Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: cornafean on September 09, 2008, 09:37:15 AM
Was anything said at the County Board meeting last night?
The word from the County Board meeting last night was-20 men applied for the job.8 Men were interviewed in the last week and it is now down to 3 Men.NONE are from inside the County.My source from the meeting got the feeling that its gonna b Tommy Carr but he could b wrong.
The dispute over the Intermediate Relegation Play-off was also settled last night with it decided that Killenkere will now have to play in the Play-offs.
Was at the Ballyhaise-Cootehill game Saturday evening in Drumalee Saturday evening.Was actually doing umpire.It was a very strange game with lots of over the top tackling,which the referee John Emo did feck all about.There was a very strong breeze blowing towards the complex end in the 1st half which left Ballyhaise up 5-0 at HT.Cootehill started 2nd half well with Paul McCarney being brought on at Full-Forward giving Sean McCormack a torrid time,he was brought down for a penalty but the Cootehill Goalie kicked it wide.A mistake from the Ballyhaise corner back led to Colm Smith firing home the only goal of the game.Cootehill though failed to keep hitting McCarney with the ball for some reason and Ballyhaise got it back all level.The Cootehill sub NO 13 I think then had a serious chance for a goal(although he shud have just fisted it over the bar) but he pulled his shot wide.Ali Pickett who had been very well marked by Barry McGahan got loose for once and fired over what seemed like the winner but up popped our friend NO13 the sub to make amends for the earlier miss and fire over a superb point with the final kick of the game.
Its all to play for Next week.Have Cootehill missed the boat? All I will say though is that both teams will have to improve if they are to win the Championship outright.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: CavanCola on September 09, 2008, 11:05:05 AM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/carr-to-drive-meath-1472089.html

Carr has been the favourite for the Cavan job since last week when it was strongly speculated that he had been offered it. This was denied by Cavan officials yesterday.

Cavan County Board met last night and delegates were informed that their search is now down to three potential candidates.

Cavan employed the services of SportsTracker to recruit a manager and Peter McGrath, the former Down manager, helped with the interview process.

Justin McNulty, Dominic Corrigan and Paddy O'Rourke are also thought to be under consideration for the role.

This report doesn;t make sense. It says thata they are down to 3 potential candidates but that 3 others (McNulty, Corrigan and O Rourke) are under consideration. Didn't think of McNulty - anyone know what he was like with Mullahoran. Boojangles - Did your contact at the CB meeting get any feeling for the time frame of a decision?

boojangles

Well there was no definite time-frame given but Philip Smith did say that he had hoped to have a man to ratify at the meeting last night but he said it was a possibility that the delegates may b asked back next Monday night to ratify a manager.
I'd say that the 3 names are Tommy Carr,Paddy O Rourke and Dominic Corrigan.
As regards the Mullahoran game,I wasnt at it but I believe Mullahoran had the winning of it.My father said to me during the week that Mullahoran stood a chance once Joe McQuillan was refereeing it,Joehas no love for the Gaels and any time the 2 play he always gives whatevers in it to Mullahoran so he was true to form anyway.Joe can b an excellent referee when he wants to be but he takes sides and thats the worst trait any referee can have in my book.
I also believe Eddie showed himself up for what he is again.The man gives Mullahoran a bad name and Mullahoran may not realise it but they are probably better off without him.He dictates to everybody on the team and he wants to take every free.(A bit like McCabe with the County team)I believe he was taking frees off Paul the Gunner when he should have been staying inside himself so they had a target man.The man never thinks about the team.He may b a sound fella off the field I dunno but I know on the field he's nothing but a gypsy and Il stand by that.
I think Iv wasted enough of my time ranting about him.

Hollow Man

Quote.He may b a sound fella off the field I dunno but I know on the field he's nothing but a gypsy

Coming from a Scumalee player that is high praise indeed.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Hollow Man on September 09, 2008, 09:14:53 PM
Quote.He may b a sound fella off the field I dunno but I know on the field he's nothing but a gypsy

Coming from a prize winning tosspot that's right up there with your usual standard of contribution
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

In order of my preference.
1.Justin McNulty
2.Dominic Corrigan
3.Paddy O Rourke(ive heard hes real oldschool like O Dwyer,Lots of laps etc)

would still rather either of those 3 than Tommy Carr.

boojangles

Quote from: Hollow Man on September 09, 2008, 09:14:53 PM

Il let ya away with that one Hollow,I dont believe in reporting to the Mods.Supposedly ya know my identity Hollow ya tell me?Im sure ourselves and Ramor will cross paths in the next while.How about you come in and mark me for a while some day and if I come out with the same personal shit that one Eddie the Great does then you can call me Scum all ya want,I mite even let ya get a rap in at me.Until then keep it shut,OK?

Mr. Pain

It appears some peoplem are on the blob!

BHM for what reason would you have Justin McNulty at the top of the list? What intercounty managerial experience?
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Mr. Pain on September 10, 2008, 09:35:17 AM

BHM for what reason would you have Justin McNulty at the top of the list? What intercounty managerial experience?

I'd be interested in knowing that too. Have you heard good things about him in Mullahoran? I would be really against Corrigan and O Rourke. O Rourke got sweet FA out of a half decent Down side and Corrigans lot went down hill big time in Sligo. I'd put Carr above those two anyhow. McNulty I know nothing about, but he does have a very good football career behind him at the top level and does  have some Cavan club football experience. Unless someone tells me something else about him though, I would still have Carr top of the list.

According to the TV3 news this morning Carr says he has not been approached about the Meath job and is waiting to hear back from Cavan. Its hard to know what is the truth and what isn't.

Mr. Pain

You will find that a lot of lies are being told throughout this process. ;)
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

North Longford

Was talking to a well respected TV pundit yesterday who reckoned Carr has just about been offered the Cavan job but had not commited yet. Same man thought this was because he would have a bit of a hankering for the Meath job and wanted to see how this panned out. Same man thought Carr would be a good appointment for either county.

cavanmaniac

Out of all the candidates on the list, Tommy Carr seems to come closest to ticking the necessary boxes that come with this challenging job of work - he's his own man, takes no shit, is a recognised disciplinarian and doesn't kow-tow to big names.

If he got the proper support from the county board - i.e. no sponsors or clubs getting shirty when their man isn't in there or gets fucked off the panel for being a waster - then I think Tommy Carr is someone our young players would respect and look up to, and he would have us in a solid, if perhaps unspectacular position in two years time.

I hope he gets offered it and I hope he takes it. At least our pursuing him would suggest that someone on the CB recognises that the shower of posers and wasters currently defaming our county jersey need a tough hand to batter them into shape.

boojangles

Im in 2 minds over Tommy Carr.One side off me sees the need for a strict disciplinarian that Im sure as an Army man he would bring but on the other side,what sort of new ideas or tactics would he bring? From what I hear he is lacking ideas along the line-something that really frustrates me about a manager.I couldnt give a bollix if a manager doesnt know how to spell 'Ladders' or 'Cones' but he has to know a footballer and should b quick on his feet during matches.Some clubs in Cavan take these requirements in a Manager for granted.
I was also speaking to a man during the week and he reckons that he will object at the County Board meeting if Tommy Carr is sent for ratification.I dont know if that will make any difference but it shows that you will never please everybody.
I also think alot of us are overlooking Dominic Corrigans credentials,forgetting about Sligo.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 10, 2008, 09:45:52 AM

I'd be interested in knowing that too. Have you heard good things about him in Mullahoran? I would be really against Corrigan and O Rourke. O Rourke got sweet FA out of a half decent Down side and Corrigans lot went down hill big time in Sligo. I'd put Carr above those two anyhow. McNulty I know nothing about, but he does have a very good football career behind him at the top level and does  have some Cavan club football experience. Unless someone tells me something else about him though, I would still have Carr top of the list.

According to the TV3 news this morning Carr says he has not been approached about the Meath job and is waiting to hear back from Cavan. Its hard to know what is the truth and what isn't.

Yes i do know that Justin McNulty is highly regarded  over on the Longford border,
My source is a prominent Mullahoran Player and has been for the last 10 years plus.
Off Topic,
i know hes not in for the job, But ive heard great things about Pascal Canavan aswell,The Mullahoran lads supposedly would swear by him.

mylestheslasher

According to the national media Tommy Carr is to be named manager this evening.