Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Was home for the 1st time in a long time so called into watch the leaguers play B'boro in what was the last match in Packie Devlin park before the ground is redeveloped. Leaguers won by 14 - 10. The match was close early on but leaguers went in 3 points up at half time. Thomais O Reilly was sent off for punching 10 minutes before half time (rightly so). 10 mins into the 2nd half Declan McKiernan was also sent of for striking (again rightly so) but leaguers held on to win by 4. B'boro are shockingly poor. They look unfit, lacking in ideas and never looked like winning this game. They look like a team that could dissappear into junior football and stay there for a long time. Killeshandra have a very young team with some real good county prospects. Phillip Kings (King Communication fame and brother of Steven) son Patrick started FF and is only just gone 17. The lad is well over 6 ft and absoltuley destroyed his man. I am bit mistified why he didn't get a chance when he was on the minor panel this year. At Corner back is Cillian Reilly who is a real speed merchant and tight marker. Makes tackles, lays it off simple and never mouths to the ref or other players. At midfield Declan McKiernan and Thomais Reilly are two certainties for county football. But there is a down side. Killeshandras discipline is a disgrace. Constantly niggling off the ball, throwing punchs and mouthing to players and refs. I saw 3 times Declan McKiernan struck a player. Twice with the fist and one sly dig with the knee. Thomais Reilly also punched an opposition player which is not his usual form. A B'boro player was also knocked out by a punch on the half time whistle and looked in a bad way as he was treated during the whole half time break. On Tuesday night last in a reserve game they also had 2 men sent off for boxing. If the Leaguers management don't get this under control they will ruin this team. The problem is the management are just as bad, encrouching onto the pitch to abuse the ref and defend the undefensible. Some of the more sensible Killeshandra playes had to drag King of the pitch (on a side note king was wearing a vest tucked in under a track suit and was the closest thing I have ever seen to Rab C Nesbit - big belly to boot). I also hear that Declan McKiernan is gone to the US now for the summer so won't feature in the championship.

CC1

We lost to the Goonies with a last minute goal...  :-[
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Celt_Man

I was at the game CC1 on friday, goonies robbed you with that goal.... but ye should have been out of sight at half time... could have had 2 maybe 3 goals in d first half.... glad Mickey Reilly (is that his name,,, young buck wearing No. 9) wasn't playing against us - very lively footballer but unfortunately you needed him at mid field and another version of him in full forward...
myles have to agree about the mouthing and behaviour of some of the killeshandra boyos... they beat us fair and square earlier on in the league... but some of the things one of the mid fielders was saying was just brutal... some of his team mates looked actually embarrassed of him...
we played ballymachugh on saturday... absolutely blessed to get a point even though we missed a glorious chance to win it with the last kick of the ball.... terrible performance by ourselves
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

Longford hand Cavan defeat in Dromard
03 June 2008

Longford emerged as three-point victors from their meeting with Cavan in the Stevie O'Reilly annual tournament at Pairc Na Gael, Dromard last Monday evening.

Longford 1-19
Cavan 1-16

Ten points from Longford ace Brian Kavanagh saw the hosts register an uplifting win against a Cavan side who were without sharpshooter Sean Johnston for the majority of the match.

Despite trailing by two points at the break, Luke Dempsey's side put together a vigorous second-half display, which was spearheaded by the illustrious Kavanagh, to see off Donal Keogan's charges on the day.
Liam Keenan's switch to full-forward also proved crucial for the Leinster side as the St. Patrick's clubman capped off his impressive performance by hitting the back of the Cavan net at the halfway stage of the second-half.

Former All Star Dermot McCabe started with the number 14 jersey on his back for the visitors and had a tally of 1-7 to boast come the full-time whistle in Dromard.

However, it was Keenan's green flag which levelled the game and gave Longford the edge coming into the final quarter.

Kavanagh had given the Cavan defence a torrid time up to now and the Kilmacud Crokes star kept his outstanding performance going until the 70 minutes were up as he pointed his side to the finish line.

Sean Johnston came on late for the Ulster outfit to lash over a late free, but to no avail as an inspired Longford side held out for victory with three points to spare over their neighbours in the end.

Absent of Johnston for much of the game, Cavan were also without team captain Mark McKeever, Ronan Flanagan and Jason O'Reilly, who should all be available for the Ulster SFC quarter-final meeting with Armagh in Breffni Park on June 15.

Meanwhile, Longford have a timely wait ahead of them until their next SFC outing as they play in the All-Ireland qualifiers on the weekend of July 18/19, after exiting in the first round of the Leinster SFC to Westmeath.

Longford - Damien Sheridan; Dermot Brady, Arthur O'Connor, Noel Farrell; Paddy McDonnell, Enda Williams, Declan Reilly; Liam Keenan (1-0), Paddy Dowd (0-2); Peter Foy (0-1), Paul Barden (0-1), David Barden (0-2); Mark Smith (0-1), Brian Kavanagh (0-10) (4f), Francis Magee (0-2)

Subs: Stephen Watters for Damien Sheridan, Cathal Conefrey for Paddy McDonnell, Thomas Gallagher for Mark Smith

Cavan - James O'Reilly; Padraig O'Reilly, Rory Dunne, Martin Cahill; Anthony Forde, John Cunningham, Jonathan Crowe; Lorcan Mulvey, Michael McDonald; Martin Reilly (0-3) (1f), Barry Watters, Cian Mackey (0-1) (1f); Sean Brady (0-1), Dermot McCabe (1-7), Eddie O'Reilly (0-3)

Subs: James Carolan for James O'Reilly, John McCutcheon for Martin Cahill, Keith Fannin for Jonathan Crowe, Declan Gaffney for Michael McDonald, Sean Johnston (0-1) (1f) for Eddie O'Reilly

CC1

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 03, 2008, 12:50:18 AM
I was at the game CC1 on friday, goonies robbed you with that goal.... but ye should have been out of sight at half time... could have had 2 maybe 3 goals in d first half.... glad Mickey Reilly (is that his name,,, young buck wearing No. 9) wasn't playing against us - very lively footballer but unfortunately you needed him at mid field and another version of him in full forward...
It was one of those days alright, everything we did seemed to be right on the day but the day just wasn't ours. Every goal chance we had seemed to just rise over the bar and in the second half we seemed like we were ran off our feet in periods. The hard work in the first half tired us out and if we had taken our chances maybe it could have been a different story. Story of our year so far really. Yeah Mickey is a super footballer when he's flying fit, both he and Kenny Burns (number 14 against the goonies) have the highest spring for a ball I think I have ever seen and personally I think they're as good as anybody in the county. You're right though we do need one forward of some calibre at the moment, the lads up there are good footballers but they can go missing far too often, there are lads on the bench but its hard to know who the right combination is...

Very surprised to hear you drew with BMH, would have thought that it would have been an easy two points for you as they are a very limited team in my opinion. Big, hard hitting men but not enough footballers. Thought the movement of your half backs and midfield coming forward would have been too much for them...
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Mr. Pain

Rough weekend, kidneys sore, league games over for a while. Focus is back on the county team, a team who couldn't beat Longford. Only plus is McCabe's scoring.
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

mylestheslasher

Div 3 league table. Can't believe that Cornafean are so bad - what the hell is going on with  them? Is their relegation in Div 4 after Templeports appeal last year? Believe it or not there is a poster on these boards called "Cornafean" but he/she never posts on the Cavan thread for some reason. I'd be interested to know what is happening there. Anyone have up to date tables on the other divisions.

Team ------------P W L D Points
Laragh Utd ------8 6 1 1 13
Kill-------------- -8 6 2 0 12
Crosserlough ---8 6 2 0 12
Templeport -----8 5 2 1 11
Corlough --------9 4 3 2 10
Kildallon ---------9 4 3 2 10
Shannon Gaels--9 4 4 1 9
Butlersbridge ---8 4 3 1 9
Swanlinbar ------9 4 4 1 9
Muntirconnacht -8 2 3 3 7
Arva -------------9 3 6 0 6
Mountnugent ----9 2 5 2 6
Maghera --------9 0 6 3 3
Cornafean-------9 0 6 3 3

BallyhaiseMan

id have taken Cornafean to be a top 4 Division 3 team at the start of the year, shocking to see them rock bottom

There is relegation this year yes

1 goes down and 1  from Division 4 goes up.

I Still think they will stay up

Maghera for me will go down.

BallyhaiseMan

we lost 1-08 to 0-08 to Castlerahan after dominating the game for all but the last 10 minutes

Mackey scored 1-04, The Goal was dodgy though,Goalkeeping mistake

Barry Kelly kept him very quiet.

He moved out to centre forward for last 15 minutes and done damage.

Hollow Man

I would suggest that he didn't keep him that quiet if he scored almost as much as your whole team put together.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 04, 2008, 03:39:21 PM
I would suggest that he didn't keep him that quiet if he scored almost as much as your whole team put together.

do you want me to spell it out for you

he scored a flukey goal with an attempted shot that was dropped into the goal by our keeper,
He was completely non existant at full forward were Barry Kelly won virtually every ball,
He then switched out to Centre Forward where Kelly stayed at Full Back, where he made a huge impact and scored 0-3 in the last 15 minutes.
Is that clear enough for you now?

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 04, 2008, 03:44:15 PM
Quote from: Hollow Man on June 04, 2008, 03:39:21 PM

do you want me to spell it out for you

he scored a flukey goal with an attempted shot that was dropped into the goal by our keeper,
He was completely non existant at full forward were Barry Kelly won virtually every ball,
He then switched out to Centre Forward where Kelly stayed at Full Back, where he made a huge impact and scored 0-3 in the last 15 minutes.
Is that clear enough for you now?

These cavan threads are getting very bitchy  :D

Mr. Pain

No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

BallyhaiseMan

im sorry lads i just cannot help it  ;D

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 04, 2008, 03:55:47 PM
im sorry lads i just cannot help it  ;D

You're getting risen to easy these days BHM.  How is the league going anyway?