Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 23, 2008, 03:54:58 PM
Cavan are going to be a write off this year and there is no doubt about that. Not only is Keoghan a completely useless manager, as we all know, but the players have clearly had enough of him too. What a mess. Another year pissed away. I am starting to consider what team to adopt this year after our enevitable collapse. I am thinking Fermanagh. I think they will shock the mushroom men who are totally over rated in my opinion.

You would get more enjoyment outta that anyway.

Celt_Man

Can anyone shed any light on the supposed foul up with the Under 21 draw this year? Hearing talk of it having to be done again as Drumalee were put in the wrong division, division 1 instead of 2.
Anyone else have the fixtures for the junior b, c and d championships?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

Cavan Junior team drew with Kildare Wednesday evening.  Hear they only had 16 players because of lads away in college. Trevor Crowe centre half back and sean maguire midfield was all i heard off , anyone know who else is on the team.

Lawrence of Knockbride

From Hoganstand. Who could have forseen such behaviour the big K:...........................Players such as Nicholas Walsh, Martin Cahill (Denn) and Darren Rabbitte (Cavan Gaels) are back in training with the county panel and can expect to get a run-out in these challenge games.........................................

So two of the three are back and morale amongst the fringe players must be as low as Keoghan's integrity. I can almost see the next few weeks unfolding. What chance a recall for Larry & The Gunner with none of our midfielders from the league starting against Antrim. Rabitte will come in at full-back having not played this year yet as will Cahill, Walsh & Larry. Fanin, Cunningham et al will pack it in due to the treatmeant they've received and we'll lose the back-door game to Clare.

C'mon, I know it's childish but Spirits need a-lifting.

boojangles

Well ya definetely couldnt blame anyone called in to the panel at this late stage for going in.Anybody on the Championship panel gets the £2500 grant.Not bad cash after having a handy enough Winter and Spring without pre-season county training.
Didnt hear anything about the c**k-up with the U-21 draw,but it wouldnt suprise ya would it.Like any Board that could pick Keoghan as Senior manager couldnt hardly b relied upon.
The one good thing about this year if ya could call it that is that we are expecting absolutely NOTHING from this summer,compared to some other years.So at least when we (probably) fail we wont really b that disappointed.Thats about the only positives I can take from the whole situation-Sad isnt it. ???

cavan4ever

Speaking of the grant i heard the great one encouraged a player to come in 2 weeks ago by promise of the grant.  player - "No Donal i have no interest i just want to play with club "   Mr K -" sure come in for a few weeks u will get the grant"   player - "ok"

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

cavanmaniac

I hate the way O'Neills are taking liberties by adding strange colours to county shirts.

Navy on the Cavan jersey?

mylestheslasher

I imagine the county board must also sanction it, hence the silly design and change in colour. I suppose it looks nice enough but i would prefer a traditional design myself.

BallyhaiseMan

its a nice jersey, for all the good it will do us when we are out of the championship within the next month and a half.

boojangles

I stayed at home to watch the foreign sports yesterday,Munster-(now theres lads that play as a team) and Everton(5th spot thank U very much) but my Dad was mental enough to head up to watch our Senior stars play Sligo in Blacklion.They were on the way home from a training wkend in Donegal.They supposedly trained 3 times on Saturday.Reminds me of a big cramming session coming up to a big exam on a subject that you'v done F*** all for all year!!
Very poor performance,going thru the motions really.Final score was 2-18 to 4-7 to Sligo.(Did they not just get relegated to Div.4)
Team was Carolan Colm Hannon Rabitte and Fannin,Crowe Rory Dunne Brides,McDonald and Walsh,Forde Cullivan ?,Pierson Sean Brady and Mackey.

shotstopper1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 28, 2008, 02:34:43 PM
its a nice jersey, for all the good it will do us when we are out of the championship within the next month and a half.

See O'Neills think that also, as the Cavan Jersey is €37 whilst the others are €31

BallyhaiseMan

think il pass,
il just ask Sean or Ray for one for about 25-30 quid.  :P
Boojangles, no-one can ever dispute what a gael your da is, travelling 50 mile to see a challenge match.
Training 3 times on a saturday on a training weekend,if theres a problem with fitness now that they have to train 3 times a day,then we are in big trouble,
They should have all the hard work done by now as all the other county teams do and be concentrating on sharpness and speed training.Then again most teams dont have to run all those pints off at this time of year  >:(

Carolan Colm Hannon Rabitte and Fannin,Crowe Rory Dunne Brides,McDonald and Walsh,Forde Cullivan ?,Pierson Sean Brady and Mackey

conceding 2-18 really is desperate stuff
From how i see it

James Carolan
Colm Hannon
Rory Dunne
Michael McDonald
Cian Mackey
will all be definite subs against Antrim

Rabbitte
Walsh and Ray depend on fitness,

Keith Fannin
Johnny Crowe
Michael Brides
Forde
Pierson
Sean Brady
are probable starters

depending on strength of Sligo team of course, i wouldnt be that worried about losing these games.

mylestheslasher

Match report from the Hoganstand. It seems like the hoganstand is becoming the celt when it comes to match reporting. Apparantley Cavan came into the game in the 2nd half when at one point they were 11 points down, yet they were only 3 down at half time. Sean Brady either scored 2-4 or 2-2....

Cavan lose to Sligo
29 April 2008

The senior county sides of Cavan and Sligo continued their preparations for their respective provincial championship competitions when they met in a challenge game on Sunday, April 27th to mark the official opening of Shannon Gaels GFC redeveloped Park, Pairc Ghaeil na Sionnainne in Blacklion.

Both sides fielded experimental sides on this occasion, and after a high-scoring and enjoyable encounter it was the reigning Connacht champions, Sligo who came out on top on a scoreline of 2-19 to 4-7.

Both sides go into the championship campaign on the back of disappointing league campaigns which saw Cavan return to Division Three football next season, while Sligo will be playing their league football in the fourth division next season.

Sligo dominated this game on Sunday from start to finish and at one stage in the game they were ahead by 11 points. The Breffni side came more into the game in the second-half after the Yeats county had led at the break by 0-9 to 2-2.

The game saw the return to competitive action of the Cavan Gaels duo of defender, Darren Rabbitte and midfielder, Nicholas Walsh. However, Walsh retired from the action towards the end of the first-half to be replaced while Rabbitte's return will give the Breffni management some defensive options ahead of the Antrim game. Castlerahan's Sean Brady also made a return to county action in the full-forward line and contributed 2-4 to the Cavan sides tally.

The Sligo side had the better of the third quarter and goals from Sean Davey and Gary Gaughan left them in a strong position leading by 2-11 to 2-2. The Breffni side finished the game strongly and reduced the leeway to five points at the finish. However, over the hour Sligo were the superior side and had the satisfaction of finishing the game with the final score of the game - a point from Daniel Davey.

Cavan play Meath in their final challenge game before the Ulster senior football championship game with Antrim in Ashbourne on Sunday next at 6 p.m. when it is hoped that the Cavan management will be in a position to field a much stronger side, and go all out for a morale-boosting victory ahead of the Antrim game in the coming weeks.

Cavan - James Carolan; Colm Hannon, Darren Rabbitte, Keith Fannin; Jonathan Crowe, Rory Dunne, Michael Brides; Michael McDonald (1-1), Nicholas Walsh; Anthony Forde, Raymond Cullivan, Martin Cahill; Cian Mackey (1-2), Sean Brady (2-2), Gerald Pearson.
Subs - Lorcan Mulvey for Nicholas Walsh), Ronan Flanagan for Anthony Forde (half-time), Dermot Sheridan for Michael Brides, Eddie Reilly for Jonathan Crowe, John Cunningham (0-1) for Lorcan Mulvey, Jason Reilly (0-1) for Gerald Pearson, Declan Gaffney for Sean Brady.

Sligo - Thomas Jordan; Jason Farrell, Niall Ewing, Pat Naughton; Ross Donovan, Eoin McHugh (0-1), Brendan Philips; Paul McGovern, Brendan Egan; Sean Davey (1-1), Gary Gaughan (1-2), Kenneth Sweeney; Daniel Davey (0-4), Eamonn Cawley (0-4) John. Davey (0-3), David Kelly (0-4).
Subs - S. Henry for B. Egan, L. Bree for E. McHugh.

Hollow Man

Normally you can have a stab at the championship 15 round this time but it's impossible this year.

Imagine trying to pick the midfield for example. It could be any two from:

McCabe
Mulvey
Walsh
Cunningham
Gaffney
McDonald

with only McCabe any better than the rest.

Then in the full forward line, Keogan is persisting with Mackey (who apparently went on the beer before the u21 debacle then was dropped then recalled), so it looks like any two from Mackey, Pierson, Eddie and Jason along with Johnston.

What odds someone completely new to join the panel yet and make a championship appearance? Quite likely I would think...

My team would be

Reilly

Hannon
Rabbitt
Brides/Fannin

Sheridan
Podge
Flanagan

McCabe
Walsh

McKeever
Forde
Sean Brady

Pierson
Johnston
Eddie Reilly

Who am I forgetting? Is Cullivan on the panel?

Chances are Martin Cahill will start - I also wouldnt rule out Keogan starting some of his favourites like Crowe (a poor man's Dermot Sheridan in my opinion), McCutcheon, Mackey...

Rory Dunne to get a game around midfield too, ya heard it here first.

I have a feeling that this will be a very short summer, and that Keogan will still be manager this time next year.