Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Pain

No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

tierworker blue

the jungle drums have been pounding, and i've heard from a decent source today that pillar caffrey has the cavan job if he wants it. i know his name was mentioned some time back, and that his folks are from cavan etc etc, but i paid little heed back then. i can't see him taking it, assuming that he might take some time away from inter county management, but now im getting curious.
any thoughts...?

cavanmaniac

He'd have high standards of preparation, would carry a bit of weight in the dressing room, would be thick and ignorant enough to take no shit from our band of Spice Boys and mightn'd be a bad option despite the fact that he failed/his players failed in the big tests of the last few years, most notably against Mayo and recently against Tyrone both of whom were very beatable.

That said, Cavan's next manager shouldn't really be tasked with winning anything, we're fallen way back too far for that so now it's more about getting a solid structure in place and weeding out the bad eggs, bringing the young fellas on another bit and generally smartening up our act. In that respect, I think we could do worse than Pilar for two years. A big question would have to be his appetite and hunger after so many years with the Dubs, and whether his heart would be in it despite the Cavan links.

Plus the rumours might all be bullshit as well, you never know with these things.

mylestheslasher

Caffrey might not be my no 1 choice but i think he is the best of what we can hope to get. I think he is a big enough name in GAA circles to command respect in the dressing room. He may have failed in his attempts to land sam for the dubs but he did win leinster titles and put a commited team on the pitch. It is easy to point out each candidates bad points but there is no super manager available that I can see. Based on this reality I'd give Caffrey a hesitant nod for the job at this stage. But is he mad enough to take it....

Denn Forever

Ramor Und 1 16             Castlerahan 1  12

Breffni Park looked well under the floodlights.  But again I ask where is the clock?  Mullaghhoran and Beltubet have similar scoreboards and under them is an incorporated clock.  

Castlerahanstarted brightly and Mackey was the star of the show.  Ramor started as if they couldn't be bothered but the came good as the half wore on.  The fullforward line started to gain influence.  Went in Ramor 0  7  Castlerahan 0  8 I think.

In the second half, Ramor had most of the ball.  I was near the town goal and it became obvious that Castlerahan had a problem at midfield and the Ramor team quickly cottoned on to the Castlerahan kickouts.  Castlerahan scored the first goal and the comment from the Ramor supporter beside me was "Why could he be fouled before he scored the goal?"  Does this scenario sound familiar?

Ramor scored a peach of a goal, a pass from the right wing falling into the hands of the onrushing forward.

Some very good scoring from both sides.  But it was nowhere near the pace of intercouny football so I'll just enjoy it at for what it was.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 29, 2008, 09:02:06 PM
Caffrey might not be my no 1 choice but i think he is the best of what we can hope to get. I think he is a big enough name in GAA circles to command respect in the dressing room. He may have failed in his attempts to land sam for the dubs but he did win leinster titles and put a commited team on the pitch. It is easy to point out each candidates bad points but there is no super manager available that I can see. Based on this reality I'd give Caffrey a hesitant nod for the job at this stage. But is he mad enough to take it....

Jez, myles very nice of you give Pillar a hesitant nod to take the second worst team in Ulster who have not had any underage county success in numerous years, no club within the past, god knows how many years has got an Ulster senior club final never mind win it. At this stage you should on your knees begging some one like Pillar to put his reputation on the line for your high fliers. f**k...your metality takes the biscuit. You must be on the wind up...with your hesitant nod.

cavanmaniac

Aha, there's the Cavan football expert now with one of his timely and insightful interjections. Good man Max, sort it out there like a good chap, yer man myles is only a windup merchant from Derry that has practically no knowledge of football in the county, sure you couldn't be listening to him. ;D

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: cavanmaniac on August 30, 2008, 12:13:12 AM
Aha, there's the Cavan football expert now with one of his timely and insightful interjections. Good man Max, sort it out there like a good chap, yer man myles is only a windup merchant from Derry that has practically no knowledge of football in the county, sure you couldn't be listening to him. ;D

From reading what u lads are writing I'm making as much sense of it as the rest on this thread.

CM....its the arrogant 'hesitant nod' that got me going. I'm not going to sort it out...sure u cavan lads had the basis of a super set up 50 years ago and made a balls of a production line some 40 years ago......how did ye manage to f**k it up...what did kerry do at the time that u didn't?. It is not more a case of getting what will come yer way.

Any way on a more serious note paddy heaney in the Irish news was writing about how county boards get it more often than not wrong. Cavan was one exaple they used...ie Keogan. But his view was that Graham was the obious choice, had proven success at club management and had driiled the cavan minor team this year well to hold its own with the current Tyrone minor team. His arguement was cavan needed to go home grown.

tierworker blue

From 'Hogan Stand'...

O'Rourke tipped for Cavan post

Down's Paddy O'Rourke
30 August 2008

Former Down boss Paddy O'Rourke has emerged as a frontrunner in the race to become the new Cavan senior football manager.

O'Rourke, captain of the Mourne County's 1991 All-Ireland SFC winning team, managed his native county three years ago.

Now the former ace defender has apparently leaped into pole position for the vacant Cavan job for which the SportTracker company has been hired to fill.

What do y'all think?

cavanmaniac

I'm only taking a hand at ya Max, but I do find your proclaimations on Cavan football a bit amusing. We might just know what we're talking about when we talk about Cavan football, you think?

I'd say, hypothetically, you'd have held the same opinions in the winter of 1994 when we hadn't won an Ulster championship game for Lord knows how long, and if anyone here had suggested that a good managerial appointment could prompt an U21 All-Ireland final appearance, two Ulster final appearances and a win in one of them, I think you'd have been accusing us of being on the wind up with delusions of grandeur then as well.

We know our place for now, but we also know where we could be with the right decisions taken. Observers from the outside such as yourself only judge on the bottom line whereas we are privy to what's above it. Sure hopefully we'll emerge from the undergrowth again in a few years, who knows?

* As for Paddy O'Rourke, I'd avoid, he didn't exactly cover himself in glory when he had the Down job and he definitely does not seem to be the man to sort out the dressing room mess in Cavan.

Uladh

I think his mate Pete must be having a laugh!

anglocelt39

Max, welcome back. Nice to have a genuine windup merchant on board rather than some of our home grown talent that borders between windup and unhinged by times. Anyway. Would actually agree with you sometimes that we need to get a grip of ourselves, although your imagery might be a bit ott by times. Why the heck should Cavan GAA people, or Myles for that matter, not be hesitant in giving the nod to a high profile external manager. That's the way of the GAA these days Max. Longford, Leitrim, Roscommon, Westmeath, Wicklow, Louth etc. etc have followed the relatively high profile external appointment route in the recent past. So no need for us lot to fall over ourselves at the first "name" that might show a bit of interest.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

anglocelt39

Some questions about this setence:

Now Hollow Man, if anybody else on the board penned the above I could probably use my imagination. On the other hand a poster of your impeccable status who is willing to show his on going committment to all elements of correctness as regards facts, opinions, grammar and spelling, particularly where the latter relates to the names of daytime TV Hosts surely must have some meaning intended in the above that leaves the rest of us floundering. I've parsed and analysed the hell out of it and am stumped. Perhaps you can clarify your question before Boojangles gets back from pogoing to Johnny Lydon and the boys down at Stradbally. On second thoughts no ,forget it, haven't Ramor gone on a fairly impressive run in the championship seeing off Castlerahan in the wake of Gowna and Lacken. Sure maybe you might give us a bit of an update of some sort instead, you know, who played well, any emerging prospects, can Ramor go further etc. etc. Refer posts of Homer, Boojangles, Ballyhaise Man and you'll get an idea of what I mean. Only if it's no trouble now, mind.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 30, 2008, 01:14:36 AM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on August 30, 2008, 12:13:12 AM

From reading what u lads are writing I'm making as much sense of it as the rest on this thread.

CM....its the arrogant 'hesitant nod' that got me going. I'm not going to sort it out...sure u cavan lads had the basis of a super set up 50 years ago and made a balls of a production line some 40 years ago......how did ye manage to f**k it up...what did kerry do at the time that u didn't?. It is not more a case of getting what will come yer way.

Any way on a more serious note paddy heaney in the Irish news was writing about how county boards get it more often than not wrong. Cavan was one exaple they used...ie Keogan. But his view was that Graham was the obious choice, had proven success at club management and had driiled the cavan minor team this year well to hold its own with the current Tyrone minor team. His arguement was cavan needed to go home grown.

Max max max, what is your problem. Is derry not the county that does most whinging about their manager than any other. I was commenting on Caffreys suitabiliy for the job. Some here think he couldn't do it with Dublin so he'd struggle to improve Cavan (which is what we are looking for) I think that is a valid point but I also think that his big name in the GAA will command respect in the dressing room. Hence the hesitant nod. Paddy Heaney is only half right about Graham. He has done very well as a manager but he needs some more time before stepping up to the senior job, sure he played with many of the lads on the current team. I'd like him to stay at minor for another 2 years and achieve something there 1st. There is no suitable home grown manager for the job.

Denn Forever

Denn 0 11  Cuchullains  0.07

We won after having a really good first 15-20 minutes.  Every attempt went over the bar.  Hubert Smith was playing really well at full forward but our performance really dipped when for some reason he went out the field.  Didn't see why we had a player sent off.  It was at the other end of the field and was after the referee consulted the umpires.

Was expecting Cuchulains to tear into us in the second half but fortunately it didn't happen.

It was a disappointing game to watch if you were a neutral.  Did Cuchulains really beat Ramor?  There were no standout players over the sixty minutes.  Martin Cahill had an effective game, did what he had to.  Was looking forward to seeing how Ciaran Mc Govern would do at full back but Cuchullains played with only two players  in the fullforward line.  

Denn also did the running down the clock thing at the end, passing the ball all over the pitch.  Our half forward got the ball and there was acres of space in front of him but he immediately turned back towards our goal and passed it back.

It seems to be a fairly recent thing but I hate it.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...