Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Ciaran is 29 I think but as for county football I don't know.  Where would you play him?  Midfield or half forward if you are going to play pressurised football as he was wasted at full back.  A bit hotheaded but if you could channel it.

CG against St Galls?  They have the ability but does anyone know if the treat the Ulster seriously?  Also as I said earlier, they should have put us to the sword if mthey are that good.  Hopefully they can do the business and really put it up to the county team.

But if winning Cavan is the sum of their ambitions, oh god.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on October 20, 2008, 01:17:38 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 20, 2008, 01:05:08 PM
anyone hold out much hope for the Gaels against St Galls in Casement?

none

Care to expand on that Max? I mean you normally measure a teams quality based on  the quality of their underage. Haven't seen much at underage up in Antrim in a while. Have you seen the gaels  this year and if so what about them has not impressed you? Come on Max, don't hold back.

cavanmaniac

How did Rabbitt and Lyng play in the county final? I know the latter got 0-2 but in general play, did they look like they were on the verge of an intercounty return perhaps?

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 20, 2008, 02:09:31 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on October 20, 2008, 01:17:38 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 20, 2008, 01:05:08 PM
anyone hold out much hope for the Gaels against St Galls in Casement?

none

Care to expand on that Max? I mean you normally measure a teams quality based on  the quality of their underage. Haven't seen much at underage up in Antrim in a while. Have you seen the gaels  this year and if so what about them has not impressed you? Come on Max, don't hold back.

Myles gaels have done nothing of any note at any stage in Ulster. Real simple stuff here big lad. St Galls are a serious team, real quality, doesn't mean that the gaels are a decent team.

Hollow Man

What I would be worried about is the fact that Denn won so much around the middle. I felt Denn got about 45% round the middle but were let down by atrocious shooting. The Gaels on the other hand were excellenT in front of goal, kicking very few wides.

In other words, if Denn had a couple of forwards they could have been much closer than they were.

The Gaels still have a couple of passengers in their side, and as for bringing on three minors in the last five minutes and letting older lads rot on the bench.. says it all about them. Surely someone like Gearoid Collins could have come on, rather than light young lads who already got a game that day. That's why the Gaels have done nothing in Ulster and will continue to do very little in my opinion.

Forde's legs are gone, he can't force the pace at the top level, or even the level just below that (Ulster club). Dominic and Sean Reilly aren't up to that level either, neither are Daniel Graham or Martin Dunne (poor at county minor level last year, how would they be fit for a much higher standaRd 12 months later?).

What's the betS that those same minors won't be heard tell of when they get to their mid 20's, or will be left sitting on the bench as a new wave of 17 years olds are introduced? Sean Higgins anyone? Richie Graham?

PS: Max, can you really not spell "Gaels"? What is the Queen's education system coming to?

Denn Forever

The reason why we won so much around the middle was that we flooded the area.

In the first half, Eamonn Reilly was standing by himself in the half back line and all Denn forwards in the area were marked.  If we'd a few better forwards we might have troubled them but they were playing well within themselves.

Best of luck to them in Ulster.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavan4ever

Anyone have updated league tables?

cavan4ever

Hoganstand

Division Two to end in exciting climax
21 October 2008

This year's ACFL Division Two campaign is set for another enthralling finish as Drumgoon, Ramor and Redhills all hold 20 points at the top of the table with a game each remaining in the final round of fixtures.

by Shane Corrigan

Last weekend, newly crowned Cavan intermediate champions Redhills overcame promotion rivals Drumgoon by two points thanks to Colin Reilly's late goal at Max McGrath Park. The result brings Mickey Cadden's side level on points with the Éire Ógs, after chasing their lead at the summit at the table for most of the season.

After losing out in the semi-finals of the SFC earlier this month, Ramor United ensured that they too would have their say in promotion back to complete senior status by trouncing Bailieborough, who are battling for safety at the foot end of the table, in Virginia last Saturday on a score-line of 1-17 to 2-5, with half-forward Stephen Monaghan instrumental in hitting 0-8.

The closing games (Round 13) of ACFL Division Two are set for next Saturday week, November 1 at 3.00pm. Ramor visit Killinkere, who are in a relegation dog fight with Bailieborough and Shercock, and Redhills making the trip to O'Raghallaigh Park to take on Kingscourt, who assured their safety with a win over Ballymachugh at the weekend.

Drumgoon host rivals Cootehill, who denied them immediate promotion last year with a defeat at Hugh O'Reilly Park which forced a three-way play-off between 'the Goonies', Killygarry and Lavey, with the latter two achieving promotion to the top tier.

With another play-off likely here, the division has once again proved that the intermediate section in Cavan remains the most unpredictable of the three.

Exciting stuff it will probably go to a play off in which id have Ramor and Redhills as favourites.

BallyhaiseMan

Eoghan Elliot; John Gurhy, Darren Rabbitt, Karl Crotty; Anthony Forde (0-1), Eamon O'Reilly, Daniel Graham; Enda King (0-1), Cathal Collins; Sean O'Reilly, Sean Johnston (0-7) (3f), Cormac Nelligan (0-1) (1f); Michael Lyng (0-2), Nicholas Walsh, Dominic O'Reilly (0-2). Subs: Martin Dunne (0-1), Shane McGlade, Robert Maloney-Derham, Kevin Meehan, Niall Murray.

agree with Hollow Man, Thats gaels team isnt anywhere near as strong as they could put out. The weak links being Daniel Graham, Sean O Reily and Dominic O Reily

Gearoid Collins
Shane McGlade are two that should definetely be starting

what happened  Sean Higgins and Paul O Donnell? Both would be alot better than Sean and Dominic O Reily

Gavin Duffy is travelling, Hes another player they could do with.

anglocelt39

Difference between the Cavan Senior Panel and the Champions League Soccer Competition

Bailieborough Shamrocks have somebody involved in the Champions League.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

I thought he did well when he came on, especially compared to some of the Donkeys Celtic have on display. I only saw him once or twice for Cavan as a minor. I think he came on against Down in 06 in casement as a sub and kick a supreme point from in front of  the terrace. Bailieboro could do with him now...

Swadman

QuoteDifference between the Cavan Senior Panel and the Champions League Soccer Competition
Bailieborough Shamrocks have somebody involved in the Champions League.
Any chance they can get Cillian back for the last game in Div 2 and hopefully avoid the drop to Div 3. I don't want to be getting my bicycle out for that trip next year !!!
Team      Pts
Redhills       20
Drumgoon       20
Ramor United     20
Knockbride    14
Drumlane         12
Killeshandra    12   
Drung            11
Kingscourt       11
Cootehill       10
Cavan Gaels    10 (2 games left)
Shercock       8