Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 04, 2008, 04:12:41 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 04, 2008, 03:55:47 PM
im sorry lads i just cannot help it  ;D

You're getting risen to easy these days BHM.  How is the league going anyway?

bottom 4
Castlerahan 6
Belturbet  5
Drumalee  4

Its very close
Ballinagh in 4th place are on 9 points.
with Cuchullains,Gaels, Lacken way ahead on 14, 13, 13 points respectively at the top.

How are drung going? Knockbride beat ye at the weekend? Howd the county lads get on, Larry on Fire?

cavan4ever

Yeah kicked alot of wides against Knockbride probably should have beaten them but they took there chances. Larry kicked a few nice points and John Tierney played well in midfield.  Goals conceded are costing us games, our county goalie has let in 6 in last 3 games and Watters is playing very poor trying to do it all himself.

cavanmaniac

How's Tierney looking these days, is he any way fit?

I think Keogan should draft him on to the county panel and send him training down to Crusheen with Mike Mac, would bring him on a ton.

:o

Mr. Pain

What does everyone think of how the league has shaped up so far? Cuchullains and Lacken near top, Mullahoran having a poor run to date, Killygarry coming good after a good start, Ballyhaise starting well then doing poorly...... Mr. Pain could go on and on. It's a fcuked up league so far. Any predictions for winners, who will get relegated? Looks like Drumalee at the minute (no offence Boojangles) 
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

mylestheslasher

Don't really know who is going down from Div 1 as I haven't seen any Div 1 games but I think it is a good sign that quite a lot of clubs can compete with each other across the division and there is at least a little bit of competition for honours. I didn't expect to see cuchulains do so well. On the downside to see big towns like B'boro and K'court doing so bad is a great shame - Cavan football could do with these teams being strong.

Mr. Pain

Mr. Pain would have to agree with that. Those big clubs would need to be feeding players on to the county team. The smaller clubs are doing well but don't have the numbers and are less likely to have an exceptional player in their ranks. That said, there are serious problems when the likes of Kingscourt and Balieborough are not competing at the highest level. These are towns with large populations but perhaps that is the problem and the influence of foreign sports doesn't help things. Rant over!

boojangles

The League definetely has been a strange one so far.At the moment we look like certs to go down,We hav alot of problems and alot of injuries.We are missing a few big strong experienced men round the middle that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck..We have lost an unbelieveable amount of players in the last 3 years,some have left the club or country(Micky Brennan,Johnny Higgins,Seanie Flea Lee,Francie Cleary,Micky Lee) while injuries are also killing us(Brendan Smith,Kevin Gavigan,Colm Caffrey)to name but a few.We have 6 weeks to get things right and hopefully give a good account of ourselves against Ballyhaise.
The point was made earlier about foreign sports being a problem for town teams such as Bailieboro and Kingscourt and to be honest I can only see these problems getting worse for the GAA.We hav about 5 or 6 Senior players who also play competitive soccer but I look to our U-14 Team I would say about 10 or 11 are playing soccer while some have quit to play soccer.
The best I can do with my U-14 panel is try to work around soccer games and training,because I know it sounds sad but alot of young lads if they had to choose between Gaelic and Soccer there is only 1 winner.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on June 05, 2008, 05:58:28 PM
The League definetely has been a strange one so far.At the moment we look like certs to go down,We hav alot of problems and alot of injuries.We are missing a few big strong experienced men round the middle that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck..We have lost an unbelieveable amount of players in the last 3 years,some have left the club or country(Micky Brennan,Johnny Higgins,Seanie Flea Lee,Francie Cleary,Micky Lee) while injuries are also killing us(Brendan Smith,Kevin Gavigan,Colm Caffrey)to name but a few.We have 6 weeks to get things right and hopefully give a good account of ourselves against Ballyhaise.
The point was made earlier about foreign sports being a problem for town teams such as Bailieboro and Kingscourt and to be honest I can only see these problems getting worse for the GAA.We hav about 5 or 6 Senior players who also play competitive soccer but I look to our U-14 Team I would say about 10 or 11 are playing soccer while some have quit to play soccer.
The best I can do with my U-14 panel is try to work around soccer games and training,because I know it sounds sad but alot of young lads if they had to choose between Gaelic and Soccer there is only 1 winner.

Yeh losing Two county men
in Micky Brennan and Johnny Higgins would be a blow to any Senior Club,
Clubs at Intermediate level cant afford to lose such players.
Francie Clearly was a class act at underage level and was playing good stuff for London this yera i believe aswell,
Flea and Mickey Lee are also loses.

Dont be trying your sweet talk about how ye will try and give a "good account" of yerselves in the Championship. Im not Buying it. ;D

BallyhaiseMan

Lads any idea who was marking Brian Kavanagh who scored 0-10 including 0-6 from play in the recent Challenge game?

North Longford

QuoteLads any idea who was marking Brian Kavanagh who scored 0-10 including 0-6 from play in the recent Challenge game?
Both Pauric Reilly and Rory Dunne tried but there wasn't much difference in the effect they had...I 'd say no difference at all. And it could have been worse. I'd say he kicked at least 5 wides from play all of which could have been scored.
Kavanagh is a bit bigger than your regular speedy free scoring corner forward so the ball doesn't have to always be the best which makes it very hard for a back to mark him. I'd say there are a lot of backs in Longford club football glad to see him plying his trade inm Dublin!

cavanmaniac

Kavanagh is a rare breed, he's right up there with the very best. I love watching him play, I'm not surprised to hear he had the Cavan defenders in ribbons, he's taken on far better and made bits of them as well.

I fancy Armagh to stick 2-15 past us on Sunday week.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 06, 2008, 10:47:14 AM
Kavanagh is a rare breed, he's right up there with the very best. I love watching him play, I'm not surprised to hear he had the Cavan defenders in ribbons, he's taken on far better and made bits of them as well.

I fancy Armagh to stick 2-15 past us on Sunday week.

I know Kavanagh is a class act,but you cannot let a player score 0-10 with 6 from play, and expect to beat any half decent team.
Stevie from Killeavy could score 3 or 4 goals on his own with the way we are going.
Keoghan still thinks Rory Dunne is an IC Full back i see.  ::)
Anyone can see he doesnt have the speed of the mark to compete with Top Class players.(at least not yet this early in his IC Career)

Celt_Man

It's not Rory Dunne at full back that worries me.... John Cunningham at centre half back... with all due respect to him John but holy jaysus... don't understand why Keoghan is starting to try him there at this late stage??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Mr. Pain

Dudes this is the team:

1.CC1 (watched James Reilly enough and will replace him at club level due to recent form)
2.Celt_Man (wants to fix the backs problem)
3.Ballyhaise Man (very defensive)
4.cavanmaniac (there to stop Armagh from scoring 2-15 against Cavan)
5.Anglo Celt 39 (good wing back, ultra-defensive but often offensive)
6.boojangles (another defensive man who can also attack, will steady the ship)
7.mylestheslasher (has a good brain most times but can be caught ball-watching)
8.cavan4ever (can lead the team and does not get into arguments)
9.Homer (steady hands at midfield)
10.North Longford (well, Cavan often have at least one blow-in)
11.Lawerence of Knockbride (if anything like his namesake he should do well)
12.cavan4sam (good young fella coming through)
13.Mr. Pain (offensive player)
14.Hollow Man (unbelievably offensive, plus it would be good to keep him far away from BHM)
15.Denn Forever (between him and the young gortnaleck)

Anyone agree/disagree?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Only if I'm captain and Peter & Michael can play. I'm away after my tail.