Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

The win is good for the team to build on but that was a poor cork team.   

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on March 31, 2008, 09:47:09 PM
I agree with what Lawrence is saying above as there is still a question mark over his dedication and also what his includion in the panel does to team morale elsewhere.

I wasnt on the Board for any of the Chicago 3 episode(I was ironically in America playin Ball myself) and I certainly dont wanna be dragging it back up again but I cant really understand how Myles and Laurence yas can question Johnstons dedication to Cavan.Ok fair enough he went to Chicago to get away for a few months and view some of the world but I know Sean quite well and I know that if every other Cavan player trained and looked after himself as well as Jelly then we would be competing with the big boys in Ulster.Do Cavan supporters expect our county footballers to stay round Cavan until they're 30 something and never venture out until they retire??He was pissed off with the decision of Keoghan to drop him and he took the chance to head Stateside and earn a few pound.I did the same last summer,I came home on the Thursday before our 1st round Championship match and started,Are you saying that I shouldnt b allowed play with my club this year???
There was never a problem with team morale in Tyrone after McGuigan and Hughes came back from Austrailia was there?
The big mistake made was Keoghan sayin they would never play under him again and then going back on his word which made him look like a bigger Idiot.
At least Jelly probably realised he owed the supporters an apology and he his paying us back in the best possible way.Top Scorer in the Naational League so far is a good start I reckon.

I don't expect our players to stay around until they are 30 something and never see the world. What I do expect is that when a player makes a commitment to management, fellow players and his county that he see it through to the end. Johnstone took someone else place on the panel. Got the huff cos he was dropped and instead of standing up like a man and showing Keoghan he was the player he is, he pissed off to the US and let his teammates down. We were still in the championship at that time. Tyrones players did not leave mid championship, the opted out at the start of the year. If they had done what Johnstone did Mickey Harte would not have stood for it (look how he handled the students playing for colleges issue last year). As to your own case, if you went to the US and came back and played the next w'end in the championship I'd say you have a manger who is of the same calibre as Keoghan. You just  took the place of a team mate who probably trained hard for a couple of months while you were away having the craic. What did that decision do his and the rest of the teams morale? If I were your manager you would have had to prove yourself at training for a couple of weeks before I'd consider giving you a run out as a sub. Maybe my standards of discipline are just higher than everyones elses?

All that said, I'd like to think  that Johnstone is sorry he did what he did and that this year he will make ammends on the field of play. He has certainly started of very well but now comes a new challenge as he will be a marked man, possibly double marked and will be on the end of all sorts of abuse on the field.

Mr. Pain

Mr. Pain is thinking of throwing in his lot with this website. The Hogan Stand has gone to fcuk and Mr. Pain has stated this under a thread someone made up about the Cavan jersey. It's debatable if it will be posted or not. This site it now superior. Mr. Pain gives it three thumbs up and a cool face. Rant over! 8)
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Mr. Pain on April 01, 2008, 10:32:59 AM
Mr. Pain is thinking of throwing in his lot with this website. The Hogan Stand has gone to fcuk and Mr. Pain has stated this under a thread someone made up about the Cavan jersey. It's debatable if it will be posted or not. This site it now superior. Mr. Pain gives it three thumbs up and a cool face. Rant over! 8)

Hoganstand messageborad is total shite. I must have got banned or something a while ago cos no matter what I post it never gets up on it and then you look at what does get posted and you have to wonder is a 12 year old girl running the board.

Cavanfan

Mr. Pain's message got posted. Good win on Sat night by the lads! Johnston was class in the forward line. McCabe hit some lovely ball in as did Lyng when he came on. Eddie did some good hard slogging to win ball. And I thought moving Hannon earlier on was one of Mr. Keoghan's better tactical moves this year. How do ye think they will get on this weekend, they'll have a bit of confidence now. Yea hope Johnstons ankle is okay.

cavanmaniac

Encouraging stuff on Saturday night, most of all was that we had the balls to hang on in a tight game.

Johnston was outstanding but I agree with the posters who say that he owes us this after last summer. A fine performance in a league game on wet night in March, vital and outstanding though it was, does not for me wipe out what was a very selfish and spoilt brat act last summer. But fair play to Seanie regardless, all will be forgiven if he keeps this up and doesn't sulk again if he happens to be dropped, which is highly unlikely anyway.

We went to Westmeath two years ago for a crucial league tie and on a miserable day in Mullingar, Keith Fannin parked as a free defender in front of the full-forward line and cut out any ball going in near Dolan. Westmeath were clueless without his scoring threat and Larry bagged some classy points near the end to secure the win. Unfortunately the Waterford debacle came afterwards, but hopefully we can get two wins in our last two games and see where the Gods take us after that. You'd never assume we've turned a corner as this is a Keogan team with many faults and Cork had way less training done than us, but fingers crossed, eh?

footballmad

Quote from: cavanmaniac on April 01, 2008, 11:18:21 AM
Encouraging stuff on Saturday night, most of all was that we had the balls to hang on in a tight game.

Johnston was outstanding but I agree with the posters who say that he owes us this after last summer. A fine performance in a league game on wet night in March, vital and outstanding though it was, does not for me wipe out what was a very selfish and spoilt brat act last summer. But fair play to Seanie regardless, all will be forgiven if he keeps this up and doesn't sulk again if he happens to be dropped, which is highly unlikely anyway.

sorry to be the one to inform you but seanie owes you nothing

mylestheslasher

Quote from: footballmad on April 01, 2008, 12:20:57 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on April 01, 2008, 11:18:21 AM

sorry to be the one to inform you but seanie owes you nothing

Really insightful post there.

Heres one for you all. If every Cavan player under Keoghan left the country after being dropped would we have much of a panel left? Damn right, he owes us something. We are the people who drive up and down the country watching Cavan and supporting Cavan. Seanie strikes me as someone who enjoys being cheered by the crowd. Football has made him a household name in Cavan and has given him an element of fame. He owes Cavan football quite a bit as do all county footballers. I don't know the lad so I have no bias for or against him. I am glad he is playing well. I hope he goes on to be known by his children and grandchildren as one of the best forwards Cavan ever produced, but what he did last year was wrong. I am leaving it there as I don't want to get involved in a negative exchange about the lad when we should just be congratulating him on his performance at the weekend.

footballmad

agree with you there about not getting into it again, its well discussed at this stage but you still didnt get my point, my post may not have been that insightfull after all  ::) seanie dose not owe you anything or any cavan fan including myself anything. what dose he owe you? (rhetorical question)

cavanmaniac

You're right footballmad. He owes me nothing, and I never suggested that he did either.

I was more thinking of the team mates he'd trained with all year, the manager (whatever you think of him) and coaching staff that had worked with him, built plans around, not to mention the string of people in his club who had no doubt voluntarily given of their free time and effort to mould his huge natural talent into the player he has become today. He's on a scholarship to DCU/gets GPA grants (not sure which) as well due to his involvement with Cavan, you might have forgotten that, and I'm sure his profile opens other doors for him also.

Have you ever heard of a thing called loyalty, or being a team player, not to mention not being a cry baby and spitting the dummy even if your cerebrally challenged manager decides to drop you?

I'd have had no problems with Seanie leaving had he signalled his intentions to do so early in the year like the more considerate players in Kerry and Tyrone did. To up sticks and leave in the middle of championship was very poor form.

But look, like myles rightly says, this shouldn't be a time for recriminations for past actions, it's done with now and everyone involved is moving on. The guy has just turned in one of the best individual performances I've ever seen in a Cavan shirt, on which basis he could soon be among the top five forwards in the country. He deserves our congratulations and admiration and perhaps now he has learned his lesson and can get on with the business of being a top class intercounty forward and our brightest hope in a dark and lean time.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Fair play to all (almost) of ye. Not a black & white issue the Seanie one but the grey areas have been well highlighted (in grey) and open minds remain. That f**king hoganstand. 12 year olds is right. I was on it a couple of weeks ago and someone (possibly Donal Keoghan) posted what will surely be graffitied on walls for centuries to come - "Gowna for Sam" which was followed by "Da Gaels will hammer Yis".

Anyway, just a little update on Saturday's game and this time remarkably it's in defence of Keoghan. Both Pierson & Watters had injuries and are doubtful for Sunday. Hamstring & Groin injuries repsectively. McCutcheon on the other hand played midfield for Cootehill on Sunday so not so sure about that one.

shotstopper1

Quotewas more thinking of the team mates he'd trained with all year, the manager (whatever you think of him) and coaching staff that had worked with him, built plans around, not to mention the string of people in his club who had no doubt voluntarily given of their free time and effort to mould his huge natural talent into the player he has become today. He's on a scholarship to DCU/gets GPA grants (not sure which) as well due to his involvement with Cavan, you might have forgotten that, and I'm sure his profile opens other doors for him also.

1. If you were to build plans around a player,surely you'd start him in your biggest game of the year?

2. It's the persons dedication to the game what makes them the player they are.People can try to nuture talented footballers but if the lads haven't the dedication it will come to nought.I'd argue that it was Johnston's dedication to the game which got him involved with Cavan in the first place,and it was this dedication that has risen his profile and opened doors, as you say, for him.

QuoteWe are the people who drive up and down the country watching Cavan and supporting Cavan.

As has being said Cavan supporters are a very fickle bunch.Some of the lads travel more in a week to training and matches than most Cavan people do in a year.

The only person Seanie Johnston owes is himself.

cavanmaniac

Interesting logic shotstopper.

So any time a manager makes a bum selection, a player can feel entitled to spit the dummy and bugger off with an important championship game around the corner? It's a good thing for Kerry that Maurice Fitzgerald had a more corinthian and less selfish attitude (Seanie owes nobody but himself etc. etc.) back when Paudie was keeping him benched yet he still kept coming on and doing the business like a real sportsman, as evidenced when he sliced over that free against Dublin in Thurles. He'd have done well to kick it if he was in Chicago.

"It's the persons dedication to the game what makes them the player they are. People can try to nuture talented footballers but if the lads haven't the dedication it will come to nought."

Precisely. It's a two-way street between coaches and player - all the talent in the world can equally be squandered without proper mentoring and good influence from an early age - but Seanie took the one-way option when he went to the States with a vital match around the corner. I don't deny he's been dedicated and from people who know him personally, I hear the lad absolutely lives for football, but he let alot of people down, mostly himself, when he went. Like I said, I hope he now knows that what he did was wrong and he can concentrate on developing into an even better player than he is, and perhaps if he wants to go the USA in future summers, he'll make his arrangements in winter and then head off in July with everyone's blessing, mine included.

cavan4ever

This has being flogged to death at this stage.  I think it is good that he is back and playing well but cavan are no better off with him than they were without him.

Celt_Man

Anyway, just a little update on Saturday's game and this time remarkably it's in defence of Keoghan. Both Pierson & Watters had injuries and are doubtful for Sunday. Hamstring & Groin injuries repsectively. McCutcheon on the other hand played midfield for Cootehill on Sunday so not so sure about that one.

Naa John wasn't injured, he was just taken off... another one of Keogan's infamous substitutions
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010