Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollow Man

Just got this from CNN.com

Uproar after digraceful scenes in Irish village

Ballyhaise, Ireland

Unconfirmed reports from the Irish village of Ballyhaise, Co Cavan suggest that "at least eight" flags were stolen and an old scrap car callously vandalised in the run-up to a Gaelic football match last weekend. In a shocking further development, at least two flags are also reported to have been set alight in a move which as been condemned by local residents.

The shocking scenes came following two weeks of relentless verbal sparring among supporters of both sides. The Ballyhaise squad, who were well-beaten by a team full of teenagers, are said to be deeply traumatised by the despicable actions of their opponents' supporters, which some suggested was the root cause of their lily-livered performance on the day.

"Some t**t from Redhills supposedly came up and burned a Ballyhaise flag in front of our community centre," revealed one anonymous player. "Not to mention Ballyhaise Flags burned down in Redhills."

The source declined to explain why there were Ballyhaise flags across the border, although it is thought that the flags were stolen and burned as a sort of ritual. The player was magnanimous in defeat, however, mentioning that "Redhills truely [sic] deserved to win it" and that injuries to two players were not an excuse.

The Irish government have moved quickly to avoid a futher escalation of trouble and have sent a team of trained counsellors to the Ballyhaise area to assist locals who may have witnessed the flag larcenies. The Gardai have also confirmed that a high-level investigation is underway, while Amnesty International were quick to condemn the despicable actions.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 16, 2008, 08:32:06 AM
...and I thought the dubs were the ones embracing the soccer culture. Looks like we have our own little Millwall F.C. Commiserations BH Man, good to see you managed to crawl out of wherever you were.

to be honest the session lasted just Sunday and Monday,Tuesday was spent in Bed and back to work yesterday  :D
Still dying though.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on October 16, 2008, 11:09:32 AM
Just got this from CNN.com

Uproar after digraceful scenes in Irish village

Ballyhaise, Ireland

Unconfirmed reports from the Irish village of Ballyhaise, Co Cavan suggest that "at least eight" flags were stolen and an old scrap car callously vandalised in the run-up to a Gaelic football match last weekend. In a shocking further development, at least two flags are also reported to have been set alight in a move which as been condemned by local residents.

The shocking scenes came following two weeks of relentless verbal sparring among supporters of both sides. The Ballyhaise squad, who were well-beaten by a team full of teenagers, are said to be deeply traumatised by the despicable actions of their opponents' supporters, which some suggested was the root cause of their lily-livered performance on the day.

"Some t**t from Redhills supposedly came up and burned a Ballyhaise flag in front of our community centre," revealed one anonymous player. "Not to mention Ballyhaise Flags burned down in Redhills."

The source declined to explain why there were Ballyhaise flags across the border, although it is thought that the flags were stolen and burned as a sort of ritual. The player was magnanimous in defeat, however, mentioning that "Redhills truely [sic] deserved to win it" and that injuries to two players were not an excuse.

The Irish government have moved quickly to avoid a futher escalation of trouble and have sent a team of trained counsellors to the Ballyhaise area to assist locals who may have witnessed the flag larcenies. The Gardai have also confirmed that a high-level investigation is underway, while Amnesty International were quick to condemn the despicable actions.

Nice to see that you care Hollow   :-*  ;D

I think we should just give Redhills back to the Brits,
Redhills, Co.Fermanagh, UK has a good sounf of it  :P

cavanmaniac

I agree with the Boo Jangly one on picking a whole new panel from scratch. The new broom really needs to sweep totally clean. Everyone starts on the same footing with a clear understanding of the commitment involved, no heed paid to reputation or 'past achievements' such as they would be in Cavan. That's the only way a genuinely new leaf can be turned.

Interested to see Ciarán Galligan getting more shouts here again. I can't see this guy ever making it though, sure he's big, committed and looks after himself but for all his attributes, there's no manager out there that will be able to coach raw courage and a bit of balls into him. Sorry lads, but the chap is just too reluctant in the physical stakes and I can't see this changing. I didn't see the recent final but I recall him in the replay in Down just 'shadowing' opposition players all day and not getting stuck in at all. Very frustrating to see a big man like that, that we're crying out for, not putting it to any use.

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 16, 2008, 12:11:31 PM
Interested to see Ciarán Galligan getting more shouts here again. I can't see this guy ever making it though, sure he's big, committed and looks after himself but for all his attributes, there's no manager out there that will be able to coach raw courage and a bit of balls into him. Sorry lads, but the chap is just too reluctant in the physical stakes and I can't see this changing. I didn't see the recent final but I recall him in the replay in Down just 'shadowing' opposition players all day and not getting stuck in at all. Very frustrating to see a big man like that, that we're crying out for, not putting it to any use.

I can't disagree with alot of that.  He isn't that great of a fielder of the ball either but im sure he will get another chance with the county this year but unless he starts putting his head in where it hurts he wont make it.  If he had the same guts as his midfield partner last weekend Aidan McCaul not much would get in his way.

mylestheslasher

The same used to be said about Ronan Carolan. We'd give our left arm to have him there now.

cavanmaniac

And the same was true of Ronan Carolan as well, but he was always dead-eyed enough from frees to make him worth his place in the team. Mostly anyway. I can't see as of yet what Galligan could bring to the table to make up for his own shortfall. Both are actually very similar by the sounds of it, super fit, very dedicated etc.

Carolan showed what he was truly capable of when riled up, when McHugh dropped him in '97, the next few games back he played like a man possessed (nearly beat Donegal on his own), before gradually returning to meeker ways.

If it's not there already, it can't be transplanted or manufactured unfortunately. :-[

boojangles

I heard all about the Vandals from Redhills,sure they were at the same caper in 2005 when Butlersbridge bet them in the Junior Final.I'd have a fair idea who was behind that shit too.Was all the more reason to beat the shite out of them.
Your right BH Man,I have to say that Ballyhaise were alot stronger outfit 2 or 3 years ago.Thats not to say that you's wont be back.Fergal Slowey was a big loss for you's.Couldnt see him giving the same room to Colin(Rocky) Reilly.
Not taking away from Redhills fine team performance but I dont think the Intermediate grade is as tough as it used to be.Ballinagh couldnt win the Intermediate 2 years ago but could still win the Division 1 League a few weeks later.
Ciaran Galligan deserves a trial anyway.He may not be Bernard Morris but I wouldnt call him near as Yella as Ronan Carolan was.
Who retired after the Kildare game? Forde,McCabe,Jason???
Mite we see Larry back in,now that Peter is involved.

BallyhaiseMan

I hear the Gaels have a new recurit for next year,
Peter Donnelly Tyrone Panel member from Coalisland,
Taking up a coaching job with Cavan GAA.
anyone hear anything about it?

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 16, 2008, 10:41:01 PM
I hear the Gaels have a new recurit for next year,
Peter Donnelly Tyrone Panel member from Coalisland,
Taking up a coaching job with Cavan GAA.
anyone hear anything about it?

Didnt hear anythin about that.He was listed in the Programme on Sunday that he is the new coach for the East side of Cavan,gave his club as Coalisland.But whether he is moving to the Gaels Id have my doubts.Im sure Nicholas Walsh has been wrecking his head about it.That would put any man off.

mylestheslasher

I didn't hear that anyone had quit after the Kildare game. I was talking to a friend of mine from Gowna. He says McCabe will be back but he reckons he is getting frustrated that he can't perform at the levels he used to (age is catching up with him) - hence all  the moaning and bollocking he is always at. Funny enough he reckons McKeever is an animal to train and very seldom misses one. He tells me Pierson is a lost cause, a loose cannon. He went as far as to say that pierson would never make it at county level because of this attitude he has. I think Forde will be there again too  and I know he always puts in the work but has he the legs anymore? Jason I think is a sub at best, he has lost that pace that made him such a goal threat in the past. A great servant of Cavan and a man we never heard of being in any discipline disputes. In fact I know he used to quit the booze altogether. Tommy has some important positions to fill down the center of the team. I see no Full Back (Dunne from Redhills in a yr or two maybe), Ctr Back (McKeever maybe, Gaynor needs another chance I believe), Midfiled (we are in bother here with only walsh cutting the mustard as far as I can see), Ctr Forward (hopefully Lyng will come back but who else), FF (no one unless McCabe can be transferred). Tommy Carr has a tough job on his hands. I wouldn't expect too much of him in yr 1. A decent run in the league - although we'll struggle for promotion and some sign of improved work rate and effort would be my goal. Weed out the wasters and put a soild base in place.

Interesting times but I am looking forward to next year which is the  total opposite of how I felt last year.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 17, 2008, 10:45:40 AM
Tommy Carr has a tough job on his hands. I wouldn't expect too much of him in yr 1. A decent run in the league - although we'll struggle for promotion and some sign of improved work rate and effort would be my goal. Weed out the wasters and put a soild base in place.

Agree with that. Although you'd never know in the league, sometimes you can capitalise on the other teams not being so tuned in early on, plus there's always a couple of rogue results in weekends where big hitters are after doing their heavy stamina training for the championship. It's a stretch but we should at least be flirting with the idea of promotion, whether we close the deal or not is another thing.

But there's an awful lot of problem positions to be filled and the candidates would seem thin on the ground. But you never know how a rising tide can lift all boats, sometimes lads come to the fore that never shone previously. Here's hoping anyway, let's enjoy the honeymoon for now.

Hollow Man

QuoteIn fact I know he used to quit the booze altogether

Wow, never realised he was so dedicated.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hollow Man on October 17, 2008, 10:59:21 AM

Wow - another breathtakingly informative post by hollow head

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 17, 2008, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: Hollow Man on October 17, 2008, 10:59:21 AM

Wow - another breathtakingly informative post by hollow head

Used to is the word he hasn't quit it in the last few years.