cavan management look on. That is it as far as I know. I'm not sure how well it went last year but supposedly it is going to be done better  this time around.

Homer

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 22, 2008, 12:40:54 PM

There's a young lad from Swad who is signed with United and he's only a gauson but probably would have played some underage games in OT. One for the pub quizers.

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 23, 2008, 03:53:30 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 23, 2008, 02:43:39 PM

They were done last year too. The county is split into a number of regions containing a number of clubs. Each club nominates some players. The county board appoint some selectors/managers for each region. They select a team and the different regions play each other as the Cavan management look on. That is it as far as I know. I'm not sure how well it went last year but supposedly it is going to be done better  this time around.

Did any of those games actually go ahead last year? I remember Ballinagh were pooled in with Killeshandra and Swad and few others as West Cavan but none of our boys took part with the Ulster Club ongoing.

(Also belated congrats to cavan4ever, BottomBrick, thastheball and commiserations to HaiseMan and DennForever.)

boojangles

I believe that only one of them Regional games went ahead out in Mullahoran last year.The rest didnt.Our region was supposed to go up to Kingscourt but it was postponed about 3 times and eventually done away with.
They are trying the same crack this year,hopefully better organised than last year.Micky Lee is involved with our Region(probably Drumalee,Gaels,The Bridge,Ballyhaise,Redhills,Killygarry etc.) thats all I know.Its supposed to be staring next week.

Did any of yas hear about the wee disagreement the Gaels boys had after the County Final?Supposedly Forde and Chesty Reilly and a few more wanted to train Monday evening but most of the rest told them to f**k off.Cavan Gaels trained Tuesday night instead.They have a massive match in Casement in 2 weeks time,if they lose it could end their chances of winning Ulster for a few years anyway.Anthony Forde and Cathal Collins aint gettin any younger.2 experienced men ya need in Ulster.
Shane McGlade picked up an injury the week before the final thats why he wasnt playing.
The jurys still out on Daniel Graham,he has made it further than his more talented brother Ritchie and as far as his even more talented brother Johnny.

Swadman

QuoteAny chance they can get Cillian back for the last game in Div 2 and hopefully avoid the drop to Div 3. I don't want to be getting my bicycle out for that trip next year !!!

Well you have Bailieboro, Shercock or Killinkere to choose from... Take your pick from those three! Going to be a long trip whatever way you look at it!
Its a better road to Killinkere!!!

Christopher Curran, (17),from Swad signed for Man U last year and has played for their reserves (and scored)

Tommy Carr told the Anglo-Celt newspaper.
"Any fella who is keen on making a county panel needs to play in those games."
The games struggled to get off the ground last year due to the overrunning of club fixtures, but it is understood that the County Board have pledged their full backing this year.
Co-ordinator and Cavan junior manager, Terry Hyland has insisted that once again this year every club in the county will be represented in the regional games and has urged all clubs to get their players out.

Regional Games, Monday, October 27 at 2.00pm:
West Cavan Gaels v Sheelin Gaels at First Ulsters Park, Ballyconnell. Ref: Chris McCaffrey.
Sillian Gaels v East Cavan at O'Raghallaigh Park, Kingscourt. Ref: Ollie Donohoe.

PhilsJemmysField

Swadman, Killinkere beat the County Champions on Wednesday in Div2 in a fairly good game of football. So unless Shercock and Bailieboro draw and there ends up being a 3 way relegation battle. Then you will end heading further East.

BallyhaiseMan

Its a good idea the Regional Games,They werent taken too seriously last yera thats for sure, i know a good few lads asked to take part that turned up their noses at it.

anyone know if they are open to the public???

Might take a trip up to watch them.

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 24, 2008, 06:59:29 PM
Its a good idea the Regional Games,They werent taken too seriously last yera thats for sure, i know a good few lads asked to take part that turned up their noses at it.

anyone know if they are open to the public???

Might take a trip up to watch them.
Its up to the club to nominate who they want in, as far as I know.I seen them fixtures there,what clubs are West and East Cavan representing??
Ballyhaise Man would you not bring your gear along???