Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Larry....its hard to believe but I am sure you are the only one on this board who fell for that one...as cavn4ever says

Quote from: cavan4ever on April 02, 2008, 08:08:33 AM
Lawerence  ;D ;D ;D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :Dhead banger

Cavanfan

Good April Fool it got someone on Hoganstand aswell :D I see there were a few more yesterday according to the papers today-not sport related.

So lads what do ya think our chances are on Sunday? If we play with confidence I think we can win. Mite be tough though being an away game.

mylestheslasher

I think we have a chance but what worries me is that tactics and ability to react to tactical changes on the other side will play a very big part. We will (or should be) trying to eliminate the threat of Glennon. I think Hannon will have to take him as Podge wasn't great on Sunday. We may look at a sweeper system to mop up in front of him too. But the 1st key to success is winning midfield. We need a really big game from the lads in there to win primary possesion. From what I am hearing W'Meaths midfield has been doing quite well  this year so it will be a challenge. Now the next thing we need to do is counter whatever W'Meath have in mind for Seanie Johnstone, who will no doubt get some close attention. Maybe they will play a sweeper too. This is what worries me because Keoghan has shown very little tactical know how in the league so far. I am hoping Johnstone can divert attention one way and that Pierson is fit and will fire on all cylinders. A big game from Pierson is the 2nd key I think. As for a prediction, well I think there will be no more than 1 or 2 points in it but not sure who will win.

Cavanfan

Is Pierson injured? I heard that's why he was taken off on Saturday. Yea Johnston is going to be a marked man for the rest of the year but against Cork in the 2nd half he had two on him and when he got quality ball he still did good. It's true we can't be relying on Johnston all year but I don't think we have too. If McCabe can pull it off at midfield I think that would be a huge bonus and if we get good games from Flanagan, McKeever,Lyng, Reilly and Pierson in the forward line I think we could win on Sunday. Hannon is having as good a year in the back line as Johnston is in the forward line so we have to hope he stays in form and injury free. Sherdian is also coming into his own in the back line and we know Podge is a good player I think a bit of fitness and he'll be there. I didn't understand why Fannin was dropped last week and he isn't injured as he played for the club on Sunday. I think a major problem is the constant changing of the team. Week in week out there has been at least four changes. I'm not saying that others don't deserve a chance but I do think it takes a game or two to link well. We seen on Saturday how Jelly and Lyng linked well and McCabe and Pierson did too and I think this id due to the fact that they are used to how each other play.

Hollow Man

What has happened to Sean Brady? On the Cavan senior panel seven years and still not a regular starter.

Is he fit?

He would be a potential midfielder if he got a run of fitness.

Just thinking abck to that minor team he was on - the likes of McKeever, Johnston, Paddy Brady (Gowna), Gaynor, Sean Brady - those five were absolutely brilliant minors, you'd think they would have carried a team on their own.

The likes of Shane Cole, Damien McInerny, Colin Gumley, Paddy Galligan and Padraig Cahill were on it as well among others. Best Cavan minor side I've seen.

Celt_Man

Perdictions for this wkend

Division 1 
Castlerahan v Mullahoran - Mullahorn, C'rahan will miss their county boys more
Gowna v Belturbet - Belturbet same reason as above
Cavan Gaels v Cuchulainns Gaels will up their game after defeat last week, Gaels by 3
Lavey v Ballinagh think Lavey will sneak this one
Killygarry v Ballyhaise draw
Crosserlough v Denn C'lough tough to beat at home, win by 2/3 pts
Lacken v Drumalee lDrumalee to sneak this against a lacken without galligan and finbarr

Division 2
Drumlane v Drumgoon - Goonies by a few pts
Killeshandra v Drung - Killeshandra to continue impressive start
Bailieboro v Cootehill -  Celtics by 2
Killinkere v Redhills -  Redhills to keep good start going
Shercock v Knockbride - Larry to beat shercock on his own
Ramor Utd. v Ballymachugh - Ramor should be able to take B'hugh with at least 5 pts to spare
Cavan Gaels v Kingscourt Stars Gaels without many of their senior players, Stars by 4

Division 3 - Round 4:
Cornafean v Kildallan - Cornafean to turn around earlier brutal performances with narrow win
Shannon Gaels v Arva - another close one... go for a draw???
Mountnugent v Swanlinbar - Swad without J. Cunningham could struggle but still should win by a poitn or two
Kill v Corlough - Kill win by few points
Laragh v Munterconnacht - tough one to call, maybe laragh might sneak it
Crosserlough v Maghera - maghera to sneak this as it will be second C'lough game that day
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Hollow Man on April 02, 2008, 03:47:02 PM
Best Cavan minor side I've seen.

It was pretty good alright. Is that the one beat Down the first day out in Casement and came a cropper later on? I think Sean Brady might have got a goal that day, but he's been always injured since.

I'd have to say, I personally rated Keogan's minor team a few years later as a better prospect. But sure it never matters how good they are, they always choke!

gortnaleck

Cavan's teams of all grades have not had an above average freetaker since Ronan Carolan and I think that is why we suffer so many close losses rather than choking.I hope Seanie is the next good one but I'm old school and would rather have someone kick off the ground

mylestheslasher

Quote from: gortnaleck on April 03, 2008, 02:10:12 AM
Cavan's teams of all grades have not had an above average freetaker since Ronan Carolan and I think that is why we suffer so many close losses rather than choking.I hope Seanie is the next good one but I'm old school and would rather have someone kick off the ground

There is no doubt that kicking of the ground is the most accurate way to take a free. I don't think Johnstone is really an answer from frees as I think his range is really only 30 - 35m. Outside that you'll find McCabe will start to take them. When Carolan was on song anything within 50m was scorable. It suprises me that teams in football don't try and work on developing place kickers. I mean a few years ago Lyng was knocking them over from 45m (Ulster semi vrs Tyrone) and now he doesn't take a free anymore. In fact, half our team have been free takers in the last few years. Mad Eddie, Johnstone, Pierson, McKeever, McCabe, Lyng and  Finbarr Reilly have all had a go that I remember.

cavan4sam

yea lyng was an excellent free taker, in fact he was equally adapt with both feet from the placed baal, however since his groin injuries, he is not allowed to take frees.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Thastheball on April 03, 2008, 10:17:58 AM
Finbar hit a few beauties against waterford a few years ago >:( resulting in a defeat, before he did a runner in the middle of ulster championship as vice captain. Still a disgrace thats he is back in the panel

Good result at the weekend, gives us some hope thaty we have some decent players who need help with getting direction. But it is so typical of us, one big performance followed by a pile of tripe performances.

He had a bad day at the office that day but any player can have a bad day. I don't think it was fair to make Finbarr a scapegoat for that defeat (which is what the manage did). 14 other players that day were pretty brutal too. I'm not going to drag up the Finbarr Reilly argument here again, we just finished the Seanie Johnstone argument!

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on April 03, 2008, 12:33:55 PM

I was part of that panel and remember really believing we were going places that year,but Im sure every Cavan Minor can say the same about every team since.
:( :( :(

I think that is a problem with our minor teams they believe all the hype and this then affects performance on the field.  >:(

Lawrence of Knockbride

Talking of Finbar (which we're not) what's going on with him. He started against Down, disappeared, came on against Meath and never touched the ball and then no sign last week? Also Myles, Mickey Brennan was dropped after the Waterford game. He was outstanding against Westmeath in the previous game at midfield but was moved to wing-back against the mighty deise and was poor. He never as much as got a substitute appearance in the remaining two/three (?) championship games. Luckily Drumalee had more sense than Lacken to start whinging and putting forward a vote of no confidence. Sorry, it's closed now.

Homer

Quote from: boojangles on April 03, 2008, 12:33:55 PM
It was pretty good alright. Is that the one beat Down the first day out in Casement and came a cropper later on? I think Sean Brady might have got a goal that day, but he's been always injured since.

That Minor team was 2002 that You're referring to.We bet Donegal in Breifne in 1st round with McKeever outstanding at Full-Forward.He gave Karl Lacey(who has since won an All-Star) the run around that day.Our Seniors lost that day(after losing the League Final to Tyrone) despite Pierson kicking 10 points!!We then beat Down in Ballybay by 5 points with a great team performance,Paddy Galligan saving a penalty.We then played Derry in Brewster Park on a miserable wet day,Paddy Brady had to go off at half-time and we went down by 4 points.Derry after a big scare in the Ulster Final went on to hammer all before them(including Meath in the final) before lifting the Tom Markham cup.Players from that panel who have played Senior county include Padraig Cahill,Dermot McGlade,Anthony Gaynor,Paddy Brady,Sean Brady,Sean Johnston,MarkMcKeever,Niall Madden,Peter Monaghan.
Tony Brady was Manager with Fintan Cahill,Niall Brady and Jimmy Carroll selectors.Niall Lynch and PJ Lee also helped with the training.
I was part of that panel and remember really believing we were going places that year,but Im sure every Cavan Minor can say the same about every team since.
:( :( :(

Remember it like it was only yesterday.
The Donegal game as you say with McKeever unstoppable, and a little known Anthony Gaynor putting in a tremendous performance at CHB
The evening game against Down in Ballybay again you've mentioned Galligan's penalty save, Paddy Brady sealing the match with a 60 yard free-kick
The trip all the way up to Ballybofey just for it to be called off a half hour before the throw in
The re-fixed game against Derry when the lads just kicked themselves out of it, Paddy Brady leaves the field at half time injured, played crap and still could have beat them
The sick feeling watching Derry coast there way to a All-Ireland title.

Jesus I'm depressed all over again.  :-\

That was an excellent team alright. It's hard to believe that at that time people were divided over who was better Seanie Johnston or Colin Gumley?

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 03, 2008, 01:41:45 PM
Talking of Finbar (which we're not) what's going on with him. He started against Down, disappeared, came on against Meath and never touched the ball and then no sign last week?

Finbar had a re-occurrence of a old shoulder injury around that time and was out for a while with it, not sure why he has never found himself in contention since.

North Longford

Jesus lads I remeber that Cavan minor team. I was absolutely certain that they and Longford would end up meeting in the All Ireland series. (Longford won Leinster that year). I remember Cavan/Longford played a challenge just before the championship and Longford won by a couple of points but I would have had no great confidence in them doing it again. Moyne CC had a team that won the All Ireland colleges B at an absolute canter. They were probably as good as any team in the A championship and they had 5 of the Longford minors and 5 of the Cavan minors playing for them. It was an exceptional team and an awful pity they hadn't been in the A. Derry beat Longford easily in the All Ireland semi but it was a day that Longford just didn't play. It was their 8th game as they had to take part in a preliminary group for the weaker Leinster counties. It looked like it was just a game too many. They had already beaten Meath in the Leinster Final but Meath ended up getting further than them! There are 5 of the Longford lads now on the senior panel.  The star of the minor team didn't even make the U21 team 3 years later. Its strange how different guys come through and some don't. How many of that Cavan team made it through