Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 01, 2008, 12:41:53 PM
Apparently Kildare lost to Tipp in a challenge at the weekend
As far as I know the challenge between Kildare and Tipperary was played about 10 days ago.  You are right that Tipp won the game.

Swadman

Great report on the Minor game, Mylestheslasher. Hollowman is corect in saying McKiernan is from Swad, An Muileann Iarainn in Irish. I had to corect Northern Sound on it, as I was trying to make sense of their commentary. I say put Myles in the commentary box.  ;D

cavanmaniac

Welcome aboard Swadman. I think we have the a good geographical spread across the county now.

Denn Forever, if I go into it all again I'll probably collapse and if ac39 has to come in and read it all again he'll hunt me down and have me embalmed so I never ever post my views on it in this thread, but I think if we're looking at tactics and players as our first priority, we are putting the cart before the horse.

Attitude, pride in the county, commitment to training from all players (and those that can't commit can leave), and appointing highly respected and capable manager, provided by a county board that worries about success first and the cost of it second, are all top priorities. Then we can worry about personnel and tactics. We might have to take some pain but long term we'd be better off. It's the idea that changing tactics or a few players here and there will make the difference that's holding us back I think. Cavan's problems go right to the marrow of the bone; preparation, mentality, pride, organisation, belief etc. Until we grasp the nettle and address the foundations, we can have no aspirations as regards building any fortress.

I still stand by the assertion that a respected, proven manager with fresh ideas and good man management skills could come into this county and like McHugh did, have us battling for at least provincial honours inside three years. I think we have the players to be doing at least that, and more coming. Hell that man might even be McHugh himself if he's willing.

Just my opinion anyway, I'm sure others differ.

Swadman

Thanks Maniac,
Your thoughts on "a proven manager with fresh ideas and good man management skills" is spot on but he wouldnt even need fresh ideas, ANY ideas would do. The key is the man management element. Sorry, but our man dont have it. Your right, we have the players (some great minor hopes over the last 3 or 4 years) but they have been left without a shepard (to quote the Good Book) We are tripping over development squads from U-14 to U-17 but nothing between Minor and U-21. In rugger they have backs coaches and forwards coaches, we need to be targeting /grooming players for specific positions. Our most imediate requirement being mid-fielders.

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 02, 2008, 11:15:43 AM
Welcome aboard Swadman. I think we have the a good geographical spread across the county now.

interesting comment about geographical spread... thought that was lacking a bit with the minor squad... I think a few clubs are looked at a bit harder than others... ie those around cavan town with a few notable exceptions.... thought a lad from my own club was worth a better go than he got...

Having said that thought Mickey G did a better job than the two before him, I wonder would his proven track record at club level have anything to do with that???  Anyone else want to mention the elephant in the room?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

I agree with all that is being said but I don't believe getting a respected man would do F**k all.  Remember Liam Austin?

If I'm honest I think it is all down to players attitudes.  Who in the current panel is a leader of men?  Not the captain but the leader?  My one abiding memory of the Armagh game is Dermot McCabe bellowing to let the ball in long.  But was it done?

You talk about then good minors/U21 that have come and gone.  What changed?  Was it just natural wastage or specifically things that were done or not done?

My feeling is that we believe that we are better than we really are.  My thoughts go back to the players getting rid of manager.  If the players think they know better, prove it like the English rugby team did in the world cup. 

So endeth the rant (for now).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

North Longford

QuoteArmagh game is Dermot McCabe bellowing to let the ball in long.  But was it done?

I couldn't understand that with the Armagh game. A couple of weeks previously it was used at least 10 -15 times during the game and seemed to be a very concious tactic. Yet with most of the same players 2 weeks later it is gone out the window. The one exception was Johnstone who only played 15 mins against Longford. Is it possible with his presence, players know there is no point kicking high ball in to him and so don't kick any high ball in at all.
Maybe they are more used to trying to finding Johnston with low fast ball and once he was there they reverted to this. Obviously when it wasn't working in the first half you would hope they'd see this and change tactic.
I'd say in club football in Cavan the high ball to a big fullforward would not be the normal tactic. More there would be use of the quicker ball to a faster fullforward....johnston with  the gaels, Pierson with Gowna, Eddie with Mullahoran, Jason with Belturbet etc. I don't think of a lot of the top 10 or 12 teams that would use a big man at the edge of the square and hit him with high ball. If you are playing one way for 3/4 of the year it is very hard to change for a month in June.
Its something the management would need to have as a plan B for the whole year and be working on it throughout the year.

Mr. Pain

Hey Denn Forever thats too much like Mr. Pain's line. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

BallyhaiseMan

to be honest it would be my opinion, Underage success isnt a necessity to sucess at senior level,
Sure Tyrone,Derry,Laois,Westmeath etc have been successful at Minor and U21 and have improved their Senior teams.
And we must continue to try and improve our underage teams and structures.

However we have been as successful as the likes of
Fermanagh,Monaghan at underage level over the last 10-15 years at under 21 and Minor level,Yet both are playing at a much higher standard than us at the minute.
In reality its a cop out to just blame lack of success at Underage level.
Theres something seriously wrong the psyche of Cavan Footballers when they go out against the Likes of Tyrone and Derry.They are beaten before they take the field.
The Employment of  couple of full time Sports Psychologists is a step in the right direction.

Homer

Very quiet around these parts.

Congratulations all round to everyone involved with the Feile at the weekend. By all accounts a brilliant festival with some very enjoyable games produced.

Ballinagh will learn their irreversible fate by the end of this week as they re-submit an appeal of clemency to the county board. The club has taken a few internal measures and hopes this may be enough to sway things in their favour but I can't say I hold much hope on the CB budging after all the media coverage.

As for the county set-up it's been confirmed that McDonald, Gaffney and Cunningham have all jumped ship over the last week.
Myles, any sightings of Keoghan around Killeshandra with a spade?

cavan4ever

Quote from: Homer on July 08, 2008, 12:16:32 PM

As for the county set-up it's been confirmed that McDonald, Gaffney and Cunningham have all jumped ship over the last week.

I knew about Gaffney and Cunningham and didn't hear about McDonald but i knew well  he would walk. 

Keogan got the Team to go to Clones last Sunday for a challenge game with Monaghan.  When they got there they found out the game wasn't till this Sunday.  Is it any wonder players are walking if he can't even organise a challenge game properly.

Hollow Man

Gaffney had good reason to quit, thought he was harshly treated. Still, he should hang on and see out the year anyway.

McDonald had no grounds to quit the panel. He was handed a starting jersey having done no training, then was given a second chance against Armagh having been taken off once. If I were him I'd be embarrassed.

Cunningham didn't look fit when I saw him.

How many have quit the panel now? Donohoe, Lyng, Ciaran Galligan, Raymond Galligan, Gaffney, Cunningham, Pierson... Is Fannin still there? Finbar Reilly?

There must be f**k all left on the squad. Hopefully they can rustle up 15 to give Monaghan a challenge game if they get the date right.

Hollow Man

If Keogan was going to run to the papers and talk shite every time someone quit the panel this year, like he did last year, he'd have been a busy man!

Homer

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 08, 2008, 02:53:33 PM

Keogan got the Team to go to Clones last Sunday for a challenge game with Monaghan.  When they got there they found out the game wasn't till this Sunday.  Is it any wonder players are walking if he can't even organise a challenge game properly.

Heard the same actually, a couple of lads supposedly came down from Dublin for it too, only to find someone had got the dates wrong.

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 08, 2008, 03:19:16 PM
How many have quit the panel now? Donohoe, Lyng, Ciaran Galligan, Raymond Galligan, Gaffney, Cunningham, Pierson... Is Fannin still there? Finbar Reilly?

Off the top of my head the following players have left the panel or been dropped this year:

Colm Anderson
Rory Donohoe
Anthony Gaynor
Eamon Reilly
Alan Clarke
John Cunningham
Michael Cunningham
Michael McDonald
Declan Gaffeney
Raymond Galligan
Raymond Cullivan
Ciaran Galligan
Micheal Lyng
Gerard Pierson

Also Finbar Reilly and Nicolas Walsh both quit the panel this year but later returned as well as the Chicago 3. Fannin is still in there I think.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Homer on July 08, 2008, 03:47:01 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on July 08, 2008, 02:53:33 PM

Heard the same actually, a couple of lads supposedly came down from Dublin for it too, only to find someone had got the dates wrong.

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 08, 2008, 03:19:16 PM

Off the top of my head the following players have left the panel or been dropped this year:

Colm Anderson
Rory Donohoe
Anthony Gaynor
Eamon Reilly
Alan Clarke
John Cunningham
Michael Cunningham
Michael McDonald
Declan Gaffeney
Raymond Galligan
Raymond Cullivan
Ciaran Galligan
Micheal Lyng
Gerard Pierson

Also Finbar Reilly and Nicolas Walsh both quit the panel this year but later returned as well as the Chicago 3. Fannin is still in there I think.

Any explainations why these persons were dropped or left the panel?

If we get a new manager, will these players make themselves available?

If they left the panel of their own accord, will the manager trust them?

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...