Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

With apologies to the other posters on this board let me explain myself once and for all Hollow Man. 90% of what you have been posting on here for the last whatever has been highly relevant etc. etc. The other 10% that combines personalised/windup/smartarse/putdown etc. got a bit boring after a while, that's just my personal view mind I'm sure there are others found it entertaining. I'm not a bit proud to say that I've taken the view that if you're willing to dish it out, you should be prepared to take it. You say yourself and Boojangles are at each others throats, a while back it was yourself and Ballyhaise Man, a few weeks ago it was yourself and Myles. There's a common demoninator in these disagreements, can you work out what it is? In fairness to you in your exchanges with BHM you made no bones about the fact that you were deliberately setting out to wind the lad up so no ambiguity there.

I have shag all to add to this board most of the time and I've had my disagreements with plenty of people (Myles about Keogan, Maniac about too many things to reproduce here). I'd like to think the disagreements have mostly been about some aspect of Cavan football which we are all passionate about and we've, mostly, agreed to differ and move on.

So there you have it. Oh and as regards any vote you have my vote to stop posting on the basis that I would have found this forum much more enjoyable, informative and entertaining two years back, but sure that's my own view which you asked for.

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Babe Ruth 47

Can anyone tell me on what date is the county final? I think it is either the 12th / 19th October

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Mr. Pain

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 13, 2008, 01:20:18 PM
I believe I can now tell you Mr Pain - I told you so.....

Yes myles you can now tell Mr. Pain that you told him so. However, at the time of Mr. Pain's comment he was correct in what he said. Carr was given time to accept and then refused and was then given more time to decide and Mr. Pain reckons he was given a more attractive offer before he accepted! ;)
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Gold

Whos gonna win your club championship?

I took in the Denn, Knockbride first round game one friday night a few months back and Denn looked quite a good side although the 2 Reillys nearly pulled it back for Knockbride near the end. Are the Gaels certs this year or can anyone cause a shock?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gold on September 15, 2008, 03:34:35 PM
Whos gonna win your club championship?

I took in the Denn, Knockbride first round game one friday night a few months back and Denn looked quite a good side although the 2 Reillys nearly pulled it back for Knockbride near the end. Are the Gaels certs this year or can anyone cause a shock?

I'll be predictable and say the Gaels will win. Question is are they going to be up to much in Ulster.

Denn Forever

We got the better side of the draw although I don't know what the mindset of the team will be like after the tragic death of Martin Cahill's brother.

It brings everything into perspective really.  RIP
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 15, 2008, 06:35:17 PM
We got the better side of the draw although I don't know what the mindset of the team will be like after the tragic death of Martin Cahill's brother.

It brings everything into perspective really.  RIP

Very true words.Worked for a few weeks for Shane,didnt know him too well but seemed a very sound fella.RIP.

Hollow dont think anybody is gonna vote for you to leave the Board in fairness.As Anglo said 90% of the time what you post is informative and all that but when you start the smart shit(like the Scumalee jibe) thats what I have a problem with.I would call that a personal attack as bad as what Anglo called you.You said you dont tolerate people talking shit,if you disagreed with my comments about Eddie Reilly then explain your opinion-like I did?
Anyway thats all Im gonna say about it,I dont come on here to argue.Maybe debate but definetely not argue.
PS- Mr Pain,are you related to Hollow Man or sometin,you seem like a big brother watching his back or mayb its just me??

mylestheslasher

For what its worth I don't want Hollow man to leave the board. I would like him to simply have a bit more manners and respect for some of the people on here. If you disagree with someone you don't need to jump in two footed and start slagging. I like to think that type of stuff stays on the Hoganstand website for minors, while we would be a bit older and wiser.

I didn't hear about Martin Cahills brother until. It is sad news indeed. May he rest in peace.

mylestheslasher

Carr hits the right note from the start, I find it refreshing that we have a manager that seems to be talking the talk that I have been waiting to hear for years, now lets see if he walks the walk too.

Carr looking for commitment
17 September 2008

New Cavan manager Tommy Carr insists he will have no problem dropping players from his panel if they are not fully committed to the cause.

The former Dublin and Roscommon supremo is determined to revive the Breffni County's footballing fortunes, but says this can only be achieved if the players are fully committed.

"The one thing I've learned in my experience as a manager is that if you have players on the panel and they are not fully committed, then no matter how talented they are, you are better off without them," he said.

"No matter how much effort is being put in by the management and selectors, it will not bring success or an improvement of standards unless every player in the panel is willing to give his all.

"For me, that will be important in my working with Cavan. And neither should the manager feel that taking over a county team should be some sort of opportunity for the glory of playing in a big championship game in Croke Park.

"For a start, you have to want to do it and I've given a commitment to Cavan and want to try to do a job for them to the best of my ability.

"I feel that perhaps too many guys look at the TV and they see Croke Park and big qualifying games and All-Ireland semi-finals and think that is brilliant.

"But that is only a very small percentage of what is involved in the whole thing. At the end of the day, it's the commitment from management and players together that makes for a successful county team."

PhilsJemmysField

PROPOSED CHANGES FOR THE A.C.F.L. LEAGUE BY THE COUNTY BOARD

•   Semi Finals in all divisions
•   Division 1 to 3 relegation semi finals to allow 4 games without county players (This gives clubs with county players chance to get out of relegation)
•   Rounds of league to be completed before championship starts on Master Plan

PROPOSED CHANGES FOR CHAMPIONSHIP

•   Move 2 teams from Intermediate to Senior.
•   This leaves 16 teams – 4 groups of 4, top 2 quarter finals, bottom team relegation.  Semi finalists from previous year grade into each group.
•   Same procedure for the Intermediate and Junior
•   Allow teams who want to play in Junior Championship who have 2 teams play and promotion from Junior B to Junior.

Condition:  If Cavan make it to An All Ireland Championship Quarter Final that the championship reverts to a straight knockout.

Other Options:

1.   Straight Knockout Competition
2.   Run on a league basis – 4 groups of 4.  A shield final could be run for the bottom 2 in each group.

"We would appreciate your comments or any other suggestions for the format of our league and championship"

Please reply before 03rd October with views.

Thanking you.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on September 17, 2008, 11:31:57 AM

•   Semi Finals in all divisions - No problems with that.
•   Division 1 to 3 relegation semi finals to allow 4 games without county players (This gives clubs with county players chance to get out of relegation) - Not sure I understand what you mean here. I don't believe county men should be excused from any club fixtures. Club fixtures should be arranged so that they don't conflict with county matches.
•   Rounds of league to be completed before championship starts on Master Plan - absolutley agree

•   Move 2 teams from Intermediate to Senior. - Good Idea
•   This leaves 16 teams – 4 groups of 4, top 2 quarter finals, bottom team relegation.  Semi finalists from previous year grade into each group. - Good Idea
•   Same procedure for the Intermediate and Junior - Good Idea
•   Allow teams who want to play in Junior Championship who have 2 teams play and promotion from Junior B to Junior. - I like this idea but does it mean that a junior club can get relegated to junior B? That might not go down well.

Condition:  If Cavan make it to An All Ireland Championship Quarter Final that the championship reverts to a straight knockout. - Is this workable?, surely it depends on what stage the championship is at. This rule could result in total farce.

Other Options:

1.   Straight Knockout Competition - I prefer a system of groups then knockouts. It gives teams a chance to play a few games.
2.   Run on a league basis – 4 groups of 4.  A shield final could be run for the bottom 2 in each group. - Forget the shield, no players will be interested in that. Relegation play offs for the bottom teams in each group.

"We would appreciate your comments or any other suggestions for the format of our league and championship"

Please reply before 03rd October with views.

Thanking you.

BallyhaiseMan

There should be no semi finals or finals in the League,
it should be
Top team wins the league and Second also gets promoted.
Its the way they do it in Armagh i believe.

as for the  Leagues finishing before Championship starts, Nice idea in theory,But if Cavan win a game or two,as usual the league will be jacked in for a month or two.

Move 2 teams from Intermediate to Senior. -dont know if i agree.i sure as hell wouldnt want promotion for finishing as runners up in the intermediate!
•   Allow teams who want to play in Junior Championship who have 2 teams play and promotion from Junior B to Junior. - Agree with this
Cavan Gaels ,Crosserlough and Killygarry have the top 3 Junior B or Reserve teams in the county
They would more than hold their own in the Junior Championship and should be allowed to participate.

If Cavan make it to An All Ireland Championship Quarter Final that the championship reverts to a straight knockout. -
Agree with Myles, how the hell are you meant to change the format mid-season,It aint fair on Managers and Teams who may be designing their Training programmes around the current structure.Farcical idea.

Straight Knockout Competition-No,Teams train to hard nowadays just to be one and done in championship football,

Groups of 3 and 4 like it was before is the correct way to go,at least it gives a team 2 or 3 games.

Denn Forever

•   Semi Finals in all divisions  To what end?  Is this not more games.  I would suggest that a league is a league, those best over the whole league deserve to be champions
•   Division 1 to 3 relegation semi finals to allow 4 games without county players (This gives clubs with county players chance to get out of relegation)
More games.  Those who do worst during the year should be relegated.  This system as I would undertstand it could mean that the team that finished fourth from bottom could be relegated if they lose their semi final.  Hardly seems fair?
•   Rounds of league to be completed before championship starts on Master Plan 12 games in 3 months as the league stands.  When will the league start?  February?  Would fly in the face of GAA plans to prevent player burnout i.e. no training over the winter.  Sounds good but what about county players and their loss to their clubs before the ulster championship.  And when do the semi finals (both relegation and winners) get played?

•   Move 2 teams from Intermediate to Senior.
OK but how are the lucky one chosen?
•   This leaves 16 teams – 4 groups of 4, top 2 quarter finals, bottom team relegation. Similar to what it is at the moment
Semi finalists from previous year grade into each group.What does this mean?
•   Same procedure for the Intermediate and Juniorsee above
•   Allow teams who want to play in Junior Championship who have 2 teams play and promotion from Junior B to Junior.Sound good.  Player should always try and play at the highest level

Condition:  If Cavan make it to An All Ireland Championship Quarter Final that the championship reverts to a straight knockout.
See below.  Maybe for the next two years it should revert to staight knockout so it can give Carr the best chance without having to worry about a complicated League/Championship putting demand on the players

Other Options:

1.   Straight Knockout CompetitionSee Above
2.   Run on a league basis – 4 groups of 4.  A shield final could be run for the bottom 2 in each group.
That way every one has a chance of winning something?  Championship is championship, old school

It is good to see that Cavan GAA are thinking about things but my reading of it is that there will be more games and these games will be compressed into a very narrow time frame.  It also demands that clubs buy into this and are willing to work with the county board and with other clubs.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Jaysus lads, I'm suprised a few of ye that are playing ball aren't bothered to comment on the proposed structure above. Where is Hollowman, CC1, Homer etc etc?