Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Pain

Yes the players did not put in the commitment, Keogan was right about this. However he must also take some responsibility for this as he could not motivate the players or control their habits. It is clear that the players had no respect for this manager but, even worse, no respect for the jersey. The non-committed players should have been dropped and Keogan is at fault here. There are plenty of lads out there who would be mad to play for Cavan. There are a lot of people to blame here. The saddest thing here is how a lot of club footballers had their football held up in the middle of summer just for these lads to go out and make a show of themselves. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Denn Forever

Fron Mr Pain

Yes the players did not put in the commitment, Keogan was right about this. However he must also take some responsibility for this as he could not motivate the players or control their habits.

Yes, he wouldn't have the presense but why should players need motivating to play for their county.  Remember we got rid of McElkennon (?) and Austin.  Played Gallagher who wasn'tt even wanted by his own county.  I hope the new manager will be able to wield the big stick and get rid of the dead wood and nay sayers.

Who would be the best person to help him identify the first panel?  Hopefully the apoint ment will be soon so we can get a good run at the league.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

whats the opinion on the time frame on hiring a new manager? Would you favour waiting out and see who becomes available in late September/October
or Hiring immediately(in next few few weeks) to give the manager a chance to check out the Club Championships?

Id favour the latter.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Somewhere in between ideally BHMan. If it's a local man then the scene should be known to him. If we're to go outside then this won't be the case but we might need to wait til September to pick (can we?) from a bigger pool. I remember at U-16 level being asked by our club manager to go in for county trials. Does anybody think that it's a good idea for each club's management to suggest up to a maximum of X number of players to go in for trials around late October/eary November. Obviously the tried and tested players would be known to an outside man to some extent. But with this approach a nugget would not be missed unless of course he chose not to play. I suppose the development squad serves this to a similar extent.

Denn Forever

I would hope that the decision is made sooner rather than later.  If made soon, can have a look at the championship games.  Can guage the "cut of their jib". 

Waiting for later to see who is available would not work as who of the managers of the teams still in the AI will be available?  Those left I would think will stay with their counties their respective counties as either  they have exceeded their expections (and so would like to see how they get on next year), have nearly got there and so will stay on or will have won the AI.

Local manager?  Who is availablle?  Heard the King/Morris duo?  Would take much shite but questions have been expressed about how good they are.  Anyone else?  Any people who have retired lately be any good?

Colm Coyle?  Luke Dempsey?  Who is out there?
means what he says...

Uladh

mylestheslasher

This is a dangerous time for Cavan football. It is vital, absolutley vital, that we get the right man for the job. Of course it would be ideal to have someone in place to watch the championship matches but the danger is we rush in and get the wrong man. I would prefer us to  take our time, get the right man and maybe do a couple of player trials later in the year as suggested by Lawrence. I think the county board need to think big. For me Joe Kiernan is the outstanding choice. Could we tempt him away from his new TV career - I doubt it, but we need to try. I don't like Sean Boylan as he is old school and is from Meath. Internally there is no one of sufficient ability. I'd like to see Morris as a selector maybe but I wouldn't let King near the place. I agree that the county board should get a panel together of some ex players with no vested interests in any of the candidates. I do believe that Cavan can do much much better with the right man in charge. Have a look at some of the players that we don't have at our disposal this year for one reason or another.

Chesty
Pierson
Crowe
Gaynor
Lyng
McKenna
etc

Surely the right man could raise things enough to get these guys interested again.

Hollow Man

Chesty - class player and a real leader for his club, but he has never done it for Cavan. He had a lot of chances but just doesn't have it at county level

Pierson - an enigma. A great talent but his attitude stinks by all accounts. I'd like to see him motivated and firing on all cylinders, but I doubt we'll see it from him.

Crowe - Trevor is it? He's not interested, fine. At least he doesn't go in to the panel half-hearted, I would respect his decision.

Gaynor - Definitely fits the bill of the type of aggressive player we need, but he's a liability too, as he has showed countless times in pressure situations. Could be worth another try

Lyng - Has something to offer, has that belief that we generally lack, but he needs to find his best form and get a long run injury-free

McKenna - Surely he's past it by now?

Instead of rounding up the usual suspects, I would like to see a new manager get the best out of the players who are there and willing to work and learn. F**k the ego trippers and prima donnas who are on the panel every year and always seem to cause problems through lack of discipline, poor attitude or whatever.

If even one player of this type is tolerated and carried (and we've had several over the last decade), then the whole team beomes infected, morale plummets and you're fucked before you start.

mylestheslasher

Agree to an extent Hollowman but I think no one should be ruled in or out at this stage. I'd like to see the new man start from scratch. Let the new man give out his vision of how things will progress and what is required. Let any players interested in working to his plan come in and those who don't buy in are free to go. Now after that, anyone (and that means anyone) who fu*ks up gets kicked of the panel and no come backs. The new man will need to be ruthless in this regard to show the prima donna that he won't take crap from anyone. Agree totally that carrying players like that has a terrible knock on effect on other players.

Denn Forever

Excuse my ignorance but who is this Chesty that I keep hearing about?
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Chesty = Eamonn Reilly of the Gaels. Wouldn't play this year due to "serious" disagreement with Keoghan - but that is another story.

cavan4sam

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 23, 2008, 02:00:34 PM
Chesty = Eamonn Reilly of the Gaels. Wouldn't play this year due to "serious" disagreement with Keoghan - but that is another story.

Myles, I remember when this came up on the board a while back and am still none the wiser as to what this "serious" disagreement with Keoghan was. Would you be able to enlighten me via a pm perhaps?

BallyhaiseMan

Chesty-definetely good enough to be in the panel.

Pierson- we've never seen how good he can be,because he just doesnt want to put in the heavy training,i cant see him changing now.

Crowe-he played for the county juniors this year,but he just wont give the effort required for IC Senior,im afraid we can forget about him.

Gaynor-a Liability, i dont honestly think he can be controlled,he would be a terrific addition if he could be gotten to channel that aggression.

Lyng-he will be back next year id say, im sure he will get back to his best form,hes only 22.

McKenna- im afraid we can forget about Pierce, hes about 32 or 33 at this stage,

Better to target the likes of Sean Maguire(Lavey) Cian McDermott(Ballinagh) etc for future panels.

now onto the management,
Uladh threw up Justin McNulty's name, He done the business with a Mullahoran team which i would say was inferior to the Gaels in about 9 positions on the field,
i wouldnt mind seeing him get the job.

Paul Bealin perhaps? id say hed leave Carlow for Cavan if given the oppertunity,He also knows Cavan Football from his time with Mullahoran.

BallyhaiseMan

They are just names TTB calm down  ;D

i know McNulty moved onto St Brigids i think it is,Not sure if he won anything there.

Damien Cassidy, id love for him to get it aswell, Although he will more than likely be a candidate for the Derry Job,

no way Joe Kernan takes the job, he wouldnt want to go against Armagh, and hes raking it in with his TV  job with BBC and TV3

Hollow Man

How about Sean McCormack as player-manager?

WHOA!! Calm down BH Man, it's only a joke...