Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 08, 2008, 02:46:25 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on October 08, 2008, 02:40:02 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 08, 2008, 02:35:12 PM
Cheers for that C4ever
Hope myself Drung win the Junior Championship

Would be Good to see the likes of Ciaran Galligan,Barry Watters,Miller,Alan Curran(who ive heard has been outstanding this year) etc back playing at Intermediate level(although hopefully we wont be there next year  :P )

Its the worst year that he has had in a long time.  He was lucky not to be taken off after 10 mins in the semi final but on his day can be very good. 

Sent u a pm BHman

Jaysus my information is bad so  :D, i was told he was playing great stuff.

Reply sent.

Mickey McEntee is having a great year.

BallyhaiseMan

Mickey McEntee is well deserving of at least a trial for the county at Cornerback or wing back.
He plays midfield for Drung though doesnt he?

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 08, 2008, 02:50:56 PM
Mickey McEntee is well deserving of at least a trial for the county at Cornerback or wing back.
He plays midfield for Drung though doesnt he?

Corner forward but roams out the field.  He could play anywhere from 1-15.  He prob should get a trial but he is to one-footed and that wouldn't go well at county level.

BallyhaiseMan

whats the reckoning on David Givney as a future County Player???
Been Impressed with him the once ive seen him this year.
Hard to believe he was left off the county minor team last year isnt it  ::)

boojangles

Im not gonna rock the boat too much and Im gonna go for a narrow Drung win over Mountnugent.David Gibney will take stopping but a few raps from Ronan Crowe inc mite soften his cough a bit.I only seen Drung once and I was impressed with Michael McEntee in his roaming role.Ciaran Galliagn and Barry Watters will have to step up on the big day and show what we know they are capable of.Barry Watters was very selfish in the semi-final and he will have to keep the head up alot more if he is playing on the 40 again.I cant speak about Gibney as County material as Iv only seen him once but I heard great things about him such as an expert eye for a goal.Im sure he has potential and could be worked on but at the end of the day he's been racking up scores against Junior teams and he didnt make the County Under 21 team last year so he mite have a bit to go yet.
In the other final Im gonna have to go for Ballyhaise.The key man here is of course one Ray Cullivan.I dont think Redhills have anybody of the calibre close to marking Cullivan and with Barry McCrudden beside him it should definetely swing Midfield in Ballyhaises favour.If Ballyhaise can control that vital area and get the better ball into their forwards who in my opinion are better as a unit then Ballyhaises long wait should b over.
Ballyhaise on paper have the better outfit,I dont think anybody can question that but alot of it will come down to how Ballyhaises back line manages with Redhills forwards.Paddy Gumley is dangerous but as a small man he needs the right type of ball every time.They have been free scoring most of the year and Breifne Park will suit them but finals arent known for great open football but more about who is willing to work and tackle and put their body on the line and for them reasons Im gonna go for the more experienced and physically stronger Ballyhaise team to win by 3 points.
On a different note Id just like to ask SwadMan if he is reading what he makes of the current situation with the Intermediate Relegation play-off? At this stage I think its gone beyond a joke.Killinkere should be ashamed and embarrassed at holding up a competition for 5 weeks.The Bottom Line is Killinkere did not win a game in the Intermediate Championship or Qualifiers,the same as Drumalee,Laragh and Swanlinbar and therefore how they think they should be exempt from a relegation play-off baffles me.
I dont give a damn if it wasnt ratified properly at a County Board meeting or if Mark Gillick pushed it through himself or if Castlerahan got away with it last year,Killinkere if they had any decency would put a halt to all this Ulster Council or Croke Park appeal shit and let the games go ahead.Killinkere should be in the relegation play-off and if they are I sure as well hope we get to play them.
RANT OVER

tierworker blue

Howdy folks,
two things...
1. what do y'all think of our championship draw?
2. does anyone have a copy of the all ireland final they might be able to burn off for me? (if so pm me)

Swadman

QuoteThe current situation with the Intermediate Relegation play-off?
I agree with you B J to a point, This has dragged on to the point of absurdity. 3 teams have been hanging around since early August with no ball played in League or C/ship. Its a joke, I cant blame Killinkere too much for digging their heels in. C.B left the loophole there. I would have thought a swifter decision by Ulster Council would have been forthcoming and if/when its made (whichever way it goes)  do we have to wait for it to be batted up to Croke Park for an appeal ? This could really drag on into next year. There is a solution that would suit all sides. Promote the Junior winners, no team relegated from Intermediate this year. This would leave an even amount of teams in it for next year (no bye in 1st round, the cause of the problem) 

cavanmaniac

Cavan seem to have done alright in the draw by my reckoning.

Avoiding the big guns is a major and obvious bonus. Depending on the progress we make in the next few months you'd have to hope we will be at least competitive in that side of the draw. It should give a newly reformed and refocused panel of players something to target and work towards instead of looking ominously at the horizon all year before a date with Armagh or Tyrone or whoever. The minors can feel similarly as well, if they're as well marshalled as this year, a year off from routine last-minute defeats to Tyrone et al will do them the world of good.

Happy enough for now.

Mr. Pain

Quote from: boojangles on October 08, 2008, 09:15:10 PM
RANT OVER

Mr. Pain has been in Tokyo, Japan for the last 3 weeks participating in a martial arts competition but has returned to find his former nemises Boojangles using his catchphrase "Rant over!". Mr. Pain will try to educate Boojanges as to what a rant actually is. Taken from the Oxford Dictionary (which Mr. Pain wrote by the way):

rant

• verb speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.

• noun a spell of ranting.

— DERIVATIVES ranter noun.

— ORIGIN Dutch ranten 'talk nonsense, rave'.

In conclusion Mr. Pain would advise Boojangles to come up with his own catchphrase or signature finale to a post. Mr. Pain even suggests you come up with one, perhaps, in relation to your namesake Bill "Bojangles" Robinson (a wonderful tapdancer). This assumes you didn't coincidentally come up with the name yourself. So, dance the night away Boojangles and Mr. Pain will look forward to your choice. RANT OVER!

No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

shotstopper1

Two interesting finals ahead of us on Sunday,to be honest can't see Mountnugent troubling Drung on Sunday,but sure you never know,seen Drung one year in Div 1 being beat in the Intermediate final by Castlerahan in Div 3.Mountnugent though haven't done much in the championship so far to suggest they'll be winners,they were beat twice (by Shercock and Kildallan) and had victories over BBridge,Shannon Gaels & Tport (they beat both SG &TP in the league and were bet by a point by the Bridge) which suggests that they haven't really improved all that much during the Championship.
The Intermediate is harder to call,Div 1 strugglers Ballyhaise against Div 2 promotion hopefuls Redhills.If Bhaise can stay with Redhills for the first 15-20 mins then the game could be theirs.Of the games so far Redhills have shown the more firepower wheras Bhaise find it hard to get scores,especially goals.On the other hand Ballyhaise would have the better defence,if they can hold Rocky & Gumley it could go their way.Minagh will be a big loss as an attacking wing back,and Redhills would then have to rely on two minors in Leddy and Callan for their scores.If Bhaise shade the centrefield area, which I think they will with Cullivan and McCrudden,then I think Tierney Pickett etc will do enough for a Ballyhaise victory.

boojangles

Quote from: Mr. Pain on October 09, 2008, 12:45:05 PM
Quote from: boojangles on October 08, 2008, 09:15:10 PM
RANT OVER

In conclusion Mr. Pain would advise Boojangles to come up with his own catchphrase or signature finale to a post. Mr. Pain even suggests you come up with one, perhaps, in relation to your namesake Bill "Bojangles" Robinson (a wonderful tapdancer). This assumes you didn't coincidentally come up with the name yourself. So, dance the night away Boojangles and Mr. Pain will look forward to your choice. RANT OVER!

It was in part homage to yourself Mr.Pain that I used that sign-off,everybody on this thread associates it with you,Id never dare steal it!!
As regards my namesake Boojangles,its actually the name of the Niteclub in one of my favourite films,Chopper.A factual Austrailian film about a serial killer (Mark 'Chopper' Reid) played by Eric Bana, who gained notoriety due to the fact he never was convicted of Murder,even after killing 18 people.He went on to write 6 Best selling books about his experiences.And as he says himself-'I CANT EVEN SPELL''

Swad Man thats a good point you make but I dunno if the County Board would see it that way.I believe that if Killinkere are successful in their appeal that Laragh are going to object which will hold it up even more.We'l b lucky if its sorted this side of Xmas if thats the case, which is frustrating.We have had a nightmare year and the sooner we can put it behind us the better.This sort of thing dragging on doesnt encourage players to keep training.In fact 7 or 8 of our Senior team are now playing competitive soccer,which cant be a good thing for the GAA in my opinion.

Swadman

QuoteQuote from: boojangles on October 08,  7 or 8 of our Senior team are now playing competitive soccer,which cant be a good thing for the GAA
maybe not in the long term but at least they are keeping fit. I presume they would be available for ye whenever this fiasco gets resolved. Our guys are in "Winter hibernation mode" mentally anyway. Where do they play soccer and what is the soccer season in Cavan now? It used to be a winter sport which I always thought was strange. Why play a game, which is best played "on the deck", in a time when the ground conditions are at their worst. Though I suppose the GAA could be accused of the same, by the time the leagues and our relegation final is played.......

anglocelt39

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 09, 2008, 12:37:03 PM
Cavan seem to have done alright in the draw by my reckoning.

Avoiding the big guns is a major and obvious bonus. Depending on the progress we make in the next few months you'd have to hope we will be at least competitive in that side of the draw. It should give a newly reformed and refocused panel of players something to target and work towards instead of looking ominously at the horizon all year before a date with Armagh or Tyrone or whoever. The minors can feel similarly as well, if they're as well marshalled as this year, a year off from routine last-minute defeats to Tyrone et al will do them the world of good.

Happy enough for now.

Ah feckit Maniac you're surpassing yourself altogether this time, usually we leave it until the Anglo Celt has reported the first cuckoo of spring before somebody put's the hex on our up and coming minor prospects. We've done our bit with routine last minute defeats to Down and Derry over the years too now that I remember it. Being serious, I know where you're coming from and there is a chance for these lads to focus over the winter on possibly winning a game or two. Is this the lot the opted out of the Manning Cup and competed in Ulster at Under 16 level, if so will be interesting to see how that has worked.

Some soft side of the draw for the seniors all right, only in Ulster. We await the defeated provincial finalists from last year or a team that beat the All Ireland Champs over two games. Get over that and the 06 League champions might await. Bet our Kerry friends are happy enough not to be dealing with that sort of snake pit every year.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

Quote from: anglocelt39 on October 10, 2008, 10:29:10 AM
Some soft side of the draw for the seniors all right, only in Ulster. We await the defeated provincial finalists from last year or a team that beat the All Ireland Champs over two games. Get over that and the 06 League champions might await. Bet our Kerry friends are happy enough not to be dealing with that sort of snake pit every year.

Er yes, well when you put it like that it kinda changes the outlook alright. There are no easy games at this level Marty.

anglocelt39

You're right in your analysis though, we should have enough to be competitive against Fermanagh/Down and who knows. A win in that, a good performance in the next round, a win in the qualifiers would be a START of what will need to be a three year plan. Would like to see Under 21's getting a bit of attention as well.

Tommy has winter to find a midfield partnership, apart from Catherina McKiernan, was there any tall/rangy sportsperson from inside the County that DK did not try out in that position during his two year tenure?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds