Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 01, 2008, 12:39:55 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on October 01, 2008, 08:00:15 AM
Quote from: milltown row on September 30, 2008, 11:17:56 PM
if seannie Johnstone is their main scoring threat then ya have two options, double team him like Armagh did, or cut off the supply to him, win midfield and stop low early ball into him, cover the space in front and force a high ball in, hes not the tallest of players. but if hes on the ball he'll score. is Lynng playing or injured, another outlet for them.

If Johnston is double teamed the Gaels will have an extra man around the field and if they play their running game they will destroy Denn.  They were carrying the ball from the Full back line up the field against Ramor and getting scores.  Can't see any way that Denn will win this or even get close.

I wouldn't advocate double teaming a la Armagh but would go for the Tyrone approach i.e. swarming the man in possession.  It may be too late for the team to learn this approch be here is hoping.  As was said CG coud play the ball from full back so if we are to do anything, all player from No. 2 to 15 will have to tackle, hastle and harry.

The key to the swarm policy is hastling without fouling.  Hard to do.  Looking at from outside the best teams can skate on the edge of fouling.

I hope that we can give them a game as they should have a competative match before the AI club championship.  It will be sad indictment of the quality of Cavan senior football if they don't give a good account of themselves in Ulster.  Has any Cavan team won the Ulster Club championship.

no cavan team has ever won the Ulster Club Championship.Bailieboro made the final in 1995 but were controversially beaten by Kieran mc geeneys mullabawn

BallyhaiseMan

Myles and Boojangles

Thanks for your well wishes.

Denn Forever
Ourselves and Redhills do not like each other,

Our two big rivalries are Dumalee and Redhills.

They have blown away their opposition while we have struggled to an intermediate final,

Should be an interesting game.

Re the Denn/Killygarry game, most of us Haise lads left Breffini with Killygarry 0-5 0-1 up
i thought K'garry were going to annihilate Denn the way it was going,
Fair play to Denn though,
i cant see anyway of ye beating the Gaels though ,sorry DF.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 01, 2008, 02:23:47 PM
Myles and Boojangles

Thanks for your well wishes.

Denn Forever
Ourselves and Redhills do not like each other,

Our two big rivalries are Dumalee and Redhills.

They have blown away their opposition while we have struggled to an intermediate final,

Should be an interesting game.

thats not a bad thing, they seem pretty confident of beating you so go out and kick lumps of them  ;D

Denn Forever

cant see anyway of ye beating the Gaels though ,sorry DF.  

If I'm honest I can't see it either but hopefully we might give them a game so they will be ready for the club Ulster championship.  I think a cavan club team has to well in this before the county team will have something tot emulate.  Boojangles says the last cavan team to do well in it was Bailiboro in 1995.  Guess what happened in 96 and 97?

I think the best days football will be on the 12th.  Drung should have too much for Mountnugent and Ballyhaise/Redhills may be too close to call.  Hopefully it won't be too fractious!
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Niall Lynch as trainer

Ciaran Brady
Peter Reily as selectors.

Interesting idea,i was reading on the other thread Lynch studied Physical Education/Sports Science with Jason Ryan in Strawberry Hill
hopefully Lynch can have  an impact on Cavan like the one Ryan did with Wexford.

boojangles

Obviously playing yourselves down there BH Man but no harm in that. I still think you's have come through the tougher side as I thought Cootehill have improved alot and Lavey would have been my favourites along with yourselves.And thats not even mentioning your easy disposal of the mighty Drumalee :D :D :D
In hindsight I actually thought we were going alot better the year we were beaten in the final by Cuchulainns compared to the year after so I wouldnt worry too much about struggling through to the Final. At the end of the day I just think Ballyhaise will have too much experience and power for the smaller,faster Redhills team.But who knows?
Maybe The Bottom Brick will make a come back and offer us some insight into Redhils preparations???
I know he would be delighted to get on over Yours Truly if Redhills win.Myself and Himself had a difference of opinions 2 years ago when Drumalee were in the final,Thankfully we proved him wrong at the time but I doubt he's forgotten my dismissal of Redhills as a Junior club back then either.How the mighty(Drumalee) have fallen!!
Its a thin line and it shows that success is never guaranteed unless your willing to work hard.
Anyway best of Luck to all teams in the County finals and heres hoping for a humdinger in the Intermediate anyway.

mylestheslasher

If you think BHM is playing down his chances look at the sly fox Denn Forever. He has us all sure Denn will be beaten so badly we they'll never want to play football again :D

I'm heading to the bookies now to put the house on them.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 02, 2008, 01:50:02 PM
If you think BHM is playing down his chances look at the sly fox Denn Forever. He has us all sure Denn will be beaten so badly we they'll never want to play football again :D

Good luck with that  :P

Denn Forever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 02, 2008, 01:50:02 PM

Maybe the garden shed?
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Right lads Heres one,It was done on Hoganstand a few weeks back,but of course they are children!!!
im guessing between the lot of us we have seen most of these teams in action sometime this year

Every club is listed, Pick players you believe should be on the county panel next year
Should start a few arguments anyway  ;)

Arva-
Baileborough-
Ballinagh-
Ballyhaise-
Ballymachugh-
Belturbet-
Butlersbridge-
Castlerahan-
Cavan Gaels-
Cootehill-
Corlough-
Cornafean-
Cuchullains-
Crosserlough-
Denn-
Drumalee-
Drumgoon-
Drumlane-
Drung-
Gowna-
Kildallan-
Killinkere-
Kill-
Killygarry-
Killeshandra-
Kingscourt-
Knockbride-
Lacken-
Laragh-
Lavey-
Maghera-
Mountnugent-
Mullahoran-
Munterconnacht-
Ramor-
Redhills-
Shannon Gaels-
Shercock-
Swad-
Templeport-

BigMac

Just stumbled across this website. A bit like hoganstand but it would seem without the childish comments. Firstly i would like to start by saying i am looking forward to Tommy Carr taking control, the situation last year was a total shambles, and although Tommy Carr isnt everyones choice, at least he has a bit of managerial experience in compared to the other buffoon last year. There is a lot of good talent coming through the underage in the last few years so hopefully Tommy will be able to work with that and give us a few more good days that we crave.
With regards the county finals, there is two obvious favorites in Drung and the Gaels, with the intermediate seemingly more open. I would love to see Mountnugent win the junior, and with Givney playnig well and Ronan Caffery back playing after a long break due to injury, they have a chance. I think everything has went well for them this year with all the players coming back at the right time. Drung, as stated would be the obvious favorites, and rightly so, its not long since they were in an intermediate semi final. With Watters playing well and Reilly in goals, they should win it.
The intermediate seems open, but i think Ballyhaise are ready to finally take the step and go up to senior. Redhills are a very good young team and they will win it soon, but i just dont think this is their year. If Ballyhaise dont win it this year they might not get another chance for a long time. They are a bit older with McCrudden and a few others nearly finishing their football. Redhills are a seriously young team with a lot of good minors coming through. I feel that ballyhaises good young footballers from a few years ago like cullivan, mc cormack, costello and pickett are ready for the big step.
As for the senior, it seems sewn up. I just cant see how Denn can topple the gaels. I dont think the gaels have even gotten into top gear yet. If they do win it, hopefully they will do something in ulster, and if denn win (unlikely in fairness), i cant see them winning a game in ulster. Would love to see them win it though. It would be great for football in the county, and for the young lads around crosskeys and there would be some session in Hairy Neds!!  :P

BallyhaiseMan

Welcome to the Board BigMac

Very well balanced first post aswell.

Denn Forever

Thanks for the support BigMac but I think it will CG.  Not close to the Denn team so don't know if they are working out any tactics to beat CG.  The 19th will tell the tale. 

As you suggest, CG would have the best chance in Ulster and as I have said before, a good run in the Provincial Senior club championship would really put it up to the county team!

Question: Are all the CG players natives of Cavan?  Now Donal has gone, will we see more CG players on the county panel
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan Gaels players on the county team next year,well from the team that hammered Ramor

Next year

Definites for Senior panel

Sean Johnston
Nicholas Walsh
Michael Lyng
Anthony Forde
Darren Rabbite(if he doesnt get injured again)

Possibly Eoin Elliot as a sub goalkeeper

i cant see any of the others being brought into the senior panel.

mylestheslasher

I heard young Minagh of redhills got a straight red in the minor game against the gaels. He won't be able to play in the intermediate final now. A big loss for redhills.