Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 16, 2008, 12:21:09 PM
One Cavan player was at Oxegen last week and missed a challenge match with the blessing of the management.

Another couple were, shamelessly, on the rip over the weekend (both will be starting).

Meanwhile, the entire Kildare panel were in the National Training Centre (think that's right?) in Limerick doing fitness tests.

Who is your money on?

I know one player who texted DK to tell him he was at oxygen and wouldn't be going to the challenge game.  Same player didn't come back to play for his club Saturday evening while two of his team mates did.

Cavanfan

Keoghan in midfield dilemma-From Hoganstand.

16 July 2008

Cavan boss Donal Keogan might have to start his veteran All Star Dermot McCabe at centre-field this Saturday against Kildare after it has emerged that the Breffni County may have lost five midfielders in a fortnight.

Withdrawals from Michael McDonald, John Cunningham and Declan Gaffney from the panel last week have preceded the news that both Sean Brady and Lorcan Mulvey have picked up serious injuries ahead of the Newbridge encounter.

Brady was forced off the pitch in a recent challenge match with Laois at Mullingar and is rated as doubtful for his county's clash with the Lilywhites, while Mulvey has suffered a hamstring strain in what is reported to have been an injury picked up off the playing-field and he looks certain to miss out on his county's first round qualifier.

Along with McCabe, who has started Cavan's two Championship matches thus far at full-forward, it leaves Nicholas Walsh as the only natural midfielder on the panel fit to play at Newbridge, but the Cavan Gaels clubman's action for his county this season has been limited, with no appearances at all in the Championship this summer.

Therefore, Keogan may opt to start team captain Mark McKeever alongside McCabe, reuniting the pair as they have both been playing at centre-field for their club side Gowna as of late

mylestheslasher

Was Mulvey stage diving at Oxygen :D

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 16, 2008, 03:45:26 PM
Was Mulvey stage diving at Oxygen :D

He must have been or else he collapsed a human pyramid.

Swadman

Quote from: Cavanfan on July 16, 2008, 03:27:49 PM

Cavan boss Donal Keogan might have to start his veteran All Star Dermot McCabe at centre-field this Saturday against Kildare after it has emerged that the Breffni County may have lost five midfielders in a fortnight.

We hadn't five midfielders in the last two years never mind the last two weeks !!! >:(

cavan4ever

Quote from: Swadman on July 17, 2008, 08:41:50 AM
Quote from: Cavanfan on July 16, 2008, 03:27:49 PM

We hadn't five midfielders in the last twenty years never mind the last two weeks !!! >:(

cavan4ever

Your right CC1 if finished talking about them till a proper Manager is put in charge.

I wil try and predict some of Next weeks Championship games.

Thursday, 24th July 2008 @ 8pm

Hotel Kimore Senior Championship

Crosserlough v Gowna

Hotel Kilmore Junior Championship
Butlersbridge v Drung

Friday, 25th July 2008 @ 8pm

Belturbet v Mullahoran

Denn v Knockbride

Mountnugent v Shercock

Saturday, 26th July 2008 @ 7.30pm

Castlerahan
v Kingscourt

Cavan Gaels v Lacken

Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Championship

Laragh v Redhills

Lavey v Killinkere (Match at 6pm)

Templeport v Cornafean  Have one  there last couple of games while t'port have lost .

Arva v Corlough

Shannon Gaels v Maghera

Munterconnacht v Kildallon

Sunday, 27th July 2008 @ 3pm

Cuchullains v Ramor

Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Championship

Killeshandra v Bailieboro (Game at 2.30pm)

Cootehill V Drumgoon

Kill v Swanlinbar (

Drumalee v Ballyhaise Draw

Ballymachugh v Drumlane

mylestheslasher

Quote from: CC1 on July 17, 2008, 09:07:43 AM
Lads I fail to see any valid reason to keep an interest in the county team this year. Our minors are out, the u21's are out, hurling if I'm right is over for the year, and the Cavan senior football set up is a joke. Why are we even discussing a lost cause?! 2009 is the next time I will discuss anything to do with Cavan but for now here is my opinion on the set up:

Keoghan not a "joke of a manager", how can he be, he's not even a manager. He is clueless as everybody knows. His man management is shite, the "sessions" he organises after games, his tactical knowledge as we all know is non existant. He's basically a Cavan person making the most of being given a position by a bunch of misers in the county board.

The players attitudes have to change. Years ago, we were all giving out about the likes of McCabe and Forde trying to call the shots and intimidating younger players coming through. Has this attitude changed? Players going on the beer weeks before championship games, and players pulling out of the squad weeks before a game is that a sign of commitment? The players need to take a long hard look at themselves and think, are they going to make something of themselves, are they willing to put everything in for that blue jersey? At the moment they are not.

The county board are a joke, and whoever has appointed Keoghan or whoever has kept him on for this year should lose their jobs/positions.

We have an absolute joke of a county set up in Cavan and I for one couldn't be arsed with it. Its not fun being the laughing stock of the GAA.

I think we are still in the Hurling Rackard Cup. Playing Monaghan in Clones this weekend I think.

mylestheslasher

Hoorah. Another moral victory and a another hard luck story. Please Donal, leave now! Got the garden finished today anyhow - its looking really nice.

anglocelt39

Looks like youi'll get what you want now Myles as in the new management team to lead us to the promised land. Met a few exiled Cavanmen down here last night and in a haze of pints I was told that, from impeccable sources of course, that a new management team has been lined up-Stephen King and Bernard Morris. Did you organise that yourself Myles? I reckon not.

Tuned in to Podge and Rodge for some of the Second half tonight. Down 8-3, goal from Gunner, down 13 to 1-9, then reeled them in steadily and went two points up into injury time and sure you were just waiting for what came next..............I suppose lads that have grown up on a steady diet of last minute defeats at underage level etc............It's actually a pity since I got the impression that the players really battled back into the game and were giving them a right going and then. From what I can gather Mackey and Johnston played quite well. Walsh came on in the second half, got a yellow card before he kicked a ball but things seemed to improve around the middle when he was introduced.

The really sad part from my own point of view was that this was a close as it gets to a local fixture for me now and I couldn't be arsed going. Three years ago a few of us were joyfully batin it up the road to an NFL fixture in Newbridge in the February pisses of rain and now it's come to this. From listening to the radio there were 8,000 people there and it sounded like about 200 were from Cavan. Awful sad it's come to this. We probably have enough talent to be at least respectable-if Fermanagh and Monaghan can do it we can too. The more I hear the more I accept that change is needed at managment level. Don't envy the new management team if it comes to that, lot of players have a poor attitude and they didn't pick it up under the current management team.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

trim blue

Just back from Newbridge and only went out of habit and some deep seated loyalty to 'Cavan football' which I vaguely remember as something worth supporting. I share everyones frustration at the current set up and the only shred of comfort from tonight is that it will hopefully now change. Having said that with 5 mins to go I was as passionate and as excited a Cavanman and supporter as I have ever been and so losing this way was just savage and at the moment I feel as depressed about it as losing to Derry in the qualifiers in 04 and losing to Armagh in 05, I could even throw in losing to Derry in 87. Anyway the king is dead long live the king.
ah sure tog out anyway

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 19, 2008, 10:18:37 PM
Looks like youi'll get what you want now Myles as in the new management team to lead us to the promised land. Met a few exiled Cavanmen down here last night and in a haze of pints I was told that, from impeccable sources of course, that a new management team has been lined up-Stephen King and Bernard Morris. Did you organise that yourself Myles? I reckon not.

Tuned in to Podge and Rodge for some of the Second half tonight. Down 8-3, goal from Gunner, down 13 to 1-9, then reeled them in steadily and went two points up into injury time and sure you were just waiting for what came next..............I suppose lads that have grown up on a steady diet of last minute defeats at underage level etc............It's actually a pity since I got the impression that the players really battled back into the game and were giving them a right going and then. From what I can gather Mackey and Johnston played quite well. Walsh came on in the second half, got a yellow card before he kicked a ball but things seemed to improve around the middle when he was introduced.

The really sad part from my own point of view was that this was a close as it gets to a local fixture for me now and I couldn't be arsed going. Three years ago a few of us were joyfully batin it up the road to an NFL fixture in Newbridge in the February pisses of rain and now it's come to this. From listening to the radio there were 8,000 people there and it sounded like about 200 were from Cavan. Awful sad it's come to this. We probably have enough talent to be at least respectable-if Fermanagh and Monaghan can do it we can too. The more I hear the more I accept that change is needed at managment level. Don't envy the new management team if it comes to that, lot of players have a poor attitude and they didn't pick it up under the current management team.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Stephen King would be a disaster of  a manager. Played with him and played for him and he was a great player but gives you nothing on the line. He just doesn't have what is needed. Maybe Morris does, I don't know. King would be no better than Keoghan and I mean that.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I probably shouldn't post this giving the mood I'm in. First the positives. Miller, Hannon (excellent first half in particular), Flanagan (despite being moved around the pitch like a chess piece) Johnston (second half) Eddie (for pure effort) Mackey(for one amazing point and a bit of heart and effort). Negatives. McKeever (disgraceful lack of effort for a captain) Keating (lost, but I won't blame him as I didn't blame McDonald) half back line Forde, Watters & McKeever (again) non-existent. The season ended in appropriate fashion by letting Kildare's centre back fun 50 metres unchallenged to set up a goal in injury time with us two up. He could have been dragged, tripped, shoulderd, boxed, or f**king headbutted and  we would've won the game by a point but instead moses took hold and the defence opened up. I dared to believe for one minute that we would have just a little glory and then my heart sunk. Kildare are woeful and will get a kicking next week. One man team in the excellent John Doyle. Oh I forgot-the last of our conveyor belt of midfielders Walsh was the changing of the game today. Wel done Donal on keeping the best til last. And to rub it in someone has to mention Stephen f**king King. As all board members as my witnesses if he gets the job next year I won't go to one game. Goodnight 2008, and good riddance.

trim blue

On a brighter note, brought my two young sons and their cousin to the match tonight and as we arrived at the ground the Cavan team bus pulled up alongside us and we waited to wish good luck to the players, Michael Brides spotted us and came over and said heres some tickets to get you and the boys in, don't know the man from Adam but it was an act of pure decency on his part which left a huge impression on us all on a night short of memorable moments.
ah sure tog out anyway

anglocelt39

we're a choosy enough oul' bunch, we don't like outsiders that are here for the money, we certainly don't like keoghan and Stephen King ain't our cup of tea either. Now I was the one who mentioned his name and I wouldn't give it too much credence as there was drink involved among some cavan emigrants however my source would have a good line into the county board. My worry would be if it's another, ahem, "dream team" of King and Morris, say. As in, who the f**k exactly is running the show. Morris' record to date would be at least as good as King's, so who is accountable, where does the buck stop etc.

We ain't exactly brimming over with Cavan born managers that have set the world alight at club level county level or any level so is it a case of a dual team approach where, say, somebody like Kernan, Boylan, whoever could be brought in for 2/3 years with a suitable assistant e.g. Damian O Reilly/Morris/Ray Cullivan, POD for fucks sake with a view to any of them learning on the job and taking over when the outsider pisses off. Anothe local to come in as an assistant when that happens. But maybe that's too simple or involves spendig a few bob.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds