Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Seems to be a done deal all right. Indo this morning refers to Meath making a late bid for his services so he must have something to offer. Mind you it seems to be a bit of a managers merry go round for certain blokes once they get on the treadmill. Anyway, being positive for a moment and theres plenty of reason to be positive, we weren't a million miles away from some reasonable teams this year with a poor enough system and a manager that was out of his depth. If Carr is not stymied by clubs/county board etc. there should be some scope for improvement. Would be good if somebody like Graham or Morris were brought into the setup with an eye to the future.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

The GAA

These county managerial appointments amuse me. on what basis would you give tommy carr the job of managing your county senior team?

mylestheslasher

Well for me he is the best of what is left. He achieved some success with Roscommon in getting them to a connaught final and to the all ireland quarter finals. He is a tough disciplinarian, which is very important for any manager coming into Cavan. He has been in the media spotlight previously and has managed Dublin. The guy will demand respect and I imagine will lead by example in this regard, unlike our previous manager.

There maybe better more experienced and more successful managers out there but they will not want to come to Cavan. Our stock is low at the moment and we can only get the best of the people who are interested. I think Carr will be a decent appointment if he accepts.

What do you find so amusing about the appointment?

anglocelt39

Tough enough to disagree with that assessment Myles. If it goes through will represent a bit of playing safe by the County Board, if they went for the next Jason Ryan and it backfired we'd have hell to play. The probably see somebody like Carr as giving some chance of a small bit of a return to respectability. Anyway, the manager can only take you so far, or so Shanahan/Mullane/McGrath etc. have discovered in the other code.

Wonder if they lifted the phone to any specific individuals as part of the process. Heard Mickey Moran was saying the other day that he was buggered if he'd be applying/sending in his CV for inter county positions , if you want Mickey, lift the phone it seems.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 12, 2008, 02:35:07 PM
Heard Mickey Moran was saying the other day that he was buggered, if you want Mickey, lift the phone it seems.

Now that's just outrageous anglocelt39, I had you down as better than that.

;)

Hollow Man

BallyhaiseMan

It seems Tommy Carr is the choice,

Cant say im thrilled,he wouldnt have been my choice.

Good luck to him though, He will need it.

anglocelt39

Quote from: cavanmaniac on September 12, 2008, 03:29:31 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 12, 2008, 02:35:07 PM
Heard Mickey Moran was saying the other day that he was buggered, if you want Mickey, lift the phone it seems.

Now that's just outrageous anglocelt39, I had you down as better than that.

;)

You dirty, dirty dog you maniac. Let's just be asolutely clear now, I heard it SECOND HAND, OK

anglocelt39

Quote from: Hollow Man on September 12, 2008, 03:44:26 PM
;D Classic!

Indeed it is. Excellent play on words, genuinely humourous, no offence intended or taken. Go away and study it for a year or two and see if you can learn likewise, shiteforbrains. Best of luck against the Gaels while I'm at it.

anglocelt39

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 12, 2008, 08:29:00 PM
Quote from: Hollow Man on September 12, 2008, 03:44:26 PM
;D Classic!

Indeed it is. Excellent play on words, genuinely humourous, no offence intended or taken. Go away and study it for a year or two and see if you can learn likewise, shiteforbrains. Best of luck against the Gaels while I'm at it.

Sorry, can I just update the above for "posted by somebody who has a relatively consistent record in making reasoned, relevant and intelligent posting contributions. "

Think that covers most of it but sure if there are any other matters that I feel might be of relevance to the remedial education program of the Hollow Skulled one I'll post in due course

Mr. Pain

Whoa whoa whoa! Hold on a second there Anglo Celt. You have the audacity to call Mr. Pain's buddy Hollow a shitforbrains! Mr. Pain fails to see the reason for this seemingly unprovoked attack. Mr. Pain can guarantee you one thing as he has read many of Hollow's posts: In a duel, you would be the shitforbrains! This man knows his shit. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

mylestheslasher

I believe I can now tell you Mr Pain - I told you so.....

Carr drives into Cavan

Cavan manager Tommy Carr
13 September 2008

Former Roscommon and Dublin football boss Tommy Carr is the new team-manager of the Cavan senior team.

It was understood that Carr would be announced at the Cavan County Board's monthly meeting on Monday night next but, instead, the board issued a statement last night (Friday).

The statement, after a specially convened management meeting of the board, confirmed Carr's three-year appointment:

"At a specially convened management meeting of Cavan County Board held tonight (Friday), the name of Tommy Carr was put forward as the new Cavan senior team-manager for 2008.

"He will be appointed for a three-year term. He will be presented to county board delegates at a meeting in the Hotel Kilmore on Monday night. His backroom team will be appointed in due course."

Eight candidates had been interviewed for the position and the number was whittled down to three.

Carr succeeds Donal Keogan in the hot seat following the latter's resignation after Cavan lost out to Kildare in this year's All-Ireland qualifiers.

Best of luck to Tommy Carr. I hope he now brings in at least one local selector into his team. I think I'd like to see Bernard Morris in there. An honest to God footballer and a man with no clouds of shit hanging around him (as far as I know)

tierworker blue

so the wait is over and tommy carr is about to take over the biggest and most high profile job in (cavan) football...the very best of luck to him, and here's hoping we have something to shout about and be proud of before long. there seems to be quite a few people who want to knock him before he even gets a chance, but i guess you'll always get that and it really is hard to please all of the people all of the time (of course, as always, these are normally the first folk to hop on the bandwagon when it gets going, although the breffni blue bandwagon will need a good servicing before it gets revved up methinks!)
a lot of high profile names have been bandied about, but being realistic, these people were never going to take the cavan job. personally, i think tommy carr is a decent appointment, and hopefully he can instigate a set up that will take us forward, instead of backwards as we have been going for the past while. he is known as a strict manager and discipline is a high priority with him, and that is exactly what we need. i have no doubt that a few years of a professional set up will create a good foundation that can be built on for the future. if mickey graham is left alone to work well with the minors and they are fed into a solid senior set up, there is no reason that we cannot challenge for honours in the future...it can be done, and it is amazing what a few wins and some confidence in ourselves could do! if someone is told every day that they are ugly, very soon they  believe that they are ugly. to run with that analogy for a minute, in footballing terms, we have been called ugly so often (barring a peak in the mid to late 90's i've never seen any success and that air of always being at that bottom of the pile permeates throughout everyone who is blue blooded!) that it seems to be part of our mindset and is definetly one of the biggest mountains that must be climbed. i hope he brings in a few good selectors from within the county who have no personal agendas (less parochial...more unbiased!) and i also think that the involvement of a good a sports psychologist would'nt do any harm at all...its important to be physically top of the heap, but i also think that we need some mental motivation to reinstil the belief that we can stand up and be counted like anyone else. now i know many people are of the opinion that that kind of thing is mumbo jumbo, but what im talking about is'nt about trickery or gimmicks...just basic man motivation (like what gerry mc entee has been doing for kilkenny for the past while...it certantly has'nt done them any harm, eh?!)
i have often been slated for being too optimistic about the breffni blues and what we could achieve (the glass is usually half full in tierworker!) but i have a feeling in my gut that things are going to start getting better (either that or it's indegestion...!) and that the blue army, the true aristocrats of ulster football (that statement usually draws bewildered looks from most people who don't read history books!) will be able to stand proud before too long...the only way is up after all, eh?!

an cabhan abu...

Hollow Man

Anglo Celt, that was a totally unwarranted attack.

If you really want, and if it will make you feel better, the Hollow Man will cease posting on here - the forum is gone to hell anyway.

Say the word my pretentious chum. If you can't stand someone who doesn't tolerate your shite - or any shite talk for that matter - say it and I will stop posting here. Myself and Boojangles are at each other's throats full time, but he doesn't resort to random attack, but if that's your style go for it!

Should the Hollow Man quit the board? Vote now.

anglocelt39

Can't really disagree with anything that the Tierworker man has said. Carr has some job on his hands and things might have to get worse before they get better. If he's a strict disciplinarian and you believe half of what you read in forums like this, there could be an awful lot of lads due to get gate. No problem doing something like that in Dublin where you can go out and find a few more running robots to join the panel, we wouldn't quite have the numbers to accommodate wholesale sackings so lets hope players buy into a more professional way of doing things.

If he gets the discipline thing sorted out the measure of whether he can be successful or not might depend on how good he is at getting players to believe in themselves i.e. despite all the one points losses at minor and under 21 level and all the senior championship defeats over the last few years you are as good as the rest of them. That's what the late E Coleman seemed to be good at and what DK didn't seem strong at, you got the impression in the last two years that players had nearly conceded championship defeat before the ball was thrown in, maybe that's a bit harsh but just an impression. Interesting times, time to be positive, Division 3 will be no cake walk next year.