Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Better side of the draw for us!

Didn't see the CG Mullahoran game.  Were Mullahoran unlucky?

Saw the Ramor game.  Kingscourt were very disappointing so can't really gauge how good Ramor are.  Ramor broke all the ball at midfield and the Ramor players were always first to it.

That said, the number 11 for Ramor really caught the eye.  He seemed to have all the time in the world or maybe he wanted all the time in the world.  If I was asked to describe his play it would be that it was that he was very "floaty".  I wonder how he would cope with tight marking.  Maybe he makes his own space whatever the opposition.  The game against CG will tell the tale.

Who are in the minor semis and will they be played as a double header with the seniors?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Babe Ruth 47

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 07, 2008, 08:51:54 PM
I don't think you were at the game Babe Ruth as you couldn't possibly have gotten home and to your PC quicker than me. Eddie missed alright from the 45 but it was a big ask. Good second half. Gaels upped it a gear after the break and looked like they'd go on to win it easy with Johnston starting to beat Sheridan. But Mullahoran got a goal and a point in quick succession to put them ahead. Gaels upped it again and although they only won by a point it didn't really look like the got into full flow.

Eddie, Paul Brady & Philip Brady carried Mullahoran for a long time but they just don't have the quality to compete with the Gaels. Johnston was up to his old tricks, lying down after a brush across the head-very hard to like fella. McQuillan was shocking in the first half giving everything to Mullahoran and the linesman watched Fergal Brady drag Paul O'Donnell around the field for half an hour without bringing it to the refs attention.

Afraid I was at it Lawrence, just got home very quickly, living very close! Agree with you about McQuillan, I cant understand how he is an intercounty referee, diabolical.

CC1

Quote from: Celt_Man on September 07, 2008, 02:21:03 PM
what this about the shercock management walking away???
Not saying too much about it Celt man, as you can imagine I don't want to give too many details away. There was just a difference of opinion between some of the players and some of the management, so one of the selectors and the trainer (who was linked with the selector) resigned. Meath man Martin Barry is training us from this week onward.

Real pity that the coach and the selector had to leave because things were going nice and smoothly. A change at this stage in the season isn't exactly ideal but thats life and we must get on with it. We must go onward and upward from here on, we have a tough semi final against Drung who certainly won't be any push overs and if we can't get ourselves up for this game we wouldn't stand a chance anyway. Barry is a top class trainer (he won the Junior All Ireland as manager of Meath) so we'll be prepared for the huge task ahead. It's purely down to the players now.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

North Longford

Was at the Gaels/Mullahoran game and would concur with all that was said. The only other point though is  that Danny Brady missed a very kickable free just before Eddie's free and also missed a couple of other handy enough chances. In fairness to Sheridan I thought he did a good job on Johnston. Was dissapointed with Nicholas Walsh, thought he'd cause more trouble as he had a big size advantage over seanie smith.
Gaels definitely the better football team but fair play to Mullahoran. They put in a fierce effort but I'd have to agree that some of it was a bit over the line and McQuillan and his linesmen were atrocious. How Eddie managed to get to the end of the game without even a yellow card is unreal. He was mad to get a hold of chesty after the game too whatever chesty said. Harldy anyone left the stand for about 2 minutes after the game to see if he'd get a swing at him. He's some boy but I reckon chesty must have said something to him becasue he was sitting disconsolate on the field way off on his own for about 30 seconds after the game and then all of a sudden he goes mad.

Lawrence of Knockbride

In fairness to McQuillan I think he's usually a good ref and I defended him on a different thread after the Kerry v Cork game. But in the first half last night I couldn't believe what he was at although he was a lot closer than me to the action than I was. Sheridan did do quite well but Johnston's ability to turn onto either foot will catch out any man that gets that bit too tight without winning the ball. I also agree with the comments on Walsh. Having heard about, but not seen, his performance against Lacken I thought the county could have another option on their hands but Seanie Smith did quite well on him. Eddie had a very good game and good to see that someone on the county panel can find the distance from long range frees off the ground, if not always the accuracy. The problem is he wants to take them all and he tried one from beside the sideline on the 45 in the first half. Typical Cavan football. No interest in working the ball to a better position. All or nothing.
I'll call over for tea some evening Babe Ruth...........

BallyhaiseMan

We are dead lucky to get a replay out of the Cootehill game on Saturday, we were an utter shambles,

Cootehill will be kicking themselves.

Replay is on Friday Night at 8pm

mylestheslasher

Looks like Tommy Carr is going to get the job.

Lawrence of Knockbride

For f**k sake Myles. You might as well as have put ..................s after that comment. Give us some details, back-up or whatever.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 08, 2008, 06:02:22 PM
For f**k sake Myles. You might as well as have put ..................s after that comment. Give us some details, back-up or whatever.

I heard it from a lad from Roscommon that Carr has the job if he wants it. Don't really know how reliable this guy is so don't quote me on it............ :D

Mr. Pain

So far off the mark lads. Word is Carr turned it down and is interested in the Donegal job although news this morning states he threw in a bid to become the next Meath manager. Not known yet who will take the job.
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

cornafean

Was anything said at the County Board meeting last night?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Hollow Man

QuoteWas anything said at the County Board meeting last night?

You should know

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Mr. Pain on September 09, 2008, 08:49:50 AM
So far off the mark lads. Word is Carr turned it down and is interested in the Donegal job although news this morning states he threw in a bid to become the next Meath manager. Not known yet who will take the job.

Well if he turned it down then he must have been offered it, which is what I was told. I am getting a sinking feeling now that Stephen King will be successful.

Mr. Pain

No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

CavanCola

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/carr-to-drive-meath-1472089.html

Carr has been the favourite for the Cavan job since last week when it was strongly speculated that he had been offered it. This was denied by Cavan officials yesterday.

Cavan County Board met last night and delegates were informed that their search is now down to three potential candidates.

Cavan employed the services of SportsTracker to recruit a manager and Peter McGrath, the former Down manager, helped with the interview process.

Justin McNulty, Dominic Corrigan and Paddy O'Rourke are also thought to be under consideration for the role.