Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

I agree with what Myles & Cavanmaniac are saying. We pick the best of what's available and what we need is a long-termist manager with no ego and who will instill discipline. Sounds like Tom Carr. I know a couple of the Roscommon lads that worked with him and although they have a laugh at him as he was quite dour they say he was tough and got relatively good results. He was dealing with the greatest band of bastards you ever came across. Some of the stories out of that camp in the year Carr was there make the naked pool look very mild. I don't mean to go on about it but if in two years time after Stephen King's reign (excuse the pun) comes to a shambolic end and we all talk about how we still need a disciplinarian won't we just have wasted two years and some good footballers when we could make a simple and less risky appointment now?

cornafean

Quote from: cavanmaniac on September 04, 2008, 12:04:45 PM
As for the nudie pool in McSeains, I thought they did that there every Saturday night?

jaysus shut up willya, the next thing you know the Guards will be here  :o
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

BallyhaiseMan

so the list goes like

Dominic Corrigan
Paddy O Rourke
Stephen King
Tommy Carr

Has Jody Gormley officially dropped out of the race?

Corrigan for me.

anglocelt39

Heard from a reasonable source that the Reilly bloke from Dunsany is/was in the picture. Currently involved with Navan O Mahony's and was, I think, Involved with Kingscourt when they last got to a County Fnal (99??). Some story that Meath were courting him but he didn't want to hop straight in there. Where it's currently up to, who knows. Hear there may be some white smoke come Monday night.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

Big Weekend ahead lads, I wasnt too hot on the predictions last week so here it goes.

Hotel Kilmore Senior Championship Relegation Match
Belturbet v Knockbride
Venue: Kingspan Breffni Park

I Fancy Knockbride to win this, by 3
Belturbet have fallen badly from the great improvements of last year

Saturday, 06th September 2008 @ 6pm
Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Championship Quarter Final
Redhills v Bailieboro

Baileboro to spring a bit of a suprise for me by 2,

Ballyhaise v Cootehill (Game at 4.30pm)
Venue: St. Felim's Park, Drumalee

Will be a tough game,id hope the greater intensity of playing in division one will see us nick it by a few points,
B'Haise by 2

Saturday, 06th September 2008 @ 5.30pm
Hotel Kilmore Junior Championship Quarter Final
Kildallon v Templeport
Venue: O'Connell Park, Drumlane

Ronan Reily and Duignan wont do enough to stop an ever improving Templeport team for me,
Port by 5

Saturday, 06th September 2008 @ 7.30pm
Hotel Kilmore Senior Championship Quarter Final
Kingscourt v Ramor

Im going for a shock here, I think Kingscourt might catch an overconfident Ramor,who ive been most impressed with this year,
Meath men by 1 ;D

Sunday, 07th September 2008 @ 1pm
Hotel Kilmore Junior Championship Quarter Final
Shannon Gaels v Mountnugent

Mountnugent powered by very impressive David Gibney and Tomas Brady will win this by 3 for me
dont know about Eamon Reily's availability for Gaels,

Sunday, 07th September 2008 @ 7pm
Hotel Kilmore Senior Championship Quarter Final
Cavan Gaels v Mullahoran

The Big One
i just cant see how Mullahoran will have enough to beat the Gaels,
With Lyng out,Mullahoran will naturally key to Johnston, Even If somehow Dermot Sheridan and co can hold Jelly quiet,
Sean Higgins,Cormac Nelligan and co will still have enough firepower to put a big score up.Norbert Smith is a big loss in the Mullahoran backline
at the other end

You will see Chesty on Eddie Reily, as usual,
Chesty has always done a reasonable good job of keeping him quiet,
Unfortunately with Eddie More likely going to be contained,I dont see where the scores are going to come from.

Gaels by 7.

No doubt il probably make an utters balls of this like last week  :P
im

Lawrence of Knockbride

Game was called off tonight. Hope it wasn't because of the weather or we could have a wipe-out of all the games.

Hollow Man

Haven't been on in a few days...

Off to the game now, wish us luck, I'm not making any predictions... Feels great to be within 60 minutes of a county semi-final.

Word on the grapevine is that Tommy Carr has the job sewn up, personally I'm not sure how good an appointment he would be.

Boojangles, apologies for lowering the tone, it's just I disagreed on your opinion of Sheridan and thought your reasoning and references to tight shorts etc were open to ridicule; thus, I ridiculed them. How was Electric Picnic?

AngloCelt, will you please lay off the Hollow Man, we're all friends here.

PP, will Ballyhaise beat Cootehill?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Thastheball on September 06, 2008, 08:04:16 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 04, 2008, 10:22:44 AM
Carr joined Ros in 2002. In his first year he got them to all ireland quarter finals, 2nd year to Connaught Final and I believe the 3rd year was pretty bad for them. The players had a meeting and wanted him gone and the county board told him and so he resigned. I think the players got frustrated that frankie Dolan got the boot from the team for poor discipline - Carr was not going to take shite from him. You could be right that he might be the man to put a foundation in place but a lot of ros people were not too happy with his tactical approach to games. I think I'd prefer Caffrey to Carr but either wouldn't be a bad result for us, given some of the other names being bandied about. Any updates on your man thatstheball?

I can confirm that Damian Cassidy was approached to attend interview. His name was put to the county board by the players. Unsurprisingly he turned the offer to attend down.

Not really suprised by that either after the shafting he got the last time. Interesting that the players thought highly of him.

anglocelt39

AngloCelt, will you please lay off the Hollow Man, we're all friends here

arrah sure no bother hollow man, just that your way of showing your, ahem, friendship towards other posters borders on the questionable/half witted by times. Show your friendship towards me any way you want as I couldn't give a toss, particularly if it means sparing other posters your, what's the phrase again, somewhat iconic approach to posting and that's being charitable. Best of luck this pm although I would have more than a soft spot for your opponents although I would have a softer spot still for a participant in the curtain raiser.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

An Laoch

Can anyone confirm if Mullahoran v Gaels is going ahead? Hoping to head up to it after Waterford win the hurling :)

CC1

Was anyone at the templeport vs. Kildallon game yesterday?? Looks like quite a low scoring game. Did either side impress??
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Celt_Man

Hard to know what way to feel about the game yesterday.... glad to get that last point to get a replay but we should have the game wrapped up... missed a peno and another great goal chance... should be a interesting replay...

what this about the shercock management walking away???
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Babe Ruth 47

Geals beat Mullahoran this evening by a single point. Eddie missed a free with the last kick of the game to level it.

The draw is:

Ramor v Cavan Gaels
Killygarry v Denn

Two good games for the neutral, though I'm afraid the Ramor forwards won't be getting the same space against the Gaels as they did against Kingscourt.
The second game is intriguing. Healthy rivalry between these two clubs. Both teams attempting to step up to the mark this last few years.  Didnt it take 3 matches to seperate them in '05/'06 ?

Lawrence of Knockbride

I don't think you were at the game Babe Ruth as you couldn't possibly have gotten home and to your PC quicker than me. Eddie missed alright from the 45 but it was a big ask. Good second half. Gaels upped it a gear after the break and looked like they'd go on to win it easy with Johnston starting to beat Sheridan. But Mullahoran got a goal and a point in quick succession to put them ahead. Gaels upped it again and although they only won by a point it didn't really look like the got into full flow.

Eddie, Paul Brady & Philip Brady carried Mullahoran for a long time but they just don't have the quality to compete with the Gaels. Johnston was up to his old tricks, lying down after a brush across the head-very hard to like fella. McQuillan was shocking in the first half giving everything to Mullahoran and the linesman watched Fergal Brady drag Paul O'Donnell around the field for half an hour without bringing it to the refs attention.

Lawrence of Knockbride

......oh and the other draws are Redhills v Drumlane & Ballyhaise/Cootehill v Lavey in the intermediate. Shercock v Drung & Mountnugent v Templeport in the Junior.