Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

BHM - let me know what you think of leaguers v Cootehill next week. I'm away this weekend and won't be able to attend. Cheers.

CC1

Big game for us this weekend against Arva. Hopefully we'll be able to put last years terrible performance behind us and come out with a win. We have the players, the main thing is that we perform on the day against what will be a physical Arva side confident of victory.

Drung vs the Muchies will be an interesting one. Drung are very very strong and they have some reasonable strength in depth which I reckon will be too much for the Munchies who do rely on a few of their players. I think it will be a tight one, the Munchies on their day are no push overs, Drung should have enough though.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

boojangles

Quote from: Hollow Man on August 27, 2008, 07:03:01 PM
Damien McInerny?

You must be joking. We have far too many small handy players there as it is.

He is no better than, say, Martin Cahill, Keith Fannin, Ronan Flanagan, Barry Watters, Michael Brides etc in my opinion. In fact, he isn't as good as the first three I named.

Nothing against him, he is a good player, but Cavan need to be looking for big fellas at this stage.

A good big one, as they say, is better than a good small one.

How about this for a team

James Reilly

Hannon
Rabbitt
Sheridan

McKeever
Podge O'Reilly
Gunner

Walsh
Paddy Brady (?)

Sean Brady
John Tierney
Flanagan

Johnston
McCabe
Sean Maguire (third midfielder)

Just throwing it out there. A predominantly young, mobile and more importantly physically strong team.

Forget Pierson, Gaynor etc. Get a panel who want to play and are willing to put in the effort. I dn't know what the story is with Paddy Brady or Sean Maguire, just threw them in there as good club footballers who have the size to offer something...

boojangles

Whoops forgot to reply,No Hollow Im not joking, you have named at least 4 players who have played with Cavan for at least 4 Years,have got umpteen chances and still never proved it.Sean Maguire lets b honest,good footballer and lovely fella but even he has realised at this stage that he isnt a County footballer.Paddy Brady is too fecked with injuries and to b honest I dont think he wants to play with Cavan full stop.John Tierney-A great shame and all  because he could have been the best but ya must b joking.He had numerous chances to get himself into shape and didnt.Thats it.Sean Brady has been on the Cavan Seniors since 2003 and he still hasnt nailed down a place or put 2 or 3 good games in a row together.How many chances are players like this gonna get?Nicholas Walsh while hard done by this year could b put in the same boat.I hope Im wrong but I dont think we'l ever see the best of this fella.
You can laugh at me all you want but give me Damien McInerney any day ahead of Dermot Sheridan in the corner.Damien McInerney is faster,more comfortable on the ball,is a better passer,can take a score better,and is every bit as strong.If being bigger compensates for all that Hollow Man than You and Me have totally different opinions on the game.Watch Dermot Sheridan against Cavan Gaels and see how many times he gives the ball away,or is done for pace or caught in possesion.
I also see no mention of the best young talent in the County on your team-Ray Cullivan.Any Cavan team without that man on it is a mistake.FACT.

mylestheslasher

Potential Managers List. That seems to be everyone I can think of,

Paul Grimley
Damian Cassidy
Paul Caffrey
Tommy Brehony
Jack O Connor
Joe Kiernan - Won't manage anyone other than Armagh until his sons are done playing
Charlier Mulgrew
Pat Roe
Luke Dempsey
Paidi O Se
John Maughan
Colm Coyle
Sean Boylan
Dominic Corrigan
Tommy Carr
James McCartan
Pete McGrath
Teddy Holland
Billy Morgan - surely too far away unless he'd move
Jody Gormley
Terry Hyland
Tony Brady
Stephen King
Glenn Ryan
Dessie Dolan
Bernard Morris

Any stand out options there.

Hollow Man

I just threw that team out there for discussion, totally forgot Cullivan - would have him as first choice midfielder.

Quoteand is every bit as strong

Come now, Boojangles. A 5 ft 6 (max), not particlularly stocky fella is 'every bit as strong' as a six foot lad whose a bit of a tank?

As for Myles. I had a very quick glance at your list and the first name I saw was Billy Morgan. I stopped reading then.

cavan4ever

Quote from: CC1 on August 28, 2008, 11:05:58 AM
Big game for us this weekend against Arva. Hopefully we'll be able to put last years terrible performance behind us and come out with a win. We have the players, the main thing is that we perform on the day against what will be a physical Arva side confident of victory.

Drung vs the Muchies will be an interesting one. Drung are very very strong and they have some reasonable strength in depth which I reckon will be too much for the Munchies who do rely on a few of their players. I think it will be a tight one, the Munchies on their day are no push overs, Drung should have enough though.

Im not looking forward to this. Drung have been poor enough all year apart from a couple of games.  Have a habit of starting well and going 3-4 points up and then letting in soft goals.  If the game turns into a battle id be afraid of who would want it more.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hollow Man on August 28, 2008, 03:58:17 PM
I just threw that team out there for discussion, totally forgot Cullivan - would have him as first choice midfielder.

Quoteand is every bit as strong

Come now, Boojangles. A 5 ft 6 (max), not particlularly stocky fella is 'every bit as strong' as a six foot lad whose a bit of a tank?

As for Myles. I had a very quick glance at your list and the first name I saw was Billy Morgan. I stopped reading then.

A while back I started a thread asking what managers were available for work. Those are the names that came up on that thread. But you know I just threw it out there for discussion, totally forgot you had a problem with Billy Morgan.

Denn Forever

How tall was Oige Moran with 8 All Ireland medals?  If you are good enough, you'll adapt.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 28, 2008, 04:46:24 PM
How tall was Oige Moran with 8 All Ireland medals?  If you are good enough, you'll adapt.

Totally agree Denn Forever.Peter Canavan didnt let something like height get in the way of him being the best footballer of his generation. Hollow You obviously dont know McInerney very well.If you ran into him you'd know all about it.He's actually 5 ft 8.
Just because Dermot runs with his shoulders out like an American footballer and wears tight shorts doesnt make him Trevor Crowe.
You didnt comment on the rest of my points about Damiens strengths?Are you saying all them attributes in a footballer should b overlooked because he isnt 6ft and a bit of a Tank?

anglocelt39

Couldn't agree more with Hollow Man's assessment that there's a serious lack of big, strong. mobile guys with footbally ability who are currently donning the county jersey. Also agree with Boojangles assessment of the team that HM threw out for discussion. there's a good few lads in there who were marquee names playing Manning Cup football 8/10 years ago. They certainly got their chance at senior level but whether it was injury, loss of interest, work, women, drink or whatever they haven't made the transition to senior level in any consistent fashion and I suppose you'd wonder if they are likely to now. In fairness, if you lads are involved in the game up there and there were any standout players with a bit of size/ability/attitude etc. you'd know who they were.

We were all having a moan about this a few months back and somebody. CC1 put it pretty much in context, along the lilnes of, those players aren't there at the moment.

Pity, 2 or 3 could make a huge difference.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

John Tierney is going back to study in England so hes ruled out anyway

Paddy Brady has barely played for Gowna in the last 2 years.

Sean Maguire, well the jury is still out on him,He was very good for the county Juniors alongside Crowe at midfield against Dublin.
But he hasnt impressed in his few chances before.

Darren Rabbite, im afraid we can forget about him,He hasnt played for the county in about 3 years.

The Problem we have as you lads have said is the most talented "Big Players" we have produced over the last 5-8 years at underage level

Paddy Brady
Sean Maguire
Nicholas Walsh
Darryl McConnell
John Tierney
Colm Hannon
Shane Cole
and indeed Sean Brady
Havent broken through and formed a backbone of the team through whatever reason.

So we are left using and looking at Bigger Players who may not have the necessary skills but have the Physique.

Also the McInerney debate
Damien McInerney is as good a Man Marker as is in the county,
Ive played against Both himself and Dermot Sheridan and i have to agree with Boojangles,McInerney is a better all round footballer.
His Height on an already too small of a team is the sticking point.

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 28, 2008, 09:47:51 PM

The Problem we have as you lads have said is the most talented "Big Players" we have produced over the last 5-8 years at underage level

Paddy Brady
Sean Maguire
Nicholas Walsh
Darryl McConnell
John Tierney
Colm Hannon
Shane Cole
and indeed Sean Brady
Havent broken through and formed a backbone of the team through whatever reason.

So we are left using and looking at Bigger Players who may not have the necessary skills but have the Physique.

Excellent point BH Man,all them lads had as much talent at underage level as any lads in Ulster.Mite I also add in a blast from the past one Ritchie Graham from the Gaels.Never really played after Minor 2000.Same year as Daryl McConnell and Pierson.Robbed by Derry with last minute goal in Breifne Park.He was a serious talent who got Man of the Match in the final of the Ulster Club Minor Final which the Gaels won in StPauls in 2000.No interest once the social life became a factor.
Anyway lads thats enuf of the auld GAA until Monday for me.Its off to Electric Picnic for me in the morn.My 1st proper free weekend since June so Im gonna enjoy it.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on August 29, 2008, 01:59:05 AM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 28, 2008, 09:47:51 PM

Paddy Brady
Sean Maguire
Nicholas Walsh
Darryl McConnell
John Tierney
Colm Hannon
Shane Cole
and indeed Sean Brady

Excellent point BH Man,all them lads had as much talent at underage level as any lads in Ulster.Mite I also add in a blast from the past one Ritchie Graham from the Gaels.Never really played after Minor 2000.Same year as Daryl McConnell and Pierson.Robbed by Derry with last minute goal in Breifne Park.He was a serious talent who got Man of the Match in the final of the Ulster Club Minor Final which the Gaels won in StPauls in 2000.No interest once the social life became a factor.
Anyway lads thats enuf of the auld GAA until Monday for me.Its off to Electric Picnic for me in the morn.My 1st proper free weekend since June so Im gonna enjoy it.

Watch out for Mulvey doing stage dives at electric picnic :D

Hollow Man

QuoteJust because Dermot runs with his shoulders out like an American footballer and wears tight shorts doesnt make him Trevor Crowe

Some questions about this setence:

1) How does an American footballer run?
2) Why are you concerned with how tight his shorts are?
3) How would anyone think that wearing a particular style of shorts and having an odd way of running 'makes' you a footballer from Lacken?
4) What other players have nice shorts?

Thanks.