Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Longford

It appears rumours of th late night lock ins in the Imperial have some substance.........from the horses mouth....

Keoghan backs Cavan against Antrim

May 12, 2008

Cavan boss Donal Keoghan has revealed that he locked his side away the past few weeks as he looks to prepare his players ahead of next Sunday's Ulster SFC preliminary round clash with Antrim in Casement Park.

http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=22872

mylestheslasher

Quote from: North Longford on May 13, 2008, 09:18:11 AM
It appears rumours of th late night lock ins in the Imperial have some substance.........from the horses mouth....

Keoghan backs Cavan against Antrim

May 12, 2008

Cavan boss Donal Keoghan has revealed that he locked his side away the past few weeks as he looks to prepare his players ahead of next Sunday's Ulster SFC preliminary round clash with Antrim in Casement Park.

http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=22872

Nice one :D

LackenLegend

Quote from: Homer on May 12, 2008, 02:26:50 PM
A hard fought two points for Ballinagh on Saturday in a hard-hitting but low-scoring victory over neighbours Lacken. Patrick Carroll, Damien McInerney and Paul Galligan were on form for us and Darragh McCarthy also providing a fantastic save to keep us on top. Lacken are flying fit and were somewhat hard won by to leave without a point as they looked the hungrier for most of the game but failed to make it count on the scoreboard. One has to wonder have they peaked a little early in the year.

As for the county scene I heard Rabbitte limped off from a training game and looks unlikely to start next Sunday.  :(

Yes we have definitely peaked too early, and with Ballinagh missing Beard, Podge and Gaynor as well as Moore and Niall McDermott from the minors. We could have gotten a point. It didn't really matter that we were missing Trevor Crowe, Gary McGauran, Raymond Galligan (came on at the end though f**ked), Colm Sheridan, Terry Hyland, Shane O Reilly and played with a half fit Finbar O Reilly. Its looking like Paul McGauran, Johnny Sheridan and Donal Shanaghy will be out for a while now too. We are but a small club ya know!
Timmmmy!

CC1

Just want to say congrats to the Shercock u14's on making the Rionn A final in the clubs first ever year at that grade. Beating Ramor Utd by 6 points in Bailieboro. Hopefully now they can go on to win it, make another little bit of history for the club.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

boojangles

CC1-Well done I was up in Bailieboro to watch the U-14 semi-finals last nite.Shercock beat my lads in the Quarter final so I was delighted to see yas make the final.I spoke to your manager after our game and told him that if your lads play to their potential they would definetely trouble the best in the County.We had beaten Cavan Gaels the week before and while(making no excuses) we hadnt played near as well against Shercock I still feel yous are in with a big shout against the Gaels.The Gaels hav some fine footballers including a brother of Mickey Grahams at full-forward,and a good forty-yards man too.Il not say too much more about my neighbours,Im sure your Coaches were watching too!
On another note the death of Veronica Sharkey nee Brady(Gunner) occurred yesterday morning.Veronica was married to Pat Sharkey(Drumalees Club President),Aunt of Donal Keoghan and Paul the Gunner and related to Dermot McCabe I believe also.A very popular woman locally,she has represented Fianna Fail at County Council level for a number of years.May she rest in peace.

Hollow Man

what do you think of the team for sunday lads?

There's not much physical power there, bar McCabe, McDonald and Sheridan.

The half forward line of Martin Reilly, Flanagan and Watters has to be one of the smallest and lightest in the country.

However, there is a lot of pace in the team, bar Jason...

mylestheslasher

I'm posting on it in the "official" match thread over on the GAA Discussion page. Agree with what you say though.

gortnaleck

Come on lads,some of you in the know has to enlighten us as to what is going on regarding the team for Sunday.I heard Eddie has a knee injury,what about Podge ?

cavan4ever

Quote from: gortnaleck on May 16, 2008, 04:52:29 AM
Come on lads,some of you in the know has to enlighten us as to what is going on regarding the team for Sunday.I heard Eddie has a knee injury,what about Podge ?

I'm told he is playing bad.

BallyhaiseMan

and Sean Brady, Gerard Pierson?  ::) this selection in just mystifying.

Hollow Man

Pierson hasn't played much recently and maybe isn't 100 per cent, and as for Sean Brady... while I rate him, it's about time he started actually doing the business. He's on the panel six years now, same as Johnston and McKeever, yet he is no closer to a regular spot on the team than he was back whe he started.

He always loks the part, but he rarely actually delivers, unfortunately, because I rate him as a very talented footballer.

At this stage, I would definitely have Eddie Reilly ahead of Jayo - Jason is too slow now and he's lost his mobility.

While I think Martin Reily and Ronan Flanagan are two of the best yong players around, you can only afford to have so may players of that type in the side.

How many really small fellas can you get away with in the Ulster championship? Michael Brides is very small, Martin Cahill is the same, Flanagan is small, Martin Reily is small and light as is Watters. Mackey is small, Jelly is small... You're talking lads of 5 foot 7 or 8 here. Think of the Meath side with the likes of Crawford, Fay, O'Rourke, Ward, monsters all.

I think we could see a change with McCabe going to full forward and someone else starting at midfield... I know Cullivan isn't in great shape at the moment, maybe Walsh or Mulvey? Could Jason make way?

We only have one option now, that is the low ball into space - in order to create that space, one of the full forwards will have to drop deep. Going on other games, I think Keogan sees Mackey as suitable for this role, which would be an awful move in my opinion.

Could we see McCabe on the edge of the square with Jason starting on the bench and Mackey out the field?

mylestheslasher

I wouldn't be suprised to see Keoghan on the edge of the square to be honest. Joking aside, I think there could be something in what you are saying. I have been harping on here in the past about the need for plan B. I would like to see McCabe given a decent run at FF and a move like that would certainly give us some more options. What you are saying could also come to pass as I don't think McCabe played in any game since we lost in the league to Westmeath. I suspect he might have an injury which may mean Keoghan will move him out of midfield. At the moment this team is far far too small. Maybe it is a master plan and there will be wholescale changes before throw in but I doubt it.

boojangles

Well what more could we expect from the Maverick that is Keoghan.A team that has some Cavan fans wondering is it worthwhile travelling(bar the minors of course).I really really cant see us starting with that team.Like where did Watters come from?he didnt even feature in the challenge games in the last few weeks.Podge is supposed to b Captain yet isnt starting,whats that about.I also think we'l see Gunner at some stage.Antrims Midfield isnt great so we mite see McCabe on the square.Ah who knows really.Im not expecting much from Cavan which probably means we'l win by 15 points,but I wouldnt put my house on it.
Any of yas read todays Star-an interview with Cian Mackey in which he reckons Cavan should beat Antrim 'fairly well' and he reckons the Dubs are no great shakes.Thats all rich coming from a Cavan player.That kinda shite can b done without and only gives teams motivation.
The Minor team in comparison has gone with no real suprises, has no injuries to report and a very low-key build-up.It can b all on the day with Minors so Im not gonna predict anything.All I will say though is that I will b more disappointed if our Minors lose. :'( :'( :'(

mylestheslasher

Mackey says the dubs aren't that great????? Wonder what the Dubs are saying about him? Cian who...

boojangles

Tite prediction time lads-Im going for the draw in the Senior and the Minors by 4 points.McCabe to do damage in the square.