Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

I have the same uneasy feeling boojangles, I'm preparing myself for a massive sense of anticlimax when the time comes. Sure if you expect the worst, anything better will be a pleasant surprise. The names being bandied about do little for me though, I must say, particularly because they seem to have no recourse to what the specific problems are and who might be the right man to solve them. They're all just 'names' and a few clubs trying to get their own man in and stuff probably.

Denn Forever

But at the end of the day I still dont see any club taking the mantle of the Gaels just yet.

Hopefully Mullahoran will do the business against Cavan Gaels!

Haven't seen the Gaels in the flesh yet but having seen Mullahoran a few times, I don't think Cavan Gaels will have much problem.  The only hope is that the larger Breffni pitch will be more advantageous to Mullahoran than Cavan Gaels.  Looking forward to seeing Cavan Gaels in the flesh this sunday though.

I'll be cheering for Mullahoran and hopefully they can be a fly in the Ointment for CG.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: CC1 on September 03, 2008, 01:04:16 PM
Remember, Philip Smith is from Kingscourt also so he might have it as 50 miles from his house...  ;D

I was hoping that it would be more than 50 miles from Kingscourt to Killeshandra but alas I checked it on the AA route planner and it is only 40 miles. Damn it. :)

cornafean

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 03, 2008, 03:39:32 PM
I was hoping that it would be more than 50 miles from Kingscourt to Killeshandra but alas I checked it on the AA route planner and it is only 40 miles. Damn it. :)

So you're out of the running for the job, then? Not skilled enough at the expense claims ;)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Just to note Cavanmaniac that Killeshandra didn't put King's name forward. He applied himself. Now his CV would be worth a look.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 03, 2008, 07:15:43 PM
Just to note Cavanmaniac that Killeshandra didn't put King's name forward. He applied himself.

Holy Jasus, I don't know which is worse, a club trying to get their own man in or a guy without even the support of his club trying to get himself in. The whole world's in a terrible state of chassis...

mylestheslasher

The Plot thickens... I think he also qualifies under the 50 mile rule :D

Carr becomes latest Breffni candidate
03 September 2008

Former Dublin boss Tommy Carr has emerged as the latest candidate linked to take over the reins of the vacant Cavan manager's position.

According to a report in today's Irish Daily Star, Carr has become the leading contender to succeed Donal Keogan in the Breffni post after the Denn man stepped down from the manager's position in the days after his side's All-Ireland SFC exit to Kildare.

Carr has been away from the inter-county management scene since leaving the Roscommon job in 2005, but revealed a few weeks ago that he was looking to get back into managing at inter-county level.

"I am considering returning to inter-county management," said Carr.

"I suppose a lot of jobs are coming up but you have to ask yourself what jobs do you want to get involved with and what ones you don't?"

The ex-Dublin player now lives in Westmeath and has been linked with a number of vacant jobs in neighbouring counties, with Cavan now looking the most likely to appeal to him.

The interviewing process, conducted jointly by the Cavan County Board and recruitment company Sportstracker, began yesterday (Tuesday) and will continute throughout the rest of the week with a manager hoping to be in place by next week.

Carr joins the likes of ex- Antrim and Fermanagh managers Jody Gormley and Dominic Corrigan in the list of men to succeed Keogan, along with locals Stephen King, Terry Hyland and Tony Brady. In recent times former Down boss Paddy O'Rourke has emerged as a front-runner for the position too.

cavanmaniac

Tommy Carr was, to me, one of the obvious candidates from early on if we're talking about needing a tough task master. Given the calibre of people mentioned thus far, I think we could do worse that slot him in for two years and let him put a solid disciplined structure in place which will hopefully remain for future mangers to work on. This appointment is effectively a stepping stone one for me, or at the very most, perhaps it'll result in an Ulster SFC challenge in the third year if the first two have been promising and his services are retained.

I mentioned him before and someone said he presided over disciplinary shambles in Roscommon but I think that was all under John Tobin and Tommy's appointment was the Roscommon CB's response to the nudie pool and all that nonsense. I don't think there were any PR disasters during his time at the helm, in fact Roscommon looked reasonably competitive. That's all from memory mind you, someone can put me right if I've got any of that wrong...

mylestheslasher

Carr joined Ros in 2002. In his first year he got them to all ireland quarter finals, 2nd year to Connaught Final and I believe the 3rd year was pretty bad for them. The players had a meeting and wanted him gone and the county board told him and so he resigned. I think the players got frustrated that frankie Dolan got the boot from the team for poor discipline - Carr was not going to take shite from him. You could be right that he might be the man to put a foundation in place but a lot of ros people were not too happy with his tactical approach to games. I think I'd prefer Caffrey to Carr but either wouldn't be a bad result for us, given some of the other names being bandied about. Any updates on your man thatstheball?

cornafean

I hope to God he doesn't bring Frankie with him :o
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Babe Ruth 47

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 03, 2008, 07:15:43 PM
Just to note Cavanmaniac that Killeshandra didn't put King's name forward. He applied himself. Now his CV would be worth a look.

Rumors have it that he didn't even send in his C.V., apparently he just sent them the link to his Bebo page ;)

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cornafean on September 04, 2008, 11:09:28 AM
I hope to God he doesn't bring Frankie with him :o

Yeh, could you imagine naked pool in McSeain's.  :D

Homer

I dunno lads, while Carr's reputation as a take-no-prisoners disciplinarian looks good on paper, but at the end of the day he never tasted any real success with Dublin or Ros.  :-\

mylestheslasher

I'd have reservations about nearly every potential manager linked with the job but we have to be realistic. This is Cavan, 2nd worst county in Ulster. No success in 11 years at any level. Discipline problems in the camp, players not willing to put in the work. This is not an appealing job for a lot of managers. I haven't heard a name yet that is jumping out of the page at me and thats why I am saying maybe Carr isn't too bad in comparison to the others. I'd prefer Caffrey but my ideal man would be Joe Kernan (who just won't do it). I don't see a trapatoni type appointment out there anywhere.

cavanmaniac

True (@ Homer), but like I said I think this appointment is more about putting a solid base in place and stop the indisciplinary rot that's threatening to ruin whatever good young players we have - Tyrone came from behind on stroke of full-time to beat Cavan minors this year and they're in the final in a few weeks, remember. There's more to work with in Cavan than people realise I believe.

If we're thinking in terms of a manager who will come in and have us challenging right away I think we're being a wee bit previous and possibly overestimating ourselves. Given time, the next manager could eventually mould a team to challenge but what's absolutely vital is that he leaves a solid team and a work ethic behind him for the next guy to take us over, when hopefully we'll be a more attractive proposition to managers that we are right now.

As for the nudie pool in McSeains, I thought they did that there every Saturday night?