Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babe Ruth 47

Yeh very dissapointing weekend with the weather. The only game I managed to see was the above metioned between Kiloldallon and Mountnugent. Actually quite an enjoyable game and the rain held off for the most part. For the last 10 solid minutes Killdallon counldnt string 2 passes together and when Mountnugent moved their no.9 to the edge of the square they picked of 4/5 points in a row, 3 of which, with a little more composure could/should have been goal chances. Ohter than that outing it was a weekend in frontof the Gaa on the box.

mylestheslasher

So any word on who the clubs have put forward for the managers job? I'm hearing nothing on that front at all.

mylestheslasher

Just check Hoganstand and these are the names that the clubs have come up with...

Former Fermanagh boss Dominic Corrigan
ex-Antrim manager Jody Gormley
Terry Hyland
Tony Brady
Stephen King

Also, they claim that the CB have Glenn Ryan, Kildares U21 manager, on their shortlist (as have Laois apparently)

mylestheslasher

Was talking to some of the lads at home there and they were telling me about 17 year old Patrick Kings performance for Killeshandra against B'McHugh. Patrick is a nephew of Stephen and son of Philip (King Communications). He is 6'3 i'd say. He normally plays FF for leaguers this year but moved to midfield against BMcchugh where he scored 5 points from play. He was on the minor panel last year but left cos he wasn't getting a game but he is minor next year too. Seriously nice lad too and very down to earth. I think he could be a real star in the future if he is minded well.

Mr. Pain

No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Denn Forever

The ideal man for the managers job would be someone from the back room staff or ex-player from either Tyrone or Armagh.  I know we had Grimley from Armagh but he was second in command. 

Any thoughts?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hollow Man

Do you think Grimley was second in command?

I agree that we need someone who has a proven track record, will take no shit, possibly from one of the successful Northern counties. How about Damian Cassidy?

Wait a second... The more you think about it, the county board should hang their heads in shame at appointing Keogan.

mylestheslasher

Agree with Hollowman. Discipline has to be the No 1 item on the list. I think we also need a real motivator, someone who can inspire some of the players and convince them that they are good enough. I think the person really needs to have a good track record so that no one can be in doubt that he knows what he is doing. I don't believe anyone on that list really fits the bill....

BallyhaiseMan

Glen Ryan supposedly on the short list for both Laois and Cavan Jobs.. According to Northern Sound.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Why no mention of Pillar Caffrey? Isn't his mother one of Duignans from Cornafean and some relation of the Bradys of the garage. He may want a while away but I think he's as good a choice as there's out there who might actually want the job. Was at the Killeshandra match Myles and the Leaguers badly need their two men back from the States, which I believe is imminent. A late goal flattered them against a 14 man Ballymachugh.

anglocelt39

New boss? Think Ryan made a good impression with Kildare Under 21's all right, but we, as they say are a different kettle of fish. Would be worth looking at no doubt.

Over the past few years a few people have made the move straight into management and made a go of it and were well known to have a point to prove to people within their own county-McHugh and McGeeney spring to mind. There might be a few recently retired sorts up Tyrone way anxious to put their money where their mouth is, a gamble but beggars can't be choosers. Cassidys name comes up every so often on this thread, what was his role during McIlkennons last year?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on August 20, 2008, 09:40:33 PM
New boss? Think Ryan made a good impression with Kildare Under 21's all right, but we, as they say are a different kettle of fish. Would be worth looking at no doubt.

Over the past few years a few people have made the move straight into management and made a go of it and were well known to have a point to prove to people within their own county-McHugh and McGeeney spring to mind. There might be a few recently retired sorts up Tyrone way anxious to put their money where their mouth is, a gamble but beggars can't be choosers. Cassidys name comes up every so often on this thread, what was his role during McIlkennons last year?

I think Cassidy will have had enough of dealing with Cavan CB after the way he was treated when Keoghan got the job. Also, going for cassidy would mean the people on the county board would be admitting they got it wrong when they appointed Keoghan over him - I doubt that will happen.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Gormley and Corrigan interested in Cavan job
Antrim manager Jody Gormley
21 August 2008

Former Antrim manager Jody Gormley along with ex-Sligo and Fermanagh boss Dominic Corrigan are among the five candidates who have applied to take over the reigns in Cavan.

The Breffni County board have asked SportsTracker, a Dundalk based firm headed by former GAA President Peter Quinn, to assist them with the appointment of a replacement from the recently resigned Donal Keoghan. Interested candidates could apply via the company's website and five individuals have put their names forward, the Cavan county board have confirmed.

Gormley along with Corrigan as well as Meath man Sean Kelly have all signalled their interest in the job.

Gormley led Antrim to success in this year's Tommy Murphy Cup and had improved the fortunes of the Saffron's prior to his decision to stand down last month.

Dominic Corrigan has been out of the intercounty scene since he stood down as Sligo manager early during the 2006 NFL campaign. Prior to that he had a successful spell as Fermanagh manager, leading them to the All-Ireland quarter-final in 2003.

Kelly also has his name in the hat for the Meath job but it now appears that Eamon O'Brien is the favoured candidate there. Kelly is a former underage selector with Meath and played under Sean Boylan for the county.

Two local men, Castlerahan's Tony Brady and Lacken's Terry Brady have also applied, but at this stage the odds are on an outside candidate being appointed.

Clubs in the county can still nominate individuals with SportsTracker then interviewing the best qualified candidates before recommending their choice to the Cavan county board.

BallyhaiseMan

not very optimistic over either to be honest,
Corrigan done well with Fermanagh getting them to an All Ireland Quarter before being annihilated by Tyrone.
He flopped with Sligo. Hes probably the best of a bad lot.

Gormley didnt win a championship game with Antrim in his 3 years there,With the talk of the goings on in the Antrim camp during his time there aswell,He doesnt seem much of a man for discipline either,All he has to show is a Tommy Murphy Cup win.